PDA

View Full Version : C.Hope Wants To Remain A Steeler

drizze99
02-15-2006, 12:54 PM
S Chris Hope's agent say he hopes to negotiate a deal that will keep the Steelers' free safety in Pittsburgh but acknowledged that in free agency "business is business." Pat Kirwan, a senior analyst for NFL.com, predicts Hope will be one of the first 10 free agents signed.

Source: LINK (http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16126897&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6)

clevestinks
02-15-2006, 01:25 PM
I like Chris Hope some, but I believe that our system protected him somewhat, he isn`t as good as the money he will get. I`m not sold on him entirely! And wouldn`t be to sad to se him go, although we are thin at that position

Suitanim
02-15-2006, 01:37 PM
This is all pretty standard stuff...I think the NFL must issue a booklet "Standard Responses to Free Agency Questions".

The bottom line is almost always this: Stay in Pittsburgh for fair money and contend every year, or go play in Arizona or Cleveland for a few more sheckles and never play in a Championship game again.

melroseplace
02-15-2006, 02:02 PM
I agree that he's not worth the money he's getting, but I would definitely like to see him stick around. hopefully he's smart enough to realize that if he stays here he's got a good shot of going back to the SB. that should be incentive...

83-Steelers-43
02-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Losing Hope would hurt only because we don't have anybody solid to back him up. That scares me. For a FS he rarely get's his hands on the ball. He is a product of our system and I don't see us blowing big time cash on keeping him here. We will obviously make an attempt, but I don't see the Rooney's putting a nice chunk of change aside for Chris Hope.

Also, keep in mind the guy is only 25.

Atlanta Dan
02-15-2006, 02:53 PM
You actually can make an argument that if you candidly evaluate your own talent and know you are mostly a product of being in the right place at the right time, then you should grab for the FA $$$ rather than take less $$ to stay where you are and assume you will be a player with your current team for life.

The classic case is Larry Brown after Dallas won the SB, who cashed in as a FA (and flopped) because O'Donnell gift-wrapped the INTs. Another example was Dexter Jackson, whom the Steelers pursued in 2002, and who fortunately ended up in Arizona (now back in Tampa) while the Steelers had to "settle" for trading up and drafting Troy.

The history of SB champs is that second-tier starters that are in their FA year get to cash in because someone confuses their talent within a system to individual talent. The two cases this year are ARE and Hope. Both are nice role players, but if the Steelers thought they absolutely needed to keep either one they would be signed by now. I have no doubt ARE is gone and little reason to believe Hope is staying. Given that this should not come as a shock to the Steelers, I assume they have a plan for replacing Hope.

WWIIOwheelz
02-15-2006, 03:06 PM
/\/\/\/\

Excellent post and very true.

83-Steelers-43
02-15-2006, 03:06 PM
I assume they have a plan for replacing Hope.

I "Hope".....hehe.....sorry, that was horrible. :dang:

Ambridge
02-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Who's Hope's back-up........Tyrone Carter??

I know he had a pick or two during the season along with some solid ST's play so maybe he can take his performance to the next level and step in as the new starter??

83-Steelers-43
02-15-2006, 03:20 PM
He had one sack and one INT this season.

Ambridge
02-15-2006, 03:29 PM
He had one sack and one INT this season.

Some experience is better than none and what little he did get was probably against the better competition in the league.

83-Steelers-43
02-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Some experience is better than none and what little he did get was probably against the better competition in the league.

Yeah, I believe Carter is 29 yrs old. I have not seen enough of him to really make an honest or accurate observation of the guy and that's what scares me. Not sure If want him filling in for Hope if he leaves. He sure does talk alot on the field though. Heard him on the mic a few times this season.

4xSBChamps
02-15-2006, 03:42 PM
..... if he sincerely "WANTS" to remain a Stiller, he'll inform his agent to pursue 'alternative' means of structuring his contract with the Club:
if it is BS, he'll go else-where.

A 'smart' ball-player can sense whan he is a part of something with potential:
does he take the money and run, or stay and remain a winner?

TasmanianTroy271
02-15-2006, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't want Carter to start, he has a big mouth, and he's only like 5'9". Troy's the physical Safety, we need someone who can play the pass. Mike Logan might be able to if he could stay healthy for a year, but he's had problems all this year, and was on IR most of last year. I'd assume a FA pick up (from the Falcons, they have 3 FA's who are 28 years old and have all started at FS in the NFL) or a first day draft pick. Probably the former, because our day 1 draft picks'll probably be C, WR, and DE or RB (not nessacarily in that order).

Long Island Steel
02-15-2006, 05:14 PM
Bring back Townsend and make him the FS.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
02-16-2006, 10:36 PM
I am not sold on hope yet but it would be good to have him back I hope we try to get him back if we can't I am pretty sold on tyrone carter.

Stlrs4Life
02-16-2006, 10:49 PM
This is all pretty standard stuff...I think the NFL must issue a booklet "Standard Responses to Free Agency Questions".

The bottom line is almost always this: Stay in Pittsburgh for fair money and contend every year, or go play in Arizona or Cleveland for a few more sheckles and never play in a Championship game again.

You got it. I believe we resign him though.

Fordy
02-17-2006, 02:16 AM
We won the super bowl with Hope as our starting safety so I see no reason why we shouldnt re-sign him. He is a big hitter and has a knack for Int's and making a big play..I like Tyrone Carter alot, he reminds me of a better version of Lee Flowers.

mopit55
02-17-2006, 06:42 AM
tyrone can take the place? no he's backup and a special team player.hope stay it's sure at 80%. i say what i think but it's always mo'money and chris now has a super bowl so cromartie is maybe the answer in draft but in free agent the young db of seahawks and ex gator marquand manuel is an oportunity.

BlackNGold203
02-17-2006, 08:54 AM
keep in mind....Hope has the experience of playing with Troy...Troy is a special deal....the way Lebeau uses him, is very unorthodox....Hope is comfortable with the scheme...allowing Troy to be Troy. Dont dismiss the fact that Hope is often left alone while Troy roams...and he has given up very few big plays.

Hope is better than he's being given credit for...and bringing in a new FS will take alot of adjustment, including having to rein in Troy for awhile. Signing Hope has to be a priority.