PDA

View Full Version : Rookies/Young guys looked good in Preseason

diehardsteeler
08-15-2010, 01:00 PM
A. Brown.....has got great hands and some wheels.looked great!
Redman....Again, the preseaon workhorse looked even better this year. good pass blocking.
Gibson... Played well, lokked bigger than posted, would have liked to see him show cover skills. Played at natural LDE psn
Pouncey...So much for RG, he looked good at C and call the line shifts great except once, early on
Samuels...Needs to get involved, was open a ton of times...good blocking
Young CB's...impressive but it was DET
Young Safetys...good takling, not much on cover skills
Slyvester...Made as many plays as he missed...left his feet too much
Dwyer...needs some work...atleast he didn't fumble
Frank the tank...Not sure were he fits, not a great blocker, good hands/ST play

My thoughts....what else did you see??

DS

whatdoiknow
08-15-2010, 01:12 PM
A. Brown.....has got great hands and some wheels.looked great!
Redman....Again, the preseaon workhorse looked even better this year. good pass blocking.
Gibson... Played well, lokked bigger than posted, would have liked to see him show cover skills. Played at natural LDE psn
Pouncey...So much for RG, he looked good at C and call the line shifts great except once, early on
Samuels...Needs to get involved, was open a ton of times...good blocking
Young CB's...impressive but it was DET
Young Safetys...good takling, not much on cover skills
Slyvester...Made as many plays as he missed...left his feet too much
Dwyer...needs some work...atleast he didn't fumble
Frank the tank...Not sure were he fits, not a great blocker, good hands/ST play

DS

Few takes. First, Pouncey did not look all that good. He needs to sustain his blocks, cause last night he did ot. Once his an is blocked, he needs to continue to block someone else. As for Gibson, he looked active yes. But he needs to tackle and wrap-up better. I thought Sylvester looked better actually. The best looking player to me last night was Tony Hills. Even though he was playing in a back-up role. He clearly looked technically sound, and was much better at drive blocking on running plays. Remember, Hills was a " Elite " college Tackle before he got hurt. Would have easily been a top-15 pick. If he is coming around, Flozell should be given his walking papers! And if Flozell plays in game 2 like he did last night.....he should be given his walking papers regardless.

StainlessStill
08-15-2010, 01:37 PM
You pretty much have my list down pat as well, so I'm going to use your criteria and throw in some of my automatic thoughts that come to mind.

A. Brown: This guy reeks of confidence and has the wheels of a Jet-train (If a jet train existed.) His positioning of his hands on that Touchdown catch late in the 4th QRT was a thing of BEAUTY. Very rarely does wideouts use their hands like that and that was certainly a hard thrown (and perfectly placed) ball to catch.

Redman: Redman is becoming a preseason animal. There's got to be somewhere along the line to give him his deserved shot in the regular season only if he keeps it up. He is said to be our best blocking RB in camp and runs nowhere but UP FIELD. Remember what it took for Willie to start? Seems like a similiar situation with Redman. We just don't know what we have unless you give the guy a shot.

Gibson: Saw him get held off the corner a couple times and respond accordingly with speed and precision. He has a sound game. Nothing spectacular but in a good way. Young Backers are groomed for years to come, he'll be okay.

Pouncey: A work in progress of course, but the coaching staff must see something in him to give him the nod under center with some starters still in. Tough to get a read on him. Gotta watch him more but he had a couple nice driveblocks near the goalline.

S Justin Thorton: Great effort. Some nice hits on Special Teams and also had some nice breakdown tackles in the open field. Seems like a hard hitter. He stuck out on some plays that made me remember the name on the back of his jersey.

Keenan Lewis: Mighty impressive going up against the physical and BIG receiver in starter Calvin Johnson, winning BOTH battles in the endzone. Made a GREAT play for a jumpball to break up a pass. That TD was also an offensive pushoff but ohwell. Lewis played well.

Slyvester: Made little mistakes but he had a nose for the football and noticed him throwing his body around when his number was called to blitz. We have something there. Eager to see him next week as well.

Dwyer: Seemed timid, just as expected. I have a bad feeling though and dissapointed thus far although I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Any update on his shoulder?

Frank the tank: Terrible. He is a terrible blocker and whiffed on a one on one block. He had a nice catch out of the backfield on 3rd down but that's where it ends. I'm not impressed with Frank the Tank. I look for him to be cut if he doesn't step up in blocking and protection. Dude's also a slob.

I saw Timmons finally playing like a middle backer and trucking a running back other than getting pushed aside. I saw him rush the passer quite nicely and cause havoc on that INT for Clark.

Fumbles from our backs, esp Mendy needs to be addressed ASAP. Hopefully they are working RIGHT NOW on coming up with some kind of drill for our backs to carry the football tight.

Also, seeing the defense stiffin up and look pretty good against the run with A.Smith back in the lineup was a sigh of relief.

Mewelde Moore's block on Dixon's TD called back was a page out of Hines Wards book. Impressive to help out his young QB and spring him. That's Pittsburgh style right there. Made up for his fumble earlier on.

I liked the way the bench players played on defense as well. They seemed to ALL be around the football and tackle as a defense and swarmed whoever had the ball. Good stuff.

I really do think our rookie wideouts in Sanders and Brown are already special in their debuts. Overly excited to see what these studs have to offer.

Would of liked to see Randle El get more involved in the offense. We could use him but he was mainly used as a decoy.

Flozel Adams seemed sloppy and non-inspired. He seemed lazy and flat footed, almost getting Lefyt killed. Kemo whiffed on occasion too.

Got to work on not putting ourselves into 3rd and 17-19 situations.

Can't wait to see Ben next week. He looks trim, sharp, and in shape.

Overall team effort: B+.
Redman: A.
Offensive Line: D.
Bench players: B.
Defense: A.
Special Teams: B. Jeff Reed is still money kicking at Heinz. Would love to see Daniel S. get a chance of kickoffs soon. I'd like to see someone step up on returns and punts as well for once. Logan? Brown? Come on now.

diehardsteeler
08-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Hills did look good, finally...

Flozell & J Scott both looked real bad at RT. That's an area we'll have to watch closely...

pete74
08-15-2010, 02:20 PM
You pretty much have my list down pat as well, so I'm going to use your criteria and throw in some of my automatic thoughts that come to mind.

A. Brown: This guy reeks of confidence and has the wheels of a Jet-train (If a jet train existed.) His positioning of his hands on that Touchdown catch late in the 4th QRT was a thing of BEAUTY. Very rarely does wideouts use their hands like that and that was certainly a hard thrown (and perfectly placed) ball to catch.

Redman: Redman is becoming a preseason animal. There's got to be somewhere along the line to give him his deserved shot in the regular season only if he keeps it up. He is said to be our best blocking RB in camp and runs nowhere but UP FIELD. Remember what it took for Willie to start? Seems like a similiar situation with Redman. We just don't know what we have unless you give the guy a shot.

Gibson: Saw him get held off the corner a couple times and respond accordingly with speed and precision. He has a sound game. Nothing spectacular but in a good way. Young Backers are groomed for years to come, he'll be okay.

Pouncey: A work in progress of course, but the coaching staff must see something in him to give him the nod under center with some starters still in. Tough to get a read on him. Gotta watch him more but he had a couple nice driveblocks near the goalline.

S Justin Thorton: Great effort. Some nice hits on Special Teams and also had some nice breakdown tackles in the open field. Seems like a hard hitter. He stuck out on some plays that made me remember the name on the back of his jersey.

Keenan Lewis: Mighty impressive going up against the physical and BIG receiver in starter Calvin Johnson, winning BOTH battles in the endzone. Made a GREAT play for a jumpball to break up a pass. That TD was also an offensive pushoff but ohwell. Lewis played well.

Slyvester: Made little mistakes but he had a nose for the football and noticed him throwing his body around when his number was called to blitz. We have something there. Eager to see him next week as well.

Dwyer: Seemed timid, just as expected. I have a bad feeling though and dissapointed thus far although I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Any update on his shoulder?

Frank the tank: Terrible. He is a terrible blocker and whiffed on a one on one block. He had a nice catch out of the backfield on 3rd down but that's where it ends. I'm not impressed with Frank the Tank. I look for him to be cut if he doesn't step up in blocking and protection. Dude's also a slob.

I saw Timmons finally playing like a middle backer and trucking a running back other than getting pushed aside. I saw him rush the passer quite nicely and cause havoc on that INT for Clark.

Fumbles from our backs, esp Mendy needs to be addressed ASAP. Hopefully they are working RIGHT NOW on coming up with some kind of drill for our backs to carry the football tight.

Also, seeing the defense stiffin up and look pretty good against the run with A.Smith back in the lineup was a sigh of relief.

Mewelde Moore's block on Dixon's TD called back was a page out of Hines Wards book. Impressive to help out his young QB and spring him. That's Pittsburgh style right there. Made up for his fumble earlier on.

I liked the way the bench players played on defense as well. They seemed to ALL be around the football and tackle as a defense and swarmed whoever had the ball. Good stuff.

I really do think our rookie wideouts in Sanders and Brown are already special in their debuts. Overly excited to see what these studs have to offer.

Would of liked to see Randle El get more involved in the offense. We could use him but he was mainly used as a decoy.

Flozel Adams seemed sloppy and non-inspired. He seemed lazy and flat footed, almost getting Lefyt killed. Kemo whiffed on occasion too.

Got to work on not putting ourselves into 3rd and 17-19 situations.

Can't wait to see Ben next week. He looks trim, sharp, and in shape.

Overall team effort: B+.
Redman: A.
Offensive Line: D.
Bench players: B.
Defense: A.
Special Teams: B. Jeff Reed is still money kicking at Heinz. Would love to see Daniel S. get a chance of kickoffs soon. I'd like to see someone step up on returns and punts as well for once. Logan? Brown? Come on now.

great post and i agree with every word. as for kemo, i think he is our most overrated player. everyone was talking about pouncey taking essix's place but if he had to play guard i would rather see kemo sit. he has never been able to pass block and personally i dont think he ever will get it. if i were the coach i would try him at NT,

aas for redman, he did great and deserves the #2 spot

diehardsteeler
08-15-2010, 02:35 PM
great post and i agree with every word. as for kemo, i think he is our most overrated player. everyone was talking about pouncey taking essix's place but if he had to play guard i would rather see kemo sit. he has never been able to pass block and personally i dont think he ever will get it. if i were the coach i would try him at NT,

as for redman, he did great and deserves the #2 spot

Good point about Kemo as a NT... he started out well last year and got worse...we could use a better backup than HOKE. I wonder if Ziggy gets some NT play, since everyone so high on him in camp...

I thought we were weak in WR corps, but our line STILL needs work...maybe they're still adjusting to the changes...we can hope..

DS

StainlessStill
08-15-2010, 02:37 PM
as for kemo, i think he is our most overrated player. everyone was talking about pouncey taking essix's place but if he had to play guard i would rather see kemo sit. he has never been able to pass block and personally i dont think he ever will get it.

I guess you could state a case for the entire offensive line when it comes to pass protection. In my eyes, I think our line initially has the overall talent of being a line prepped for a power run game , but of course, Arian's offense doesn't focus on that and it initially hurts the credibility of our line (throw in injuries as well over the years.)

As for Kemo, I can see the argument for sure, but you can't deny his pull technique. I even cringe for the defender when I see #68 barreling around the edge and is just as good at it as Faneca was. I think Willie Colon was our best lineman and was underrated by league standards, hands down. He seemed to be the most consistent when push came to shove. We are going to miss him more than we think.

diehardsteeler
08-15-2010, 02:54 PM
As for Kemo, I can see the argument for sure, but you can't deny his pull technique. I even cringe for the defender when I see #68 barreling around the edge and is just as good at it as Faneca was. I think Willie Colon was our best lineman and was underrated by league standards, hands down. He seemed to be the most consistent when push came to shove. We are going to miss him more than we think.

Agree...he pulls really well, not sure he pancakes people like Faneca, but its impressive.

I think Colon was the most balanced lineman...and we will miss him alot. With Flozell and Max we need to worry about speed rushers....they both have poor footwork. It was more noticeable today without Willie in there.

DS

whatdoiknow
08-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Speaking of young players. When we went into the draft, I knew we needed a young bigger power RB. I wanted one of two guys. One was Dwyer. And it's too bad he had to come into camp overweight, and out of shape. Hopefully he can get it together and show something. The other RB I was really high on is playing right now, and that is Anthony Dixon. And looking at him, I really wish we could have chosen him. He looks to be running with power, agility, and has great use of his hands and the stiff-Arm. Anyone else watching the kid ? I know one single pre-season game does NOT mean it's a done deal for either player..either Dwyer's failure. Or Dixon's success. But Dixon really looks to take this game seriously. And looks as if he would have beat out Coffeee regardless, even if he wouldn't have retired. I really hope Dwyer gets up to Dixon's level. Cause another couple of weeks of non-activity due to nagging Injuries, or a lackluster effort in the next 2 pre-season games might just mean his release.

StainlessStill
08-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Now that we were talking a little bit on the OLINE, anyone see action from Urbik? Where the hell does he fit into the equation? Things seemed promising when we drafted him but it seems like he's falling down the depth chart. Didn't see him play much when he got in.

diehardsteeler
08-15-2010, 03:05 PM
I was really happy with the Dwyer pick..esp for the 6th rd, what a steal. I still feel good about him, he's just got a huge learning curve...

A year on the PS should help him out...

scsteeler
08-15-2010, 05:37 PM
I was really happy with the Dwyer pick..esp for the 6th rd, what a steal. I still feel good about him, he's just got a huge learning curve...

A year on the PS should help him out...

Yes Dwyer was a 6th round pick and if he does not pan out nothing lost and if he turns out to be a contributor then we get a steal at 6th round. Had he been picked in the first 3 rounds then that would have been a big mistake.

I like you feel he may turn out to be something good in the long run.