PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me

stb_steeler
08-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Ok i know this has been discussed many times before, but here goes anyway. Why does it seem that the OL plays better for Dixon or Leftwich?. Or is it just me?. Ben looked like he had to scramble, not to mention he didnt play very well. DD looked good, almost like a starter, Leftwich not to bad. Just didnt look like it gelled that great when Ben was in.

Downbylaw
08-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Oh you're asking for it buddy. You are implying that Ben is doing something wrong. Better put your helmet on Bud.

stb_steeler
08-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Oh you're asking for it buddy. You are implying that Ben is doing something wrong. Better put your helmet on Bud.

I call em the way i see em.....So u would say the OL played great when Ben was in?. Its not a shot towards Ben it just seem like he has to scramble all the time. Its great to have a QB that can do that sometimes but it doesnt let him make timing plays when needed.

whatdoiknow
08-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Your point is ridiculous. Mostly because Dixon doesn't have to play when Flozell is playing. And partly because the DE's and pass rushers that Dixon is facing are soon to be " Churches fried chicken " workers.

Did THAT ever cross your mind ?

stb_steeler
08-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Your point is ridiculous. Mostly because Dixon doesn't have to play when Flozell is playing. And partly because the DE's and pass rushers that Dixon is facing are soon to be " Churches fried chicken " workers.

Did THAT ever cross your mind ?

Yeah is had crossed my mind. But dont u think that second string OL Dixon plays on would be just as equal to the defense he faces. Ive watched you respond on many post on here and u never have any input on any subject but to criticize, now thats ridiculous.

ETL
08-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Fair observation. Ben probably holds it longer than other QBs - trying to find an open receiver. But if you only use these two games as a sample size - then you must factor in that Ben was in there against their first team defense.

steeltheone
08-22-2010, 03:01 PM
This bullcrap has been dished out here for the last 3 years. Our OL is average at best. No matter who plays it is going to be a problem. Ben is better on the run while throwing. Thats what makes him dangerous.

DD is a weapon for sure. Untill he gets the time to hone his passing skills he is nothing more than a K. Stewart. Is that bad? No, just does not win championships. He will leave via Free agency and have a chance somewhere else. Just not gonna happen here.

stb_steeler
08-22-2010, 05:46 PM
My point isnt to disrespect Ben, or to praise Dixon... The major point is that the OL just doesnt seem to gell that well sometimes. And yes its been a problem for sometime now. It just looks like some of those problems with OL didnt get addressed.

SteelKnight
08-22-2010, 06:02 PM
My point isnt to disrespect Ben, or to praise Dixon... The major point is that the OL just doesnt seem to gell that well sometimes. And yes its been a problem for sometime now. It just looks like some of those problems with OL didnt get addressed.

I think it was the weaker defense.

Downbylaw
08-23-2010, 01:28 AM
How come Batch threw the ball 31 times vs the Ravens in 07 (No sacks). Ben was getting harrassed by the Skins all half, leftwich comes in and none of the same problems. Same thing in the browns game. Ben got carted off in that game due to pressure, Lefty comes in, no pressure. Same with Dixon vs the Ravens in Bens absence, No sacks (Passed what 26 times?). Ben comes back for game 2 vs Ravens and is sacked 4 times. There is no doubt, the problem is Ben's style.

Curtain_of_Steel
08-23-2010, 12:28 PM
I think the appearence is different.

Ben IMO feels best out of the pocket, is strong enough to fight people off but will take extra sacks as the line breaks down when the guy your protecting is not where you thought he was supposed to be. As stupid as it sounds, roll Ben out in Madden as opposed to keepping him in the pocket and see what happens. You will get sacked more. But you will make mor eplays at times, just like on the field.

Leftwhich has no speed but has a quick release. Doesn't really fight off tacklers and wants to gun the ball out. Leftwhich is not a starter past subbing for injuries.

Dixon, super fast, lacks some accuracy but makes up for it with speed. So even when he rolls out, the Def has to play it a bit difference than if that was Ben as he lacks the blazing speed of Dixon. so when dixon run sas is not in the space the Oline thought he was, even in a breakdown Dixon could scramlbe away.

Dixon imo played great aginst the Ravens last year, BA called a stupid playbook that day, he rolled out 3 times. 1 for a td, 1 called back and 1 a running gain if I recalls. All game 3 rollouts and success 3 times and you kept him in a pocket. Dixon is not a pocket QB. Ben doesn't like the pocket but can be a pocket QB.

Just my 2 cents.

stb_steeler
08-23-2010, 12:37 PM
I think the appearence is different.

Ben IMO feels best out of the pocket, is strong enough to fight people off but will take extra sacks as the line breaks down when the guy your protecting is not where you thought he was supposed to be. As stupid as it sounds, roll Ben out in Madden as opposed to keepping him in the pocket and see what happens. You will get sacked more. But you will make mor eplays at times, just like on the field.

Leftwhich has no speed but has a quick release. Doesn't really fight off tacklers and wants to gun the ball out. Leftwhich is not a starter past subbing for injuries.

Dixon, super fast, lacks some accuracy but makes up for it with speed. So even when he rolls out, the Def has to play it a bit difference than if that was Ben as he lacks the blazing speed of Dixon. so when dixon run sas is not in the space the Oline thought he was, even in a breakdown Dixon could scramlbe away.

Dixon imo played great aginst the Ravens last year, BA called a stupid playbook that day, he rolled out 3 times. 1 for a td, 1 called back and 1 a running gain if I recalls. All game 3 rollouts and success 3 times and you kept him in a pocket. Dixon is not a pocket QB. Ben doesn't like the pocket but can be a pocket QB.

Just my 2 cents.

I do understand in most preseason games teams dont like to show off the playbook. This will be a hard decision as to who will get the start.

kirklandrules
08-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Here's a couple points for you:

Ben is not good at hot routes. How often do you see him torch blitzing defenses by throwing the quick slants or other short routes designed to beat the blitz?
The O-line has not had attention in the draft prior to this year. I don't want to imply that you have to have a 1st or 2nd rounder every year to have a good line. But our line has been going downhill the last few years and we've haven't made any attempts to securing a stud (until this year).
For some reason we like to move our O-linemen around ... alot. I don't buy into the idea you can just move these widebodies around and they will be great. There is a difference between center, guard and tackle. Moving guys around does not help the group gel. I understand they are searching for their proper line-up, but they move so much there is no way to get that cohesiveness and they've been playing this shell game far too long. Get some guards to play guard and tackles to play tackle. Oh, and try to keep a guy who has played his entire career as a right guard to stay on the right.

There's my rantings. The good news is Pouncey is looking like a real stud. Haven't seen a rookie O-lineman play like this for the Steelers since Faneca ... and (hold your breath) he might be better. The guy has a motor on him that just doesn't quit .. he's everywhere.

Downbylaw
08-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Agreed