PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks Draft

Hawk Believer
02-16-2006, 09:21 PM
First if all, the purpose of this thread is not to rehash perceptions of officiating at the Super Bowl. I, for one, did not fall into the comfortable trap of overlooking the Hawk's execution woes in favor of ref conspiracies. I hope that most people out here in the Northwest are moving on from that by now.

That being said.... About a month ago many of you started a crash course on the strengths and weaknesses of the Seattle Seahawks. Then you got to see them play somewhat anemically in the Superbowl. I am curious to hear some Steelers' fans take on what you think the Hawks should be looking for in the draft. If we met again in Miami next year, what additions would make you more nervous about facing Seattle?

Lets assume for discussions sake that the Hawks don't lose any big free agents (a big assumption with Alexander, Hutchinson, DB Manuel and WR Jurevicius among others on the block).

tony hipchest
02-16-2006, 09:45 PM
i dont know, are there any good head coaches in this years draft? j/k

a wr to compete w/ engram and a te. the jeramy stevens experiment has gone on long enough whereas the steelers struck gold with heath miller in the 1st year.

as far as the defensive shortcomings it really looked like the steelers capitalized on the youth, inexperience, and aggressiveness of players like totupu and boulware. patriots did the same to polamalu last year. more depth in the secondary would have helped and getting a healthy hamlin will be a good thing.

BlackNGold203
02-16-2006, 10:04 PM
hamlin would be a huge plus....safeties looked a bit off....

Definitely a more consistent tight end..and maybe a deep threat WR

drizze99
02-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Well, the reality of it all is that you will lose a big name to free agency. There is no way that the Hawks are going to be able to sign all 15 free agents.

With that said, I believe that you should keep the 'most' important names: Hutchinson, Mack, Jurevicius, & Manuel. Yes, I left out SA because I think he is going to want way to much to stay and he IS 29. Out of all the guys I named, Hutch will be the most expensive to keep. The others should sign fair contracts to keep the core together.

In the draft, the Hawks should draft a RB with the #31 pick. This draft features A LOT of solid RB's that can do the job in Seattle. As long as you keep the left side together and have Mack pave the way, a rookie RB will do fine.

Other positions that should be looked at are safety, and a speedy deap threat at WR.

Hawk Believer
02-16-2006, 11:33 PM
Hamlin is a big question mark. He appears to have recovered well. But if a traumatic brain injury has affected his cognition or motor function even by a little bit.... well that could be the difference between a good NFL safety and a good Arena league safety. We definately should keep Manuel and get more depth at safety. The lack of depth caused by Hamlin's decision to get into a bar fight killed us when Manuel got hurt and our safety gave up the Parker run and the gadget TD.

I agree about the deep threat WR. It seems like teams can find some of those in the middle rounds.

I also think we need to start thinking about finding someone to fill Mack Strong's gigantic shoes when he hangs it up.

Regarding Stevens. He had been pretty good this season until the Super Bowl. But it probably wouldn't hurt to pick up a prospect.

I think most people out here aren't as worried about the prospect of losing Alexander. There is a lot of "my mom could have put up 1800 yards behind that O-line" talk. I don't think that is entirely true. But I do think that Alexander will never see the success he had last year with any other team that would take him. I don't think many other teams would tolerate nor be able to survive his lack of enthusiasm for blocking. I'd like to see him back, but I wouldn't want to sell the farm for him. I'd be much more concerned about losing a Hutchinson, Walter Jones, or Hasselbeck.

BTW, I some local sports radio guys were talking about Alexander and his detractors the other day and Franco Harris's name came up. They were comparing Alexander and Harris as two guys that didn't do a lot of blocking and would often opt to run out of bounds instead of opting for a head on collision. The commenter was pointing out the advantage of such an approach, saying they could be more effective in their thirties because of this. The comment that cracked me up was something like "Sure, Franco Harris wasn't always gonna run you over, but he could still knock you out with a bag of Super Bowl rings."

Mr. Clean
02-17-2006, 07:02 PM
I think Alexander wants the biggest paycheck he can get, wherver that is.

I'm not sold on Mike Holmgren as coach. He plays the formula West Coast offense. LeBeau's defense will give up yards to a West Coast offense, filled with slants and other quick short passes, but eventually firms up against it.

Bell-up-chuck has been successful with the Patsies because they will do whatever it takes to beat you. They wil throw the ball down after down after down if you can't stop it. Or, if you can't stop the run, they will run, run, and run again. They attack the defense rather than stick to a particular system. The Steelers were like that this year. Want to stop the run? Okay, we'll throw it.

LambertIsGod58
02-17-2006, 07:43 PM
I think Seattle will be in the hunt again next year....I would concentrate on a big game receiver. Jackson is not much better than average. Maybe a CB as well. Trufant is tight. And Hamelin back would be good.

Stlrs4Life
02-18-2006, 10:07 AM
First, I would keep Sean Alexander, before I draft anybody. You have a good core on D. Add a couple of LBs.

BB2W
02-18-2006, 10:15 AM
I would think the Seahawks should take the best WR on the board... Engram and Jurevicius aren't getting any younger, and I think adding another more explosive receiver for Hasselback to got to would be tough to stop. :twocents:

Suitanim
02-18-2006, 06:03 PM
The squaks face an either/or, and it's either Alexander or Hutchinson. Either loss will hurt them pretty badly...

Hawk Believer
02-19-2006, 03:26 PM
The squaks face an either/or, and it's either Alexander or Hutchinson. Either loss will hurt them pretty badly...
I think they will probably franchise Hutch. I am not sure how much money he would eat up if they did that.

Suitanim
02-19-2006, 07:58 PM
I've heard that the Rats covet Alexander now, and I think they can afford to overpay him after they dump some of their own dead weight...

For those interested that means both Chester Taylor AND Jamal Lewis won't be offered contracts....