PDA

View Full Version : Ref Admits Mistakes in 2006 Super Bowl

bobby jr
08-06-2010, 10:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5444048

NFL ref admits mistakes in Super Bowl

Associated Press
RENTON, Wash. -- NFL referee Bill Leavy acknowleded he made mistakes in the Seattle Seahawks' 2006 Super Bowl loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers...Leavy says he "kicked two calls in the fourth quarter" and "impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that."......

"I'll go to my grave wishing that I'd been better.".

steelerchad
08-06-2010, 10:55 PM
It always makes me laugh when I read this crap. That game, wasn't even a game. The Steelers didn't even play a great game and it was pretty one sided. That game ended with the Steelers up 2 scores and kneeling out the clock inside the Seahawks 20 yard line. The Seahawks couldn't produce much offense the whole game. Hell, give them 2 more TD's and we still score on that last drive and win anyway.

We were clearly the better team that year and deserved to win the SB.

Just like we were the far better team in 08, when we beat the Rats 3 times, stepping on their heads on the way to another Super Bowl. That AFCC game was the greatest game I've ever been to. We dominated them physically, they hung around and thought they had hope. Then Troy smashed their hearts with that sweet pick 6. Place went nuts, game over. Season over for the rat turds, and on to another ring.

Seattle On Your Mother
08-07-2010, 12:12 AM
It's settled. Wake up Pittsburgh. The referee himself said he impacted the game. Everyone outside of our two cities says that the blown calls handed your town the trophy. Man up like Leavy and own it.

steelerschik
08-07-2010, 12:37 AM
It's settled. Wake up Pittsburgh. The referee himself said he impacted the game. Everyone outside of our two cities says that the blown calls handed your town the trophy. Man up like Leavy and own it.

Ohhhhh pleeeezzzzzz. Conveniently he states this while in Seattle. Bet your life he would say something different if he were here. Your team didn't belong in the SB to begin with. Yeah, the refs let Willie run 78 yards for a TD and they also allowed Randel-El to throw a TD pass to Ward. Even with Ben sucking, the Steelers still beat the Seawhiners pathetic butts. Wait, I'm going to go back and find the blown calls against the Steelers in that game as well. Keep living on excuses or whatever makes you feel better. The Steelers have the trophy, earned the trophy, deserved the trophy...get over it.

Edman
08-07-2010, 01:08 AM

We'll own it alright, the trophy that is.

XL was sloppily played by the Steelers, we aren't afraid to admit that. But tell me, what did Seattle do to win that game? If you dare tell me that they played well and deserved it, you're pretty much wasting our time.

mikegrimey
08-07-2010, 02:08 AM
How many of you can even debate for shit?
I'm depressed looking in here.

The topic at hand is the referee's preformance in superbowl XL, not whether or not you think the Seahawks played a good game or let WP run for a TD or if the Steelers played like shit.

For the topic at hand:

I see he says he blew 2 calls in the fourth quarter. Does he elaborate on what those calls were?
If I were to hazard a guess I'd think he means the bogus holding call that brought the Seahawks from a first and Goal inside the 5 to a 3rd and somethinghellalong. The play after Ike Taylor caught an errant hasselback pass where I presume the second blown call he is talking about a bogus "tripping" penalty on Hasselbeck was called.

If those aren't the calls he means I'd like to know what. Either way, most reasonable people not blinded by fandom or suffering from homerism can admit those two calls were pretty piss poor and had an effect on the game in our favor.

Now as for the debate as to whether or not the correct calls would have changed the outcome of the game, who's to say? It's just like people who claim the Bengals would have steam rolled us with Palmer healthy in the 06 Wildcard game, they're just trying to project "what if" history, which we know is never certain in football, given the volatile nature of the game.

Back to SB 40, it was one of the worst played and officiated SB's I've ever seen. As a Steelers fan I can earnestly say we sucked on offense. Ben was a nightmare. Our three scores were all huge lottery-type plays, it was amazing that we got 3 of them in one game (that Ben hoist to Hines was a miracle, our running game was weak other than WP's huge run, and the Randle-El TD pass is something you only see in a big game once in a blue moon). Not to even mention when we had a chance to wax them away for good but Ben threw a pathetic goal-line INT (Any of us would have been content with a fieldgoal at that point, going up 17-3 with Cowher at the helm).

Our defense lost its balls as well and was content to sit back and let the so-so Hasselbeck/Branch lead duo of the Seahwks take up a lot of yardage. As I recall we got to the SB by blitzing the shit out of Indy and Denver---to back off your bread and butter in the big game shows a lot of cahones on our coaching staff.

Fortunately for us the Seahawks were only less slightly inept, and our 3 big plays were enough to carry the day. Seattle's offense played better than ours, but wasn't finishing drives. There wasn't a lot of ballsy play calling on their part either. They seemed content to take what was given to them all day, which doesn't always work when playing a close game. Their defense took advantage of a razzled QB and put us to shame, and really, overall that unit played a better game than the scoreboard reads---they just got burnt on a few big plays.

The officiating was atroscious, from beginning to end. There was a patheticly plussy-assed offensive pass interference call that took back a Seattle touchdown. There was one instance where Jeremy Stevens clearly caught a pass, took 2 steps, fumbled it, that the referees incorrectly called an incomplete pass. Needless to mention the bungled 4th quarter calls already in question.

In short, only a fool would deny the officials made mistakes, but people who swear there was a deliberate plot to stop the seahawks from winning are suffering from the same brand of dementia.

Tone's Toes
08-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Probably the worst played football game I've ever seen. Not sure either team really deserved to win, but one of them had to and the Steelers made the big plays, Seattle didn't. To me that's the difference.

Anyway, when you're Seattle and you can't get off the field on 3rd & 28, You allow the longest TD run in SB history, You let a WR throw a TD against you, You miss 2 easy indoor field goals, you're QB throws the ball straight to Ike Taylor twice, picked once, You can't simply put that game on officiating and say the refs handed the Steelers the game. The refs could be better in almost every game, but so can the players. The players ultimately made the bigger mistakes by allowing the huge plays and that's mostly why they lost.

supa_fly_steeler
08-07-2010, 09:12 AM
the captain of the titanic called in and said he regretted the blown call on the titanic.

joeyssteelcurtain
08-07-2010, 09:35 AM

In every game in the NFL the referee's impacted the games. Do you know how many times the steelers got a letter from the league saying they made the wrong calls.

bobby jr
08-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Let's face it when the ref says he impacted the game it is clear what he meant.

He meant the results may have been different, the winning team may have been Seattle had he got those calls right. I don't recall the details of the calls now but I remember at the time it seemed every close important call was going the Steelers way and on replay some of the calls were incorrect.

It works both ways the Steelers were eliminated a few years ago when an overweight Jacksonville QB Gerard, ran up the middle for 30 yards on 4th and two. The Jaguars were out of FG range and had they been stopped the Steelers would have advanced.
The replays seemed to show there may have been a holding call on that play which allowed Gerard to break free for the game winning run.

bobby jr
08-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Seahawks fans are all over this one. Many responses on the thread

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16111

KyKobra
08-07-2010, 12:41 PM
It always makes me laugh when I read this crap. That game, wasn't even a game. The Steelers didn't even play a great game and it was pretty one sided. That game ended with the Steelers up 2 scores and kneeling out the clock inside the Seahawks 20 yard line. The Seahawks couldn't produce much offense the whole game. Hell, give them 2 more TD's and we still score on that last drive and win anyway.

We were clearly the better team that year and deserved to win the SB.

Just like we were the far better team in 08, when we beat the Rats 3 times, stepping on their heads on the way to another Super Bowl. That AFCC game was the greatest game I've ever been to. We dominated them physically, they hung around and thought they had hope. Then Troy smashed their hearts with that sweet pick 6. Place went nuts, game over. Season over for the rat turds, and on to another ring.

I hate Steelers fans like you
I want to talk to a Steelers fan who will not insult everything not Yellow or Black.
On to the post,this was a sloppy game all around just a pain to watch with the TERRIBLE refs. Superbowl 45 was a pleasure to watch and an amazing ending though.

steelerchad
08-07-2010, 02:05 PM
[/B]
I want to talk to a Steelers fan who will not insult everything not Yellow or Black.
On to the post,this was a sloppy game all around just a pain to watch with the TERRIBLE refs. Superbowl 45 was a pleasure to watch and an amazing ending though.

Could care less what you think. The original poster was a Ravens fan looking for a reaction and he got it. He posted here to try and stir up trouble and the last part of my post was for his benefit. Can't really argue with that last paragraph though. It was exactly what happened in that AFCC game. I even had a heart, and didn't mention right after Troy's pick 6 that Mcgahee had his head taken off by Clark for good measure.

SteelCityMom
08-07-2010, 02:06 PM
I see he says he blew 2 calls in the fourth quarter. Does he elaborate on what those calls were?
If I were to hazard a guess I'd think he means the bogus holding call that brought the Seahawks from a first and Goal inside the 5 to a 3rd and somethinghellalong. The play after Ike Taylor caught an errant hasselback pass where I presume the second blown call he is talking about a bogus "tripping" penalty on Hasselbeck was called.

There were only 2 calls in the 4th quarter against the Hawks. One was the call on Hasselbeck after the threw the INT (bad call...but Steelers already had the ball, it wasn't and end all to be all penalty). The other was the hold on Haggans...which I think was a good call. Maybe some refs let that slide...but if he had been getting away with it for a while and a ref decided to drop the flag on him, I can understand that. It looks like a hold to me. Besides...the holding call didn't make Hasselbeck throw an INT.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lcTm9PPdT3I&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lcTm9PPdT3I&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And yes, smack talk aside, I agree with many that it was a poor game performance wise for both sides. The Steelers just made less mistakes than the Hawks did. Seattle had tons of opportunities to make game winning plays and didn't. Simple as that. A good team should be able to overcome a couple bad calls.

Also, every time I hear people whine about the SB, I'm reminded of the Chargers/Steelers game in '08 where the penalty disparity was 15 for the Steelers and 2 for the Chargers (totaling a whooping 5 yds), and the Steelers still managed to win the game. It is still to date the most horribly officiated game I have ever seen in my life...but the Steelers didn't let it get in their way. I just don't like excuses...especially almost 5 years after the fact.

FourThreeMafia
08-07-2010, 02:08 PM
[/B]

What do you expect?

I could go to a Ravens board and find just as many Ravens fans bashing the Steelers.

Ravens fans hate the Steelers, and the feeling is mutual.

if you are that sensitive, you probably shouldnt stay here.

supa_fly_steeler
08-07-2010, 02:25 PM
[/B]

shut up you fag, he can say ratbird if he wants to.

i hate fans like you.

StainlessStill
08-07-2010, 06:27 PM

Wake up Seattle. You still suck and your city is a bunch of sour puss's. Learn clock management and then we'll talk.

If this is the case, I want every single blown call that went against Pittsburgh back. If that were the case, the Steelers could of went on for their 10th Lombardi by now. Suck it up, it was 5 years ago and noone is changing the history books. Seattle got their rematch, got shut out and STILL lost XL. Good luck becoming relevant for the next 15 years.

StainlessStill
08-07-2010, 06:31 PM
For all you Seattle pussies who think we owe you something.

You'll never take it away from us.

http://www.sportspool.com/football/super_bowl/Superbowl_XL_ring.jpg

You lost because you suck, period.:tt04::tt04::tt04:

6>0.

pancake
08-07-2010, 07:05 PM
I can't believe this is still an issue... :toofunny:

bobby jr
08-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Could care less what you think. The original poster was a Ravens fan looking for a reaction and he got it. He posted here to try and stir up trouble and the last part of my post was for his benefit. Can't really argue with that last paragraph though. It was exactly what happened in that AFCC game. I even had a heart, and didn't mention right after Troy's pick 6 that Mcgahee had his head taken off by Clark for good measure.

You're right I am a Ravens fan, but that's nothing to be ashamed of. By the way Baltimore has quite a few championships too, with the Ravens and the Colts, and before the Super Bowl (those NFL championships count just as much).

Look guys nobody is saying the Steelers should give their 2006 rings back but when the ref says he blew the calls in the Super Bowl and that affected the outcome, that is big news in the sports world . It would have been better if he hadn't waited 3 1/2 years to talk but maybe his conscience has been bothering him.

One of the calls he was presumably talking about was a phantom holding call when Seattle would've gotten the ball first and goal at the one yard line, trailing 14-10.
This led to Hasselbeck being intercepted by Ike Taylor and when Hasselbeck tackled him after the pick their was a ridiculous "blocking below the waist" penalty. This set up Pittsburgh for the winning score.

We are talking about a 14 point swing here in the 4th quarter, if the bad holding call had not been made, the other events would not have followed. The end result of the game very well could have been totally different.

The Seahawks would have had a 3 point lead if they could have scored from first and goal. Would they have won? Who knows. But now that the ref has admitted the calls were bad ones, it can no longer be assumed that the Steelers would have won.

This is now kind of like the World Series that KC won over St. Louis based on a bad call at first base that the umpire owned up to. KC still has that championship, but but it will always have the shadow of the blown call hanging over the trophy.

bobby jr
08-07-2010, 07:30 PM
A couple of today's responses from the Seattle thread:
http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16111&start=80

"if the game was called correctly (or at least didn't include the four big jobber calls)
the seahawks would have won 24 - 3.
i did the calculations."

"For those who say we still would have lost.At least we would have had a chance to compete.I waited my entire life for the Hawks to go to the Bowl and they got treated like crap.I would rather lose by 50 in a fairly played game then the way we lost in super bowl 40.I will NEVER know if we would have won.Glad Leavy admittted it but still will never forgive him."

steelerschik
08-07-2010, 08:01 PM
A couple of today's responses from the Seattle thread:
http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16111&start=80

"if the game was called correctly (or at least didn't include the four big jobber calls)
the seahawks would have won 24 - 3.
i did the calculations."

"For those who say we still would have lost.At least we would have had a chance to compete.I waited my entire life for the Hawks to go to the Bowl and they got treated like crap.I would rather lose by 50 in a fairly played game then the way we lost in super bowl 40.I will NEVER know if we would have won.Glad Leavy admittted it but still will never forgive him."

Truly dude, do you think we even care what those fans have to say? I'm still wondering why you would think we care what you or any other opposing team fan has to say? Seriously. I've watched the Steelers WIN 6 SBs, all 6 and all 6 were deservingly won. I've seen some of the most HORRENDOUS calls against the Steelers in my lifetime. The difference is this is a championship team with a championship mentality created by the best owners/organization in professional football and know how the NFL works and we don't whine about this garbage. The Troy call, the David Gerrard noncall. You want me to go back to the 70s? Come on...this crap happens. The Steelers did enough to win the game, the hawks did not, no matter how you SPIN IT, no matter what you want to believe, they did not make the plays to win that game. People like you just want to diminish what the Steelers have accomplished for whatever reason, jealousy comes to mind first. Try as you might, it won't work. This guy says something vague in front of a Seattle press and it's supposed to be meaningful? LOL, it's laughable. The Steelers are winners, people hate winners, it comes with the territory, we're used to it, I know and understand Baltimore is not. Just another day dude.

jjpro11
08-07-2010, 08:37 PM
the haters will always hate.. just ignore it. we nearly didn't even make it to the Super Bowl thanks to one of the worst calls of all-time.

bobby jr
08-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Well what the ref said was not "vague". He is owning up to blown calls in the Super Bowl, and the only controversial calls were ones that went the Steelers way. He also said that the calls impacted the game. And this isn't just some Seattle story. I read it on ESPN, it's hit the national sports news.

I will admit I'm not a Steeler fan I live near Baltimore and I am a Ravens fan. but the calls in that Super Bowl were just horrendous, and it is shameful that the NFL tried to sweep this matter under the rug by saying the game was well called. Everyone knows that it was not. As I said the Steelers may still have won but if the game had been played without the calls, Seattle would have had at least a 3 point lead in the fourth quarter, and probably more.

This is not analogous to the non-holding call when Garrard ran up the middle for 30 yards because that was just one play, in the Super Bowl there were several bad calls that went the Steelers way.

As for Baltimore VS Pittsburgh I don't see much difference. Both have NFL teams which are usually very good. Very close in NFL championships I think Pittsburgh may be one up. Both our baseball teams are horrible but that is largly due to the flawed and corrupt system in MLB which favors big market teams and especially the Yankees and Red Sox in the AL East. There should be a salary cap and then maybe the Orioles could get revenge on the Pirates for those two seventh game World series losses in the 1970's. The Orioles had superior teams to the Pirates in both 1971 and 1979. I'd like to see the Orioles beat the Pirates in the World Series to help erase the memories of losing two series we should have won.

supa_fly_steeler
08-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Well what the ref said was not "vague". He is owning up to blown calls in the Super Bowl, and the only controversial calls were ones that went the Steelers way. He also said that the calls impacted the game. And this isn't just some Seattle story. I read it on ESPN, it's hit the national sports news.

I will admit I'm not a Steeler fan I live near Baltimore and I am a Ravens fan. but the calls in that Super Bowl were just horrendous, and it is shameful that the NFL tried to sweep this matter under the rug by saying the game was well called. Everyone knows that it was not. As I said the Steelers may still have won but if the game had been played without the calls, Seattle would have had at least a 3 point lead in the fourth quarter, and probably more.

This is not analogous to the non-holding call when Garrard ran up the middle for 30 yards because that was just one play, in the Super Bowl there were several bad calls that went the Steelers way.

As for Baltimore VS Pittsburgh I don't see much difference. Both have NFL teams which are usually very good. Very close in NFL championships I think Pittsburgh may be one up. Both our baseball teams are horrible but that is largly due to the flawed and corrupt system in MLB which favors big market teams and especially the Yankees and Red Sox in the AL East. There should be a salary cap and then maybe the Orioles could get revenge on the Pirates for those two seventh game World series losses in the 1970's. The Orioles had superior teams to the Pirates in both 1971 and 1979. I'd like to see the Orioles beat the Pirates in the World Series to help erase the memories of losing two series we should have won.

you only have 1 super bowl you idiot, when that scumbag who ran away from cleveland, decided not to take the franchise with him, those records stay with the browns.

you do however have more murderers on your team.

steelerschik
08-07-2010, 09:32 PM

I will repeat myself....I have seen some of the WORST CALLS EVER against the Steelers in my 35+ years of watching them. Yes, game changing calls. This is not the only team it has happened to...it's not the first time and won't be the last, but seeing as how it has to do with the Steelers, oh it's SO tragic for the Whinehawk fans. What a bunch of BS if there ever was any. The David Gerrard noncall was a game changing penalty...the Steelers could have very well been in the POs and to "sweep that under the rug" is just plain ignorance, which by the way is exactly what happened. Did it make the "news", did the ref own up to his "mistake"? Good Lord cry me a freakin river. The truth is the Steelers weren't good enough that day to win regardless of the calls. The refs tried everything in their power to hand the Colts a win in 2006, but it didn't happen...wanna guess why?: The Steelers were the better team that day and didn't let bad calls keep them from winning. I believe it was Chuck Noll who said if you have to depend on the refs to determine the outcome of a game, you weren't good enough to win it in the first place. Something along those lines and there are no truer words spoken. The Steelers legacy is one of pride and accomplishment and it's a legacy that has been well deserved. Hate it all you want, it is what it is and they are 6-time SB champs who earned every title they have. It sucks for those who will never experience it and I'm sorry you probably never will, but I can sleep at night and feel good everyday knowing the Steelers worked hard and earned all the rings and trophies they have.

bobby jr
08-07-2010, 09:38 PM
you only have 1 super bowl you idiot, when that scumbag who ran away from cleveland, decided not to take the franchise with him, those records stay with the browns.

you do however have more murderers on your team.

One Super Bowl? Before calling someone an idiot perhaps you should learn to count a little better. Baltimore Colts won the NFL Championship in 1958 and 1959, Super Bowl in 1971 Baltimore Ravens in 2001. That's two Super Bowls not one.

Baltimore tried to get a NFL team the right way, only when we were wrongly rejected for expansion teams in favor of inferior sites like Jacksonville did we do what had to be done. Baltimore had to teach the NFL and Tagliabue a lesson after the way we were wrongly treated.

Murderers on team? I hope you are not picked for jury duty if you think there was enough evidence to show that Ray Lewis was guilty of murder. In fact the evidence pointed the other way.

Anyway we're getting off topic here. If the Ravens had won a Super Bowl and the ref later said he blew important calls that could have changed the result I would not like it but I would own up to the fact that the game could have gone the other way.

FourThreeMafia
08-07-2010, 09:47 PM

Please list those several bad calls.

Here are the ones I hear people bellyaching over the most...

1. Offensive PI on Seattle in the 2nd Quarter ( I think) - Kind of a tacky call that couldve went either way, but a bad call? Ive seen it called for less. Not saying it was a great call, but its not like that has never been called before.

2. Ben's TD dive - Again, couldve went either way, but it was third down. We had one more down and Cowher stated he wouldve went for it. Not saying we wouldve got in, but fact is it wasnt like we missed on 4th down.

3. Holding on Sean Locklear - Anyone who says that wasnt a hold is delusional or a hater. There is clear video evidence showing it did happen. In fact, Locklear got away with holding most of the game. It was about time it got called.

4. Cut block on INT return - Okay, that was a bad call, but who forced Hassellbeck to make a crappy throw right to Ike Taylor? The refs? Get a life.

I guess the refs are also responsible for letting Willie Parker run 75 yards, letting ARE hookup with Ward downfield, making the Seahawks miss FG after FG, and for Holmgrens horrible clock management, huh?

steelerschik
08-07-2010, 09:49 PM
One Super Bowl? Before calling someone an idiot perhaps you should learn to count a little better. Baltimore Colts won the NFL Championship in 1958 and 1959, Super Bowl in 1971 Baltimore Ravens in 2001. That's two Super Bowls not one.

Baltimore tried to get a NFL team the right way, only when we were wrongly rejected for expansion teams in favor of inferior sites like Jacksonville did we do what had to be done. Baltimore had to teach the NFL and Tagliabue a lesson after the way we were wrongly treated.

Murderers on team? I hope you are not picked for jury duty if you think there was enough evidence to show that Ray Lewis was guilty of murder. In fact the evidence pointed the other way.

Anyway we're getting off topic here. If the Ravens had won a Super Bowl and the ref later said he blew important calls that could have changed the result I would not like it but I would own up to the fact that the game could have gone the other way.

Uh-huh, sure. Whatever. There is absolutely no proof to believe the outcome of this game would have been different. The hawks were doing virtually nothing out there. Their dumbass coach didn't know the meaning of simple clock management, Hampton was held all day long without 1 single call, no call on Haggans. Oh there was some block on Heath Miller that wasn't penalized. I'm gonna go back and get all the noncalls/blown calls against the Steelers during that game. It works both ways here. Guess what, the outcome of any game could have gone the other way, that can be said for 32 teams any day of the year and any SB as well. This guy waits 5 years and suddenly "oh I screwed up" when right after the SB, Mike Pierera went over every call and explained each and every one of them. He was in Seattle, that's all I need to know. I care less what he said, it holds absolutely no water. His 5 year memory lapse speaks for itself.

bobby jr
08-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Uh-huh, sure. Whatever. There is absolutely no proof to believe the outcome of this game would have been different. The hawks were doing virtually nothing out there. Their dumbass coach didn't know the meaning of simple clock management, Hampton was held all day long without 1 single call, no call on Haggans. Oh there was some block on Heath Miller that wasn't penalized. I'm gonna go back and get all the noncalls/blown calls against the Steelers during that game. It works both ways here. Guess what, the outcome of any game could have gone the other way, that can be said for 32 teams any day of the year and any SB as well. This guy waits 5 years and suddenly "oh I screwed up" when right after the SB, Mike Pierera went over every call and explained each and every one of them. He was in Seattle, that's all I need to know. I care less what he said, it holds absolutely no water. His 5 year memory lapse speaks for itself.

I remember it differently. As I saw it the Seahawks outplayed the Steelers and would have won a close game, if not for the blown calls. Based upon the refs statements last week it seems he believes the same thing as I do.

Now sure the Steelers beat the Ravens 3 times and went to the Super Bowl 2 years ago. But all 3 of those games were close and and could have gone either way. Besides the Ravens got revenge last year, and we won a playoff game while the Steelers didn't even make the playoffs.

I could be wrong but I think the Steelers may need a new coach if they want to again seriously compete for the Super Bowl.

steelerchad
08-08-2010, 03:11 PM
I remember it differently. As I saw it the Seahawks outplayed the Steelers and would have won a close game, if not for the blown calls. Based upon the refs statements last week it seems he believes the same thing as I do.

Now sure the Steelers beat the Ravens 3 times and went to the Super Bowl 2 years ago. But all 3 of those games were close and and could have gone either way. Besides the Ravens got revenge last year, and we won a playoff game while the Steelers didn't even make the playoffs.

I could be wrong but I think the Steelers may need a new coach if they want to again seriously compete for the Super Bowl.

I'll give you the first 2 games were very close and could have gone either way. That playoff game different story though. Steelers totally outplayed and physically beat down the Ravens. Ravens were lucky for the score to be as close as it was. FWP and Sweed both dropped TD passes in that game as well and then we blew at least 3 points right before half when we didn't manage the clock well.

steelerschik
08-08-2010, 04:32 PM

I know I'm seriously wasting my time on you because this last sentence just shows how truly delusional and out of touch with reality you are. Not only are you wrong, but this is nothing more than your wish, hope and dream, but hey, whatever makes you sleep at night. If you think Harbaugh is gonna make the Ravens world beaters, you seriously need counseling. But here we go anyway...

SB 40...some important numbers

Total 3rd down conversions: SH: 5/17 Pitt: 8/15

Completed passes: SH: 26/49 Pitt: 10/22

Yards passing: SH: 5.0 Pitt: 6.9

Rushing yards: SH: 137 Pitt: 181

Other numbers are pretty neck and neck.

Perhaps if Hasselbeck actually threw to someone who could catch the ball (cough cough Jeremey Stevens), maybe they wouldn't have missed 23 passes and maybe scored. Not to mention they had 396 total yards with 33:02 TOP vs the Steelers 339 total yards and 26:58 TOP. They had more time to convert plays and 57 more yards than the Steelers and still managed to NOT WIN THE GAME. All this PLUS 2 interceptions from Ben and still COULD NOT WIN THE GAME. Interceptions = gift wrapped points. THEY.... MADE.... NO.... PLAYS. Is this hard for you to understand? Where exactly did they outplay the Steelers???...please, do tell. The calls made no difference at all. They were not playing great ball. Their defense SUCKED. Holmgren SUCKED. You refuse to acknowledge the consistent holds on Hampton all game long and the other noncalls on the Steelers, conveniently of course. You SELECTIVELY REMEMBER what you want to be true. Again, this POS ref comes out 4/5 years out of the blue in front of press IN FREAKIN SEATTLE and this is supposed to be relevant? Continue to live in your fantasy world, it seems to be working for you.

bobby jr
08-08-2010, 05:58 PM
I'll give you the first 2 games were very close and could have gone either way. That playoff game different story though. Steelers totally outplayed and physically beat down the Ravens. Ravens were lucky for the score to be as close as it was. FWP and Sweed both dropped TD passes in that game as well and then we blew at least 3 points right before half when we didn't manage the clock well.

That AFC championship game was a brutal game on a cold night. Although the Ravens were outplayed they were still within a TD in the end and would have had the ball near midfield after a punt, but a foolish penalty pushed the team back and then Flacco threw an interception and it was over. After the game was pretty much decided Willis McGahee took a vicious hit on an over the middle pass, one in which it appeared the defender was trying to hurt him rather than break up the play. Willis had to be carted off the field. I remember that as an ugly game.

jjpro11
08-08-2010, 07:45 PM
That AFC championship game was a brutal game on a cold night. Although the Ravens were outplayed they were still within a TD in the end and would have had the ball near midfield after a punt, but a foolish penalty pushed the team back and then Flacco threw an interception and it was over. After the game was pretty much decided Willis McGahee took a vicious hit on an over the middle pass, one in which it appeared the defender was trying to hurt him rather than break up the play. Willis had to be carted off the field. I remember that as an ugly game.

Yeah, Ryan Clark should have given McGahee enough time to catch the ball, turn around, and try to bulldoze over Clark with the ball in hand... at the end of a close game... in the AFCCG... give me a ****ing break.

FourThreeMafia
08-08-2010, 07:54 PM

The Steelers missed the playoffs because they were missing 2 of their 3 best defensive players on the team and because they hit a skid last year.

What revenge did the Ravens get? They split games with us, were barely able to beat us when we were missing Ben, Troy and Aarron, lucked their way into the playoffs, and then got ousted. Yay...the Ravens made the playoffs....now only if they could do something worth remembering.

Tomlin is in his 4th year as HC....he has averaged 10 wins per season, won a SB, and missed the playoffs once. Our 7 losses in 2009 were by a combine 28 points....5 of those 7 were by 3 points.

Tomlin is far from perfect, but he was far from the sole reason we had our skid.

Tomlin>>>>Harabaugh. Let me know when Jim Harabagh does something worth mentioning.

bobby jr
08-08-2010, 08:52 PM
The Steelers missed the playoffs because they were missing 2 of their 3 best defensive players on the team and because they hit a skid last year.

What revenge did the Ravens get? They split games with us, were barely able to beat us when we were missing Ben, Troy and Aarron, lucked their way into the playoffs, and then got ousted. Yay...the Ravens made the playoffs....now only if they could do something worth remembering.

Tomlin is in his 4th year as HC....he has averaged 10 wins per season, won a SB, and missed the playoffs once. Our 7 losses in 2009 were by a combine 28 points....5 of those 7 were by 3 points.

Tomlin is far from perfect, but he was far from the sole reason we had our skid.

Tomlin>>>>Harabaugh. Let me know when Jim Harabagh does something worth mentioning.

When Harbaugh does something worth mentioning? You've got to be kidding me.
He took over a 5-11 team and took them to an 11-5 record and the AFC Championship game his rookie season as coach.

And last year the team again made the playoffs and beat the heavily favored New England patriots on the road, blew them out, in the first round of the playoffs.

Harbaugh has had two of the most remarkable years in NFL history for a rookie NFL coach. Considering how far up he has brought the team in two years.

Tomlin took over a team that Cowher helped build. While the Steelers were only .500 in Cowher's last year that was just an off year considering the team had gone 11-5 and 15-1 the two prior years. It was a powerhouse team that Tomlin took over and last year his coaching weaknesses started to show up.
The Steelers missed the playoffs and mostly because they lost to bad teams.
Losing to Kansas City and Oakland, give me a break. Poor preparation and poor coaching, and teh coach must also take some responsibility for the on the field choking which occurred in those two losses, Letting Oakland march down the field for that winning TD at the end of the game I couldn't believe that was the Steelers I was watching.

steelerschik
08-08-2010, 09:59 PM
He took over a 5-11 team and took them to an 11-5 record and the AFC Championship game his rookie season as coach.

And last year the team again made the playoffs and beat the heavily favored New England patriots on the road, blew them out, in the first round of the playoffs.

Harbaugh has had two of the most remarkable years in NFL history for a rookie NFL coach. Considering how far up he has brought the team in two years.

Tomlin took over a team that Cowher helped build. While the Steelers were only .500 in Cowher's last year that was just an off year considering the team had gone 11-5 and 15-1 the two prior years. It was a powerhouse team that Tomlin took over and last year his coaching weaknesses started to show up.
Losing to Kansas City and Oakland, give me a break. Poor preparation and poor coaching, and teh coach must also take some responsibility for the on the field choking which occurred in those two losses, Letting Oakland march down the field for that winning TD at the end of the game I couldn't believe that was the Steelers I was watching.

Sweetheart, the Ravens have won nothing. They won a PO game. Woo. But of course in your world Harbaugh>Tomlin, logical people know otherwise. The off year we had with Cowher is no different than the off year we had with Tomlin. Key injuries had to do with the losses, dear. All the games lost this past season were 4th quarter meltdowns by the defense, there were no blowouts. These were all games that should have and could have been won by the Steelers if not for defensive letdowns. It happens. Hell, the Steelers nearly beat the Ravens with little Dennis Dixon in OT, LOL. It's the exception darling, not the norm. The truth is the Ravens have done nothing more than make the POs to get owned by the Steelers and get owned...as usual...by the Colts who the Ravens will never beat. The Ravens record was IDENTICAL to the Steelers last season which I believe was uh 9-7 going down from 11-5 in 2008 (while the Steelers were 12-4). We were both swept by the division darling Bengals. Harbaugh is nothing special honey.

Ravens may have beat some of the piss-poor teams the Steelers didn't, they also lost to the better teams the Steelers beat, those being Green Bay and Minny. The Ravens total for their 7 losses equal 39 points...the Steelers total for their 7 losses was 28. Wow, my bad...clearly the Ravens are "all that and then some", LOL!

scsteeler
08-08-2010, 11:31 PM

So does this mean the Seattle would have won the game? Please get it over this if I could go back and change all the bad calls the Steelers have had we may have 1 or 2 more SB. Please let this rest it will only keep you looking backwards and not forward into the future. You can't change the past but you can look to a better future.

Tell me what bad call allowed Willie Parker that 75 yard run?

stb_steeler
08-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Man are they still complaining and whining about that game.....:blah: :blah: :blah:

MaidenIndiana
08-09-2010, 03:16 AM

After reading this I now know why Cheetahs eat their ****ing young

StainlessStill
08-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Letting Oakland march down the field for that winning TD at the end of the game I couldn't believe that was the Steelers I was watching.

You mean the SAME Steelers that took a 3rd string QB and kicked your ass's with? The same Steelers team that beat your ass late in the season? The same Steelers team that beat Denver, Minnesota, San Diego, Green Bay and Miami?

Look, we had a bad year last year, mainly due to the fact that we couldn't run the ball in key situations nor in any situation. Any Steelers fan will be the first to tell you we had a bad year to Pittsburgh's standards. We are entitled to have a down year or two but I promise you this: It's only temporary. Hell, we almost made the 6th seed last season.. crazy by how bad we played during that 5 game stretch. We were one game away from being the team noone wanted to face in the post-season.

Our red zone offense was pathetic as it came, and our defense blew every lead that was givin to them late in the 4th quarter. We lost 2 all pros on the defensive side of the ball. We had problems at the running back position early in the season. In every game that we've lost last season, was the result of losing by 7 points or less.

The Steelers may surprise this year and be the football team we were in 2008, esp on defense and an offense that can rip through you.

I know, you don't want to hear it, but it's true. Don't underestimate us.. ever.

kirklandrules
08-09-2010, 11:14 AM

I normally don't go this direction and usually have some rivalry respect for the team that can be a thorn in our side when it comes to heated competition ... but:

We got SIX and you're lucky to have ONE (Ravens had arguably the worst offense to win a SB) ... come back when you actually have something other than excuses and hypotheticals to show how good that franchise really is. "Poor preparation and poor coaching"? That's why our D-Coordinator is one of the most respected in the game? We lost those games because of lack of depth and shotty special teams. Say what you want my purple friend, but the Steelers won their last title because they pounded your team into the cold gridiron to get to the big dance and had the most memorable game in SB history. In the end, last year is history and your team fits into the same category as our team ... did not win SB. Nothing else matters.

scsteeler
08-09-2010, 12:20 PM
I normally don't go this direction and usually have some rivalry respect for the team that can be a thorn in our side when it comes to heated competition ... but:

We got SIX and you're lucky to have ONE (Ravens had arguably the worst offense to win a SB) ... come back when you actually have something other than excuses and hypotheticals to show how good that franchise really is. "Poor preparation and poor coaching"? That's why our D-Coordinator is one of the most respected in the game? We lost those games because of lack of depth and shotty special teams. Say what you want my purple friend, but the Steelers won their last title because they pounded your team into the cold gridiron to get to the big dance and had the most memorable game in SB history. In the end, last year is history and your team fits into the same category as our team ... did not win SB. Nothing else matters.

:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

So True I don't know where he gets off saying how great Harbaugh is and that Tomlin's weakness as a coach is showing. Nothing but Hate!

When Harbaugh win's a SB you might be able to brag a little but his record in 2 years is less impressive than Tomlin's.

SteelCityMom
08-09-2010, 12:58 PM
What's funny is Ravens fans somehow think that a 9-7 year is a remarkable year. Steelers fans consider that a down year. When you squeak into the playoffs at 9-7, it's not remarkable...it's just lucky that enough other teams played so poorly.

bobby jr
08-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Well I don't think winning a Super Bowl is the only measure of success. If you go by that standard then Harbaugh. may as well have had a winless season the last two years instead of consecutive playoff appearances, trouncing the Pats last year in the playoffs, and going to the AFC championship game two years ago. It would have been great to win the Super Bowl sure ,but to say that Harbaugh has not been a successful NFL coach the last two years, that is absurd.

Also, Harbaugh coached teams don't lose to bad teams like the Steelers lost to Oakland and Kansas City. Losing to teams like that, I think the head coach must bear some responsibility. wwww

As for titles I believe the Colts won the NFL Championship in '57 and '58, the Super Bowl in '71. and the Ravens won in 2001. That makes four titles for Baltimore. The NFL didn't start with the Super Bowl, and I believe the Steelers were not very good for many years before the Super Bowl started.
That doesn't mean we should just start counting with the Super Bowl years and ignore everything prior to that.

The Packers have won 12 Championships. That record will be hard for the Steelers to ever catch.

Both Ravens games with the Steelers last year were close 23-20 and 20-17. It's not like the Steelers blew the Ravens out in the game when they had big Ben, that didn't happen. Just like the prior year, the Ravens lost to the Steelers 3 times but all the games were close. The Ravens don't match up well with the Colts but they do with the Steelers and I don't think the Steelers will ever dominate the Ravens on the field and blow them out of a game, as the teams are presently constituted.

SteelCityMom
08-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Well I don't think winning a Super Bowl is the only measure of success. If you go by that standard then Harbaugh. may as well have had a winless season the last two years instead of consecutive playoff appearances, trouncing the Pats last year in the playoffs, and going to the AFC championship game two years ago. It would have been great to win the Super Bowl sure ,but to say that Harbaugh has not been a successful NFL coach the last two years, that is absurd.

Also, Harbaugh coached teams don't lose to bad teams like the Steelers lost to Oakland and Kansas City. Losing to teams like that, I think the head coach must bear some responsibility. wwww

As for titles I believe the Colts won the NFL Championship in '57 and '58, the Super Bowl in '71. and the Ravens won in 2001. That makes four titles for Baltimore. The NFL didn't start with the Super Bowl, and I believe the Steelers were not very good for many years before the Super Bowl started.
That doesn't mean we should just start counting with the Super Bowl years and ignore everything prior to that.

The Packers have won 12 Championships. That record will be hard for the Steelers to ever catch.

Both Ravens games with the Steelers last year were close 23-20 and 20-17. It's not like the Steelers blew the Ravens out in the game when they had big Ben, that didn't happen. Just like the prior year, the Ravens lost to the Steelers 3 times but all the games were close. The Ravens don't match up well with the Colts but they do with the Steelers and I don't think the Steelers will ever dominate the Ravens on the field and blow them out of a game, as the teams are presently constituted.

Ok...so If a coach bears responsibility in bad seasons (which I agree, they do), then the must deserve credit in good seasons. That means you have to stop using the excuse that Tomlin only succeeded (more than Harbaugh) his first two years as coach because Cowher did a good job with the team as well in previous years. Tomlin led the Steelers to the playoffs his first year and to a SB title his second.

What happens if the Ravens fall flat on their faces this year and don't make the playoffs? Is Harbaugh suddenly a has been coach because of one year? By your logic, you would have to admit that he is.

SteelCityKing
08-09-2010, 01:41 PM
why do people always have to bring up old sh*t!? just let sleeping dogs lie and move on. period.

supa_fly_steeler
08-09-2010, 01:43 PM
What's funny is Ravens fans somehow think that a 9-7 year is a remarkable year. Steelers fans consider that a down year. When you squeak into the playoffs at 9-7, it's not remarkable...it's just lucky that enough other teams played so poorly.

lol one of those wins almost was a loss with a 3rd string quarterback lol.

scsteeler
08-09-2010, 09:44 PM

Yes you are so right!
Good comes into play when you make it to the SB or AFC Championship at 9-7. LOL Remarkable is WHEN YOU WIN IT ALL AT 9-7.

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-09-2010, 10:08 PM

So...let me get this straight. Mike Tomlin is a bad coach, after having taken his team to the playoffs 2 of 3 years, including one Superbowl win.

Harbaugh takes you guys to the playoffs last year, and then you guys do as bad as us last year (you finished with the same record, 9-7, and the only reason you moved on to the postseason was based on obscure and convoluted tie breaker scenarios), and he is frigging coach of the year?

For some reason, the word "hypocrisy" comes to mind....

Also, Harbaugh coached teams don't lose to bad teams like the Steelers lost to Oakland and Kansas City.

That is a wash at best. The Steelers and Mike Tomlin also beat some elite teams that your guys got thumped by (The Broncos, Vikings)....

Losing to teams like that, I think the head coach must bear some responsibility. wwww

Agreed, but to say he is a bad coach is lunacy....

As for titles I believe the Colts won the NFL Championship in '57 and '58, the Super Bowl in '71. and the Ravens won in 2001. That makes four titles for Baltimore.

Nope, that makes 1 title for Baltimore (your guys are NOT the Baltimore Colts-- they are the Cleveland Browns), and 3 titles for the Colts.

The NFL didn't start with the Super Bowl, and I believe the Steelers were not very good for many years before the Super Bowl started.

Based on how much the sport has changed, that would not be unfair. None of those leather-hat championship teams played the same sport that is being played today.

Most of those championships were from the days when football players still wore leather hats and a 10 of 17 for 150 yards was a great day for a QB.

Both Ravens games with the Steelers last year were close 23-20 and 20-17.

Except that afterwards, that left the Ravens at 0-2 against us. I guess that means then that Harbaugh is "close" to be as good a head coach as Mike Tomlin, huh?

It's not like the Steelers blew the Ravens out in the game when they had big Ben, that didn't happen.

It's not like the Ravens blew us out with a 3rd string newbie QB at our helm.

Just like the prior year, the Ravens lost to the Steelers 3 times but all the games were close.

Point being? A loss is a loss. You don't get brownie points or more draft picks the next year for only losing 3 times to your hated rival by less than 5 points....

The Ravens don't match up well with the Colts but they do with the Steelers

How do you figure? Your record the last three seasons against us is 5-2. And one of those wins came in week 17 of 2007, when we rested our starters....

Been slugging that purple kool-aid, huh?

and I don't think the Steelers will ever dominate the Ravens on the field and blow them out of a game, as the teams are presently constituted.

We don't much care over here, as long the Steelers win. You can have your moral victory of not getting blown out, I'll take the tick in the W column.

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-09-2010, 10:12 PM
And to answer the flawed premise of the OP....

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT BILL LEVY SAYS.

The NFL Officiating Committee already weighed in on the matter back in 2006, and verified all the calls in that game as valid and fair.

"The game was properly officiated, including, as in most NFL games, some tight plays that produced disagreement about the calls made by the officials," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in a statement.

Case closed, like a crypt door....

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-09-2010, 10:21 PM
The article detailing Bill Levy's quotes should have included a disclaimer at the bottom saying:

"The views and opinions expressed in this article are not in any way indicative of any official ruliing or stance on the matter."

Bill Levy can say whatever he likes while standing around the Gatorade cooler at Seahawks training camp-- the official ruling was already passed down. The Steelers won SB XL-- end of story.

Had the NFL Officiating Commitee found any discrepancies with the officiating in SB XL-- they would have redacted them and issued an official apology and statement explaining their rationale (like they always do):

* Like they did when the officials improperly overturned Troy Polamalu's interception against the Colts in the divisional round of the playoffs that year.
* Like they did when Ed Hoculi whislted the play dead too soon in the SD verses Denver game in 2008.
* Like they did when the officials failed to flag Jags Olinemen for tackling Steelers defenders, leading to David Gerrard's game-winning bootleg in the 2007 playoffs.

The video replays tell all, and the fact that Seahawks fans and other assorted Steeler haters cannot deal with the fact the NFL Officiating Committee's analysis of the video differs from their own homeristic analyses, is no concern of mine.

The Steelers won SB XL-- THAT IS A FACT that you will have to learn to deal with. The calls in that game were all verified as valid by the NFL in an official capacity (and not Levy's watercooler gossip that is being interpretted as an official statement by folks who are desperate for any table scrap to try and rip the Steelers down).

rick723
08-10-2010, 09:03 AM
What do you expect?

I could go to a Ravens board and find just as many Ravens fans bashing the Steelers.

Ravens fans hate the Steelers, and the feeling is mutual.

if you are that sensitive, you probably shouldnt stay here.

Rat's fans do NOT have freedom of speach. I post there and the post never shows up. Yes I am logged in when I post there. Here you other team fans are delt with too nice.

bobby jr
08-10-2010, 09:46 AM
The article detailing Bill Levy's quotes should have included a disclaimer at the bottom saying:

"The views and opinions expressed in this article are not in any way indicative of any official ruliing or stance on the matter."

Bill Levy can say whatever he likes while standing around the Gatorade cooler at Seahawks training camp-- the official ruling was already passed down. The Steelers won SB XL-- end of story.

Had the NFL Officiating Commitee found any discrepancies with the officiating in SB XL-- they would have redacted them and issued an official apology and statement explaining their rationale (like they always do):

* Like they did when the officials improperly overturned Troy Polamalu's interception against the Colts in the divisional round of the playoffs that year.
* Like they did when Ed Hoculi whislted the play dead too soon in the SD verses Denver game in 2008.
* Like they did when the officials failed to flag Jags Olinemen for tackling Steelers defenders, leading to David Gerrard's game-winning bootleg in the 2007 playoffs.

The video replays tell all, and the fact that Seahawks fans and other assorted Steeler haters cannot deal with the fact the NFL Officiating Committee's analysis of the video differs from their own homeristic analyses, is no concern of mine.

The Steelers won SB XL-- THAT IS A FACT that you will have to learn to deal with. The calls in that game were all verified as valid by the NFL in an official capacity (and not Levy's watercooler gossip that is being interpretted as an official statement by folks who are desperate for any table scrap to try and rip the Steelers down).

That is pretty weak considering the official who made the calls against the Seahawks now admits they were bad calls which impacted the outcome.

As I said before the Steelers may still have won the game, but to pretend that this officials statements about the 2006 Super Bowl are meaningless is not make the issue go away.

The Seattle newpapers have run several stories about this in the last few days. The Seahawk players say that they are glad the official has come out and told the truth, and they are ready to move on.

But it's safe to assume the reason they are glad is because there is no longer any doubt that bad calls were made in that game which went against the Seahawks.

FourThreeMafia
08-10-2010, 12:02 PM
That is pretty weak considering the official who made the calls against the Seahawks now admits they were bad calls which impacted the outcome.

As I said before the Steelers may still have won the game, but to pretend that this officials statements about the 2006 Super Bowl are meaningless is not make the issue go away.

The Seattle newpapers have run several stories about this in the last few days. The Seahawk players say that they are glad the official has come out and told the truth, and they are ready to move on.

But it's safe to assume the reason they are glad is because there is no longer any doubt that bad calls were made in that game which went against the Seahawks.

There is no longer any doubt of what? The fact that they had numerous chances to make plays and they didnt? Or is it because it took nearly 5 years for the ref to "admit" he made mistakes, and that he did it in Seattle? Thats not a coincidence at all.

Anyway...think whatever you want. Only people that cant get over this are jealous Ratturd fans like you, and Shehawk fans, who cant seem to stop whining.

bobby jr
08-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Rat's fans do NOT have freedom of speach. I post there and the post never shows up. Yes I am logged in when I post there. Here you other team fans are delt with too nice.

Well I think it's kind of fun when an opposing teams fan posts in a forum, as long as he avoids name calling and personal attacks, that kind of thing.

Anyway one fact I'd like to leave before I move on, for Steelers fans to think about.
The Ravens outscored the opposition by 130 points last year. The Steelers outscored the opposition by 44 points. This means that the Ravens had bad luck in losing a lot of close games and there is a good chance this will be reversed this year and they will finish with a better record than last years 9-7.. Also the way the Ravens completely dominated the Pats in the playoffs showed what the team is capable of doing.

I believe the Ravens can beat any team in the NFL this year, with the possible exception of the Colts. We don't match up well against that team, but if we get them in cold Baltimore for a playoff game, we can beat the Colts too. Manning has a history of playing poorly in cold weather playoff games, can't pass very well.

Bottom line, the Steelers may have to think about a wild card, as this is probably a Ravens year in the AFC North.

FourThreeMafia
08-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Anyway one fact I'd like to leave before I move on, for Steelers fans to think about.
The Ravens outscored the opposition by 130 points last year. The Steelers outscored the opposition by 44 points.

Im not sure what this has to do with whats going to happen this year.

Wins and losses are wins and losses, regardless of how many points you win or lose by.

The Steelers went 9-7. lost those 7 by a combined 28 points, and 5 of them were by 3 points and couldve easily went the other way as well. With Troy and Aaron Smith back, that will only help. The only question is how will the team fare while Ben is out.

This means that the Ravens had bad luck in losing a lot of close games and there is a good chance this will be reversed this year and they will finish with a better record than last years 9-7.. Also the way the Ravens completely dominated the Pats in the playoffs showed what the team is capable of doing.

Oh, its bad luck when the Ravens lose, but when the Steelers lose, its just because they arent that good right? Keep making excsuses.

Youre team finished 9-7 anyway you cut it, and while the Ravens are the favorites to win the division in 2010, they arent as unstoppable as homer Ravens fans make them out to be.

Yay...you dominated the Pats...a team that is merely a shell of their former selves. What happened the next week? When the Ravens do something worth remembering in the playoffs, let us know. Beating the Pats isnt really impressive.

I believe the Ravens can beat any team in the NFL this year, with the possible exception of the Colts. We don't match up well against that team, but if we get them in cold Baltimore for a playoff game, we can beat the Colts too. Manning has a history of playing poorly in cold weather playoff games, can't pass very well.

CAN the Ravens beat any team? Sure...but that doesnt mean they will.

Bottom line, the Steelers may have to think about a wild card, as this is probably a Ravens year in the AFC North.

Ravens fans said the same thing last year....and before the 2007 season, and several other seasons for that matter.

Yes, they could win the division, and they are actually my pick to win it, but Ravens fans continue to pimp them like they already won the division without playing a game.

Good thing games arent played on paper.

StainlessStill
08-10-2010, 02:47 PM

Probably, probably, probably. Probably doesn't mean a damn thing.

Every damn year the critics pick the Ravens to dominate the league. Outside of the Patriots and Colts, they are supposed to of been the biggest nobodies to make it to the Super Bowl every year. They are the Dallas Cowboys of the AFC, always looking like a powerhouse on paper because of their defense and offense that's ready to break out but ultimately do nothing in the end.

They were the chosen one to represent a Wild Card team in a weak AFC North last year. Without the uncharacteristic 5 game losing streak from us, it was Balty who benefited from a mediocre team.

Hell, teams like Miami, Houston, and Tennessee were still in the running late only because the Steelers imploded. If things go according to plan, and if we have our whole team intact, the Steelers veteran leadership will shine through and take care of the North this season. There ARE a lot of question marks, but my prediction is that if Ben can translate his legs to NFL ready when he comes back, towards the middle of the season, we will be playing outstanding football and make a push to win the division.

The Ravens look great on paper, but so does every other NFL team thus far, which amounts to nothing. Bring it come game day and we'll take about the "probably's."

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-10-2010, 03:56 PM

Bill Levy can cast doubt over his decisions in that game until he and the whole Seattle fanbase is blue in the face. The OFFICIAL RULING was made, and they ruled that all the calls in the game were valid.

First off, there is no "issue". The game was reviewed, the rulings upheld, and an official statement was released validating the game. END OF STORY. You have NO LEG left to stand on.

We still don't care what the Seattle newspapers said, we only care what the NFL Officiating Committee says. The Seattle newspaper article, like Bill Levy's offhand remarks, are not relevant at all, except for desperate whiners searching for any thread to hang from to re-open an already settled controversy.

No, there is NO DOUBT that ALL THE CALLS WERE VALID. The NFL Officiating Committee has already reviewed the matter and ruled. You lost, so did the Seahawks.

You can drop this already. You HAVE NO LEG TO STAND ON.

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-10-2010, 04:02 PM
The Ravens outscored the opposition by 130 points last year. The Steelers outscored the opposition by 44 points.

It has already been established that the Steeler offense had red zone problems last year.

This means that the Ravens had bad luck in losing a lot of close games

Or, it just means you buried a few really bad teams last year (my opinion), whereas the Steelers failed to beat all the teams that they should have.

and there is a good chance this will be reversed this year and they will finish with a better record than last years 9-7..

Based on what?

Also the way the Ravens completely dominated the Pats in the playoffs showed what the team is capable of doing.

The Patriots are barely a shell of the team they once were.

I believe the Ravens can beat any team in the NFL this year,

Of course you do....

with the possible exception of the Colts. We don't match up well against that team, but if we get them in cold Baltimore for a playoff game, we can beat the Colts too. Manning has a history of playing poorly in cold weather playoff games, can't pass very well.

And the Ravens have a bad history against the Steelers....5-2 in the last three years, with one win being a gift-wrapped present with no starters on the field.

Bottom line, the Steelers may have to think about a wild card, as this is probably a Ravens year in the AFC North.[/QUOTE]

stb_steeler
08-10-2010, 08:32 PM

Yeah he said impacted the game....meaning not the outcome!. get over it man, what do you expect to gain from your whining?...Its 5 years in the making. :coffee:

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Well, well, well. Just like I said, the NFL made its official ruling and is sticking by it.

Exactly like my analyses on the matter, the only call Seattle has any business complaining about at all, is the Matt Hasselbeck tripping penalty.

Mike Piera has weighed in on what the NFL's official stance is on Bill Leavy's offhand comments about the officiating in SB XL:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ref-taking-super-mistakes-too-hard

IOW, to all Shehawks fans still complaining about this-- STFU!!!!! You lost, deal with it.

rick723
08-11-2010, 11:41 PM
[/B]

Mind telling me who wins SB 45?? I want to bet it in February

rick723
08-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Super Bowl XL
Feb. 5, 2006
Ford Field
Detroit, Michigan

MVP: Hines Ward, WR, Pittsburgh
Seattle Seahawks 10
Pittsburgh Steelers 21

Edman
08-12-2010, 12:33 AM
How many times have we been over this, Baltimore? Baltimore, next to San Diego, are always two of the most overhyped teams in the AFC. Baltimore, with their supposed great defense led by Ray, are always the sexy pick to ragestomp the AFC North and run through the playoffs, and yet they continue to do next to nothing memorable.