PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Never practiced vs. the 4-3

California-Steel
08-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Steelers begin prepping for opposing 4-3 defenses
By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 12, 2010

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_694536.html

Bruce Arians promised the Steelers will run the ball better this year. To do that, his offense is doing things they have never done before in training camp.

Because the Steelers struggled getting a running game going against 4-3 defensive fronts a year ago and have 10 games against teams that use four down linemen and three linebackers this year, they are preparing themselves now.

The offense spent a good portion of Wednesday morning's practice running team drills against a 4-3 front to get the players used to the look.

Not only was it the first time this camp they have done such a thing, it was the first time they have ever worked on it during practice.

"In years past, we wouldn't even practice it," Arians said. "We would just go play them. It is a real disadvantage to the offensive line."

The Steelers' offense goes up against their 3-4 defense every day during practice. When the games come around against teams that don't run that front, they are at a disadvantage.

"It is very hard for these guys to see a 3-4 blitzing defense the entire spring and the entire camp, and then go up against an entirely different defense, especially the assignment part of it in the running game," Arians said.

Seven of the Steelers' worst rushing performances a year ago came against 4-3 teams. Their five best rushing days (202 against Miami, 177 against San Diego, 173 against Denver, 152 against Baltimore, 140 against Cleveland) came against the 3-4.

"We don't get to see that defense (4-3) that much," right guard Trai Essex said. "It is not a big adjustment, but it is good that we are doing this during practice."

The offense doesn't necessarily practice the techniques of a penetrating 4-3 defense during drills, but more along the lines of what to expect out of the defense.

"If you don't practice against it, then you aren't going to get better," tackle Max Starks said.

The Steelers will get a good look at the 4-3 during preseason. Three of their four exhibition opponents run the front Detroit, the New York Giants and Carolina and the Steelers open the season with three consecutive games against 4-3 teams Atlanta, Tennessee and Tampa Bay.

"We usually throw the ball pretty well in those situations, but it is something we feel that we have to address," Arians said.

pete74
08-12-2010, 03:22 PM
i cant belive they wouldnt practice against a 4-3.

stiller39
08-12-2010, 04:03 PM
I am shocked that a professional team preparing to face a 4-3 defense would not practice against a 4-3 scheme prior to playing them.... WHAT is up with that??

scsteeler
08-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Yes you would think they would run that scheme to help them play against the 4-3. I guess you would have to teach your defense 4-3 schemes run against the offense.

So Was this during the Tomlin years or Cowher year's also.

pete74
08-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Yes you would think they would run that scheme to help them play against the 4-3. I guess you would have to teach your defense 4-3 schemes run against the offense.

So Was this during the Tomlin years or Cowher year's also.

i would love to know that as well. i guess this answers my question of why we usually play poor against a 4-3.

scsteeler
08-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Well I hope we do well against the 4-3. I wonder if this is the beginning of the Steelers defense trying some type of Hybrid defense with the 4-3. LOL

mikegrimey
08-12-2010, 06:41 PM
No wonder every team that beat us in the 08 season (and raped the hell out of our oline) was a 4-3.

I still remember those Eagles and Giants came and how Ben could hardly drop back 3 steps before there'd be guys in his face.

steeltheone
08-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Wow even the PIAA high school football programs practice against the different schemes they will face. This seems very unprofessional?

Fire Arians
08-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Arians doesn't need to practice against no stinkin' 4-3

LVSteelersfan
08-13-2010, 12:57 AM
Arians needs to be fired now for not running against a 4-3 defense before games. Or is that the DC's problem? Or the HC? It is about time they did something smart like that.

kirklandrules
08-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Arians doesn't need to practice against no stinkin' 4-3

This is kinda like he doesn't need a FB. Damn, this really shows our failures to protect the QB and run the ball. Practice makes perfect and we are seeing why we aren't perfect.

Isn't practicing the opposing teams formations and plays part of why you have a practice squad? I mean, unless we play our D-fense all year long, why would we just practice against those guys. :noidea:

wootawnee
08-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Well I hope we do well against the 4-3. I wonder if this is the beginning of the Steelers defense trying some type of Hybrid defense with the 4-3. LOL

I bet that is where this is going.......Why not?.....