PDA

View Full Version : Phenomenal stat on Hines Ward

joeyssteelcurtain
08-19-2010, 11:48 AM
I didn't realize this, but I heard on Mike & Mike this morning that Hines has led the Steelers in receiving 11 years in a row. 11 YEARS IN A ROW! That is absolutely remarkable. I don't have time to research it now but has any other receiver in history ever done that? Jerry Rice? Anybody? I know Swanny and Stalls never did and they are in the HOF. Hines has also led the team in bone shattering downfield blocks about every year he's played. Just ask Keith Rivers, Ed Reed, etc..

If this guy isn't a lock for the HOF when his playing days are over, they should close the doors to the building and sell Canton to the Chinese. He may not be one of the top 5 pure receivers of all time, but IMHO he is definitely one of the top 5 FOOTBALL PLAYERS of all time.

Griff
08-19-2010, 01:21 PM
We'll have to dig up the numbers, but it sounds right. He is all that and a bag of chips. HOF lock. :tt04:

Fire Arians
08-19-2010, 01:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbLNFiQSTyE

lvent
08-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Great stat indeed. For Jerry Rice he lead the 49ers for 11 years...Warren Sapp(I believe) killed his knee in the beginning of 97.

As for Swann, Im sorry for as much as I love the Steelers he is not a NFL hall of fame caliber player. Steeler hall of fame ? Yes. If they had a Superbowl HOF yes.

Ward's statistics coupled with 2 SB's and a SB MVP merits him as a first ballot hall of fame player in my opinion. However given the unreal trouble that Art Monk(arguably the best wr ever when he retired*) had and now Chris Carter I do worry that it wont be the 1st or 2nd ballot for him which would be utter bs

whatdoiknow
08-19-2010, 01:48 PM
That is true,,on total yearly catches,,,not total receiving Yards. However as great as Ward is, that stat is not as much crediting Ward, as it should be demeanning our other WR's that Ward had to play with, especially early in his career. And of course those dreaded " Complainers " of Hines Ward will say the only reason Ward led in Catches for 11 years is because other teams defenses were CONSTANTLY double-teaming, and TRIPLE-teaming the likes of Santonio Holmes, Plexico Burress, ect, ect, ect! Which we ALL kn ow is complete BS.

Every year they keep saying Ward is done, and that he will be a shell of hios former " Tough, Physical " self
And each season Ward just goes over the middle, catches everything, and puts at least TWO Defensive players from other teams laid out on the turf!

You GO Hines!!!

steelerchad
08-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Great stat indeed. For Jerry Rice he lead the 49ers for 11 years...Warren Sapp(I believe) killed his knee in the beginning of 97.

As for Swann, Im sorry for as much as I love the Steelers he is not a NFL hall of fame caliber player. Steeler hall of fame ? Yes. If they had a Superbowl HOF yes.

Ward's statistics coupled with 2 SB's and a SB MVP merits him as a first ballot hall of fame player in my opinion. However given the unreal trouble that Art Monk(arguably the best wr ever when he retired*) had and now Chris Carter I do worry that it wont be the 1st or 2nd ballot for him which would be utter bs

I think some of Swann's unforgettable plays in big games (SuperBowls) got him over the top. I think if Ward made that catch in the endzone in the SB instead of Holmes it may swing some votes to him. As it stands right now, I think he falls a little short of the HOF. I think he deserves it, but I doubt the voters take into consideration his toughness and downfield blocking (leveling) of defenders, which most in the media think are cheap shots.

lvent
08-19-2010, 02:06 PM
That is true,,on total yearly catches,,,not total receiving Yards. However as great as Ward is, that stat is not as much crediting Ward, as it should be demeanning our other WR's that Ward had to play with, especially early in his career. And of course those dreaded " Complainers " of Hines Ward will say the only reason Ward led in Catches for 11 years is because other teams defenses were CONSTANTLY double-teaming, and TRIPLE-teaming the likes of Santonio Holmes, Plexico Burress, ect, ect, ect! Which we ALL kn ow is complete BS.

Every year they keep saying Ward is done, and that he will be a shell of hios former " Tough, Physical " self
And each season Ward just goes over the middle, catches everything, and puts at least TWO Defensive players from other teams laid out on the turf!

You GO Hines!!!

I use http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_career.htm this as a great site for statistical references.

Now assuming Hines goes 70-80 catches 1000 yards this season it would put him 9th overall on the career reception list(Torry Holt is IRed). And with 1k yards he could possibly be in the top 20 of yardage.

I really do think his numbers will benefit him for when he goes up for voting.

lvent
08-19-2010, 02:16 PM
I think some of Swann's unforgettable plays in big games (SuperBowls) got him over the top. I think if Ward made that catch in the endzone in the SB instead of Holmes it may swing some votes to him. As it stands right now, I think he falls a little short of the HOF. I think he deserves it, but I doubt the voters take into consideration his toughness and downfield blocking (leveling) of defenders, which most in the media think are cheap shots.

Oh without a doubt the SB catches put him in, but the point is for me at least is his body of work does not justify being in there. It does irk me that better overall players cant get in. Dawson comes to mind. He was a rock at center. Dick(8th career ints) and Monk(every major wr record pre jerry rice) looked like they were never getting in and you look at who is in there and you see Swann's stats.. He isnt even in the top 300 in catches!

DanRooney
08-19-2010, 03:15 PM
He's led in receiving yards from 2002-2008. That's 7 years

Holmes was our leading receiver last year (2009)
In 2001, Plaxico had 1,008 yards to Ward's 1,003.

StainlessStill
08-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Hines Ward is a modeled Steeler through and through. I love the fact that yesterday, when dropping a TD pass, he instantly dropped and did 10 pushups. He wears the "WARD" tape on his helmet as if saying name means squat and he has to make the team every year. They don't make players like Hines Ward anymore. It's a privilege to call him one of our own here in Pittsburgh!

Merchant
08-19-2010, 06:57 PM
He's led in receiving yards from 2002-2008. That's 7 years

Holmes was our leading receiver last year (2009)
In 2001, Plaxico had 1,008 yards to Ward's 1,003.

I think he meant in Catches, not receiving yards.

Hobbes
08-21-2010, 12:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbLNFiQSTyE

I could watch these all day! :drink:

cloppbeast
08-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Is Art Monk in the HOF yet? If he hasn't made it, Hines might have a hard time, after all Monk has better stats. I understand numbers aren't everything, so I'm inclined to believe Hines has a better shot, but I think he's far from a lock. As a Steelers fan, he's a lock in my book but then again, so is Dermitti Dawson.

SteelManiac55
08-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Is Art Monk in the HOF yet? If he hasn't made it, Hines might have a hard time, after all Monk has better stats. I understand numbers aren't everything, so I'm inclined to believe Hines has a better shot, but I think he's far from a lock. As a Steelers fan, he's a lock in my book but then again, so is Dermitti Dawson.

Monk is in the HOF.

Need4spd
08-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Hines Ward is a modeled Steeler through and through. I love the fact that yesterday, when dropping a TD pass, he instantly dropped and did 10 pushups. He wears the "WARD" tape on his helmet as if saying name means squat and he has to make the team every year. They don't make players like Hines Ward anymore. It's a privilege to call him one of our own here in Pittsburgh!

I could not possibly agree more with this statement. Very, VERY well said. As far as the Hall of Fame is concerned, he will be a virtual lock when it's all said and done. When you take into consideration his total body of work, Super Bowl rings and all, he's going to get in. He may not get in on the first ballot necessarily, but he will ultimately wind up there. He still has another couple hundred catches, a few more thousand yards, and another 15-20 touchdowns in him for all the statistical honks out there. When you're top 10 in catches, and top 20 in yards all-time as someone mentioned above, with two Super Bowl rings, including a Super Bowl MVP on your resume... You might as well start preparing your induction speech.

I love me some Hines! Very proud to call him a Steeler!

lionslicer
08-22-2010, 09:24 PM
This is only true for receptions. He only led the team in recieving yards 5 years in a row. But he has led the team in receptions for 11 years.
Fun Fact - Ward has better recieving stats under Stewart and Maddox than Ben.

stb_steeler
08-22-2010, 09:39 PM
This is only true for receptions. He only led the team in recieving yards 5 years in a row. But he has led the team in receptions for 11 years.
Fun Fact - Ward has better recieving stats under Stewart and Maddox than Ben.

True, but that was when Hines was an all out WR, you know when he was younger. Now he's more of a cross the middle guy, first downer!. Not to mention a bit older.

Polly
08-24-2010, 10:07 PM
I heard hines hands out jaw breakers on Halloween