PDA

View Full Version : Breakout Year For Vick

Livinginthe past
02-14-2006, 11:40 AM
It didn't take long did it?

The season is barely over and we already have our first pro-Vick article.

NFL.com 'expert' Vic Carucci informs us in his latest article that Michael Vick can be 'pretty effective when throwing the ball' - this is based on his Pro-Bowl performance.

But then Carucci goes on to tell us that Vicks performance was 'far from spectacular' and 'didn't even qualify as strong'.....eh?

So this is yet another article praising Michael Vick - but then it tells us the one performance he is being judged on was weak?

Im confused.

Guess what Vick has in his favor?

Thats right - a 'strong, talented arm' - so strong that most opposition DB's have a hard time holding on to the ball when it comes their way!

Cue : various NFC players telling us that Vick has 'all the throws' - which apparently include some that land within a 20 yard radius of his receiver.

Vick's final stats?

4/12 69Yds 1TD 1 INT.

Worthy of an article or two on a national network I am sure.

Ill leave you with a final quote from Larry Fitzgerald - "He did the things that good players and great players need to do to help his team win," Fitzgerald said of Vick. "And he definitely did them today."

NM

drizze99
02-14-2006, 11:54 AM
LMAO! I love these experts!! Vick is SOOOOO over-rated, it's not even funny. He has arm strength and I'll him that, BUT what good is it if he can't hit the WR? IMO, Vick is not Pro Bowl worthy and he doesn't even make my top 10 QB's in today's NFL.

Ambridge
02-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Vick is a jerk, not a team guy and is very over-rated.

Did you happen to read any of that article about him last week before the Pro Bowl??
It's a laugh.

IMO Matt Schaub is the better QB on the Falcons roster.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11260203/

Atlanta Dan
02-14-2006, 12:33 PM
The Mike Vick bandwagon definitely is dropping off passengers here in the ATL.

Starting with his abysmal performance in last year's NFC Championship game, Vick subsequently has taken heat for the Ron Mexico incident, getting in the media's face after he had one of his few good passing games against the Dolphins, the Falcons fade at the end of the season, and last week's interview when he questioned the offensive scheme.

Lots of whispers that Vick does not have a great work ethic, specifically with regard to studying film and learning how to recognize defenses. Vick is only 25, but he does not have sufficient bulk to take the hits that result from the nature of his current game and consequently misses gamnes every season. Pressure on Vick, Mora and (because he signed off on that huge contract before Vick had accomplished much) Arthur Blank next season.

Whenever I want to get a rise out of my friends who are Falcon fans, I compare Vick to Kordell, who was said by Mike T'zak,among others, to not put in the off the field work. When you look at their passer ratings it is not an unjustified comparison.

Atlanta Dan
02-14-2006, 12:36 PM

Did you happen to read any of that article about him last week before the Pro Bowl??
It's a laugh.

Schaub's contract is up after next year and he will not be back - he is too good a QB to sit on the bench behind the alleged future of football.

Word is Falcons are willing to trade Schaub for a #2 pick (to the Dolphins?) in order to get something for him before he leaves after 2006.

SalukiSteelers
02-14-2006, 02:04 PM
When I first saw this I thought that maybe Marcus got sent to the pokey.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Vick has the ablity to become a monster QB,he has one of the strongest arms in the game.

But until he can actually hit his recievers consistantly,can read a defense,can audible due to being able to read a defense,and pateintly wait for a reciever to open up instead of taking off running he will never be considered a good QB.

CantStop85
02-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Ill leave you with a final quote from Larry Fitzgerald - "He did the things that good players and great players need to do to help his team win," Fitzgerald said of Vick. "And he definitely did them today."

Yeah, he made some great decisions in the Pro Bowl...like throwing the ball 50 feet in the air and praying that someone on his team would catch it. I just can't wait until he's making those same kind of decisions for the Falcons again. It's a mystery how they missed the playoffs this year. :dang:

Suitanim
02-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Vick sucked, sucks, and will suck at QB. He got by on athletic ability for a few years, but he has definitely proved that he doesn't have the brains to play NFL QB.

augustashark
02-15-2006, 12:56 AM
I know it won't happen but if Atlanta was smart they would trade Vick and keep Schaub...Schaub is a good QB and is more important to the Falcons for the long term-IMO!

Livinginthe past
02-15-2006, 02:02 AM

It's a laugh.

I agree.

I like Matt Schaub alot - he is just unlucky that he has to play 2nd fiddle to a 2nd rate 'franchise QB'.

He impressed me with his play against an admittedly weakened Pats secondary last year - he put the ball where only guys like Crumpler could get to it.

He appears to have a good temperament and his technique does not break down under pressure.

Whoever gets him will be lucky.

NM

Livinginthe past
02-15-2006, 02:07 AM
Vick has the ablity to become a monster QB,he has one of the strongest arms in the game.

But until he can actually hit his recievers consistantly,can read a defense,can audible due to being able to read a defense,and pateintly wait for a reciever to open up instead of taking off running he will never be considered a good QB.

I dont see how he can ever become an 'monster' QB to be honest.

All those things you mentioned Ben R has worked out and added to his game in under 2 years - after 5 years Vick has made absolutely no progress.

Unless Atlanta is willing to give up on this short passing game (which calls for the sort of accuracy Vick will never have) - Vick will only ever amount to some sportswriters excuse to ramble.

NM