PDA

View Full Version : Randle-El To Chicago?

Atlanta Dan
02-15-2006, 05:31 PM
This Chicago Tribune story sure makes it sound like ARE is going to the Bears.

"If God leads me here to Chicago, I certainly prefer that situation for my family if it is the best situation for me coming in and playing. If this is a team that needs a receiver or a punt returner or what have you ? those are the things that are most important."

I am not going to begrudge ARE his money and have enjoyed his 4 years with the Steelers, but it sounds like God will be leading ARE to wherever the the best deal is.

I have heard ARE is sincerely and devoutly religous, but when athletes invoke God and family when the real issues are $$ and playing time I for one get tired of hearing it. For once I wish some pro athlete would not be ashamed to state the very legitimate financial reasons for moving on - people in every other occupation do it and pro athletes should not feel a need to put out a cover story for what is a legitimate business decision.

Good luck to ARE at his new place of employment.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060214mitchell,1,6100836.column?coll=chi-sportscolumnistfront-hed

Ambridge
02-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Kinda reminds me of Reggie White when he said "God" told him to play for the Green Bay Packers.

BB2W
02-15-2006, 05:45 PM
This has been going on for awhile... The Bears said during Senior Bowl week that El would be their first priority in free agency. My money says he will end up in the windy city. My friends at the Bears message board act like he is already playing in Chicago. They don't have much cap room to spare, but I think they will use what they got for El.

83-Steelers-43
02-15-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm sure many will disagree, but If Randle El is asking for too much money, let Chicago over pay him. It's still my opinion that Randle El is a good third slot WR but an average second slot WR. With the exception of his punt return skills (which Morgan could take over) I think the guy is not that big of a loss. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see us sign him, but he's not worth breaking the bank over.

We'll see how well he's doing in Chicago next season (If it occurs).

Just my opinion.

clevestinks
02-15-2006, 06:11 PM
I'm sure many will disagree, but If Randle El is asking for too much money, let Chicago over pay him. It's still my opinion that Randle El is a good third slot WR but an average second slot WR. With the exception of his punt return skills (which Morgan could take over) I think the guy is not that big of a loss. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see us sign him, but he's not worth breaking the bank over.

We'll see how well he's doing in Chicago next season (If it occurs).

Just my opinion.
And my opinion also!

lotas
02-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Yeah, and it seems like a lot of the plays that make him shine and standout to non-Steelers and non-Steeler fans (our "gadget" plays especially during the playoffs) are plays that not every team can run. The Steelers know how to execute those plays and make them work, I'm sorry, maybe I'm biased, but I just can't see the Bears' offense running gadget plays with ARE, and if they do in fact use him as a #1/2 receiver he is short, and I don't know how my confidence is in him as far as route-running.

All in all I love the guy, though.

clevestinks
02-15-2006, 06:25 PM
His gadget play skills will be missed, he can not only sell the run on his pass plays, but his passes are on the money. I see us picking up a late round gadget guy again, maybe Mike Robinson, PSU

Atlanta Dan
02-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Of course, Hines was the go to WR passer before ARE.

One of the sweetest gadgets I recall, when Mularkey was O-coordinator, involved Hines on a 2 point conversion against the Titans in the playoff game loss.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Chicago desperately needs another starting WR opposite Muhammed so it makes sense..but we'll see. I'd rather have him go to chicago than the Pats any day.

we have lots of players who do the gadget stuff.. Hines, Cedric, Heath Miller so our options will still be open for that kinda stuff.

OX1947
02-15-2006, 06:42 PM
i dont understand it. How the hell is it that every year we are near or over the cap. Replacing El isnt the point its more of having the same core together. how the hell do the Patriots do it and we cant. It doesnt make sense...

Atlanta Dan
02-15-2006, 06:50 PM
i dont understand it. How the hell is it that every year we are near or over the cap. Replacing El isnt the point its more of having the same core together. how the hell do the Patriots do it and we cant. It doesnt make sense...

Maybe Ty Law, Drew Bledsoe, and Lawyer Milloy (or their agents) can tell you. The Pats let front line players go too. The trick is letting go of players that are on the downside or are not value for the price they are demanding.

Over the last 5 years the Steelers have done a pretty good job of deciding who to keep, who to let go, and who not to sign to a big long-term contract after just 1 good year (e.g. Kordell in 2001)

SalukiSteelers
02-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Don Pierson, a Chicago Tribune writer who has covered the NFL for years, said that he thought that ARE priced himself out of Chicago with his postseason and Super Bowl play.

While ARE is a Chicago-area guy, I can't see the Bears running the type of offense that would justify paying him top receiver dollars. Are the Bears gonna start running gadget plays? Who knows, though, because their regular offense didn't do much.

Another snag for the Bears is that their other receiver, Berrian I think is his name, was Grossman's favorite target when they played together. The guy has top-end speed and the QB already looks for him so it makes me wonder how much a possible number three wideout is worth to the Bears.

pucho58
02-15-2006, 07:04 PM
I think we will be fine without without El. Remember they let Plax go last year and we still won the Super Bowl.

Atlanta Dan
02-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Don Pierson, a Chicago Tribune writer who has covered the NFL for years, said that he thought that ARE priced himself out of Chicago with his postseason and Super Bowl play.

While ARE is a Chicago-area guy, I can't see the Bears running the type of offense that would justify paying him top receiver dollars. Are the Bears gonna start running gadget plays? Who knows, though, because their regular offense didn't do much.

Another snag for the Bears is that their other receiver, Berrian I think is his name, was Grossman's favorite target when they played together. The guy has top-end speed and the QB already looks for him so it makes me wonder how much a possible number three wideout is worth to the Bears.

With regard to ARE's post-season pricing him out of Chicago, it indicates to me that someone is focusing only on the sizzle

ARE's post-season stats:

Game Rec Yards TD Punt returns Punt return yards
CIN 2 15 0 2 21
IND 3 30 1 5 50
DEN 4 52 0 1 13
SEA 3 22 0 2 32

The cross-field lateral in Cincinnati (in which Ben said ARE ran too far to his right before the throwback) and the option TD to Hines were sweet, but were not exactly looking at Swann/Stalllwiorth/Rice post-season stats here.

R2sojr
02-15-2006, 09:04 PM
I see it this way..yeah El is a good reciever and is fit for our system..but if its all about the money...ppl say it isnt but i know it is...then if their willing to pay him big bucks he should leave...but ill tell u this...id rather make ALL RIGHT money and win super bowls rather than makin the big bucks and having my season end at week 16. even with randel el there offence is still horrible they could only score an average of 16 points a game...so good luck el and have fun watchin us in the super bowl:tt: :yeehaw:

Man_Of_Steel
02-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Let El go. He's a ****y egotistical jerk.

Man do I hate professional athletes like that.

VegasStlrFan
02-16-2006, 01:00 AM
I understand leaving for the $$$, but these agents/pros have to realize that a major part of their success is the system and their complementing players. I don't want to see him leave, but if he goes I think he will be sorry in the future. He may be there best QB as well as WR but what can you do w/o any talent around you. He better sign for big $$$ early b/c he will end up looking below average in their system in a couple years.

ngreene15
02-16-2006, 03:39 PM
I don't see how a player who just won a Superbowl (the ultimate prize in football.) with the Steelers, could consider leaving for an inferior team.

SteelCityMan786
02-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Hey El You want a 2nd ring right? Well stay with us and you can win another one once again.

OX1947
02-16-2006, 04:27 PM
How much do you think the Steelers woul pay? Is El looking for 3 mil a year? What is the deal on the numbers?

83-Steelers-43
02-16-2006, 04:35 PM
I have not heard any numbers being thrown around in the local media here in Pittsburgh.

As for what I think he would be asking for...........If I had to guess I would go with three million at least. In my opinion paying Randle El three million is crazy.

clevestinks
02-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Back in Sept. we should have really thought about this contract, IF the Steelers were really interested inkeeping him. He is a great third rec. and maybe a No.2 but if he wants No.1 money, there is the door. think Chicago is inevitable

WWIIOwheelz
02-16-2006, 04:44 PM
I was thinking 2.5/yr was his ceiling before the Superbowl (for someone else), but that trick play upped his worth to someone with almost no doubt. That and having a good year returning kicks.

He's a great player, extremely physically gifted, but again, he occasionally makes some very bad decisions in crunch time. Chicago might be a great fit for him, and if so, more power to them. I like the Bears, would love to see them renew themselves as a power in the NFC.

mopit55
02-16-2006, 05:07 PM
And my opinion also!
it's sure at 80% but the real question is what doing?search a new receiver? it's probably. in free agent antonio bryant is good,he's a pitboy,toomer...no,moulds...no,owens...no,reggie wayne...is a good physical player but expensive,it's more sure to take in the draft,maybe the gator chad jackson,sino moss...yes it will be fun,derek hagan,maurice stovall,greg lee,martin nance?so answer please my is moss or bryant.

83-Steelers-43
02-16-2006, 05:16 PM
This has already been established, but for the record.....Antonio Bryant is a complete tool. He was a punk in college and he has already proven that he is a punk in the pro's (throwing a practice jersey in your HC face is pathetic).

Robinson out of PSU would be nice.

Suitanim
02-16-2006, 07:27 PM
Ahhhh...offseason. Same stuff, different thread.

ARE is the first of many to be overvalued, and overpaid and doomed to disappear in another teams inferior system. Hell, TO with a brain transplant would probably drop off the charts in that pathetic excuse for an offense. But, hey, if God told him to take the money and run, who are we to argue with God?

If he leaves for Da Bears, Buh-bye ARE. Steve Smith II? Nah, more like Troy Edwards...

Man_Of_Steel
02-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Ahhhh...offseason. Same stuff, different thread.

ARE is the first of many to be overvalued, and overpaid and doomed to disappear in another teams inferior system. Hell, TO with a brain transplant would probably drop off the charts in that pathetic excuse for an offense. But, hey, if God told him to take the money and run, who are we to argue with God?

If he leaves for Da Bears, Buh-bye ARE. Steve Smith II? Nah, more like Troy Edwards...

I agree 100%. El is one of the most overrated players I've seen in a while. What has he done that is so great that the Steelers can't win without him? Way way too much hype over this guy. Let him go, he won't be missed.

Atlanta Dan
02-20-2006, 09:01 AM
FYI is Pete Prisco's take on CBS Sportsline on the pros and cons of paying ARE top FA $$$. Pretty good analysis of the pros and cons.

A guy who should be a hot free agent when the period opens, based on talks with some league personnel, is Steelers receiver Antwaan Randle El. He can do a lot of things, but here's something to consider: He isn't a down-the-field deep threat. Randle El is outstanding on the medium-range routes, but he doesn't have burning speed. He's more quick than fast. At one point during last season, the Steelers were lamenting that they didn't have the vertical threat after letting Plaxico Burress leave.

Randle El is a quality receiver, and he did have 10 plays of at least 20 yards, so there is some big-play ability there. It's just that he's not a vertical threat, even though he averaged 15.1 yards per catch.

A lot of his success comes from the way the Steelers scheme up their offense. They use a lot of bunch formations in passing downs as a way to get receivers open in crossing routes. A lot of times this leads to busts in coverage and wide-open receivers. That helped the team lead the league in yards per attempt. That number is more about scheme than speed.

Randle El is an interesting player in this free-agent market. He will help any team that signs him, but don't expect him to be a No. 1 receiver. He is a quality return man, which helps his value. But if you pay him top receiver money, do you want him returning punts and kickoffs? I like the guy, but if you're the Steelers, what do you do? Do you pay him or let him walk? Hines Ward is their go-to guy. They let Burress go last year, so the feeling is they likely will let Randle El go too if the price gets too high.

Ambridge
02-20-2006, 10:42 AM
IMO the Steelers should make a reasonable attempt to re-sign Randle El.
He brings a lot to the table that a lot of other teams want.....which is his versatility
(Receiver, Punt Returner, Quarterback)

He definately adds different facets to the Pittsburgh offense.

I heard that Penn States Michael Robinson would be a possible replacement for Randle El if he decides to take his services elsewhere.

SteelCurtain
02-20-2006, 12:37 PM
I like El, but he hasn't been that productive...If we can sign him for a reasonable amount then do it or if he wants to much, then I would love to see Robinson in Black and Gold as his replacement

Dook
02-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Someone asked why the Steelers are over the cap every year. It's because players salaries are backloaded. Players earn more each successive year so the team can get use out of them before the really big money kicks in so we are destined to always be over the cap year after year.

This means we really need to make good draft selections or have our good expensive players (Porter and Hartings) restructure their contracts and take less money.

The Steelers are pretty good at paying a player what they are worth instead of what they think they are worth.

I think we should offer Randel El a contract for 5 years at $7.75m, and no more.

If he goes we still have Ward, Wilson, Morgan, and Washington. And we would draft a WR either 1st or 2nd round.