PDA

View Full Version : USA Hockey

Stlrs4Life
02-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Why do we suck so bad in Hockey? These guys are embarassing. We didn't have any luck today vs Slovakia.

SteelerDan43
02-18-2006, 03:23 PM
The US hockey program in general mens and womens have just not played up to par at all... I think overconfidence has a little to do with it...

drizze99
02-18-2006, 03:23 PM
What are you talking about? They played a real solid game today. The bounces just didn't go our way. We did hit the post twice!

Stlrs4Life
02-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Yeah, the bounces didn't go are way. But that's no excuse, these guys they bring in fron the NHL, they play against each other, hardly any time together as a team. I think if we are going into each year to lose like we usually do, we might as well do it with a bunch of amateurs.

83-Steelers-43
02-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Slovakia are no push overs. Remember, these countries don't focus on football, baseball and basketball as much as we do. For some of these countries, hockey is it.

I didn't expect us to win gold this year. Just too many teams with talent.

Could have been worse, we could have lost to Switzerland today like Canada did and the Czech Republic yesterday.

Btw, Slovakia is currently 4-0.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-18-2006, 03:44 PM
I really don't like the fact that we let the NHLers play in the olympics.I think it should be amateurs playing,because those are the guys with a real love of the game.

SteelerDan43
02-18-2006, 03:47 PM
What are you talking about? They played a real solid game today. The bounces just didn't go our way. We did hit the post twice!

It goes beyond todays game, we tied Latvia for cryin out loud...

Petesburgh66
02-19-2006, 01:30 AM
This isn't a question of over confidence on the men's side. They were not a good team on paper and it's showing.

As for the Swiss team, a garbage team with a hot goalie. The guy that scored both Swiss goals against Canada was a Canadian born player. The traitor better stay in Europe.

As for the women's team, they had their sights on Canada early and it cost them. I was looking forward to the Canadian women beating the USA team. Oh well.

83-Steelers-43
02-19-2006, 09:59 AM
As for the Swiss team, a garbage team with a hot goalie. The guy that scored both Swiss goals against Canada was a Canadian born player. The traitor better stay in Europe.

I would agree with that logic If they only beat Canada and got lucky. They also beat the Czech Republic the day before. In my opinion they are playing smart, physical hockey and taking advantage of the scoring chances they have had. Having a hot goalie wins games. Last I recall you can't win games with a cold goalie.

Maybe nine times out of ten Canada beats Switzerland, but yesterday they did not and I have a hard time agreeing with the only reason they beat the Czech Repulic and Canada back to back was because of a hot goalie and one Canadian born player.

Petesburgh66
02-19-2006, 01:46 PM
And today the Swiss tie Germany. Go figure. Explain how they tied a team that has historically done jack in world hockey. Hot goaltending will only get you so far.

83-Steelers-43
02-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Like I stated, 9 times out of 10 Canada wins that game. Yesterday they did not. For the CR, 9 times out of 10 they win that game. The other day they did not.

Still doesn't take away the fact that the Swiss played good hockey. Just like Finland today against Canada. Eitherway, It was fun watching the upsets. Good hockey.

Also, Canada has been shut out in it's last two games (Swiss and Finland). Maybe, just maybe, it's Canada's inability to score goals? Maybe it has something to do with both the Swiss and Fin's playing solid and sound defense and having hot goaltending? Maybe it has something to do with the Fins and Swiss taking advantage of the opportunities given to them? Maybe it has to do with all of those reasons, hence team sport?

Suitanim
02-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Today the US palyed well...well enough to win, especially defensively, but they just can't seem to score....

Regardless, going in it was pretty widely acknowledged that the Bronze would be a great accomplishment for this team...

Stlrs4Life
02-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Let's make no excuses, we suck. Other amateur teams are having no problem scoring. Look at the Finns. I would rather lose like this with the amateurs. These NHL guys are embarrassing, and frankly, they probably don't even care about winning a medal, when they are already making thousands and millions!

Stlrs4Life
02-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Like I stated, 9 times out of 10 Canada wins that game. Yesterday they did not. For the CR, 9 times out of 10 they win that game. The other day they did not.

Still doesn't take away the fact that the Swiss played good hockey. Just like Finland today against Canada. Eitherway, It was fun watching the upsets. Good hockey.

Also, Canada has been shut out in it's last two games (Swiss and Finland). Maybe, just maybe, it's Canada's inability to score goals? Maybe it has something to do with both the Swiss and Fin's playing solid and sound defense and having hot goaltending? Maybe it has something to do with the Fins and Swiss taking advantage of the opportunities given to them? Maybe it has to do with all of those reasons, hence team sport?

Exactly. And the USA is getting none of the above, that's the sad part.

Petesburgh66
02-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Maybe it has something to do with both the Swiss and Fin's playing solid and sound defense and having hot goaltending? Maybe it has something to do with the Fins and Swiss taking advantage of the opportunities given to them? Maybe it has to do with all of those reasons, hence team sport?

Yup, it's called a trap. And Canada and the USA are having a hard time scoring goals as a result against these teams.

83-Steelers-43
02-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Yup, it's called a trap. And Canada and the USA are having a hard time scoring goals as a result against these teams.

So basically it does have to do with all of the above? Meaning........it's not just hot goaltending and one player?

83-Steelers-43
02-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Exactly. And the USA is getting none of the above, that's the sad part.

Then I guess neither is Canada at this point in time?

In my opinion, I don't think some are giving very much credit to the teams outside of North America. These are damn good hockey teams.

Petesburgh66
02-19-2006, 10:48 PM
I will give credit to Russia, Sweden, Finland, Slovakia and the Czechs. They have the talent to win. But most of these teams play a trapping system because they can. Most of these games are low scoring as a result and that is boring hockey. The last Olympics at Salt Lake were fun to watch. The Turino men's hockey games are, for the most part, have been boring to watch. I hope this changes in the medal rounds.

BlackNGold203
02-20-2006, 06:24 AM
Most of these games are low scoring as a result and that is boring hockey.

I watched the USA lose to Sweden 2-1....I gotta tell ya...that wasnt boring hockey. End to end...great goaltending...very exciting hockey...

I love olympic hockey..pros or not....bigger ice...more room...faster...more flow,,,

It may be time to admit that European hockey is at the same level or above North American hockey.

83-Steelers-43
02-20-2006, 06:50 AM
I watched the USA lose to Sweden 2-1....I gotta tell ya...that wasnt boring hockey. End to end...great goaltending...very exciting hockey...

I love olympic hockey..pros or not....bigger ice...more room...faster...more flow,,,

It may be time to admit that European hockey is at the same level or above North American hockey.

I agree. It's not as if we are watching the New Jersey Devil trap of old here. It's everything you want in a hockey game. It's fast, excellent transition and physical.

My only complaint are some of the rules. If a players helmet comes off, your not permitted to touch the puck. If the puck hits the goalie's mask, a whistle is blown. I can understand If the goalie mask comes off, but that's not the case. A rule that was installed in the NHL this year that I feel should be in international play, is if a player shoots the puck out of bounds in his own zone it's an automatic two minute penalty, no such thing in international. Only the goalie is not permitted to shoot the puck out of bounds.

Petesburgh66
02-20-2006, 10:22 AM

The skill level has been there, dating back to at least 1972. The Russians proved it to Canadians back then. The Swedes, Fins, Czechs have been good for at least 15-20 years. What has caught up recently is the level of goaltending. At least 7 teaqms can win the gold metal. Name me another sport besides soccer where you can have this any teams involved in winning a tournament? I am not an igorant Canadian when it comes to hockey. But I expect Canada to put their best on the ice for one common goal: to win. Everybody wants to beat the Canadians in hockey.

But don't tell me a bigger ice surface means a better game. I use to think it would. But after watching games from Sweden (during the NHL lockout) with some elite NHL players, the games were horrible. Too much stick work (i.e. hooking) and trapping systems. It was like the old NHL but without the hitting. Same in the Swiss and Finish elite leagues. So it doesn't mean all ways more room = faster flow. The only time this style of hockey works is when you have the best players involved. And the IIHF rules need to be updated to reflect that most of the players in tournaments are from the NHL.

Stlrs4Life
02-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Another embarassment again. 5-4 to the Ruskies. Until we get rid of the Pros and let the amateurs back in. It'll be more of the same. Goes for Canada also.

Suitanim
02-22-2006, 08:16 AM
Frustrating...we find our offense, but then the defense falls apart. Anyone know why they pulled DiPietro out of the nets? It's definitely a strange choice to take a super hot goalie and rest him just when he's playing at his best.

83-Steelers-43
02-22-2006, 09:00 AM
Frustrating...we find our offense, but then the defense falls apart. Anyone know why they pulled DiPietro out of the nets? It's definitely a strange choice to take a super hot goalie and rest him just when he's playing at his best.

Yesterday's game was meaningless and they wanted to rest him for the game today against Finland that actually means something. That's why Russia only kept Nabokov in for the first period.

If I blame anybody or any position on our loss yesterday, it's goaltending. I thought for the most part we played damn good against a tough Russian team. Hell, in my opinion I thought we have played good the whole tournament. It's not as if we are getting totally out played by these teams that are better than us on paper and should be on the ice. Latvia is the only game I thought we should have won, hands down. Now, we have a chance to win some type of medal. Not bad if you ask me.

Hopefully we will be able to see Malkin in a Penguin jersey soon, that kid is damn good.

Suitanim
02-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Didn't know they were resting him (I didn't get to see the game). I hope it doesn't knock him out of his zone...

83-Steelers-43
02-22-2006, 12:00 PM
4-3 Finland wins. Penalties killed us. Oh well.

Suitanim
02-22-2006, 03:22 PM
I did see the last 1/2 of this game...the US played aggressively but, yeah, the penalties were killers. The high sticking on Hatcher was bullshit, though...

drizze99
02-22-2006, 03:49 PM
I got to watch 3/4 of the second period today at lunch. It was definitely a good game, but it seemed to me that the refs were calling EVERYTHING.

83-Steelers-43
02-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Yeah, the officiating in the USA vs Russia game was very questionable. In the third period it was a joke in my opinion.

Side Note: Canada got beat by Russia 2-0 today. Canada is out and I'm sure our neighbors north of the border are feeling sick.

Suitanim
02-23-2006, 08:08 AM
It's one thing for the US to lose in Hockey, where the sport is a distant 5th in popularity, but I bet the suicide rate in the great white north jumps way up today...

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Talk about pouring more salt in an open wound for Canada....Finland defeats Russia 4-0 today.

Suitanim
02-24-2006, 04:33 PM
It's pretty clear Finland had the best team this year...nobody had an answer for their defensive style (I think the US played them about as tough as anyone did). I think the Swede's had a nice run but Finland is gonna take it to 'em.

83-Steelers-43
02-25-2006, 03:40 PM
CR wins bronze over Russia 3-0. So the team that beat Canada also goes home with nothing.

If Finland wins, at least we can say we got beat by the best by only one goal.....:hunch:

Suitanim
02-25-2006, 06:39 PM
The USA did about as expected...I think I'l start another thread about this...

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2006, 09:11 AM
Wow, Swedes win gold.

BlackNGold203
02-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Sweden was loaded....and that Lundqvist kid in goal??...forget about it.....

Europe is now developing top flight goaltenders...to go with their always potent offenses...North America has some serious catching up to do.

Thoroughly enjoyable hockey to watch...I loved this tournament

Petesburgh66
02-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Europe is now developing top flight goaltenders...to go with their always potent offenses...North America has some serious catching up to do.

Hmmm, the USA has some serious catching up to do. Canada could reload an send another team next week if they had to. The USA team is basically stuck with the same players.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Sweden was loaded....and that Lundqvist kid in goal??...forget about it.....

Thoroughly enjoyable hockey to watch...I loved this tournament

Not really, Canada just needs their poster boy Wayne to step down because it's obvious he can't run an NHL hockey team, let alone team Canada. Once that happens, maybe they won't get beat out by a team that didn't even win a medal in these olympics.

Since the USA doesn't put most of it's focus on hockey, it might take us a little longer. Oh well, sooner or later. :bouncy:

Came in second to the Germans? Not bad. I think we will do better during the Summer Olympics.

Petesburgh66
02-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Since the USA doesn't put most of it's focus on hockey, it might take us a little longer. Oh well, sooner or later. :bouncy:

The American junior team this past year at the world championship was very good and loaded with potential. But I doubt most of these players will be ready in 4 years. They will be like 22-24. Just a bit to young. But it depends if the NHLPA will want approve of it's players going to the Olympics after 2010.

Ryan Miller is the goalie of the future for your American team. Not that piece of crap Esche or the 1st round bust DiPietro.

83-Steelers-43
02-28-2006, 08:19 AM
What I meant was, the USA doesn't put most of it's focus on hockey compared to Canada, where hockey is life. I understand the talent we have in the junior's, that's why I said "sooner or later". The majority of kids in our country grow up with footballs, basketballs and baseball gloves in their hands, not skates and hockey sticks for a few reasons.

1) Hockey is damn expensive to play (I started when I was four on ice). It's not a cheap sport to play.

2) We don't have nearly as many ponds and rinks as you could find in Canada (although that is changing). With the exceptions of the New England states, Michigan, New York state and the Dakota's it's kind of hard for hockey to catch on. You won't see many players being spit out of California or Florida and many other states.

3) It's a Canadian sport. I'm sure baseball is not huge in Germany or France. Much like other countries, we tend to stick to our own sports. The media tends to prove that. How often does FSN or ESPN focus on soccer or hockey? That is also changing (not with the media though), but it takes time.

4) The marketing of the sport in this country is horrible. The NHL has been guilty of this for years. It's PR is horrible in my opinion. With the exception of Lemieux and Gretzky, your average American doesn't not know these players. The Sidney Crosby reebok commercials are the only hockey commercials I have seen in the states for years. Also, If your average American wants to watch a game on TV, he or she is going to tune into OLN of all channels? Once again, horrible marketing.