PDA

View Full Version : Hartwig may not even make the final roster

whatdoiknow
08-18-2010, 12:08 PM
According to Ed Bouchette at least. Link is below fans. Me, I hope they do cut Hartwig, and put his over 2 million in savings towards a new signing bonus on a new deal for Woodley...but hey, that's just me.

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/9421/Justin-Hartwig-might-be-on-the-Steeler-s-roster-bubble/Default.aspx

stb_steeler
08-18-2010, 01:34 PM
I hear Bouchette's info isnt always up to par!

truesteelerfan
08-18-2010, 01:47 PM
It would definately surprise me if we released him- the salary savings would be nice so we can spend it elsewhere, but it would be unusual for us to start a rookie on our OL.

whatdoiknow
08-18-2010, 01:55 PM
If it is clear that Pouncey can start at Center for us, then yeah, I would rather release Hartwig, spend the money re-signing Woodley, and then maybe sign another Center to be a back-up to Pouncey. I read yesterday where Cincy released Center Jonathan Luigs. I don't know if you guys remember him but he was a Center alot of Pittsburgh papers were saying the Steelers might look at in the 2009 Draft IF they didn't take the top Center Mack, who as it turned out was taken before we selected in 2009. Luigs was a pretty good Center at Arkansas as I remember. He might be worth bringing in and taking a look at.

steeltheone
08-18-2010, 03:39 PM
According to Ed Bouchette at least. Link is below fans. Me, I hope they do cut Hartwig, and put his over 2 million in savings towards a new signing bonus on a new deal for Woodley...but hey, that's just me.

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/9421/Justin-Hartwig-might-be-on-the-Steeler-s-roster-bubble/Default.aspx

2 mill is really cheap for a vet center....Woodley will be gone unless we tag him. I believe he is out to break the bank.:tt:

Fire Arians
08-18-2010, 05:00 PM
2 mill is really cheap for a vet center....Woodley will be gone unless we tag him. I believe he is out to break the bank.:tt:

woodley is going to get tagged no doubt. he's the future of our lb corps and hell, he's not even in his prime yet. we need to keep the guy. he's got potential to be better than harrison has ever been

whatdoiknow
08-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Woodley won't, and can't get anymore than what Dumervil did. And in reality, that deal, although a pretty high one was not as high as some think. Only way Woodley can possibly ask for more will be if he truly has a great season this year..( 25 + sacks, and 5-7 Interceptions and 4 TD returns ),,,then maybe he can get more then Elvis. But he will be re-signed. And in reality, I would take former steeler " Jamaine Stephenson " over Hartwig right now....how bad is that :-)

pete74
08-18-2010, 07:36 PM

unless that center is hartwig and not worth a penny more

steelerchad
08-18-2010, 10:04 PM

Woodley won't be gone. It will be Harrison if anybody is gone. James is 32 I believe and has 3 or 4 years left on a huge contract. He'll be cut after this season to pay Woodley and one of the rookies we drafted this year (Worilds or Gibson) will take the other side.

truesteelerfan
08-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Hartwig certainly isn't my favorite player- but he's not the worst center we've had recently--remember a certain center we signed, then returned to the Bucs? Mahan made Hartwig look like a stud

whatdoiknow
08-19-2010, 12:12 AM
I don't think Sean Mahan played Center for Tampa, he was a natural Guard. We acquired him out of Necessity cause a even WORSE Center for us the few years before left,,and that was Chukky Okobi....YUK!!

FourThreeMafia
08-19-2010, 12:38 AM
Woodley won't, and can't get anymore than what Dumervil did. And in reality, that deal, although a pretty high one was not as high as some think. Only way Woodley can possibly ask for more will be if he truly has a great season this year..( 25 + sacks, and 5-7 Interceptions and 4 TD returns ),,,then maybe he can get more then Elvis. But he will be re-signed. And in reality, I would take former steeler " Jamaine Stephenson " over Hartwig right now....how bad is that :-)

Woodley has had two great years, and had a better year than Doom last year. Stop looking at just sack numbers. Woodley was great against the run while Doom was horrible, and pretty much every Bronco fan will admit that Doom is a one dimensional pass rusher who is much better suited for the 43 DE.

Maybe Woodley wont get that much from us, but you are flat out wrong if you think he cant and wont get it somewhere.

pete74
08-19-2010, 05:30 AM
Woodley won't be gone. It will be Harrison if anybody is gone. James is 32 I believe and has 3 or 4 years left on a huge contract. He'll be cut after this season to pay Woodley and one of the rookies we drafted this year (Worilds or Gibson) will take the other side.

agreed. woodley will be given a huge contract or if all else fails they will tag him and continue to negotiate like they did with hampton.

if one of our rookies step up and plays really well i belive this will be harrison's final season with the steelers, if not he will play one more after this

DanRooney
08-19-2010, 06:50 AM
lmao.

Yeah guys, we're going to cut Harrison next year to pay for Woodley and one of the rookies in their rookie contract :chuckle: Please. Harrison is still the best pure tackler and all around LBer on our team.

pete74
08-19-2010, 05:21 PM
we did it with many, many, many other players over 30 who nobody thought we would cut. im sure i dont have to name them all and if you follow the steelers you know they dont like to dish out 10+ mil a year on players over 30

truesteelerfan
08-19-2010, 11:13 PM
I don't think we'll cut Harrison unless his productivity drops off significantly. His stats last year weren't like the previous year, but we all know he was the most often held player in the league. If we cut a vet to help pay for woodley, I would predict someone like Farrior, we already saw his lost step last year, and while he is our leader, if he can't physically keep up w/rb and te, we may need to get someone younger/cheaper there.

DanRooney
08-19-2010, 11:47 PM
we did it with many, many, many other players over 30 who nobody thought we would cut. im sure i dont have to name them all and if you follow the steelers you know they dont like to dish out 10+ mil a year on players over 30

Harrison is safe. He's not on a down year and is still the most productive linebacker on the team. He's a top 3 OLB in the league still. He will be our starter for the next 2 years at least.

MasterOfPuppets
08-20-2010, 02:27 AM

hartwig got a 2 + mill signing bonus with his contract extension which i'm sure was spread out over the 4 yr deal. if they cut him they have to pay him the remainder of the bonus, so they won't be saving 2 mill....maybe a couple hundred thou.

Below are the new contract numbers for center Justin Hartwig who was signed to a three year contract extension earlier in the week. The base yearly numbers are correct and the signing bonus numbers are from estimations according to published reports. Based on the numbers below, the 2009 cap charge for Hartwig will be in the neighborhood of $2,225,000.00 or so. There are seems to be a few roster bonuses included as well that are unreported.

Justin Hartwig
2009 1600000.00
2010 2080000.00
2011 2170000.00
2012 2000000.00
Signing Bonus 2100000.00
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2009/09/justin-hartwig-contract-numbers/

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-21-2010, 05:37 PM
hartwig got a 2 + mill signing bonus with his contract extension which i'm sure was spread out over the 4 yr deal. if they cut him they have to pay him the remainder of the bonus, so they won't be saving 2 mill....maybe a couple hundred thou.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2009/09/justin-hartwig-contract-numbers/

Even before knowing this, I don't think cutting Hartwig would be the best idea. He is a proven veteran who can play C or G. It seems foolish to place all our eggs in one basket and depend on a rookie C and hope he doesn't get hurt or anything.

I don't think we should cut Hartwig-- I just don't want him as the starter.

Downbylaw
08-23-2010, 03:23 AM
I think they will let Woodley go, replace him at olb with Timmons and plug Foote back in at MLB. I hope I'm wrong

Downbylaw
08-23-2010, 03:25 AM
Even before knowing this, I don't think cutting Hartwig would be the best idea. He is a proven veteran who can play C or G. It seems foolish to place all our eggs in one basket and depend on a rookie C and hope he doesn't get hurt or anything.

I don't think we should cut Hartwig-- I just don't want him as the starter.

I agree with this post. Depth is very important in the NFL.

Tone's Toes
08-23-2010, 05:51 AM
When has Hartwig proven he can play guard? He's only played there once and it was years ago. I think the fact that he hasn't played much guard works against him here. Backup lineman have to be versatile and Hartwig hasn't proven he is. I could definitely see them valuing a versatile backup like Legursky more or maybe they want to give Urbik another year with that roster spot. Just depends whether Rooney wants to eat that contract they gave Hartwig.

Downbylaw
08-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Legursky and Urbik will not crack the lineup. I have heard Steeler fans rooting for this guys for 2 years now. They are undersized and slow. Imagine them on the line with some of the better Dlineman. NO CONTEST

Downbylaw
08-23-2010, 06:57 AM
Especially the Ravens front

Tone's Toes
08-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Urbik is 6'5 325 pounds. How the hell is that undersized? He was awful last year in camp and preseason, but by all accounts is doing much better this time around. He was also their 2nd pick last year. Do they really want to give up on him this soon? I guess they could, but if they cut Hartwig to give Urbik another year before giving up on him completely, I wouldn't be totally shocked.

I'm not crazy about Legursky either and he is undersized. However, he is very versatile. He can play guard or center in a pinch and even some fullback. He can do more things than Hartwig in a backup role, even if he is undersized as a center.

Downbylaw
08-23-2010, 09:00 AM
I stand by my statement that they will not crack the lineup. He was their 2nd pick because we traded out of the 2nd round. Out of the 3 3rd rounders (Wallace, Kenan Lewis and Urbik) who has produced the least?

steelerchad
08-23-2010, 09:25 AM
lmao.

Yeah guys, we're going to cut Harrison next year to pay for Woodley and one of the rookies in their rookie contract :chuckle: Please. Harrison is still the best pure tackler and all around LBer on our team.

I hope you're right, but history says you're wrong.
I'm pretty sure Joey Porter was our best LB when we cut him, not to mention the vocal leader of the D. Nobody... and I mean nobody thought Harrison could step in and fill his shoes at the time we released Joey, but he did.
I'm also pretty sure Kirkland, Gildon, Lloyd played pretty well for us right up until the day they were released.

James may last another year after this, but no way he plays out his entire contract. I have a hunch he's gone after this season unless he has a year like 08.

Tone's Toes
08-23-2010, 09:41 AM
I stand by my statement that they will not crack the lineup. He was their 2nd pick because we traded out of the 2nd round. Out of the 3 3rd rounders (Wallace, Kenan Lewis and Urbik) who has produced the least?

Wallace has easily produced the most.

Lewis hasn't produced anything yet either though. He had a terrible rookie year just like Urbik and is having a better camp and preseason this year just like Urbik. Both are, at best, backups this season.

I don't totally disagree with you. Lewis is a lock for the team while Urbik might not make it, but it's still very early to be giving up on a relatively high draft pick. I do think Urbik has made some strides and still has some potential. It just takes time for some guys. He has the size and power to be an effective center or RG eventually.

Steel_Bus_24
08-23-2010, 02:07 PM
I want Pouncey Starting against Denver and for the rest of the season ....By all accounts we need to have our Oline decided on and letting them play together for an extended period of time.

Im going to be so pissed if Hartwig starts this year

Downbylaw
08-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Wallace has easily produced the most.

Lewis hasn't produced anything yet either though. He had a terrible rookie year just like Urbik and is having a better camp and preseason this year just like Urbik. Both are, at best, backups this season.

I don't totally disagree with you. Lewis is a lock for the team while Urbik might not make it, but it's still very early to be giving up on a relatively high draft pick. I do think Urbik has made some strides and still has some potential. It just takes time for some guys. He has the size and power to be an effective center or RG eventually.

Terrible rookie year (Lewis) he had the misfortune of getting hurt so was on IR. Not his fault. However, he is challenging for the starting job this year. He will certainly be in the Dime package with Gay. Urbik has shown nothing. I'm not giving up on him, I'm just predicting he wont crack the starting lineup, doesnt mean he cant be serviceable on special teams.