PDA

View Full Version : How did Pouncey do against the Lions?

Hypocycloid
08-15-2010, 01:19 PM
I don't live in PA anymore and the NFL doesn't think that making pre-season games available nationwide is important. I couldn't find an online radio broadcast either so I had to rely on the watching the game cast. It doesn't give much detail. So I was wondering if anyone could please update me if Pouncey started, where he started, if he played center at all, and how he looked. Did he go up against Suh?

Thanks

whatdoiknow
08-15-2010, 01:23 PM
On a scale of 1-10, Pouncey gets a 4. Didn't finish his blocks. And is NOT a road-grader. However he does have the making of a good single caller. And can recognize changing defenses. First game, no worries yet. As for Suh, I don't think he did. Suh did not play much from what I saw. And he didn't register a tackle at all.

lionslicer
08-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Not well at all... most of the starting O-line actually played very poorly, and will Byron as quarterback, you could see him get torn to pieces in a full game.

Hypocycloid
08-15-2010, 01:54 PM
I figure it will take some time for the offensive line to solidfy. Thanks for the info. Did he play at center or guard?

Corey_J
08-15-2010, 01:58 PM
he would initiate comtact and then not finish. Looked like butterflys got to him. He will be a solid player for years to come for sure. Just needs to get some PRO playing time !

diehardsteeler
08-15-2010, 02:28 PM
On a scale of 1-10, Pouncey gets a 4. Didn't finish his blocks. And is NOT a road-grader. However he does have the making of a good single caller. And can recognize changing defenses. First game, no worries yet. As for Suh, I don't think he did. Suh did not play much from what I saw. And he didn't register a tackle at all.

I'd give him a 6. Being a Gator fan, I've watched him for years...He's real good at line calls...I thought his run blocking was better expected. True, he didn't finish blocks well, but DD didn't stay in the pocket very much..Looked overwhelmed on some plays..

Also, I think he was the first rookie in the game against theDET #1's...that's impressive

DS

StainlessStill
08-15-2010, 03:19 PM
I'd give him a respective 6. Remember now, he isn't exactly coming into a prized situation. He's a rookie (major pressure taking in the first round) coming to a team with an offensive line in so-so shambles. He doesn't really have that veteran leadership to communicate with when playing guard, a position he rarely played.

He's got a newcommer in Flozell Adams and a career backup in Trai Essex learning from or atleast communicating from. They are all still learning in some way shape or form so I'll give him all the necc time he needs to transform into a great player. Him playing 2 positions already speaks volumes of his talent and kind of player he is so he could be on his way soon. Tough position to be in for a young man.

pete74
08-16-2010, 04:10 AM
Pouncey had a great day in the pass game. He was playing against a 4-3 where he has no one lined up in front of him. This meant that he had to read the defense and figure out which way he needed to go to help his other linemen out, and he did just that. This is the area where Hartwig struggles the most. Many of our sacks come off of missed calls by the center, but Kemo and Essex looked as if they had a better idea of positioning and reads when Pouncey entered the game. They had confidence in the calls he made, and they worked together to keep the quarterback on his feet. It was the best pocket of the day with the least amount of pressure. Pouncey made the calls and set the line which is huge for a rookie who is learning 2 positions.

The same goes for the run against the 4-3. Once again, there is no one lined up over Pouncey. He had to make the reads and chip a guy then get to the second level to make blocks. He was able to do that on most of the plays last night. He missed a block or two but none that killed a drive. When he got to the second level, Pouncey played with great balance and did not whiff on any blocks where the defender was already on the move.

My favorite part of what Pouncey did in the game was finish his blocks. Pouncey does not stop until the whistle. His motor was always going; it is almost like a Alan Faneca mentality to the play. Pouncey did not quit until his guy was on his back and then he went and found someone else to hit. He made more 2 man blocks today than I have seen out of our line since Faneca left.

On this run by Issac Redman, watch Pouncey follow Redman down the field and make a push to send him forward and then finish off another guy at the end of the play. This is nice to see.

All-in-all, it was a great day for Pouncey. He could be a beast in the NFL. Let’s get him on the field now and get him started on his way to a great career.
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/Pouncey_has_a_good_debut_for_Steelers/3055184

steeltheone
08-16-2010, 05:45 AM
I'd give him a 6. Being a Gator fan, I've watched him for years...He's real good at line calls...I thought his run blocking was better expected. True, he didn't finish blocks well, but DD didn't stay in the pocket very much..Looked overwhelmed on some plays..

Also, I think he was the first rookie in the game against theDET #1's...that's impressive

DS

How in the hell is being the first rookie in impressive? He is a number 1 pick. Certain things should be expected of him.

FourThreeMafia
08-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Here is a very good breakdown of Pouncey's first game.

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=9778

Sorry, but anyone giving him a 4 out of 10 was either watching the wrong player or have ridiculously high and probably unattainable standards.

He did make some mistakes, but he had a great first game. 8/10 at least.

whatdoiknow
08-16-2010, 05:04 PM

Sorry, but anyone giving him a 4 out of 10 was either watching the wrong player or have ridiculously high and probably unattainable standards.

Who knows maybe you're right. I saw Pouncey not finishing off run-blocks, and not open up holes on several Inside rushes. But I read today that Pouncey was Inserted into the first team practices at Center. So maybe the coaches saw better of him. Either that, or they just saw how terrible Hartwig looked :noidea:..who knows.

pete74
08-16-2010, 05:27 PM
i think pouncey did great for his 1st game and will definatly deserve to be our starting center come week 1 if he continues this way. he is already playing better then Hartwig and he has only been with the steelers for a few weeks

FourThreeMafia
08-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Who knows maybe you're right. I saw Pouncey not finishing off run-blocks, and not open up holes on several Inside rushes. But I read today that Pouncey was Inserted into the first team practices at Center. So maybe the coaches saw better of him. Either that, or they just saw how terrible Hartwig looked :noidea:..who knows.

You are more than entitled to your own opinion, but I saw him not only finishing blocks, but taking on others.

Pouncey whiffed on two blocks and got pushed back easily once, but it had more to do with technique, which will come with time.

What I see was a guy with a high motor that stood his own and moved very well, and was very smart, picking up free defenders as they came at him.

He does need work, but I was very impressed.

pete74
08-16-2010, 06:42 PM
There was one change during practice—first-round draft pick Maurkice Pouncey(notes) ran with the starters at center. The Steelers drafted him as a center, but planned to use him at right guard initially because it can be difficult for a rookie to deliver all the line blocking calls.

Apparently, that’s no longer a worry. If Pouncey starts at center, he would bump Justin Hartwig(notes), who is in the final year of his contract.

“We’ll nail down a job for him (Pouncey) at some point,” Tomlin said. “But to this juncture, he’s been very impressive with how he’s handled the responsibilities of playing both, and really playing both very well
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers-quarterbacks

StainlessStill
08-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Great news for Steelers fans and to the interior offensive line as well. It's looking like we are FINALLY grooming a backbone for our line. Looks like Pouncey is going to be starting afterall with strong efforts at both positions of C and G. There's a difference between WANT & NEED. Relief that he's come on quick, we NEED him.

cloppbeast
08-16-2010, 07:00 PM

I thought he did well, too. Better than his buddy Tebow, that's fo' sho'.

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Pouncey had a great day in the pass game. He was playing against a 4-3 where he has no one lined up in front of him. This meant that he had to read the defense and figure out which way he needed to go to help his other linemen out, and he did just that. This is the area where Hartwig struggles the most. Many of our sacks come off of missed calls by the center, but Kemo and Essex looked as if they had a better idea of positioning and reads when Pouncey entered the game. They had confidence in the calls he made, and they worked together to keep the quarterback on his feet. It was the best pocket of the day with the least amount of pressure. Pouncey made the calls and set the line which is huge for a rookie who is learning 2 positions.

The same goes for the run against the 4-3. Once again, there is no one lined up over Pouncey. He had to make the reads and chip a guy then get to the second level to make blocks. He was able to do that on most of the plays last night. He missed a block or two but none that killed a drive. When he got to the second level, Pouncey played with great balance and did not whiff on any blocks where the defender was already on the move.

My favorite part of what Pouncey did in the game was finish his blocks. Pouncey does not stop until the whistle. His motor was always going; it is almost like a Alan Faneca mentality to the play. Pouncey did not quit until his guy was on his back and then he went and found someone else to hit. He made more 2 man blocks today than I have seen out of our line since Faneca left.

On this run by Issac Redman, watch Pouncey follow Redman down the field and make a push to send him forward and then finish off another guy at the end of the play. This is nice to see.

All-in-all, it was a great day for Pouncey. He could be a beast in the NFL. Letís get him on the field now and get him started on his way to a great career.
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/Pouncey_has_a_good_debut_for_Steelers/3055184

That is SOOOOO good to hear, almost brought a tear to my eye (for real).