PDA

View Full Version : We need a leader on defense

Goat27
08-07-2010, 04:15 AM
sure we have talent, both sides of the ball, but on defense we need a leader, similar to Greg Lloyd, when he was there, no way would we have lost 4th qtr leads, lose 5 in a row, to lesser teams especially at home; no one really is that type of guy on our defense and it showed big time last yr. some players even talked about it, last yr and we need that guy, whomever it is, to step up and take the responsibility and we will be fine.

whatdoiknow
08-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Two things: One, as great as Greg Lloyd was, he was not a team leader. He was vocal on the field, but not a leader. And the second is, we HAVE a leader...James Farrior is a GREAT Team leader on Defense. He's been our defensive Captain for 7 years! So your point is lost...at least to me it is.

KyKobra
08-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Two things: One, as great as Greg Lloyd was, he was not a team leader. He was vocal on the field, but not a leader. And the second is, we HAVE a leader...James Farrior is a GREAT Team leader on Defense. He's been our defensive Captain for 7 years! So your point is lost...at least to me it is.

I don't find the point to be lost. Sure he's a leader but for seven years? You gotta put in new captains or at least prepare for a new one.

whatdoiknow
08-07-2010, 12:01 PM
When you're on the field, you rely on what your DC tells you to do. When things are going bad on the field, you want a vocal leader yes, Farrior is one of them, but not the only one. Troy is normally a quiet, do it by his actions type of player. But Ryan Clark is a vocal leader. And I think Ziggy Hood has the High-excitability type of personality to pump-up his teammates. So we are more then covered.

steeltheone
08-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Its a good point. They need an infusion of young, bad ass, head hunting players.

steeltheone
08-07-2010, 02:51 PM
A team leader that should not be starting does not make matters any better.

FourThreeMafia
08-07-2010, 04:59 PM
A team leader that should not be starting does not make matters any better.

James Farrior has one down year and he suddenly shouldnt be starting?

Steeler fans turn on players so fast, its hilarious.

As far as young players and leaders....LaMarr Woodley has great leadership ability...as does Ziggy Hood according to his college coaches and teammates.

We definitely need some young players to step up on defense, but we are fine with leaders at this point.

pancake
08-07-2010, 06:07 PM

As far as young players and leaders....LaMarr Woodley has great leadership ability...as does Ziggy Hood according to his college coaches and teammates.

We definitely need some young players to step up on defense, but we are fine with leaders at this point.

I love James, but he just looked slow last year. I think he has just lost too much.

DanRooney
08-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Farrior is a coverage ILB that has lost way too much speed. He can't cover 4th string RBs in the flats anymore. He needs to ultimately switch positions with Timmons and be substituted out on 3rd downs. I'd move Harrison on the inside and let Worilds/Gibson play LOLB on 3rd and long. THAT would be a scary combination. Imagine a blitz, Woodley, Timmons, Harrison and Worilds/Gibson...anyones line wouldn't know who was coming and each of these guys are equally as dangerous.

steeltheone
08-07-2010, 08:26 PM

Its not turning on James, love the guy. You just dont get any better at 35. This love affair with keeping guys around to long will cost us in the end.

steeltheone
08-07-2010, 08:28 PM

Ziggy does not start, so that is out. Woodley will probably not be in the Burgh much longer because of the dollar!

FourThreeMafia
08-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Its not turning on James, love the guy. You just dont get any better at 35. This love affair with keeping guys around to long will cost us in the end.

Fair enough.

I know Farrior is slowing down, but I will wait another year before I say its time for him to hang em up. He had one of his best years in 2008 and while he is on the slope, I dont think he is as close to being done as he looked at times last year.

Goat27
08-08-2010, 03:05 AM
James Farrior is not the same type of leader, as Greg Lloyd was for the defense. Greg Lloyd was more than vocal, he led by his play and his attitude...Also I'm telling you this first hand, what i know because my cousin played on those steeler teams in the 90's and even scored a TD in SB XXX on Deion Sanders, this my friend is what he has told me about what our defense didn't have last season.

steeltheone
08-08-2010, 05:46 AM
Fair enough.

I know Farrior is slowing down, but I will wait another year before I say its time for him to hang em up. He had one of his best years in 2008 and while he is on the slope, I dont think he is as close to being done as he looked at times last year.

I really hope you are right on this one!

DoubleYoi
08-09-2010, 02:11 PM
James Farrior is not the same type of leader, as Greg Lloyd was for the defense. Greg Lloyd was more than vocal, he led by his play and his attitude...Also I'm telling you this first hand, what i know because my cousin played on those steeler teams in the 90's and even scored a TD in SB XXX on Deion Sanders, this my friend is what he has told me about what our defense didn't have last season.

Yancey?

DoubleYoi
08-09-2010, 02:14 PM

The Steelers know when to let somebody go more than any other team in the NFL.

SteelCityKing
08-09-2010, 04:22 PM
The Steelers know when to let somebody go more than any other team in the NFL.

yeah, but somehow they opted to bring some of those guys back this season. yet they let Deshea Townsend go. why not bring back Duce Staley!?

i like Farrior as out captain. but someone like Woodley could be his predecessor...if his contract ever gets hashed out. i hope Troy stays healthy enough to be resigned for a couple more years and mabe retire as a Steeler.

hopes and dreams.

Steelerfreak58
08-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Farrior is the Defense leader. The coaches would not let him start or play if they thought he was a weak link. Yes he is older but having Foote in there to take some snaps this year you will see the defense come out and stomp teams.

NO coach in the NFL is going to let a player start because of sentimental ties or reasoning in this day and age. If there were someone with more abilities then Farrior they would have the starting job.

Losing Smith and Troy last year cost us games. To even begin to think that it didn't is to not understand the impact that those to players have on the defense and how other teams try to prepare for the Steeler Defense. Troy coming back and being healthy will be a key factor on how the defense will respond this year.

SteelCityKing
08-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Farrior is the Defense leader. The coaches would not let him start or play if they thought he was a weak link. Yes he is older but having Foote in there to take some snaps this year you will see the defense come out and stomp teams.

NO coach in the NFL is going to let a player start because of sentimental ties or reasoning in this day and age. If there were someone with more abilities then Farrior they would have the starting job.

Losing Smith and Troy last year cost us games. To even begin to think that it didn't is to not understand the impact that those to players have on the defense and how other teams try to prepare for the Steeler Defense. Troy coming back and being healthy will be a key factor on how the defense will respond this year.

Troy is the missing link to that secondary. but the more i think about it, he's the missing link to our D line as well. he can blitz and rush the QB and step up in the open field as much as any of the LBs can. he's a specimen and like you said, now that he's healthy...our team got a lot deadlier.

as for the sentimental value comment, i agree. Randel El was great. he wanted out. Faneca is a future Hall of Famer, he wanted out. just because they work well with our team doesn't mean the team needs them as much as fans think we do. -- i know SO many people pissed we dumped Holmes. they don't realize, he did it to himself. good riddance.

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Farrior is the defensive leader, as far as on-the-field playcalls and being Lebeau's eyes and ears on the field. He is our defensive captain.

However, I think what the original post was getting at was that we were missing a serious lockerroom presence last year on defense. They lacked attitude....

And the guy that was missing from the puzzle, was LARRY FOOTE....and we have him back again.

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-09-2010, 05:01 PM

For sure....

If folks are not convinced as to the value of Polamalu and Aaron Smith, the proof is in 2007. We lost Smith and Troy that year too, and our defense suffered an almost identical catastrophic collapse at the end of the season.

Flashing back to 2007, with Troy and Ryan Clark out, we were left with Anthony Smith and some other scrubs in the secondary, and Tom Brady ripped our defense a new one, then the Jags layed the finishing move when FT and Mojo ripped off 250 yards on the ground against us.

This last season, with the same two guys out, our defense obviously couldn't even stop Bruce Gradkowski (who?) from passing for 300 yards, then our vaunted run defense went completely in the weeds and allowed Ray Rice to rip us off for 150 yards on the ground.

Aaron Smith and Troy Polamalu's value cannot be overstated....

steeltheone
08-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Farrior is the defensive leader, as far as on-the-field playcalls and being Lebeau's eyes and ears on the field. He is our defensive captain.

However, I think what the original post was getting at was that we were missing a serious lockerroom presence last year on defense. They lacked attitude....

And the guy that was missing from the puzzle, was LARRY FOOTE....and we have him back again.

Larry Foote? He is a good backup...Thats it!

Goat27
08-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Yancey?

Yep

DoubleYoi
08-10-2010, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE=SteelCityKing;832811]yeah, but somehow they opted to bring some of those guys back this season. yet they let Deshea Townsend go. why not bring back Duce Staley!? QUOTE]

McFadden and Randle El were lost to Free Agency and Foote went to Detroit to become a starter. No doubt the Steelers would've re-signed McFadden and Randle El after the SB wins if they could've afforded them. Those situations are very different than voluntarily letting go of Jason Gildon and Earl Holmes when they have more than capable replacements waiting in the wings.

BTW, if you don't think McFadden or El will help us this year, we're very far apart opinion-wise. Our secondary and receiving corps can really use some help.

steeltheone
08-10-2010, 03:11 PM
We would not have signed El because we dont spend big money in wideouts. The only reason we got Mcfadden back is because he bombed out in Arizonia. I do think these guys will help. Adds good depth.

kirklandrules
08-10-2010, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE=SteelCityKing;832811]yeah, but somehow they opted to bring some of those guys back this season. yet they let Deshea Townsend go. why not bring back Duce Staley!? QUOTE]

McFadden and Randle El were lost to Free Agency and Foote went to Detroit to become a starter. No doubt the Steelers would've re-signed McFadden and Randle El after the SB wins if they could've afforded them. Those situations are very different than voluntarily letting go of Jason Gildon and Earl Holmes when they have more than capable replacements waiting in the wings.

BTW, if you don't think McFadden or El will help us this year, we're very far apart opinion-wise. Our secondary and receiving corps can really use some help.

I agree with what you're saying regarding how the Steelers view these guys as free agents. I also think B Mac will provide a boost to our secondary. He was made for the way our CBs are asked to play. Had he stayed here last year I think we would have seen him grow stronger. Of course I should add that I don't think he's a shutdown corner, but a good corner in our system none-the-less.

But I do not agree that El provides a boost to our passing game, although I think there are weapons that might appear during the season. Possibly Sanders looking like Wallace as a rookie or Battle looking like Cedric Wilson a few years ago or Grisham catching on or Miller getting more receiving opportunities. As much as I don't like Arians in the running game, he's done a great job in the passing game. I was always frustrated under Cowher when we'd have decent receivers and never throw to them. With Arians, you'll see these unheralded WRs getting their opportunities. So El won't be any better than what we saw of him before he left, but I don't think we'll need him to be a stud ... just play his part and make a play every now and then.

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Larry Foote? He is a good backup...Thats it!

A good backup?

He is better at stopping the run than Timmons is, by far (at least based on performances up to this point), and that is the main reason why last year, they would bring Fox in on running downs and Timmons on obvious passing downs.

Prety much every article I have read about last year's defensive collapse, the players attributed much of it to missing the STRONG LOCKERROOM PRESENCE that Larry Foote had.

I am not talking necessarily about his on-field contributions-- I am talking about who is the guy in the lockerroom that gets the defense fired up before games....

steeltheone
08-12-2010, 03:06 AM
We have one of the oldest defensive teams in the league. They should not need a lockerroom presence.

Take off your homer glasses. Foote is a good average player. Bottom line.

Detroit would have given him boat loads of money to stay. They did not.

FourThreeMafia
08-12-2010, 03:26 AM
A good backup?

He is better at stopping the run than Timmons is, by far (at least based on performances up to this point), and that is the main reason why last year, they would bring Fox in on running downs and Timmons on obvious passing downs.

Prety much every article I have read about last year's defensive collapse, the players attributed much of it to missing the STRONG LOCKERROOM PRESENCE that Larry Foote had.

I am not talking necessarily about his on-field contributions-- I am talking about who is the guy in the lockerroom that gets the defense fired up before games....

He is better at shedding blocks than Timmons, but Timmons overall game is better and is improving. Also, Timmons wasnt as bad against the run as some made him out to be. he needs to get better, no doubt, but it was overblown, especially considering he wasnt playing at 100% most of the year.

Foote is a very average starter, but needs the right pieces around him, which he has here. In Detroit, he didnt work out because he didnt have a good team around him and he isnt the player you.

As I said before, if Farrior continues to show his age, Id start giving Timmons reps at the mack spot and put Foote back at Buck. Timmons is more suited to play Farrior's spot than where he is now.

And I havent heard a single player say thats why they fell apart. Care to post those quotes and sources?

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-12-2010, 01:18 PM
We have one of the oldest defensive teams in the league. They should not need a lockerroom presence.

What does their age have to do with whether or not they benefit from a firebrand0type of character in the lockeroom to help the team get pumped before games? Totally non-sequitur...

Take off your homer glasses. Foote is a good average player. Bottom line.

Maybe I need to try saying this a little bit slower for you-- I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT LARRY FOOTE'S ON FIELD PERFORMANCE SO MUCH AS HIS CONTRIBUTION IN THE LOCKEROOM.

Detroit would have given him boat loads of money to stay. They did not.

I think it has already been established that the Lions are no judge of talent, nor do they know how to manage a roster or use players the way they were intended.

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-12-2010, 01:31 PM
He is better at shedding blocks than Timmons, but Timmons overall game is better and is improving.

But that does not make him better for our system than the guy who has successfully filled that spot for the last 6 years (Foote) yet. Timmons has better speed, better coverage skills, and better pass rushing skills, but as we found out last year, he does not know how to shed blocks or stuff the run. He is getting better, he may be awesome this year.

Don't get me wrong-- I REALLY like Timmons. But I think you are being a homer about Foote. When he left everyone was up in arms around here last season about how Timmons can't stop the run (and didn't last season), and claiming that Tomlin is ruining this team for letting "crucial pieces of the puzzle walk".

Foote was always accepted as an important component to our dominant LB corps. Now, just because he went to another team for a year, he is terrible? I think not.

Also, Timmons wasnt as bad against the run as some made him out to be.

True, plus he was injured last year. But it is undeniable that we got gashed in the ground game last year without Smith in the lineup. The fact we have to depend on a 35 year old veteran to stop other team's ground games is disturbing at best. Keep in mind who we havein our division now-- Ray Rice and (maybe) Cedric Benson again.

Foote is a very average starter, but needs the right pieces around him, which he has here. In Detroit, he didnt work out because he didnt have a good team around him and he isnt the player you.

Again, for abou the fourth time now-- I AM NOT TALKING SO MUCH ABOUT HIS ON-FIELD PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM TALKING ABOU THE VETERAN LOCKERROOM PRESENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I need to say it slower? I don't understand why you guys are having such a struggle catching this concept.

As I said before, if Farrior continues to show his age, Id start giving Timmons reps at the mack spot and put Foote back at Buck. Timmons is more suited to play Farrior's spot than where he is now.

Why do we give our defense as a whole a break, saying they had an "off-year" but not individual players? Is it possible Farrior just had a bad year last season?

And I havent heard a single player say thats why they fell apart. Care to post those quotes and sources?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100801/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_steelers_farrior___foote

http://stillers-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14731

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2009/05/larry_foote_missing_as_pittsbu.html

http://blog.mlive.com/twominutedrill/2009/12/live_chat_extra_lions_need_to.html

http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/107298-lions-lb-larry-foote-among-three-named.html

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2010/3/13/1371855/larry-foote-wants-to-play-for-a

http://www.timesleader.com/sports/LATROBE__mdash__Larry_Foote_is_the_mouth_08-01-2010.html

http://www.wikio.com/sports/football/football_players/larry_foote

Are you guys gonna tell how he is an "average backup" again? I feel like I am talking to a couple of fenceposts here.....come on, I know you guys are both smarter than this because I have read your other posts.

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-12-2010, 02:28 PM
I feel like I am talking to a couple of fenceposts here.....come on, I know you guys are both smarter than this because I have read your other posts.

That was unnecessary of me. My emotions get the better of me sometimes too.

I apologize, but seriously...it is like you two are deliberately stonewalling me or something. I mean, I know I am not one of the most frequent posters here, but in the few instances when I actually speak up around here-- it is usually because I am pretty sure of something or once in a while I actually have something halfway smart to say.

I am not saying Larry Foote is headed to Canton-- I am simply saying that he was the veteran voice we were missing in our lockerrroom. And before him, it was Joey Porter (and when Joey left, our defense and team as a whole had a similar limp d!ck sag in performance in 2006 as well).

And again, it is not a requirement for us to have that firebrand personality in the lockerroom, but it sure doesn't hurt. I think that was the main difference between our 2008 defense and our 2009 unit-- they had all the same skills and all, just a lack of intensity. In 2008, they came ou ready to rip the other team's skulls off, in 2009, they looked like they were just going through the motions.

steeltheone
08-12-2010, 03:14 PM
I am not saying Larry Foote is headed to Canton-- I am simply saying that he was the veteran voice we were missing in our lockerrroom. And before him, it was Joey Porter (and when Joey left, our defense and team as a whole had a similar limp d!ck sag in performance in 2006 as well).

I'm trying to tell you we have a lockeroom full of veteran voices. Half the lineup is 30 plus. So that trashes that statement.

And again, it is not a requirement for us to have that firebrand personality in the lockerroom, but it sure doesn't hurt. I think that was the main difference between our 2008 defense and our 2009 unit-- they had all the same skills and all, just a lack of intensity. In 2008, they came ou ready to rip the other team's skulls off, in 2009, they looked like they were just going through the motions.[/QUOTE]

This i blame on older complacent players. We have gotten old and slow at certain positions.

steeltheone
08-12-2010, 03:26 PM
But it is undeniable that we got gashed in the ground game last year without Smith in the lineup. The fact we have to depend on a 35 year old veteran to stop other team's ground games is disturbing at best. Keep in mind who we havein our division now-- Ray Rice and (maybe) Cedric Benson again.

In 2009 we ranked 3rd in rushing D 89.9 yards a game..
In 2008 we ranked 2nd in rushing D 80.2 yards a game
Practically the same results for a quarter of the price...Smith is overrated at this point in his career...Probabl
y underrated 4 years ago

Again, for abou the fourth time now-- I AM NOT TALKING SO MUCH ABOUT HIS ON-FIELD PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM TALKING ABOU THE VETERAN LOCKERROOM PRESENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As i stated before Foote is younger than half our Defense..

Why do we give our defense as a whole a break, saying they had an "off-year" but not individual players? Is it possible Farrior just had a bad year last season?

Normally don't get better at 35 unless you played in the MLB

Are you guys gonna tell how he is an "average backup" again? I feel like I am talking to a couple of fenceposts here.....come on, I know you guys are both smarter than this because I have read your other posts.[/QUOTE]

He was also an average starter, surrounded by Pro Bowlers.. I do like LF.. Without average dependable players you can't win.

FourThreeMafia
08-12-2010, 04:08 PM
But that does not make him better for our system than the guy who has successfully filled that spot for the last 6 years (Foote) yet. Timmons has better speed, better coverage skills, and better pass rushing skills, but as we found out last year, he does not know how to shed blocks or stuff the run. He is getting better, he may be awesome this year.

Timmons KNOWS how to do both, he just doesnt do either consistently. He improved over the last few years, and hopefully, this is the year he makes a big leap in that area.

Don't get me wrong-- I REALLY like Timmons. But I think you are being a homer about Foote

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Youre the one pimping Foote. How am I being a homer?

Maybe you meant to say Im being a homer about Timmons. Then again, that would be just as bad, because I never even said that Timmons was that good. Just that Foote isnt much better and that Timmons is improving.

When he left everyone was up in arms around here last season about how Timmons can't stop the run (and didn't last season), and claiming that Tomlin is ruining this team for letting "crucial pieces of the puzzle walk".

Foote was always accepted as an important component to our dominant LB corps. Now, just because he went to another team for a year, he is terrible? I think not.

Foote, just like Ike Taylor, is a solid player that fits our system, but they arent players with massive potential or talent. Timmons is. He was a project coming out and was really young. Steeler fans are so impatient and they turn on any player that doesnt contribute or pan out from the get go.

And who said Foote was terrible?

True, plus he was injured last year. But it is undeniable that we got gashed in the ground game last year without Smith in the lineup. The fact we have to depend on a 35 year old veteran to stop other team's ground games is disturbing at best. Keep in mind who we havein our division now-- Ray Rice and (maybe) Cedric Benson again.

Our run D was 3rd in the league last year. The problem was we gave up bigger runs at inoppurtune times.

This defense is partly built around Aaron Smith. Its like if the Ravens lost Haloti Ngata...the defense is gonna suffer.

People are acting like Foote was the missing piece. With Troy and Aaron out most of the year and Farrior declining, Foote wouldnt have fared much better than Timmons. It may have helped the run game a bit, but it wouldnt have made any kind of major difference.

Do I need to say it slower? I don't understand why you guys are having such a struggle catching this concept.

Dont say it slower....using caps and tons of exclamation marks is much better and makes you look brilliant. [/sarcasm]

No one is arguing that his locker room presence wont help, but you WERE arguning his on field presence as well, which is what I was debating.

I dont mind having Foote back, but his loss wasnt the reason we struggled last year and having him back only creates better depth and THAT is what will help...not him being that great.

Ive already stated that same thing several times, but at his age, he is only going one direction. He could definitely have a better season this year, but I do think he is on his way out.

Are you guys gonna tell how he is an "average backup" again? I feel like I am talking to a couple of fenceposts here.....come on, I know you guys are both smarter than this because I have read your other posts.

First off, thanks for posting the links.

I said he is an average STARTER which he is and always has been. He was a good fit for the Steeler defense because he was physical, played smart and within his strengths, and allowed the defense around him to make up for his shortcomings. He never had a big ego and tried to play hero. But in the end, he was never more than an average player surrounded by other great players.

Foote is not a bad player by any means and I like having him on the team, but again, his loss wasnt what hurt this defense and getting him back wont suddenly make it much better. His depth will definitely help, but without Troy or Aaron, having Foote back wouldnt really make a noticeable difference.

cloppbeast
08-12-2010, 08:45 PM
we need J Peazy back.

steeltheone
08-12-2010, 08:49 PM
we need J Peazy back.

Well he is younger than Smith, keisel and Farrior...

FourThreeMafia
08-12-2010, 11:01 PM
we need J Peazy back.

I really hope this was a joke.

Fire Arians
08-13-2010, 12:17 AM
We need to fire arians!

cloppbeast
08-13-2010, 12:16 PM
We need to fire arians!

Just keep letting the sh*t fly. lol. I guess it's Arians fault we don't have any leaders on defense.

FourThreeMafia
08-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Just keep letting the sh*t fly. lol. I guess it's Arians fault we don't have any leaders on defense.

This is horse poo.