PDA

View Full Version : Why Running Game Won't Improve

kirklandrules
08-04-2010, 04:12 PM
New FB discussed in PG today:

(Duane) Wright, who is 6 feet, 234 pounds, was signed as a fullback but considers himself more of a running back. And he showed that in his first practice with the Steelers after being released by the Philadelphia Eagles two days ago.

"I can do everything, but I'm more of a running back," said Wright, a fourth-round pick of the Buffalo Bills in 2007. "When the time comes to block, I'll block. I'll take you out if I have to block."

So we no longer have someone on the roster that considers himself a true FB (again)?

Link to the PG article:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10216/1077454-66.stm

Arians interview from the Tribune today:

Q: Are questions about the running game overblown?

A: “We always want to run the ball. We ran the ball well last year from the 20 to 20. It was the short-yardage, goal line, end-of-the-game that didn’t measure up to our standards. We gave the ball back to the other team a couple of times and lost games because we couldn’t run out the clock. We want to keep our passing game right where it was and just improve those situations that are critical running areas.”

So Arians thinks we ran the ball well except for the situations that call for a real commitment to run.

Link to the Trib article:
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/08/03/bruce-arians-speaks/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Once again we don't have a key component to running the ball and an OC that still thinks a team can just turn it on when it needs to (total failure to understand running the ball effectively is a result of a commitment to the run).
:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging::bang ing::banging::banging:

pete74
08-04-2010, 04:25 PM
agreed. nothing will change this year if the team dosnt do something about it

supa_fly_steeler
08-04-2010, 04:49 PM
hopefully ben throws a bullet ball at his head and he rolls onto the floor dead.

i dont care if that's unclassy to say, it will be hard to get back to the super bowl with his play calling.

kirklandrules
08-04-2010, 05:04 PM
And just as a disclaimer ... I'm not an Arians hater. I love what he did with the passing game ... but would really enjoy seeing less of our punter and kicker because we have short yardage conversions. I'd also love to see Legursky at FB on more of those short yardage situations ... he looked great early last year when they converted a goalline running play and that was the last we saw of it (both Legursky at FB and goalline running touchdowns).

BlockMonsta
08-04-2010, 05:10 PM
hopefully ben throws a bullet ball at his head and he rolls onto the floor dead.

i dont care if that's unclassy to say, it will be hard to get back to the super bowl with his play calling.

Did he not get us to the super bowl with his playcalling before? I dont like BA, but we had a two 1000yd recivers and 100yd back. Then again there are times when his play calling makes no sense,,ie loss the the Jags in 07..

supa_fly_steeler
08-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Did he not get us to the super bowl with his playcalling before? I dont like BA, but we had a two 1000yd recivers and 100yd back. Then again there are times when his play calling makes no sense,,ie loss the the Jags in 07..

No he didn't get us to the superbowl, Dick Lebeau and the defense did, how dare you mutter that sentence when he's about to go into the hall of fame.

And he had 1 decent playcall during the super bowl, the bootleg that was it.

And it was Santonio and Ben who won us the super bowl with the o-line.

100yd back

yeah a 100 yard back is real good, chris johnson had 2000.... that's 1900 more.

Steelerfreak58
08-04-2010, 08:05 PM
If the running game doesn't improve you can say good bye to Arians if its another play-off missed year.

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-04-2010, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=kirklandrules;832224]So Arians thinks we ran the ball well except for the situations that call for a real commitment to run.

That would be supported by the facts, to some degree. We ranked #19 on the ground, but that is just mostly measuring raw yardage.

Mendenhall made the most with limited carries. He averaged 4.6 YPC this last season-- that is running the ball well.

The low yardage totals were because we simply did not run the ball very often. Me personally, I couldn't care less what our run to pass ration was, so long as we used our running plays correctly-- to setup the play action and on short-yardage situations (those two or three 3rd and longs against Cleveland, when we came out 5 wide, were perfect examples--those should have been running plays).

None of that requires a fullback, Mendy's 4.6 YPC proves that.

steeltheone
08-04-2010, 09:04 PM
The only reason our running game went anywhere was because of the pass. Our OL is not that good. When we ran the ball in the past we had Pro Bowlers and studs manning the line. We have failed at replacing them, due to poor drafting and filling other needs. You guys can cry all you want about running the ball. We have a million dollar gunslinger whom has proved he can pass us to victory.

PhantomJB93
08-04-2010, 10:09 PM
I really wish MT would let Ben take the reigns and run a no huddle Peyton Manning style offense where the actual OC doesnt really do anything...the offense always seems to click better when Ben takes full control...

whatdoiknow
08-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Here is the BOTTOM LINE Uninformed ones. In 2008 we ran for LESS yardage than in 2009. We had a WAY worse YPC average. And yet in 2008 we went 12-4, had a Bye, and we WON the Super Bowl. Last year..( With better rushing )..we went 9-7 and sat home watching the playoffs.

Get it now ? RUSHING the ball is secondary to success. PASSING the ball, and good defense is what WINS Super Bowls! " PERIOD, End " O " Story "!!

PhantomJB93
08-05-2010, 03:07 AM
^Yes, but we were also better passing the ball last year than in 08 as well...the real problem was the defense, which as we all know and has been said a million times fell apart without Polamalu, Aaron Smith, etc...give last year's team the 08 defense and we easily win the conference and get a bye.

However, I am in support of Arians' new "pass happy" offense, but he needs to make smarter situational play calls (like NOT trying to throw a 30 yard pass on 3rd and 1) and run the ball a tiny bit more. I believe we need to find a niche somewhere in between the 2009 offense and the previous "smashmouth run it all the time" offense everyone wants to return to...before recent times I remember always getting mad at how little we passed it, I screamed at my tv many a time when every set of downs we ran it twice and then tried to pass on 3rd and long...at the same time, the opposite happened last year when I'd be screaming to run it while Arians had Ben passing far too often. We just need to find a niche between the two offenses and be less...predictable, don't be afraid to run the ball but at the same time don't be afraid to let Ben air it out as well.

supa_fly_steeler
08-05-2010, 03:39 AM
Here is the BOTTOM LINE Uninformed ones. In 2008 we ran for LESS yardage than in 2009. We had a WAY worse YPC average. And yet in 2008 we went 12-4, had a Bye, and we WON the Super Bowl. Last year..( With better rushing )..we went 9-7 and sat home watching the playoffs.

Get it now ? RUSHING the ball is secondary to success. PASSING the ball, and good defense is what WINS Super Bowls! " PERIOD, End " O " Story "!!

your stupid, did u see the defensive stats we put up, 3.8 yards per play, that's why we went 12-4 idiot.

the cowboys game is a great example why........ but whatdouknow??????

theres no ****ing bottom line, your opinion or shitty useless made up theories, which people don't really care about are fubar.

vasteeler
08-05-2010, 09:26 AM
your stupid, did u see the defensive stats we put up, 3.8 yards per play, that's why we went 12-4 idiot.

the cowboys game is a great example why........ but whatdouknow??????

theres no ****ing bottom line, your opinion or shitty useless made up theories, which people don't really care about are fubar.

how have you not been banned?

kirklandrules
08-05-2010, 09:27 AM

In my line of work we have a saying "correlation does not prove causation". One thing did not cause the other just because you see them together. As other posts have pointed out, our 2008 defense ranked #1 in almost every major category and was being hailed as possibly one of the most dominant of all time ... that could be viewed as the major contributor to that year's SB victory ... not the lack of a strong running game.

You seemed to miss the point of my original post. Arians also seems to miss this point. It's not that Mendy didn't stack up some good yards. It's that on short yardage, goalline and end of game close-out, we can't run the ball. Well holy sh!t, my friend, aren't those scenarios what football is really all about? If football is all about the Mannings throwing the football around, just take the pads off and eliminate the linemen and let them play the paddy cake touch football these sissies dream about. There's still a good number of Steelers fans that want to see their team line up and punch the other guys in the face when they need to do that (in cases such as short yardage, goalline and end of game close out).

My other point is that Arians again refuses to get the pieces that are necessary to run the ball in the gritty situations. Not having a true FB who can lay a crushing block is basically creating failure in the process ... but he doesn't understand that as evidenced in his statement "my offense doesn't need a FB on the roster" and the lack of a true FB since he's shown up.

Don't get me wrong ... I love what he's done with the passing game and he seems to be a great guy. I just believe a running game that can produce in those key scenarios will only make the offense better ... gosh, not sure why people seem to think this won't help. :noidea:

Steelerfreak58
08-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Its as simple as Tomlin has said the last couple of interviews about the Steeler running game. They simply did not get things done when running the ball was required on short yardage situations. We are far to used to expecting a 3rd and 1 to just be a given with the history of the organization.

If it does not get fixed and we do not end up in the playoffs I really believe Arians is gone. Rooney made it clear he wants to see a dominant running game when it is necessary. If the line that looks to be the starters and their size cannot move the chains on short yardage situations I will be shocked. That is a hell of a lot of weight of the projected starting front 5.

steeltheone
08-05-2010, 11:16 AM
I agree!

kirklandrules
08-05-2010, 12:33 PM
But those massive o-linemen are only so effective against the run-blitz we saw many times last year. It's hard for a 350 lbs lineman to cut off a blitzing 235 lbs linebacker. That is where a FB comes in. So if you think we can just line up in a one back set (or with a FB who is really a TE or RB) on 3-1 and just get a push up front and get the yardage, you're sorely mistaken. If you want to get that short yardage, you'll need the tools and commitment to do it! The Cleveland game last year tells the story oh so well of how the lack of a power run game can screw your season ... but I guess only a few of us have learned from it. :tap:

BlockMonsta
08-05-2010, 05:19 PM
No he didn't get us to the superbowl, Dick Lebeau and the defense did, how dare you mutter that sentence when he's about to go into the hall of fame.

And he had 1 decent playcall during the super bowl, the bootleg that was it.

And it was Santonio and Ben who won us the super bowl with the o-line.

yeah a 100 yard back is real good, chris johnson had 2000.... that's 1900 more.

Quite obvious it was a typo..he was a 1,000 yard back. How dare I mutter the sentence? What about the other 16 regular season games, it wasnt only defense. Also, the stats I was talking about are from last year, not our superbowl run.

On another note, stop trying to act like your some tough guy. Your on the computer get over it.

kirklandrules
08-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Must be Bouchette is getting his material from this site. Remember, you heard it here first ...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10218/1078026-66.stm

DanRooney
08-06-2010, 08:33 PM

We passed more in 2009. Your theory is flawed. 2008 was due to our defense. Nothing else. The offense was pretty much irrelevant, but as our D gets older, we want to run the ball more to keep them fresh.

FourThreeMafia
08-07-2010, 01:15 PM
I dont like Arians...at all...but he wasnt wrong here.

Our main problem is on short yardage runs and in the red zone. Has been for 3 years. Dont get me wrong, there is room for improvement all over the place in the run game, but he wasnt out of line saying that.

That being said, he needs to learn when to run the ball. Against the Browns last year, he had Ben throw the ball like 35 times in 40 MPH winds and gave up on the running game after the first half and we end up losing.

cloppbeast
08-12-2010, 09:41 PM
I know this is slightly off topic, but I have something to get off my chest:

I'm really getting tired of the Arians bashing from Steelers fans. What does the guy have to do to get some love? He helped us win a Superbowl and we had the 7th ranked yardage offense in 2009.

I understand we're used to a decent running game here in Pittsburgh, but more importantly we're used to winning, and at least Arians has helped us with the latter. IMO, winning is more important than running effectively.

Despite what old schoolers like Mike Ditka contend, you don't necessarily have to run the ball effectively to win. We won the SB with the 23rd ranked rushing attack.

It's the 21st century, and the forward pass has taken over. Do you think the Saints or the Colts played in the SB last year because they had the best rushing attacks? No, it's because they could pass the ball. In fact, last year, 8 of the top 10 passing teams made the playoffs (the other 2 were 9-7), but only 5 of the top 10 did so.

Furthermore, our personnel is/was much better suited for the forward pass. Arians would have been stupid to ignore playmakers in the passing game just so we could fill some sort of rushing quota. We don't have Neil O'Donnell anymore, (who I also think got the shaft from Steeler fans. He was the perfect QB for our ground based O) we actually have a great QB for once, so why should we settle for running 30 times a game?

FourThreeMafia
08-12-2010, 10:59 PM
I know this is slightly off topic, but I have something to get off my chest:

I'm really getting tired of the Arians bashing from Steelers fans. What does the guy have to do to get some love? He helped us win a Superbowl and we had the 7th ranked yardage offense in 2009.

I understand we're used to a decent running game here in Pittsburgh, but more importantly we're used to winning, and at least Arians has helped us with the latter. IMO, winning is more important than running effectively.

Despite what old schoolers like Mike Ditka contend, you don't necessarily have to run the ball effectively to win. We won the SB with the 23rd ranked rushing attack.

It's the 21st century, and the forward pass has taken over. Do you think the Saints or the Colts played in the SB last year because they had the best rushing attacks? No, it's because they could pass the ball. In fact, last year, 8 of the top 10 passing teams made the playoffs (the other 2 were 9-7), but only 5 of the top 10 did so.

Furthermore, our personnel is/was much better suited for the forward pass. Arians would have been stupid to ignore playmakers in the passing game just so we could fill some sort of rushing quota. We don't have Neil O'Donnell anymore, (who I also think got the shaft from Steeler fans. He was the perfect QB for our ground based O) we actually have a great QB for once, so why should we settle for running 30 times a game?

Without an elite defense, the Steelers dont even reach 8-8 with Arians as OC. He has alot of offensive talent and doenst get the most out of them. Not always his fault, but in many cases, it is.

Arians biggest problems is his situational playcalling. He may be the worst situational game caller in the league. For example...last year, against the Browns, he had Ben throwing into 30 MPH winds all game and it wasnt like we were down by much. Thats just one of many examples.

Arians does take too much heat in some cases, but he is not a good OC. He isnt the worst OC in the league, but he is in the bottom half.

And while I agree we shouldnt revert back to being a running team, Arians gives up on the running game too easily and passes in situations when it is very opportune to run the ball.

rick723
08-12-2010, 11:02 PM
agreed. nothing will change this year if the team dosnt do something about it

That is as good as yogie
They give you cash, which is just as good as money

kirklandrules
08-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Arians biggest problems is his situational playcalling. He may be the worst situational game caller in the league. For example...last year, against the Browns, he had Ben throwing into 30 MPH winds all game and it wasnt like we were down by much. Thats just one of many examples.

Arians does take too much heat in some cases, but he is not a good OC. He isnt the worst OC in the league, but he is in the bottom half.

And while I agree we shouldnt revert back to being a running team, Arians gives up on the running game too easily and passes in situations when it is very opportune to run the ball.

Arians had Ben throwing into 30 MPH winds against the Browns because he knew this offense couldn't run the ball. He understands the limitations of his offense and plays to its strengths ... which is how you give your team the best possible chance at winning. I don't dislike the guy, but think he needs to get his head around the need for a running game. When he comes into the 'Burgh and announces that he doesn't believe in the need for a FB and the Steelers faithful has seen several games lost because we consistently could not gain 1 damned yard on the ground (or gave up trying to gain 1 yard on the because everyone and their mother knows we'd fail) ... I'd say he should change his thinking, reassess his philosophy and create the balance needed to become a dominate offense.

cloppbeast
08-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Without an elite defense, the Steelers dont even reach 8-8 with Arians as OC. He has alot of offensive talent and doenst get the most out of them. Not always his fault, but in many cases, it is.

Arians is not perfect, he certainly makes mistakes. I have been frustrated with his playcalling at times, mostly because he refuses to run quick patterns when the o-line continues to give up sacks - of course that could just be Ben holding onto the ball as well. I don't think he's the best OC in the NFL, but I disagree that he's in the bottom half. He's turned a midiocre offense into one of the best in the league.

At times, he may avoid pounding it in obvious running situations to the frustration of Steelers fans. But, with such a pedestrian the running game and a potent passing attackis with one of the best QBs in the league, obvious rushing situations aren't so obvious. Take 2008 for example. We couldn't run in crucial situations worth a damn, forcing Tomlin to kick a feild goal from the 1/2 yard line. Sometimes, in light of circumstances, an OC must make adjustments.

I do beleive, though, that Arians knows when to run. When an inexprienced Dennis Dixon played against the Ravens last year, Arians called 38 rushing plays to 26 passing plays. With that being said, I can certainly understand your frustration with passing 32 times in hurricane weather, but in Arians defense, the Browns were shutting down the run that game. The Steelers only averaged 3.4 YPC, and, believe it or not, when Ben wasn't getting sacked, he did ok passing, averaging 6.3 YPA. Against Cleveland, the biggest problem wasn't the weather, it was the sacks. Cleveland's front seven really showed up, stuffing the run and pounding Ben into the ground. Gotta give them their props.

I know I sound like a huge Arians apologist right now, but somebody's got to stand up for the guy. I admit though, that I have my issues with his coaching.

Playcalling isn't my biggest beef with Arians - I like the forward pass, it's his pregame preperation. I just read an article about how they had never simulated a 4-3 for the offense in practice, even when they were playing against a 4-3! That is absolutely crazy. CRAZY! I mean, we're talking about a professional football I don't if the blame lies with Tomlin or Arians - probably a little of both. But, on a positive note, it's better late than never, I guess. (there I go apologizing again)