PDA

View Full Version : Three Back Set

Hirsch
08-15-2010, 09:23 PM
As I have stated before MOST of you have forgotten more about football than I will ever know! So my question is why dont anyone run a wishbone in the pros? Look at the wild cat offense who thought it would work in limited use. Is it because it limits you to run plays ? What would a defense do if we came out with a 3 back set? Just a question .

kirklandrules
08-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Is it because it limits you to run plays?

It begins to narrow your options to run plays. You are loading multiple people in the backfield and those people either come from WR or TE spots. Either you are showing one less good receiver or a TE that can block at the point of attack.

What would a defense do if we came out with a 3 back set?
The opposing defense would just stop us for a loss like they did all last year when we tried to run in obvious run scenarios. The Steelers going with a 3 back set is tough because they don't have a back that is a good lead blocker. So the 2 backs not getting the ball would add no value to the play ... it would be a case of 8 against 11 (2 worthless backs and one carrying the ball).

The wildcat only works well when one of the backs has the ability to throw. Most teams running the wildcat without a run/throw threat have failed. Also, Arians believes the wildcat has seen its days and refused to run it because he felt the Steelers defense fully understood how to play it ... and the game against Miami seemed to prove the point.

bblocker14
08-16-2010, 09:58 PM
If anything, we should take advantage of having 3 QB's on the field with Dixon, Ward and A.R.E.