PDA

View Full Version : **The official 2006 Major League Baseball Thread**

RoethlisBURGHer
02-18-2006, 04:03 PM
I figured with the football season over and baseball season upon us (spring training has started and the WBC will be soon) that it would be a good idea to start an "official" MLB thread.

My favorite team is the Cleveland Indians.Please,don't jump on me for liking a Cleveland team and being a Steeler fan.I live in Cleveland and I never got into the Pirates because they aren't on TV enough here.So I latched on to my hometown team.

Suitanim
02-18-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm a fellow lifelong (and I mean LIFELONG, as in I followed them year after year after year when they played to empty houses in old Muni stadium and finished in the basement EVERY year) fan, and they will be an exciting club to watch this year. I think the pitching will drop off a bit but the offense will step it up...the keys are Marte coming in and upgrading 3B over (a very disappointing) Aaron Boone, Jason Michaels playing at close to Crisp's level, and, most importantly, Casey Blake playing professional baseball this year, instead of that bush bullshit he tried to pawn off on the Indians last year.

SteelCityMan786
02-18-2006, 09:38 PM
PIRATES, NATIONALS, AND ORIOLES! Don't get the Idea I am liking both Baltimore teams now(I still hate the Ratbirds and their shithouse they call a stadium). I only like the Orioles because of my Dad was an Orioles fan, and I like the Nationals Because I have a brother that goes to school in Washington. But Forever More My Heart And Mind Will Always Be Tops In PITTSBURGH PENNSYLVANIA WHEN IT COMES TO PRO SPORTS.

Petesburgh66
02-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Let go Blue Jays.

83-Steelers-43
02-20-2006, 07:13 AM
Go Bucco's! (even though I see another under .500 season). Strange, Stan had McClatchy on the other day, same old song and dance.

SISTINAS
02-20-2006, 06:15 PM
At least the Pirates are starting to show some promise. There is definetly some good young talent starting to develop. I like Jim Tracy, too. :sign01:

SteelerDan43
02-20-2006, 06:17 PM
For as much of a Steeler fan I am, Its like 1a. Steelers 1b. Pirates... Even started the Jolly Roger because I couldnt find a good Pirates message board!

83-Steelers-43
02-20-2006, 07:14 PM
At least the Pirates are starting to show some promise. There is definetly some good young talent starting to develop. I like Jim Tracy, too. :sign01:

Developing the talent hasn't been this teams problem. Keeping them once they get to that point is the problem.

SteelerDan43
02-20-2006, 07:27 PM
We would of broken .500 by now if we'ed held on to ramirez and schmidt

83-Steelers-43
02-20-2006, 07:32 PM
We would of broken .500 by now if we'ed held on to ramirez and schmidt

My point exactly. We breed talent and then dump talent. It's a never ending cycle. That is one reason why I have lost all respect for the game of baseball and Pirates management in general. Would love to join your site Dan, but all I have is negativity towards the team and the sport in general.

SteelerDan43
02-20-2006, 07:40 PM
I will agree that I absolutley hate the owners, they are in it for the money, not to win or for the love of the game. I wish they would sell to a guy like Mark Cuban. While a little out there, there is no doubt he puts his money where his mouth is and does his best to put out a winner. That being said I will always be optamistic about the Buccos, especially with the new coaching staff. Getting rid of Spin Williams is the biggest move of the off season in my opinion...

83-Steelers-43
02-20-2006, 07:49 PM
I will agree that I absolutley hate the owners, they are in it for the money, not to win or for the love of the game. I wish they would sell to a guy like Mark Cuban. While a little out there, there is no doubt he puts his money where his mouth is and does his best to put out a winner. That being said I will always be optamistic about the Buccos, especially with the new coaching staff. Getting rid of Spin Williams is the biggest move of the off season in my opinion...

Optimistic to what degree? Breaking .500? Making the playoffs? Winning a World Series? Keep in my mind I do respect your optimism and by no means am I insulting you. Just wondering.

If this league was actually managed correctly (every team has a shot), I would be optimistic and have hope. I used to enjoy watching baseball (football and hockey first), but the league is a complete joke at this point in time. It's sad. I used to love grabbing a dog and a beer while watching a ball game. Today it's not worth the price of admission. Call me a bandwagon fan, call me a horrible baseball fan........but when my team doesn't have a chance in hell to make a deep playoff run, let alone reach above .500, it's pointless.

Bottomline, baseball needs to change. I'm tired of hearing about Ramirez's sissy fits and If the Yankee's pitching can get it done. One thing I am grateful for in the last two years, I don't have to hear Red Sox fans cry and moan about a curse while having the second highest salary in baseball. As If the baseball world should have stopped and felt sorry for them. Give me a break. Chicago, New York and Boston fans claim to have the best fans in baseball? Hell, I would hope so, they make the damn playoffs year after year. I would hope people would show up in those specific ball parks!!!

I'll start being optimistic when this league gives us and other teams in our situation a fair shake. Until then, MLB won't get a cent out of my pocket. I'm just tired of it. That's all.

83-Steelers-43
02-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Also, I would love to have Cuban purchase the team. McClatchy won't sell until he sucks this team and city dry.

As for Tracy. I love his attitude. But the guy can only do so much with the players he has at his disposal. While I don't feel he will make the same idiotic and mind boggling decisions that Mac made while he was here, I still don't see a drastic change in this team. A few more wins maybe?

SteelerDan43
02-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Im optimistic that we have a chance to get to .500 this year. I agree that the baseball finacial landscape needs an overhaul... They made a move in the right direction with the luxury tax but when the CBA is up again they need to make a stand and not take a no to a salary cap. With this current stable of players in Bay, Duke, and Perez we have the tools and the young kids to be in the mid 80 to mid 90 win range within the next 5 years. Heck who knows maybey we sneak into a wildcard spot... We have the best park in the league, I've had the pleasure of going to quite a few games and its amazing. Nothing like a twi-night double header, with the sun going down looking at the city. Going to a game with the family is still affordable for the average joe which I am sad to say is more than can be said for football and hockey. Box seats for about 25 - 30 bucks is a deal. You can even get left field tickets for just over 10 bucks. People want to root for the Bucs, last year when we were 30-30 last year it was the hottest ticket in town... We are almost there, look at the Brewers from last year, they got to 81-81 and they are in the same situation. Going to games with my dad is one of those things I look forward too every summer and are some of my fondest memories as a kid. I still believe baseball is the great american past time. These are two of my favorite quotes,

Terence Mann: Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Baseball? It's just a game - as simple as a ball and a bat. Yet, as complex as the American spirit it symbolizes. It's a sport, business - and sometimes even religion. ~Ernie Harwell

83-Steelers-43
02-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Like I said, I wish I was optimistic as you and I respect that, I truly do.

Every year around this time the optimism for this team reaches new heights, only to end with the same old story (fifteen years and counting). McClatchy goes on Stan, gives his cheerleader speech and the end results are always the same.

I hope your right. But like I said.......baseball needs to change. I think Terence Mann would agree on that.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-23-2006, 04:23 PM
The league does need a major overhaul.

I however am a firm believer that the owners that are spending the money on the team aren't the ones really killing baseball,it's the ones that won't.The owners of teams like the Pirates,Reds,Royals,Brewers,Devil Rays,Marlins,and Rockies.They don't give a crap about winning and losing.Player gets good,trade him for some prospects.

MLB needs not just a salary cap to keep the likes of the Yankees and Red Sox in line,but a salary floor also to keep the teams I just listed in line.

Suitanim
02-23-2006, 06:35 PM
I still think the Indians have the blueprint for success...in the 90's they spent as much as anybody, but won (and should have won both World Series)...then they dismantled the team, but immediately started rebuilding in the same mold as the 90's teams. This year I expect them to spend some cash around trade time to get them over the hump, mixing young studs with proven talent to make a run.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-24-2006, 02:10 PM
I still think the Indians have the blueprint for success...in the 90's they spent as much as anybody, but won (and should have won both World Series)...then they dismantled the team, but immediately started rebuilding in the same mold as the 90's teams. This year I expect them to spend some cash around trade time to get them over the hump, mixing young studs with proven talent to make a run.

I think they will too.If Marte is tearing it up in Buffalo and Boone is having a decent season,I can definatly see us trading Boone for a "missing peice" (probally a pitcher) and brining Marte up to play the hot corner.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Hey,if any of you wanted to,I know of a baseball forum you all can join up at.

http://www.strike3forums.com which are brought to you by the makers of The NFL Forums (where I also post at).At Strike 3 I am Pronk48,and Suitanim,I am like the only Tribe fan that is there regularly,so I could definatly use some company,lol.

Suitanim
02-24-2006, 03:18 PM
I would not be entirely surprised if Marte makes the club, and gets some playing time, especially if Boone stumbles.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-28-2006, 06:53 PM
I would not be entirely surprised if Marte makes the club, and gets some playing time, especially if Boone stumbles.

Personally I want Marte to make a very good impression in ST but still play AAA ball so he can get work,otherwise sitting on the bench behind Boone for a little bit can make him stale.I wante Marte to be tearing it up and Boone to be playing really well to,so we can trade Boone for a "missing peice" and bring Marte up.

SteelerDan43
03-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Jose Guillen may miss up to three months now with a wrist injury that may need surgery... http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2352795

SuperMan313
03-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Let go Blue Jays.
A-men, Our rotation is just downright scary, I think we'll compete for the AL Wild Card.:jammin:

Suitanim
03-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Personally I want Marte to make a very good impression in ST but still play AAA ball so he can get work,otherwise sitting on the bench behind Boone for a little bit can make him stale.I wante Marte to be tearing it up and Boone to be playing really well to,so we can trade Boone for a "missing peice" and bring Marte up.

Apparently, Boone is completely healthy now and is expected to play up to previous form, so another year in Buffalo for Marte may be in the works.

You know, if Boone and Blake could have hit for shit last year, the Tribe probably would have taken the division, maybe even the whole damned thing. They lost a ton of games by one run, and I think several of those losses were to the White Sox. If the pitching holds up, I still think they are one power hitter away from the World Series.

SteelerDan43
03-06-2006, 01:05 PM
For you Cleveland guys, they are on ESPN vs the Mets right now

RoethlisBURGHer
03-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Apparently, Boone is completely healthy now and is expected to play up to previous form, so another year in Buffalo for Marte may be in the works.

You know, if Boone and Blake could have hit for shit last year, the Tribe probably would have taken the division, maybe even the whole damned thing. They lost a ton of games by one run, and I think several of those losses were to the White Sox. If the pitching holds up, I still think they are one power hitter away from the World Series.

Man,we may not even need the power hitter,just Boone or Blake stepping up and getting hits instead of grounding into DP's or flying out constantly.

And yes,most of the 1-run losses were to the damn hated White Sox.

Suitanim
03-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Does my dad ever hate Casey Blake. He stopped naming him by name about late-April last year, and now refers to him as "Rally-Killer".

RoethlisBURGHer
03-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Does my dad ever hate Casey Blake. He stopped naming him by name about late-April last year, and now refers to him as "Rally-Killer".

Blake is absolutley horrible.

From Jason Michael's webpage:
Right-fielder Casey Blake knows that some fans are upset that Crisp, his .300 average and infectious smile are gone. So Blake, the team's resident put-down artist, tries to prepare his new teammate for what may transpire in left field at Jacobs Field on opening day.When coach Joel Skinner sent a fly ball down the left-field line during workouts, Michaels battled the glaring sun, ran and ran, but couldn't quite make a shoestring catch in foul ground."Coco would've had it," Blake yelled out.Skinner then lined a ball to left-center. Michaels scrambled to stop it on one hop before making a strong throw to second base.It was exactly the play Skinner wanted to see, yet Blake needled: "Coco dives and gets that one. Where's Coco?"Michaels shrugged it all off."I've heard a lot worse," he said. "When you're playing hard, you shut things out and focus.

Blake needs to just shut the heck up.

Here are his stats from last year:

BA: .241
HR: 23
RBI: 58
Runs: 72
SB: 4

He definatly has room to improve.

And yes,everyone I know started calling him "Rally-Killer" around last May.

Suitanim
03-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Casey Blake is calling oher players out? Wasn't his rookie season when he was like 29 years old?

RoethlisBURGHer
03-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Casey Blake is calling oher players out? Wasn't his rookie season when he was like 29 years old?

Yes,he is and yes,I think he was 29.

Also,Blake is not the only "Rally Killer" with a B begining his last name on the Tribe.You've heard of the "Killer B's" right?No,not the ones on the 'Stros...but Blake,Broussard,and Boone!

Suitanim
03-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Boone and Brousard had legitimate excuses...that huge vacuum-like sound that was coming from the Tribe's RF last year was Casey Blake sucking open ass...

Suitanim
03-12-2006, 06:32 PM
More on the Marte/Boone situation (With bonus coverage of the Tribe's handling of their young stud's contracts)

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/14080514.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

View from Pluto: Indians' Marte hits way into picture
Third-base prospect might force Indians to move veteran out
By Terry Pluto

What if Andy Marte keeps hitting?

I know, Indians General Manager Mark Shapiro and manager Eric Wedge have said Marte is Class AAA Buffalo-bound, no matter what.

I ask again, what if he keeps hitting?

When the Indians made the Coco Crisp deal with the Boston Red Sox, they talked about how Marte was ``very close to being major-league ready.'' They traded Crisp for Marte, because they know Aaron Boone is not the long-term answer at third base.

They also feel some loyalty to Boone, who did them a contractual favor last season: He had an option for $4.5 million kick in for 2006 because he had 400 at-bats. Boone agreed to take $3.75 million, partly because he believed that his performance didn't meet his own expectations.

This might not sound like a big deal to most fans, but rarely does a player give back $750,000 to the team.

Boone did.

Wedge and Shapiro love his attitude. They respect how he handled his early season miseries in 2005, never offering any excuses, consistently facing the media and saying all the right things.

Wedge said he expects a strong comeback by Boone, who has been solid this spring. It's hard to know what to make of games in March. A year ago, Boone hit .350 with three homers and 16 RBI in 60 Florida at-bats.

He then went cold almost from the first pitch of the regular season. Consider the following:

• On June 3, he was batting .151. He then got hot with the weather, hitting .272 in June, .311 in July and .322 in August.

• After Sept. 1, he slumped to .220.

• Overall, he hit .243 with 19 doubles, 16 homers and 60 RBI. He rarely walked, only 35 times for a dismal .299 on-base percentage.

• Boone missed all of 2004 because of two knee surgeries. That probably explains his slow start and, perhaps, his slow finish. He played 143 games and just seemed worn out at the end.

• Boone supposedly can play other positions, but in his big-league career, he has played third in 821 games, with just 30 games at shortstop and 21 at second base.

• In his previous two active seasons (2002-2003), Boone hit .262 and averaged 25 homers, 91 RBI, 50 walks and 112 strikeouts in 161 games. Can he put up those numbers in 2006? No one is sure.

Why Marte is impressive

This brings us back to Marte, and the original question -- what if he keeps hitting?

I can tell you this much: If Boone were gone, the Indians would be gushing about this kid from the Dominican, who is just 22. He has been voted as the best defensive third baseman in his league in all four of his pro seasons.

Marte doesn't look like the second coming of Brooks Robinson or Buddy Bell at third, but he has good hands, a strong arm and seems comfortable. The Atlanta Braves tried him briefly as an outfielder, but it didn't work.

It makes no sense to have him switch positions. The same is true for Boone. They both are third basemen.

Marte went into the weekend hitting .500 (8-for-16) with a homer and four doubles so far in spring training. He's listed at 6-foot-1, 190 pounds but seems taller and heavier. He's a quiet, polite person with confidence. It would not be a surprise if he continued to play well.

Looking at Marte's numbers reveals the following:

• He batted .275 with 26 doubles, 20 homers and 74 RBI in 109 games at Richmond. He was third in the Class AAA International League with 64 walks, impressive in only 109 games. He had a .506 slugging percentage and a .372 on-base percentage.

• A right-handed hitter, he batted .305 vs. lefties, .265 vs. righties and .294 with runners in scoring position.

• Marte made three trips up to Atlanta and struggled, not surprising for a 21-year-old. He was 8-for-57 (.140). He had 35 at-bats in June, nine in July and 13 in September.

• The 2005 performance with the Braves means little. He was not given much time to establish himself. Remember how shaky Jhonny Peralta was last April? And Peralta had already played 85 major-league games before 2005.

• So what if Marte keeps hitting? He will force the Indians to do something. If it's not at the end of March, then soon. It's always possible a team will need a third baseman, and the Indians can trade Boone. But this much is certain: Marte looks much too talented to spend the entire year with Buffalo.

TALKIN' TRIBE

• Few fans seem to notice or care, but the Indians are doing a nice job signing key young players to long-term deals.

• Jhonny Peralta's deal: 2006 ($500,000); 2007 ($750,000); 2008 ($2.25 million); 2009 ($3.3 million); 2010 ($4.6 million); 2011 (club option for $7 million).

• Travis Hafner's deal: 2006 ($2.5 million); 2007 ($3.75 million); 2008 (club option for $4.75 million).

• Victor Martinez's deal: 2006 ($800,000); 2007 ($3 million); 2008 ($4.25 million); 2009 ($5.7 million); 2010 (club option for $7 million).

• C.C. Sabathia's deal: 2006 ($7 million); 2007 ($8.75 million); 2008 ($9 million).

• The point is the Indians will be able to keep their core group of Hafner, Martinez, Peralta, Sabathia, Cliff Lee and Grady Sizemore together through at least until the end of 2008. Sizemore and Lee are years away from free agency, and the Indians are talking about extensions with them.

• Some fans don't agree, but part of owner Larry Dolan's promise to spend money is being played out right here: Keeping their own guys. Martinez, Peralta, Sabathia and Hafner all gave up one year of free agency to sign new deals. This also shows the players believe in what the front office is doing

SteelerDan43
03-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Soriano backed down on his ridiculous stand to not play in the outfield...

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2379788)

TexaSteeler
03-30-2006, 12:19 PM
I like the baseball season because is sucks so bad it allows me to turn the television off and get something done.

Ohio Steeler
04-12-2006, 01:55 PM
I like the baseball season because is sucks so bad it allows me to turn the television off and get something done.

I love Baseball, I dont watch all the games but I do try to watch as many as I can. I just wish our Pirates where doing better.

mymaveric
04-21-2006, 08:55 AM
I'm a huge Twins fan. If our hitters can stay healthy and if our pitching is as good as past years hopefully we'll be right in the middle of things...

Suitanim
04-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Tribe Update:

With 5 pitchers on the DL, including staff ace CC Sabathia and the entire set-up portion of the bullpen, no wonder they've taken a tumble lately. The staff's ERA is a combined 2 full points higher in April '06 than it was in '05, but they manage to have the same record at this point (10-10) as they did last year, due to the hitting.

When they get some of these pitchers back and settled in, I think they are definitely going to compete for the Division.

83-Steelers-43
06-24-2006, 03:46 AM
Anybody else tired of his guy yet? While he was smart enough to win a World Series, I have a hard time coming up with anything else positive to say about this big mouth.

Guillen might 'start being nasty' with media
Associated Press
Posted: 2 hours ago

CHICAGO (AP) - Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen reacted angrily during Friday night's postgame news conference when asked about a report on ESPNdeportes.com that quoted him as saying he would not undergo the sensitivity training that commissioner Bud Selig ordered.

Guillen was fined Thursday and ordered by Selig to undergo training after an obscenity-laden tirade against Chicago Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti in which the manager used a derogatory term that describes someone's sexual orientation.

When asked about the report after the game, the manager responded with a lengthy diatribe in which he said he first needs to take English classes "to understand what they're talking about" and threatened to "start being nasty with the media" if they continued to ask questions about it.

"It's a really uncomfortable situation for me," Guillen said after the White Sox beat Houston 7-4. "I don't need this job. It's hard every day. ... If someone tries to play games, I'm sorry, but you've got the wrong guy."

Guillen got up and walked out of the interview room. A few minutes later, he said through a team spokesman he will undergo the training.

Guillen has said he did not mean to offend homosexuals and has apologized for using the word. But he stands by his criticism of Mariotti, who was not at U.S. Cellular Field when Guillen chastised him.

Mariotti had criticized Guillen's handling of pitcher Sean Tracey. The rookie could be seen distraught in the dugout last week in Texas after Guillen became angry when the White Sox didn't retaliate for catcher A.J. Pierzynski twice being hit with pitches. Tracey was sent to the minors.

Guillen was also angry with Mariotti for calling for the Cubs to fire manager Dusty Baker and replace him with TV broadcaster Bob Brenly.

Guillen was back in the dugout Friday after serving a one-game suspension, a punishment for reliever David Riske hitting St. Louis' Chris Duncan with a pitch Tuesday night after two White Sox were plunked. Riske is appealing a three-game suspension.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch, citing a Cardinals source, said the team became convinced during Wednesday's game that a camera in center field was tipping pitches to the White Sox - a notion that Guillen laughed off. The White Sox won the first two games 20-6 and 13-5, then managed just one hit but beat the Cardinals 1-0 on Jim Thome's home run Thursday.

Lyn
07-30-2006, 12:44 AM
Tigers won again!~

HometownGal
07-31-2006, 07:16 AM
Tigers won again!~

They have been on fire most of the season and are just one hell of a well balanced team. I believe the Tigers are quite capable of winning the Series this season. Jim Leyland is a great manager and I was so sorry that he didn't return to the Pirates organization this season. I've always loved Leyland and have watched Tigers' games when they are available here in the Burgh.

BlackNGold203
07-31-2006, 07:21 AM
They have been on fire most of the season and are just one hell of a well balanced team. I believe the Tigers are quite capable of winning the Series this season. Jim Leyland is a great manager and I was so sorry that he didn't return to the Pirates organization this season. I've always loved Leyland and have watched Tigers' games when they are available here in the Burgh.

yeah...the Tigers are a feel good story...a team I could actually root for....I'm pulling for them and Minnesota....