PDA

View Full Version : Close friends Farrior, Foote compete for same job

pete74
08-01-2010, 02:27 PM
LATROBE, Pa. (AP)—James Farrior(notes) and Larry Foote(notes) are close friends who teamed up as the inside linebackers on the Pittsburgh Steelers’ last two Super Bowl-winning teams.

Foote loosens up the locker room with his nonstop chattering and incessant arguing on any subject. Farrior is the defense’s acknowledged leader, a reliable perfectionist who’s always in the right position to make a tackle or shut down a play.

Last season changed everything. Foote was miserable losing in Detroit, relocating there only so he could remain a starter. Farrior remained Pittsburgh’s top tackler but the quality of his play admittedly slipped as the Steelers missed the playoffs.

Back in Pittsburgh this season, Foote intends to remain a starter. To do that, he must beat out Farrior, the oldest starter on one of the NFL’s oldest defenses—and a player who isn’t the least bit interested in giving up his job.

steeltheone
08-01-2010, 05:25 PM
, a reliable perfectionist who’s always in the right position to make a tackle or shut down a play.

Yes, 2 years ago. Love Farrior. He shouldnt be a starter on this team. Foote is a great BACKUP!

lionslicer
08-01-2010, 06:45 PM
, a reliable perfectionist who’s always in the right position to make a tackle or shut down a play.

Yes, 2 years ago. Love Farrior. He shouldnt be a starter on this team. Foote is a great BACKUP!

Farrior shouldn't be a starter and Foote is a great backup, so who should start? lol

pete74
08-01-2010, 06:51 PM
farrior has lost a step but he still led the team in tackels last season so its obvious he is important. i would rather see farrior and timmons in there with foote taking snaps for each

DanRooney
08-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Foote loosens up the locker room with his nonstop chattering and incessant arguing on any subject. Farrior is the defense’s acknowledged leader, a reliable perfectionist who’s always in the right position to make a tackle or shut down a play.

Not when the games on the line on 4th down. :noidea:

steeltheone
08-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Farrior shouldn't be a starter and Foote is a great backup, so who should start? lol

Farrior was the man 2 years ago and Foote is a backup only. Thats what i meant. We don't have the answer there yet.

Goat27
08-02-2010, 03:19 AM
Foote, well I always called him slip, because when he was on a tackle he seemed to always slip down the body of the ball carrier instead of knocking him backwards for a loss or just tackle him period.

pete74
08-02-2010, 04:39 AM
i really liked Fox when he played for timmons. he seemed to be all over the place and looked good in pass coverage. before the draft i thought there was a chance that timmons would eventually take harrison's place and fox or a draft pick would move to ILB'er but obviousle thats not going to happen now. i think timmons could be a great OLB'er. when we let him rush the QB he looks great and i feel he is playing out of position as ILB'er

truesteelerfan
08-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Should be a good camp battle. May the best man win. We'll see if Foote's youth with experience can outbattle James's years of experience and craftiness. It may be sad to see it change, but maybe those slips we saw last year in Farrior's step have gotten worse after another year of aging? Looking forward to seeing all of it! But either way, a great sub if the starter gets injured.

kirklandrules
08-02-2010, 01:32 PM
O.k. this article just confuses me. Foote is a run stuffing ILB while Farrior is a scraper who flows to the run and provides coverage in the passing game. Foote will not take Farrior's role as he never had the capabilities to provide consistent pass coverage. He is very good at taking on O-linemen in the run game, but won't make the transition to Farrior's spot. I think Timmons is more in line with the type of ILB needed to play Farrior's role (and he's much faster). So I would have Farrior/Timmons competing for that weakside ILB and Foote/Fox competing for the strongside (run stopping) ILB.

And you can't move Farrior to the strong side because he drops down to 218 lbs when the playoffs come around and that's just not big enough to shed those 300+ lbs O-linemen.

So, is this article just another example of someone in the media who never played the game (at any level) and therefore, puts together these ridiculous scenarios? :noidea: