PDA

View Full Version : Next years back situation

MichiSteeler
02-13-2006, 03:21 PM
I want to discuss the running back situation for next year, what are everybodies ideas, opinions, theories, whatever?

I personally wouldnt want to see Willie carry the load by himself, all year. As far as Duce goes who knows, he seemed really good in that one game he played but not sure how consistent he can be. I'd like to see them give Verron Haynes a decent shot. He is sort of a small bus, I'd like to try making him the feature back. Whats all your guys' opinions?

rowedf
02-13-2006, 03:26 PM
I think they'll go Parker primary back (15+) carries then Staley (IF, they restructure him) being the compliment. I think they are very happy with Haynes as the 3rd down back and will keep him in that role. I don't see them bringing a FA in unless they either don't restructure Deuce or do not think he'll hold up in that role.

clevestinks
02-13-2006, 03:52 PM
First we need to sign Haynes! Then Willie is the man, ith Staley picking up alot bigger role, idf healthy, probably a Bus type role. I still say we need to draft or bring in a back

WeNowHave5
02-13-2006, 04:33 PM
We should try to get Jamaal Lewis, the bus replacement. I believe he's available. We need to get our runningn game back. Not having a "consistent" running game put us in precarious situations in the superbowl.

I see Duce possibly retiring. He's getting injured way too often.

SmashMouthSteelerFan
02-13-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with everyone! I think Deuce will be the new goto guy next year. He is a lot like the bus and he has stated that he wants to fill that role. He also stated that Jerome has been a big influence on him and I know those two have become very good friends.

I don't know if he'll be as good as Jerome or if he will even remain healthy enough to be our starter, but I think our running game hinges on whether or not he is or does!!! JM2C

clevestinks
02-13-2006, 05:29 PM
i WOULD RATHER give Duce another shot , than to bring Lewis and his problems here. Besides he seem to be injured as much as Duce

tony hipchest
02-13-2006, 05:33 PM
everybody keep in mind the similarities between duce and jerome. in 2001 season jerome had a muscle pull that slowed him down for several years. remember when he was washed up and on the verge of getting cut? this happened in the same year he was on pace to lead the league in rushing. much like staley was through the 1st 7 games of the 2004 season. the steelers staff is familiar with this. i still believe if staley remains healthy he is the absolute perfect replacement for bus with a little more upside from what jerome offered this year. hes made good money with a light workload. a paycut isnt to much to ask of him, and theres still room on the roster to draft and groom another rb. the steelers went into this past season very happy with the 4 they had. as well they should. it was a winning combination. and lets remember jerome was hurt too this year at the beginning. its not like duce is super fragile and jerome was always healthy.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-13-2006, 05:35 PM
There is no doubt that duce can be the starter and have a 1,000 yard season. He did great last year when he played.....The only problem is that hes been hurt more than healthy. Even when he was in Phily, he was very injury prone, missing many games.....
If he could take care of his injury problems he will end up the starter, but right now Willie is the starter, and if he works our and puts on about 10-15 lbs over the offseason, maybe duec wont even have a chance

Ambridge
02-13-2006, 05:49 PM
I think they'll go Parker primary back (15+) carries then Staley (IF, they restructure him) being the compliment. I think they are very happy with Haynes as the 3rd down back and will keep him in that role. I don't see them bringing a FA in unless they either don't restructure Deuce or do not think he'll hold up in that role.

If Duce doesn't want to restructure I'd say bite the bullet, take the cap hit and look for a more reliable back.
The Steelers are in a good position to ask Duce to redo his deal especially after this past year.

Prosdo
02-13-2006, 05:57 PM
i WOULD RATHER give Duce another shot , than to bring Lewis and his problems here.

I second that.

clevestinks
02-13-2006, 05:59 PM
I cannot see Duce being a featured back for us. When was th elast time he played 12 games in a season??? Willie can break th ebig one at any time, this helps our passing game so much, they have to respect Willie going the distance! I here alot of talk about Duce being so much like Bettis, and thats fine. But we aree starting to buck that trend a little. We now have a passing attack, and speed in the backfield. This isn`t the old Steelers

tony hipchest
02-13-2006, 06:17 PM
I cannot see Duce being a featured back for us. When was th elast time he played 12 games in a season??? Willie can break the big one at any time, this helps our passing game so much, they have to respect Willie going the distance! I here alot of talk about Duce being so much like Bettis, and thats fine. But we aree starting to buck that trend a little. We now have a passing attack, and speed in the backfield. This isn`t the old Steelerswillie should definitely be the featured back. if healthy he can easilly be a 1500 yd back next year. he is alot like ben and ike taylor. WAY ahead of the curve as far as not having experience at their respective positions go. he carried more last year than he did the entire time in college. he is young and fresh with a ton of upside. emmit smith was once considered too small. ladainian tomlinson has had his share of injuries. fred taylor is huge at 230 and has trouble staying healthy.

willie neads to feel he is the man and im sure he will break out. he is so humble and respectful of jerome and duce he has tried not to step on any toes. personally i think bringing in competition could do more harm to his development than good. give him the confidence of being "the guy" and he could really blossom. he wouldnt feel threatened with duce being there as opposed to bringing someone like j. lewis or r. williams in.

FanecaFan66
02-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Parker had a 1200 yard season. And if Staley stays healthy we will have a very solid backfield. Besides, we have a franchise QB (who hopefully the FO will lock up next offseason), and its time to start building the offense around him.

There will NEVER be another JB, so lets please put this Jamal Lewis talk to rest. There are many other issues to be addressed on this team, and the backfield will remain the same, minus the retirement of Bettis.

However, I had heard a few weeks ago Haynes was looking for starting RB $$$ from someone. i doubt he'll recieve those kind of offers, and he should hopefully be back. He could be a work horse down the road.

blackngoldbaby
02-13-2006, 07:57 PM
I SAY THAT DUCE NEEDS 2 GO I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST HIM BUT HE SEEMS ALWAYS INJUREDAND JUST STANDS ON THE SIDELINES I THINK WE SHOULD BRING IN ANOTHER RELIABLE RUNNING BACK I JUST DONT THINK DUCE CAN GET THE JOB DONE AND IM NOT 2 SURE ABOUT RAY COMIN 2 THE STEELERS. I JUST THINK THATS THE BEST THING 2 DO.

Suitanim
02-13-2006, 08:06 PM
It must be the offseason...we must have at least eight threads all (at least tangentially) discussing the same subject, and most of the same people posting their opinions in all eight!

I'm not knocking it...it's what makes the offseason fun!

FanecaFan66
02-13-2006, 08:59 PM
If Staley is used in a reduced role similar to JB. I think he will be very productive and could stay healthy enough. A lot of fans across the league no matter what team love to talk about sexy free agent moves or draft picks. But the RB position is one that won't be addressed by either the draft of free agency this year, and thats the right move.

Willie Parker is a few crash courses in being patient and running between the tackles away from having consistant 1200-1500 seasons. But if Staley is used right his production statistically may go down, but then the two together could be extremely dangerous.
I like the idea of a depth chart with 39, 22, and 34 loading the backfield from 1st to 3rd down

Petesburgh66
02-14-2006, 12:25 AM
Duce will battle Willie for the number # 1 RB spot in training camp. But if he doesn't stay healthy this upcoming season, then I can see Duce being cut the following season.

DJJorel
02-14-2006, 01:56 AM
What if we trade up to go for Lendale White out of USC? We traded up to get Polamalu...and he was well worth it....

neohiobill
02-14-2006, 08:10 AM
well hopefully i will be proved wrong, but i have seen nothing so far from duce other than he doesn't contribute. playing 8 out of 36 games is not what i would deem as productive, and as far as being good,, they are all good at this level,, and we need a player that will bang the defense around and not run the ball 3 times and have to sit out because of a injury he was aware of 8 months prior. if duce takes a pay cut,, and i mean a notable one than i would keep him,, if not than there are alot of good options we can go after that i feel would produce more than him. 700 plus yards in two seasons and a superbowl run,,, would you pay 4 mil. for that? go steelers..

BigBenFan4ever
02-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Guy this was Willies rookie season really (First year starter). You look at rookie Rb's in there first year most don't do as good as Willie did. I think we see a stronger Willie next year and he will show he can handle the load. We need a big back to replace the bus I say T.J. Duckett if we get him at a good price. Then there is Dayne Cowher likes him. If non of these guys then draft a big strong RB in the draft.

FanecaFan66
02-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Ron Dayne was a bust in New York, I'm not really sure where he plays now, nor does it matter because if you don't know where he plays now it probably means he's not producing either. The days of brusing the ball with a runner a 255lbs. are over in pittsburgh.

Lendale White would be tremendous for the system. But I doubt in all seriousness he will be around at the 32nd pick, he'll probably be drafted in the first 15 or 20 picks and I can't see Pittsburgh trading up that far for him.

FanecaFan66
02-14-2006, 09:35 AM
strike that I believe Dayne plays in Denver