PDA

View Full Version : Ron Dayne?

drizze99
02-14-2006, 10:27 PM
In a quest to replace the Bus (I know tough shoes to fill), what about Ron Dayne? He is a UFA and that Denver backfield is awefully crowded. I would also venture to say that we should be able to get him pretty cheap. I think the move to Denver really helped him out. He did show flashes of brilliance this past season when he had a chance to play. He has his confidence back now and he is a lot slimmer than his old NYG days.

discuss...

BB2W
02-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Len Pasquarelli reported that the Falcons would be trying to trade T.J. Duckett which interests me alot more than Dayne. Maybe they can make it happen... I remember many year ago the Steelers made a draft day trade for a big/power back that was a castaway from the Rams.

link: http://kffl.com/player/100/nfl

drizze99
02-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Dayne is free though and only costs a contract. I wonder what Atlanta wants for him?

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-14-2006, 11:35 PM
Are you all forgetting DUCE, I don't think we are hurting all that much in the backfield.

OX1947
02-14-2006, 11:45 PM
Duckett is a great goaline runner. I think if we do not keep Duce, definatly. Trade our extra 3rd and 4th picks for Ducket..

clevestinks
02-15-2006, 04:28 AM
at least not untill the china doll is back in his sweats by the 3rd or fourth game.....then what? bail clairett outta jail...lol
Exactly! He was seen more in his gray sweat suits, than in uniform!

NJarhead
02-15-2006, 07:55 AM
In a quest to replace the Bus (I know tough shoes to fill), what about Ron Dayne? He is a UFA and that Denver backfield is awefully crowded. I would also venture to say that we should be able to get him pretty cheap. I think the move to Denver really helped him out. He did show flashes of brilliance this past season when he had a chance to play. He has his confidence back now and he is a lot slimmer than his old NYG days.

discuss...

NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!!!!!!

Believe me. We do NOT want Lame Ron Dayne on our FB Team. He couldn't find the hole if we paved the way w/ yellow bricks. He's been in the league since 1999 or 2000 and has done Noth-ing. I'd rather bring Fu back. Hmmm.

Bust
02-15-2006, 07:57 AM
Two words:

Lee Suggs.

Suitanim
02-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Lee Suggs at 206 is even smaller than Willie Parker, and Suggs is <<< Willie Parker.

But I thought Reuben Droughns only signed a one year deal in Cleveland...although he's not a big back, he does run for power...

tony hipchest
02-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Lee Suggs at 206 is even smaller than Willie Parker, and Suggs is <<< Willie Parker.

But I thought Reuben Droughns only signed a one year deal in Cleveland...although he's not a big back, he does run for power...
i like that idea. here recently running backs usually have a down weak after they play the steelers from being so beat up. droughns and samkon gado each had BIG weeks after they played the steelers. i think both these guys are strong, tough runners. samkons a little small too i think but he definitely impressed me this season.

maybe we can get william green so porter can punch him before every game to get fired up without worrying about getting ejected. now theres an idea!

NJarhead
02-15-2006, 09:26 AM
...[/QUOTE]But I thought Reuben Droughns only signed a one year deal in Cleveland...although he's not a big back, he does run for power

Did not know about the 1 yr. deal. He'd be a great fit.

4xSBChamps
02-15-2006, 09:54 AM
..... I have no-specific running-back in-mind, but I've always liked the biggest, most reliable, surest-handed back possible:
even in this day of 'pass-and-tab' football, sooner-or-later, you STILL need to move the chains on 3rd & 1, 3rd and 2, and when the opponent puts 8-9 men in the box.....
SIZE-MATTERS!!!!!

With many teams going to the 'West-Coast offense', with running-backs used primarily as pass-catchers, having a 'thundering-elephant' in the backfield would make Pittsburgh's offense 'counter-culture' to a majority of the League, and even-MORE difficult to prepare for by upcoming opponents.

Having a big-back, who repeatedly delivers the 'hits' to DBs, instead-of 'receiving' them, sends a message, and may break that team's 'will-to-win' late in the game.
:wink:

NJarhead
02-15-2006, 10:05 AM
..... I have no-specific running-back in-mind, but I've always liked the biggest, most reliable, surest-handed back possible:
even in this day of 'pass-and-tab' football, sooner-or-later, you STILL need to move the chains on 3rd & 1, 3rd and 2, and when the opponent puts 8-9 men in the box.....
SIZE-MATTERS!!!!!

With many teams going to the 'West-Coast offense', with running-backs used primarily as pass-catchers, having a 'thundering-elephant' in the backfield would make Pittsburgh's offense 'counter-culture' to a majority of the League, and even-MORE difficult to prepare for by upcoming opponents.

Having a big-back, who repeatedly delivers the 'hits' to DBs, instead-of 'receiving' them, sends a message, and may break that team's 'will-to-win' late in the game.
:wink:

how old is Chris Fu? Is he still in JAX/NFL?

drizze99
02-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Fu was cut by JAX. I don't believe he is on a team. Why would we want that China Doll back? I loved the guy, but damn, he was always hurt!

NJarhead
02-15-2006, 10:42 AM
Fu was cut by JAX. I don't believe he is on a team. Why would we want that China Doll back? I loved the guy, but damn, he was always hurt!

I know that was a stretch, but since I hadn't heard anything I figured I'd mention it. Still though, barring his injuries I think he could do the short yardage, goal line and clock killin' duties. I bet he'd love a 2nd chance and he'd be cheap to get.

clevestinks
02-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Lee Suggs??? He is another Duce, always injured, look at his carries in cleveland over the past few years. Plus he has some shotening of the spine problem, that could end his career abruptly. Lets get a back than can take a hit.

Suitanim
02-15-2006, 12:31 PM
In the last couple days, I've heard proposals that the Steelers pick up Jerry Rice, Kordell Stewart, Killah Ray, and Fu.

A) I'm SO glad fans don't work in the front office
B) We'd be the "All-Geritol" team
C) We'd set a record for quickest descent from first to worst.

Haiku_Dirtt
02-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Are you all forgetting DUCE, I don't think we are hurting all that much in the backfield.

To me Duce is DONE. I remember his performance against - I believe - Green Bay. He punched a hole and the hole punched back. It looked like he reinjured a hamstring as he semi-limped his way to the sideline. The coaching staff eventually pushed him back out and he had a few nice carries. But to me it tells me he is running scared.

I feel bad for him because I don't think he is inherently bad (I guess they're all at strip clubs at 4AM except for Polamalu). We chose door NO. 22 and I see a player who'll be spending more time off the field than on it.

NJarhead
02-15-2006, 02:23 PM
In the last couple days, I've heard proposals that the Steelers pick up Jerry Rice, Kordell Stewart, Killah Ray, and Fu.

A) I'm SO glad fans don't work in the front office
B) We'd be the "All-Geritol" team
C) We'd set a record for quickest decent from first to worst.

That's rough, but you do have a point. We're all just anxious about what our team is gonna look like in 2006.

TasmanianTroy271
02-15-2006, 02:43 PM
I think if the Steelers bring in any Vet halfback, it won't be a reckless decision. They'll pick someone good, whether it be Ron Dayne, T.J. Duckett, Jamal Lewis, or Ricky Williams.

MichiSteeler
02-15-2006, 06:16 PM
I like the Duckett idea! I think he'd be great! Sorry Willie, but the Steelers need a bruiser in the backfield:dang:

WisconsinSteelerMan
02-16-2006, 09:40 AM
Being a Wisconsin Resident, we saw nothing but Ron Dayne when he played college ball. He was a great player at that time, but I'll tell you what...

I have NEVER seen someone look so clueless and useless in the backfield in the pros as Ron Dayne... I don't know if the schemes were just that much more complicated or whether he just completely lost it, but he stinks!

Complete waste of time and money to bring him here...

Of course, that's just my opinion...

83-Steelers-43
02-16-2006, 09:57 AM

Can you blame us If we do forget about him? But I do remember that guy, he's the one that models our sideline gear for the majority of the season.

In all seriouness, the guy is good when he is healthy. Since joining this team that has not been very often and not nearly enough. If we have the money, I would like to see Duckett or Foster on this team next year. Both would compliment Willie very nicely in my opinion. In reality and in my opinion, I don't see the Steelers making any moves this offseason, money being the main reason.

drizze99
02-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Sorry, I have to disagree with bringing Foster here. He is as injury prone, if not worse than Duce Staley.

83-Steelers-43
02-16-2006, 10:59 AM
With the exception of Foster's 2004 season I didn't think he was that bad in the injury department. Guess I'm wrong?

syde18T
02-16-2006, 11:00 AM
Ron Dayne?! :dang:

Dayne's far from premier back material, and he only shined for a brief moment behind a very good Denver offensive line. This guy has yet to have a 1000+ yard season, granted that he didn't have much playing time with Denver, but he was a starter at New York at one point, but still didn't produce much. Horrible pick for a replacement for the Bus....

drizze99
02-16-2006, 12:22 PM
With the exception of Foster's 2004 season I didn't think he was that bad in the injury department. Guess I'm wrong?

He missed his entire rookie year (2002) with an injury. Missed most of 2004 (played in 4 games). Broke his ankle in this years post season.

4 seasons in the NFL (64 games) and he was available for 33 games.

emp
02-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Quincy Wilson. Runner who proved in college he was better than a few guys who are now starting in the NFL. (Willis McGahee and Kevin Jones) But wasn't hyped and hasn't really had the chance yet in the pros. Lots of people still remember him for pancaking Miami's defense in a college game a few years ago. He was on Cincy's practice squad last year. 4.5 speed, squats 600 pounds. Only 5'9" 225 though.

TexaSteeler
02-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Two things about running the ball:

1. It's more about the OL, than the RB (unless you are a Super Star).
2. The Running Back has to fit into the system.

Ron Dayne was a big back in two little-back systems, (NY and Denver). And if you don't get the carries, you won't get 1000 yards. Not to say he'll be successful here, but to say that his life in NY and Denver are no guarentee that he won't. And his fumble/carry ratio is less than the Bus's.

TexaSteeler
02-17-2006, 11:32 AM
And Quintin Griffin always intrigued me. Reminds me a little of Barry Sanders.

drizze99
02-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Two things about running the ball:

1. It's more about the OL, than the RB (unless you are a Super Star).
2. The Running Back has to fit into the system.

Ron Dayne was a big back in two little-back systems, (NY and Denver). And if you don't get the carries, you won't get 1000 yards. Not to say he'll be successful here, but to say that his life in NY and Denver are no guarentee that he won't. And his fumble/carry ratio is less than the Bus's.

Holy Sh*t.... someone that sees it the same way I do.

He signed for league vetern minimum last season! How cheap is that? It doesn't matter because word out of Denver is that he is ready to re-sign with them. I don't care what anyone says, Shanahan knows RB's.

Suitanim
02-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Big back in a little back system? I don't even know what that means.

Denver has a good run blocking OL, and yet the guy only scored one TD last year. If he signed for the league minimum, there's a reason for that.

I have no problem with the Steelers paying him vet minimum and bringing him in to take a look, but I wouldn't put too much stock in this guy panning out.

TexaSteeler
02-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Big back system = beefy line + beefy RB + everyone knows you're running + you run anyway (AFC North for the last 30 years)

Little back system = quicker OL + multipurpose RB + have a threatening passing game + defense has to defend both. (90's Cowboys, 90's Broncos, 00's Rams)

Denver has good run blocking because the D has to play the pass. Bigger backs can't explode into the secondary like quicker backs can. He didn't fit.

I guess the two real questions that have to be answered is:
1. Does he have good footwork?
2. Can he carry two or three defenders and gain yardage.

I don't know the answer to these.

By the way, that's my stance, bring him in and give him a try.

BB2W
02-17-2006, 02:53 PM
I don't know dude...

Mike Anderson is a "big back" that had success in Denver, and while Ruben Droughns isn't that big he runs like a power back and found success in Denver. I wouldn't say either of those guys "explode into the secondary", and they certainly aren't gonna outrun anyone.

drizze99
02-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Yes, but we are only trying to replace Bettis, not Willie. I think Droughns would make a great back in Pittsburgh but he is under contract.

If all the rumors out of Atlanta are true and they really have Duckett on the block, we should look into that as well.

TexaSteeler
02-17-2006, 03:16 PM
I don't know dude...

Mike Anderson is a "big back" that had success in Denver, and while Ruben Droughns isn't that big he runs like a power back and found success in Denver. I wouldn't say either of those guys "explode into the secondary", and they certainly aren't gonna outrun anyone.

Anderson is 2" taller and 15 lbs lighter
Doughns is 30lbs lighter.

In Steelers world, it's all about getting mass moving before it hits the hole. It's the difference between driving a Bus through a brick wall and driving a Lotus into a brick wall. The bus comes out the other side. Momentum = mass x velocity. When the differences in velocity aren't great enough to significantly affect momentum, you increase the mass. This breaks through arm tackles that stops smaller masses.

My only point is that he fits our mold better than Denver or NY's. No idea if he would be great. Although I believe that his mold would shine with our line, if he learned to read it correctly.

BB2W
02-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Anderson is 2" taller and 15 lbs lighter
Doughns is 30lbs lighter.

They are still power backs, and are not exploding into the secondary like you mentioned.

My point is If you have good vision and the ability to break tackles or make people miss... you can run the football for any team with a decent offensive line.

If what you are saying is true wouldn't you have figured Wille Parker would have struggled in our "big back system"?...

TexaSteeler
02-17-2006, 03:41 PM
If what you are saying is true wouldn't you have figured Wille Parker would have struggled in our "big back system"?...

He did, especially against the top AFC opponents (except game 1 Cincy).

BB2W
02-17-2006, 04:09 PM
He had 1,200 yards and averaged 4.7 yards a carry.

Suitanim
02-18-2006, 08:03 AM
The big back/small back thing is just off. I'll agree with just about everything else but that...Denver is a good run blocking team, and they had success with big backs and small backs both...it's more about good footwork and picking the right holes, waiting for holes to develop, etc, etc, and some backs have it and some backs don't. So far, it looks like Ron Dayne doesn't have it.

One other thing, rumor has it that Tatum Bell added about 20 lbs of muscle between the '04-'05 season (They still list him at his college weight of 212-213 though). If Denver is a "small back system", why would he do that?

clevestinks
02-18-2006, 08:05 AM
The big back/small back thing is just off. I'll agree with just about everything else but that...Denver is a good run blocking team, and they had success with big backs and small backs both...it's more about good footwork and picking the right holes, waiting for holes to develop, etc, etc, and some backs have it and some backs don't. So far, it looks like Ron Dayne doesn't have it.

One other thing, rumor has it that Tatum Bell added about 20 lbs of muscle between the '04-'05 season (They still list him at his college weight of 212-213 though). If Denver is a "small back system", why would he do that?
Our philosphy might be changing with the faster smaller Willie Parker, and a passing game

Suitanim
02-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Our philosphy might be changing with the faster smaller Willie Parker, and a passing game

By big back/small back I was referring to the argument that some teams have systems for one or the other, and not anything to do with the Steelers, although you could certainly be right...

clevestinks
02-18-2006, 11:39 AM
By big back/small back I was referring to the argument that some teams have systems for one or the other, and not anything to do with the Steelers, although you could certainly be right...
I agree witgh you Suit, I`m just wondering what Cowher and Wiz have in mind

Suitanim
02-18-2006, 05:17 PM
It would kick quite a bit of ass if the 2006 Steelers retooled as a passing team focused on Willie's blazing 4.3 speed...certainly would sneak up on a few people!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-18-2006, 06:03 PM

We are set for starting running backs next year.. Duce and Willie will start and we'll look to the draft and FA for depth and insurance.

Good post!

Need4spd
02-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Yeah, no thank you.

ajheu
02-20-2006, 08:38 PM
I think we need to ditch the duce and get someone a little more durable.(Jamal Lewis? maybee)

schoondog
02-20-2006, 11:18 PM
And Quintin Griffin always intrigued me. Reminds me a little of Barry Sanders.

PLEASE DON'T TELL ME YOU JUST SAID QUINTIN GRIFFIN REMINDS YOU OF BARRY SANDERS. THATS ALMOST AS BAD AS WHEN MADDUX CAME OUT OF COLLEGE AND SO CALLED EXPERTS SAID THAT HE HAD ALOT OF THE SAME QUALITY'S AS ELWAY.