PDA

View Full Version : Arians Says Dixon Could Be Used As Change Of Pace Quarterback

pete74
08-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Ken Laird, of ESPN Radio 1250, tweeted that Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians hinted in between practice sessions that quarterback Dennis Dixon might be used early on this year as a change of pace quarterback. This offers up a unique chance for the Steelers to really keep defenses honest as we all saw first hand what Dixon can do with his legs as was evident in his lone start versus Baltimore last year.

Dixon has had limited snaps thus far in training camp, but reportedly has been accurate with his passes. Throwing this type info out there is smart in the light of it surely will be picked up by the main stream media and make it's way to the opposing coaches ears. This is just one more thing defenses have to prepare for without Ben Roethlisberger under center for the first four games.

Arians has long been ridiculed for not putting in some sort of Wildcat type package that plays to the mobility of Dixon. He has said before that it would get Dixon hurt, but that way of thinking might have changed now as Arians said Tuesday, that if Dixon is your #2 QB, you may be able to take some risks you wouldn't take with him as your starter. Dixon admitted Tuesday that he thinks they are trying to move the pocket a little bit for him as he likes to throw on the run. He went on to say, "They're probably bringing in a couple wrinkles to see how it goes. It's not complex like the wildcat with misdirection."

Keep your eyes peeled in preseason for some designed bootlegs or running roll outs by Dixon as it could be a small glimpse of how Arians might use him if indeed Dixon is brought in as a change a pace. This could well be a smoke screen as well, much like Arians did with the Pony backfield talk after running back Rashard Mendenhall was drafted in 2008.

scsteeler
08-05-2010, 06:03 PM
I like the fact that Dixon will be used as a change up and truthfully until Ben comes back he may end up being the Starter. The playing experience will get him a chance to do what all young QB's do get a look at different defensive formations for real instead of a simulation.

Until the line gels together which will take some time a QB that moves the pocket, runs and finds receivers on the move will be a great asset. I am one more in favor of Dixon being out Starter while Ben is out.

Most People think good QB's only Sit in the pocket but the Good ones have always been able to move around buy that needed time when needed and accurately pass the ball. The accuracy is what Dixon has to show! Naysayer's are judging his performance and what this kid can bring to the table on 1 full game which is ridiculous .

I would at least like to see him in 3 or 4 games and determine if he does or does not have the Skills to be a Starter in the League.

The Lakelander
08-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Who among us wouldn't want to see Dixon on the football field situationally from time to time?

This is a kid with serious wheels and he's a two-way threat with the football in his hand under Center.

That said, I am totally supportive of Byron Leftwich and I believe in his ability to lead our offense to early season wins in Ben's absence.

It will be a great big dose of STFU to all Steelers fans who whine and cry about Bruce Arians lack of creative play calling on our team.

I'm one of the very few who support Bruce Arians and his offensive philosophy. However ... with Randle El and Dixon both on the field at the same time, the sky is the limit with regard to gadget plays .... let's see some redemption Bruce! Let's see some razzle dazzle that has our beloved Steelers fans jizzing in their drawers this season! :tt04:

steeltheone
08-05-2010, 07:47 PM
From watching the Eagles bring in Vick from time to time, I didn't care for it. Seemed to break the flow of the game.

Gadget plays are nice once in awhile, Once in a long while.

mikegrimey
08-05-2010, 09:12 PM
I don't think it'll ever happen when Ben's playing. Franchise QB's have a big ego to stroke and bringing another guy in under center wouldn't help.

MasterOfPuppets
08-06-2010, 01:54 AM
Who among us wouldn't want to see Dixon on the football field situationally from time to time?

This is a kid with serious wheels and he's a two-way threat with the football in his hand under Center.

That said, I am totally supportive of Byron Leftwich and I believe in his ability to lead our offense to early season wins in Ben's absence.

It will be a great big dose of STFU to all Steelers fans who whine and cry about Bruce Arians lack of creative play calling on our team.

I'm one of the very few who support Bruce Arians and his offensive philosophy. However ... with Randle El and Dixon both on the field at the same time, the sky is the limit with regard to gadget plays .... let's see some redemption Bruce! Let's see some razzle dazzle that has our beloved Steelers fans jizzing in their drawers this season! :tt04:

dixon has a ton of suddeness and glide , i think redzone redman will win the starting rb spot this year cause he has suddeness and glide too ...:thumbsup:

Griff
08-06-2010, 07:26 AM
I was hoping to see Dixon as the starter because I was kind of writing off the year, expecting Ben to be gone and looking at an aging team. If Troy can really come back for a full season and guys stay healthy, we have a shot at making a strong playoff run and that changes everything. If we are playing for this year, Leftwich under center probably makes more sense unless our o-line can't protect him. Still the energy Dixon brings to the field should not be minimized. He could develop as a team leader over 4-6 games putting some pressure on Ben that I think he needs to stay focused. Whatever happens we are looking at a crazy unpredictable season... we may even end up seeing more Batch than anyone is planning for.

Wallace108
08-06-2010, 11:47 AM
It wouldn't surprise me to see Dixon start. He's looking good.

rich4eagle
08-06-2010, 08:16 PM
I .like Dixon as the possibilites from change of pace............the being the guy till Ben is back

I also like Leftwich who got screwed a lot and never failed................this is interesting

California-Steel
08-07-2010, 05:21 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.