PDA

View Full Version : Good Tommy Maddox article

BlackNGold203
02-19-2006, 07:52 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06050/657671.stm

Everyone LOVES to trash Tommy Maddox....

Read this Ed Bouchette article..and remember....before you react. Its really easy
to trash him now...but the same people trashing him now were in love with him 2 years ago...

I have little respect for bandwagon jumpers and short sighted "fans"...Tommy was a great story...and a good QB...I wish him nothing but success in the future.....

Atlanta Dan
02-19-2006, 08:25 AM
That was a very nice article, but it was like listening to a eulogy at a funeral.

While one should speak nothing but good about the dead (in this case professionally speaking only of course), Ed.B. of the P-G has written in the past that Maddox was fairly hostile to Ben after he lost the starter's job while providing no "mentoring." Ed.B. also provided anonymous quotes from the coaches after the Ravens loss that the Steelers could have passed at will in that game but that Maddox was unable to make the throws. Either those prior stories were false or today's statements about Maddox the mentor and nobody blaming Maddox for the Ravens loss are false.

Since the P-G no longer archives anything in Black & Gold Insider for more than 2 months I cannot access those prior stories.

I would not expect a rip job in a farewell piece on Maddox but, while I am no Maddox fan, I can see how athletes get tired of being ripped for their performances and then have the same writer pretend he or she has never written the rips.

Please also note the excuses (pulled calf muscle, no reps in pre-season, splitting practice reps the week before the Jax game, although no reference this time to the "arm injury" Maddox blamed after the Jax game) for the Jax debacle. If he was not ready to go he should have told Cowher.

Good luck to Maddox in his life's work and good riddance. I do not say this based soley upon performance but upon Maddox's blame shifting for his screw-ups, including but not limited to failing to repudiate his agent after his agent made up stories about Maddox's kids being hassled after the Jax loss.

83-Steelers-43
02-19-2006, 08:37 AM
The reason why I don't like the guy is not because of his play, but because of the way he handled himself after the games. You should not blame the fans, you should blame Tommy for opening his mouth and making stupid statements. I'm not going to dislike a player because he didn't play well. I will say he "stinks", but I would not personally state I dislike the guy. How he handle's himself off the field defines how I truly feel about a player.

We all understand what Tommy did a few years back. But it's a "what have you done for me lately league". Like it or not, that's just the way it is. For a few million a year, I'd be more than happy.

Nobody likes excuse making. Nobody likes when people make up stories in order for others to feel sorry for them. Nobody likes when a player throws his teammates under the bus (his o-line nonetheless). I wish the guy the best, but good riddance.

4xSBChamps
02-19-2006, 09:05 AM

Read this Ed Bouchette article..and remember....before you react. Its really easy
to trash him now...but the same people trashing him now were in love with him 2 years ago...
I have little respect for bandwagon jumpers and short sighted "fans"...Tommy was a great story...and a good QB...I wish him nothing but success in the future.....
..... correct-o-mundo.....

Stlrs4Life
02-19-2006, 09:34 AM

Same here. As a matter of fact, after the loss to Jacksonville in the lots everybody was trashing him. I said look, the guy blew chunks today, but look what he has done for us in the past. I wish him luck.

Prosdo
02-19-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm with 83-Steelers. I don't like Tommy because of the way he has handled himself lately.

melroseplace
02-19-2006, 11:14 AM
I've been a big fan of Tommy Gun until this season. he didn't play well, which upset me but didn't make me dislike him...everyone has bad days. but when I heard some of the comments he made after the game, I got a little tiffed..

clevestinks
02-19-2006, 11:26 AM

I disaree with you on a couple things. First he was an alright QB. We thought he was good because he replaced Kordell. Most of us just wanted a replacement. Tommy was a good replacement, but an average QB.

Short sighted? Not sure about this either, "What have you done for me lateley" is more like it.

Now that we finally know, after years and years, what a good QB is, Big Ben, Tommy is done. He was an alright fill in, nothing more. Kordell was terrible, so it didn`t take much. Batch is better.

Tommy odes seem like a great guy, and I also wish him the best, as far as trash talking goes, he earned the respect he had, then HE lost the respect he had. He is a grown man, and a NFL football player, he can take it!

BlackNGold203
02-19-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm glad I could get some different reactions, and everyone has made good points for sure.

I feel the need to clarify..there are so many "fans" that just blast this guy. For those who have responded, you back your reactions up with good points..I thank you for that. Tommy has his problems for sure. I guess I just get miffed at folks that blast this guy when these people became fans AFTER Ben took over.

Cleve..great point...St. Pierre would have looked better than Kordell at that point...LOL

LOL..I'm too sentimental..I'll never forget how he rallied the team in the playoff comeback against the Browns...and how the community responded when he was paralyzed in Tennessee...

ohio's #1 steelers chick
02-19-2006, 11:43 AM
well i am not opposed to maddox's play, but, as several others have also stated, the way he handles himself during the post game time. if he would just accept that he made a mistake in how he played or even kept his story straight he'd be more believable than changing his story all the time. all-in-all good luck and good bye tommy maddox!

clevestinks
02-19-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm glad I could get some different reactions, and everyone has made good points for sure.

I feel the need to clarify..there are so many "fans" that just blast this guy. For those who have responded, you back your reactions up with good points..I thank you for that. Tommy has his problems for sure. I guess I just get miffed at folks that blast this guy when these people became fans AFTER Ben took over.

Cleve..great point...St. Pierre would have looked better than Kordell at that point...LOL

LOL..I'm too sentimental..I'll never forget how he rallied the team in the playoff comeback against the Browns...and how the community responded when he was paralyzed in Tennessee...
Your right, and if it were one of our trainers that were paralyzed in Tenn. thee entire fan base would have responded the same way for them too. The Pittsburgh Steelers have one of the most faithful fan bases in any proffesional sport.

My biggest problem right now with Tommy is, his big contract and he poor play. As a fan we cannot afford $$$$, to keep him around. I wish he were worth the money. And there is no doubt that he has helped bring along Ben.

We may need to keep Batch, and bring back St.P

Rep points for your great takes

83-Steelers-43
02-19-2006, 12:04 PM
We may need to keep Batch, and bring back St.P

St. Pierre stated earlier in the season that he did not want to come back to Pittsburgh. We can either A) Draft a QB or B) Use Rutherford as our third string.

Here is the article with St. Pierre.........

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05320/607055.stm

clevestinks
02-19-2006, 12:06 PM
St. Pierre stated earlier in the season that he did not want to come back to Pittsburgh. We can either A) Draft a QB or B) Use Rutherford as our third string.
St.P, thought he got screwed, or passed over here. But truth is he couldn`t even get playing time in Balt. and they have had squat at QB

I think your right though, we should probably do both

83-Steelers-43
02-19-2006, 12:07 PM
St.P, thought he got screwed, or passed over here. But truth is he couldn`t even get playing time in Balt. and they have had squat at QB

Very true, but do you think that means he would want to come back here and have the same chance to play as he did in Pittsburgh the first time and his time in Baltimore?

clevestinks
02-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Very true, but do you think that means he would want to come back here and have the same chance to play as he did in Pittsburgh the first time and his time in Baltimore?
No, I think he knows now that his options are probably few and far between. He is probably on his way out. The only reason that he may get a shot here is because he knows the system! I say keep Rod Rutherford, draft Mike Robinson, and see if St.P wants a tryout, you always need extra arms in training camp

83-Steelers-43
02-19-2006, 12:15 PM
No, I think he knows now that his options are probably few and far between. He is probably on his way out. The only reason that he may get a shot here is because he knows the system! I say keep Rod Rutherford, draft Mike Robinson, and see if St.P wants a tryout, you always need extra arms in training camp

By no means am I against giving St. Pierre a shot for the good reason that you already mentioned, he's familiar with the system. I just don't see him wanting to come back to Pittsburgh. As his agent stated back in October.........

"They called and wanted to sign Brian, and Brian passed," agent Rick Smith said. "He turned it down. The long-term future of his personal development is not in Pittsburgh. He prefers Baltimore."

It doesn't seem he left on good terms. Here was the article that I meant to post.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05285/586980.stm

clevestinks
02-19-2006, 12:18 PM
I don`t see Baltimore wanting him back, but if they do so be it. He probabluy won`t get any playing time anywhere. It is funny how his agent and he negotiate as if he is great!. I`m not sure how many years he has now, but he is getting close to veteran minuim, then he will for sure be gone

OX1947
02-19-2006, 01:43 PM
What is this 3rd grade? He played horrible in 2 games that were cruical this season. Why is he above critisism. If Maddox wants to come back and be the 3rd Qb behind Batch, Im cool with that. I never hated him but I thought he was very lousy and cost us games because he turned stupid all of a sudden. Throw trash in his lawn or breaking his windows, whatever rumor that was out there that happen, ultimatly I think is irrelavant to most Steeler fans. Had he played bad and still won those two games(Which we should have after Q. Morgan ran back long kickoff returns) then this would be a none issue.

TheButt
02-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Same here. As a matter of fact, after the loss to Jacksonville in the lots everybody was trashing him. I said look, the guy blew chunks today, but look what he has done for us in the past. I wish him luck.

LMAO what exactly has he done for us in the past ? Beat the Browns in a playoff game ??

Wooohooo baby!! :cheer:

BlackNGold203
02-19-2006, 05:06 PM
LMAO what exactly has he done for us in the past ? Beat the Browns in a playoff game ??

Wooohooo baby!! :cheer:

Thanks for confirming my thoughts

Suitanim
02-19-2006, 07:14 PM
"Maddox wrote a letter to every team in the NFL, and only the Steelers brought him in for a look"

That's all I needed to see...we gave him a chance, and every single shred of success he's had since is due to the Pittsburgh Steelers. He's made several million dollars and enjoyed an unprecedented SECOND 15 minutes of fame. He deserves the trashing he's received, but he's also able to laugh about it all the way to the bank...

TexaSteeler
02-20-2006, 12:36 PM
I still don't get what one bad game has to do with wanting Tommy gone. I can't find his comments anywhere. Can someone enlighten me to what he said after receiving boos from an entire stadium that would be so offensive.

And on another note, I found this quote about the Jax game.

"I'm certainly in shock," Hartings said. "We didn't handle the ball very well there at the end and didn't even give ourselves a chance to kick a field goal. That's definitely bad football."

How is this not throwing a teamate under the bus after a bad performance? Sounds the same if not worse than what Manning said. Is it because QB's are supposed to sparkle with golden perfection in the good and the bad? And if they don't, we can shread them and expect them to take it quietly?

I'm sick of the Maddox bashing. He did well for us, totally sucked one game and made some bad comments. Get over it.

TexaSteeler
02-20-2006, 12:39 PM
"Maddox wrote a letter to every team in the NFL, and only the Steelers brought him in for a look"

That's all I needed to see...we gave him a chance, and every single shred of success he's had since is due to the Pittsburgh Steelers. He's made several million dollars and enjoyed an unprecedented SECOND 15 minutes of fame. He deserves the trashing he's received, but he's also able to laugh about it all the way to the bank...

The Steelers gave him the chance, he produced the successes himself. It sounds like you're trying to undermine everything he's done.

pitt
02-20-2006, 01:52 PM
I've always liked Tommy through the good times and bad.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-20-2006, 01:57 PM
I dont dislike Maddox.
but when he was paralyzed during the game...its like he left somethin behind and when he came back, he was NEVER the same.
Tommy had a great 2 year run. but like i said. after he was hurt, he just didnt play the same

MattyD.
02-20-2006, 01:59 PM
-I still like Tommy. I think the treatment he got after the Jags game was totally undeserved. Yeah he had a bad game, but to have to go through things like he did was deplorable. Talk about being thrown to the wolves.

L8R,
Matt D.

schoondog
02-20-2006, 02:05 PM

Sure the maddux comeback story is a neat one i just wish it happened for another team. I am one of the few steeler fans that never got roped into the love affair of tommy"interception"maddux. It always seemed that for every touchdown he threw there was 2 interceptions to go along with it. In my own opinion how good of a qb are you if you can't even keep the backup job behind Elway? the only thing that watching maddux acomplished for me was during his"era" he did increase my beer intake and i guess i can thank him for that.otherwise i have bashed him in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

clevestinks
02-20-2006, 03:03 PM
I've always liked Tommy through the good times and bad.
Nothing agaisnt Tommy the man, but Tommy the player is through, especially for his contract

Suitanim
02-20-2006, 03:16 PM
The Steelers gave him the chance, he produced the successes himself. It sounds like you're trying to undermine everything he's done.

I'm calling an ace an ace and a spade a spade. He's a QB in the National Football League, and no position is under more scrutiny...the facts are, his arm is a wet noodle now, and he's delusional if he thinks differently. After he blamed the wind for his weak arm strength, I'd say he's fairly delusional...

Mosca
02-20-2006, 09:18 PM
"I'm certainly in shock," Hartings said. "We didn't handle the ball very well there at the end and didn't even give ourselves a chance to kick a field goal. That's definitely bad football."

How is this not throwing a teamate under the bus after a bad performance? Sounds the same if not worse than what Manning said.

Because of the words "we" and "ourselves". Hartings included the entire team and himself in his statement. It's different from, "He didn't handle the ball very well there at the end and didn't even give the rest of us a chance to kick a field goal...."

We're fans, we can say all the crap we want and it doesn't matter and no one really cares. But those guys are bonded. Hartings says "we", he means "we". How individuals within the team deal with it after that defines their character, and it subtly changes the team dynamics for sure. But from them to the rest of us, it's "we".

Tom

Mosca
02-20-2006, 09:42 PM
I am one of the few steeler fans that never got roped into the love affair of tommy"interception"maddux. It always seemed that for every touchdown he threw there was 2 interceptions to go along with it.

Maddox, for the Steelers, 42td/40int

Other High interception QBs:

Plunkett (164/198)
Stabler (194/222)
Bradshaw (212/210)
Fouts (254/242)
Aikman (165/141)
D Williams (100/93)
Starr (152/138)

The guy wasn't that bad. The team was banged up in '03, he had to throw from behind a lot. He was a pretty damn good leader for '02 and '03, lots better than

Malone
Brister
O'Donnell
Stewart
Tomczak
Stoudt

I don't like the way he acted after the JAX loss, but in the end the team worked through it. In the final analysis he was exciting as hell to watch, and no matter how far down they got he believed that the team could win, and he made us believe it too.

Tom

schoondog
02-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Maddox, for the Steelers, 42td/40int

Other High interception QBs:

Plunkett (164/198)
Stabler (194/222)
Bradshaw (212/210)
Fouts (254/242)
Aikman (165/141)
D Williams (100/93)
Starr (152/138)

correct me if i'm wrong but the difference between all these qb's listed besides williams and interception tommy is that they are all in the hall of fame. please tell me you're not comparing these legends to interception tommy. and as far as comparing maddux up against the qb's since bradshaw how hard is it not to be better then them? Point is maddux sucks and needs to be gone.

Mosca
02-21-2006, 07:20 AM
please tell me you're not comparing these legends to interception tommy. and as far as comparing maddux up against the qb's since bradshaw how hard is it not to be better then them? Point is maddux sucks and needs to be gone.

Stabler, Aikman, and Plunkett aren't in the HOF.

I'm saying

1) that td to interception ratio isn't always a measure of qb quality,

2) that Maddox was a very good qb for the Steelers for 2 years. In his second year as a starter the defense got burned consistently and he had to throw into stacked coverages, so he had a lot of picks; but he still threw for 3400 yards, most of them in come-from-behind situations. Maddox didn't give up all those points, the defense did. Maddox was the first qb since Bradshaw to provide leadership AND BACK IT UP WITH PERFORMANCE. Tomczak provided leadership without performance, O'Donnell provided performance (barely) without leadership.

OK, so he sucks now. He was still a very good NFL qb for 2 years. And he still has a couple years left, for someone else.

Tom

Suitanim
02-21-2006, 08:51 AM
Aikman is in the HOF.

Hey, every player has his apologists, and there's nothing wrong with that...However...

Maddox was in the league for 14 years (if you count the 5 he was the property of the Giants) and had one, maybe 2 decent years. That's not good. I can say thanks Tommy for being a gamer and stepping in and playing better than I might've thought, but I can't heap praise on the guy for being fairly mediocre overall.

I am thankful that, whether or not another team is desperate enough to pick him up or not, he won't be taking any more snaps as a Pittsburgh Steeler.

TexaSteeler
02-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Because of the words "we" and "ourselves". Hartings included the entire team and himself in his statement. It's different from, "He didn't handle the ball very well there at the end and didn't even give the rest of us a chance to kick a field goal...."

We're fans, we can say all the crap we want and it doesn't matter and no one really cares. But those guys are bonded. Hartings says "we", he means "we". How individuals within the team deal with it after that defines their character, and it subtly changes the team dynamics for sure. But from them to the rest of us, it's "we".

Tom

That's bull. Manning used the word "we". It was obvious that one person didn't handle the ball well and Hartings was calling no one else on his team out but Maddox, he DIDN'T mean "we".

Nothing against Hardings, but if you guys are gonna give him a free pass not to talk the "Team" talk and play the blame game, give everyone a free pass.

schoondog
02-21-2006, 12:23 PM
Stabler, Aikman, and Plunkett aren't in the HOF.

I'm saying

1) that td to interception ratio isn't always a measure of qb quality,

2) that Maddox was a very good qb for the Steelers for 2 years.

OK, so he sucks now. He was still a very good NFL qb for 2 years. And he still has a couple years left, for someone else.

Tom

Well first off wasn't a very good qb for 2 years, right around average in my opinion, and second i hate to break this to you but Maddux doesn't have a couple of years left unless maybe the canadian league. Granted some fool team will pick him up but the chances of him seeing playing time are slim to none baring injury.

Mosca
02-21-2006, 01:57 PM
I never said that Manning did or didn't say "we"; I don't remember what he said, but he did preface it with a statement to the effect that he didn't want to criticize anyone, BUT...

And I never blamed Manning, you did. You blamed BOTH Manning AND Hartings. If my defense means I absolve them both, then so be it.

I separated Maddox's Steelers stats out because it would be ludicrous to say he had even a mediocre career. He had a terrible career.

But he had two good years. He wasn't GREAT for those two years, but he was very good. My opinion is that most average NFL qbs aren't very good; you have some great ones and some really good ones, and the rest are bad. Maddox was pretty good for two years, less so in the second year. But in '03 he was still hampered by a rushing game that was 31st in yards and 32nd in yards per attempt, and a defense that gave up an average of over 20 points a game. Remember that unimaginative game plan that was 2 shots into the line for 2 yards, then 3rd and 8?

I'm thankful that he's not taking any more snaps for the Steelers, too. But he still had two good years.

rgleason
02-21-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm not going to get on guys for not liking Tommy. He played horrible this year when not much was really asked for him, and it cost us two games (although no buddy else was really stepping up in those games). He is pretty much done with the Steellers, but it's not unrealistic to see him go to another team and be a back up.

Tommy has had a bizarre carrer that took him from heir apparent to John Elway, to what seems half the Leagues teams, insurance, arena league, the XFL, the NFL, to being a Starter past age 30. Maybe not the success that was envision coming out a Soph from UCLA, but startign qb for the Steelers is long way up from insruance dealer in Dallas. You can say whatever you want about Tommy, but he saved an entire season for us and damn near got us to an AFC Championship game. Other peopel have already ntoed that his full year of a starter was a tough situation with a weak running game and having to play catch up.
Peolple have criticisized that he was upset about Big Ben becomign the Starter. So what? This is a business and you want to play, you dont want to be on the bench. I'll never bad mouth a guy for wanting to play or wanting to get paid. These guys only have a small window to have their day, and you need to make the most of it.
I'm disappointed in how Tommy performed this year because I really felt we had a capable back up in him who had experience and could more than hold the ship while Ben was out. I'm not sure where we go for finding a third string QB (anybody got Pete Gonzalez number?) but I feel good with Batch at no.2 for years to come. I thank Tommy for his years as a Steelers and sorry that parts of it couldnt have been different, but I wont let the downs make me forget the ups for a guy whose carreer was dead and what we got from him.

Mosca
02-21-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm disappointed in how Tommy performed this year because I really felt we had a capable back up in him who had experience and could more than hold the ship while Ben was out... I thank Tommy for his years as a Steelers and sorry that parts of it couldnt have been different, but I wont let the downs make me forget the ups for a guy whose career was dead and what we got from him.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, but I was a lot wordier and not as to the point as you were. Thanks.

Tom

cpollock
02-25-2006, 07:47 AM
I have read most of this thread and I just thought that I needed to shed some light on some things .. Some of the people on the BB I know from other BB's and some I don't know at all ... but those that do know know me know that I know Tommy personally because I have worked on his foundation. I see the other side of the coin here because I see the Human side of Tommy and not just the Football player.

I understand that some of you are upset about how you thought Tommy acted afted the Jacksonville game . It seems that people have selective hearing when it comes to the media. Plus the MEDIA does not always play the entire sound bite OR the questions that was asked .

I am not going to defend Tommy but I heard him say something in an interview yesterday that did makes sense. How would people feel if someone waked into their office and booed them .. I am going to take it a step further ..

How would you react if someone walked into your office and told you that YOU SUCKED , YOU were the worst employee in the history of the company, That they you didn't deserve to get paid for your job because of your performance ..

What would be your first instinct ... at that SPECIFIC moment what would you do ? Just think about it ..... your reaction would be different LATER .. but at the immediate instance of the comment it is Human nature to react defensively ... just some food for thought ...

The second thing is that the PRESS LIED about the TRASH, and broken window at Tommy's home.. it was an source that told the papers something happend --- and the TRIBUNE review never checked their facts ... All the Maddox's tried to do was IGNORE the report and not give any credit to the MORON that created the story -- I have heard reports that there was A SMALL amount of trash in the yard ... but not any significant amount and Definitly not any property damage or harm done to his family.

Suitanim
02-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Uh oh! I knew I was in trouble when I saw you posting here,Cheryl!

Seriously, I'm not bashing the guy personally, just his QB'ing ability. I also STRONGLY believe that his arm is done, and if he thinks differently, he certainly wouldn't be the first athlete to hang on after the skills have diminished...but that doesn't make him a bad guy either.

The bottom line: He did an adaquate job for a couple years, and good luck to the guy wherever he ends up.

cpollock
02-25-2006, 08:10 AM
I know you aren' t ... :dang: I guess I just wanted to remind people that there are 2 sides to every story and you can't always believe the media .....

It will be interesting to see what happens next ... :bouncy:

83-Steelers-43
02-25-2006, 09:14 AM
The other day he was on the news crying about the fans boo'ing him. He also brought up how we would like it if somebody sat behind us at work and boo'd.

First off, your getting paid nice cash and your an athlete. If you can't deal with the boo'ing, then your in the wrong business. Try.......selling insurance.

Second, normally If somebody messes up as bad as he did during that Jacksonville game only in a work place, we would not get boo'd, but there is a good chance we would get fired. Little bit of a difference there Tommy.

Third, I would be more than happy to get paid what Tommy is getting paid only to have somebody boo me when I have a bad day.

Suit, you made a good point.....

"we gave him a chance, and every single shred of success he's had since is due to the Pittsburgh Steelers. He's made several million dollars and enjoyed an unprecedented SECOND 15 minutes of fame. He deserves the trashing he's received, but he's also able to laugh about it all the way to the bank..."

I'm sure there are two sides of Tommy. While I can't say that I live with the guy and claim to know him, isn't that the case with every athlete? He's no different. I'm not the comparing the two, but I'm sure T.O. has another side. Bottomline though, when you make idiotic comments in the media, expect there to be heat thrown in your direction. When you have a horrible game, expect to be boo'd. It might not always happen, but when it does, understand it's part of the business that you are in. Be thankful Philly did not pick you up. Once again, I don't feel sorry for the guy but I do wish him the best of luck. Bye-bye Tommy.

cpollock
02-25-2006, 10:46 AM
83-Steelers-43

you are entitled to your opinion .. it will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of weeks ....................

clevestinks
02-25-2006, 01:50 PM
I`ve said already twice. Tommy might be the next Mother Theresa, but Qb he is done

billcowherschin
02-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Tommy is bum, say banwagon jumper all you want but if you honestly believe that Tommy is a good quarterback you may be insane. Even four years ago when he was playing and we made the playoffs with a 10-5-1 record he was not playing well, and incase you fell asleep the next year when the real Tommy showed up and remember that he was Tommy Maddox he posted horrible numbers and we went 6-10 with one of the softer schedules in the leauge.