PDA

View Full Version : DAMN

boLT fan
02-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Brees is an UFA to anyone who cares. :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang:

There goes our good 2007 season. :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang:

BB2W
02-20-2006, 03:42 PM
I take it you don't have any faith in Phillip Rivers??? I think if I were a San Diego fan I'd be ready to move on and see what he can do. I know Brees has played well, but it's not like he was leading you guys deep into the playoffs. Plus, having two highly paid quarterback the last couple years doesn't help. Maybe Rivers can get it done...

boLT fan
02-20-2006, 03:43 PM
I take it you don't have any faith in Phillip Rivers??? I think if I were a San Diego fan I'd be ready to move on and see what he can do.

Not a whole lot of faith, considering all that Brees has done. I would be saying the same, had we not been so close to a SB caliber team.

I can only hope he'll prove me very wrong.

Livinginthe past
02-20-2006, 03:43 PM
You have enough tools on offense to let Rivers settle into the starting QB position - a marquee TE and RB are a wet dream for any QB in his first season as starter.

I dont suppose the schedule can be as tough on the Chargers again this year can it?

I fully expect to see Brees turn up in the AFC East with the Dolphins - or maybe even the Bills.

NM

83-Steelers-43
02-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Not a whole lot of faith, considering all that Brees has done. I would be saying the same, had we not been so close to a SB caliber team.

I can only hope he'll prove me very wrong.

Granted Brees has done well, but give this kid a shot. May take a few seasons, but only time will tell. Tomlinson is still young, so he will have LT around for a while. Perfection takes time.

I have faith in you guys. You have a nice core of players, that's half the battle. Just my opinion.

83-Steelers-43
02-20-2006, 04:02 PM
:tap: My main concern here.................I wonder if Baltimore will try and go after him? I would If I were them.

CantStop85
02-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Damn, what a slap in the face to Brees. I believe this is a big mistake by San Diego. However, this is probably what a lot of people were saying about Kitna being benched in favor of Palmer and we all saw how that turned out.

CantStop85
02-20-2006, 04:12 PM
My main concern here.................I wonder if Baltimore will try and go after him? I would If I were them.
Yeah, that's the first thing I thought. It's definitely a possibility. It could make the Ravens a lot more dangerous. Whoever picks him up will be getting a proven starter in the league...basically a franchise QB...something rarely found in free agency.

83-Steelers-43
02-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Yeah, that's the first thing I thought. It's definitely a possibility. It could make the Ravens a lot more dangerous. Whoever picks him up will be getting a proven starter in the league...basically a franchise QB...something rarely found in free agency.

I agree. If the Ravens do pick up Brees, how will this division look like for years to come? All I know, Cleveland better get in gear.....lol. Interesting and scary at the same time.

Koopa
02-20-2006, 04:17 PM
i think it's dumb to give the kid a chance, why the hell for? brees has been playing great, sure it's only been for two seasons but i think he's gonna be good for awhile might as well stick with what works, i'm not sold on rivers and i would've been pissed as hell if we would've got stuck with him hell i'd be saying start maddox over this punter. they need to resign brees if they want to keep moving forward, playing rivers will drop back a year or two from actually competeting

83-Steelers-43
02-20-2006, 04:20 PM
i think it's dumb to give the kid a chance, why the hell for? brees has been playing great, sure it's only been for two seasons but i think he's gonna be good for awhile might as well stick with what works, i'm not sold on rivers and i would've been pissed as hell if we would've got stuck with him hell i'd be saying start maddox over this punter. they need to resign brees if they want to keep moving forward, playing rivers will drop back a year or two from actually competeting

I also agree. In my original response when I stated "give him a chance" I meant since Brees is gone, you might as well give the kid a chance and see how he performs before you pass judgement and come to the conclusion that your season is doomed and over with. I would have kept Brees personally.

tony hipchest
02-20-2006, 04:21 PM
My main concern here.................I wonder if Baltimore will try and go after him? I would If I were them. i thought this too. i dont think they want to admitt they made a mistake with boller. if they sign brees they have to start him according to the money he will make. baltimore wants to bring in someone on the cheap who has an outside shot of beating boller. that way they dont have too much money sitting on the bench.

san diego has done a poor job of managing their buget. i dont know the numbers but i bet sd has about 16 mil./yr tied up in their starting and back-up qb. i could be off but no other team out there has as much money invested in their top 2 qb's. if sd wouldve shown as much patience with brees as they have with rivers they may not be in this situation. lucky for them they got a few picks from the giants or else the #1 2004 draft pick has been a total waste to this point. they almost have to give rivers a shot to avoid pissing away the #4 pick. if rivers is traded they piss away about 12 mil paying him to sit the bench. if brees stays and plays they give rivers about another 6 mil. to sit the bench for another year. this is an unfortunate situation for the chargers but one of their own making.

i could see brees going to miami though i think that would be a good fit. dallas liked him too but im not sure how committed they are to bledsoe. i hadnt thought about the bills. the current regime probably isnt too concerned about saving face over the losman pick though. any of these afc east teams have got to know if they have any shot in hell with competing with the n.e. bradys they need a half way descent qb.

Livinginthe past
02-20-2006, 04:24 PM
any of these afc east teams have got to know if they have any shot in hell with competing with the n.e. bradys they need a half way descent qb.

Thats a cute name - i'd prefer the New England Vinatieri's though - he is the guy that really gets it done.

NM

83-Steelers-43
02-20-2006, 04:25 PM
I was thinking the Jets, Ravens or Dolphins.

boLT fan
02-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Actually, they didn't really "cut" him. They offered him a contract, Brees declined so they didn't try again.

83-Steelers-43
02-20-2006, 04:28 PM
i thought this too. i dont think they want to admitt they made a mistake with boller. if they sign brees they have to start him according to the money he will make. baltimore wants to bring in someone on the cheap who has an outside shot of beating boller. that way they dont have too much money sitting on the bench.

I hope your right. Personally, If the price is right, I think Baltimore would take Brees in a second. I think Boller is on his last leg in Baltimore. They went out and signed high profile players last season to make them better and failed miserably mainly due to Kyle Boller. The fans in Baltimore would have no problem seeing Brees in purple while Kyle i on the bench in my opinion. A quick fix so to speak.

Livinginthe past
02-20-2006, 04:29 PM
I was thinking the Jets, Ravens or Dolphins.

I think the Jets have too much money tied up in ol' noodle arm to allow them to move for a quality starting QB.

He is refusing to take a voluntary cut in wages, which is his right - if he gets cut then he is going to cost the team an absolute bomb.

The Jets are quite a way from competing for a playoff spot just yet - they have big issues all over the field.

NM

boLT fan
02-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Granted Brees has done well, but give this kid a shot. May take a few seasons, but only time will tell. Tomlinson is still young, so he will have LT around for a while. Perfection takes time.

I have faith in you guys. You have a nice core of players, that's half the battle. Just my opinion.

I wouldn't call waiting MORE seasons for a good playoff run something to look forward too.

83-Steelers-43
02-20-2006, 04:30 PM
I think the Jets have too much money tied up in ol' noodle arm to allow them to move for a quality starting QB.

He is refusing to take a voluntary cut in wages, which is his right - if he gets cut then he is going to cost the team an absolute bomb.

The Jets are quite a way from competing for a playoff spot just yet - they have big issues all over the field.

NM

Very true.

tony hipchest
02-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Thats a cute name - i'd prefer the New England Vinatieri's though - he is the guy that really gets it done.

NM

did I say THAT?:dang: i meant n.e. patriots. i wonder how that couldve happened?

bolt fan, i was listening to pat kirwan (i think) and he was saying the best thing the chargers could do was put the transition tag on him that way they dont look like the bad guys by either low balling him or cutting him. the ball would be in breez's court.

83-Steelers-43
02-20-2006, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't call waiting MORE seasons for a good playoff run something to look forward too.

LOL, sorry brother.....just trying to comfort you. :hunch:

tony hipchest
02-20-2006, 04:35 PM

NM jets will be lucky to afford bollinger next year. and people want them to try and get leinart, or r. bush???? these high round draft picks are rediculous when a team like the jets could have a 1st year player as their highest paid.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-20-2006, 04:59 PM
I can see the Dolphins,Ratbirds,and Raiders looking at him.

I think one thing that might be a potential barrier for him is the fact he just came off of kinda major shoulder surgery.

Livinginthe past
02-20-2006, 05:09 PM
did I say THAT?:dang: i meant n.e. patriots. i wonder how that couldve happened?

bolt fan, i was listening to pat kirwan (i think) and he was saying the best thing the chargers could do was put the transition tag on him that way they dont look like the bad guys by either low balling him or cutting him. the ball would be in breez's court.

If the Bolts Front Office have any sense they won't be bothered about what the media and other fans think of them on this issue.

I rememeber at the start of this year we had a huge furore over the Patriots allegedly trying to low-ball Troy Brown - the NFL is a business and winning is the best way to make money.

The Bolts need to do whats best for the team and the franchise.

NM

Livinginthe past
02-20-2006, 05:12 PM
jets will be lucky to afford bollinger next year. and people want them to try and get leinart, or r. bush???? these high round draft picks are rediculous when a team like the jets could have a 1st year player as their highest paid.

They are in a world of trouble at the moment.

Their starting QB is injury prone and may be permanently affected by his past injuries.

Their starting RB just had the first year of large decline in output - this isn't going to get any better.

They have holes all over the field - they gambled on making the playoffs this year and failed - an amazing run of bad luck with injuries really handicapped them.

This team could easily go 3-13 or 4-12 next year.

NM

tony hipchest
02-20-2006, 06:00 PM
The Bolts need to do whats best for the team and the franchise.

NM

having 16-18 mil. (im just guessing on the actual #) tied up in their top 2 qb's isnt what is best for them and it doesnt make sound business sense. the jets are pathetic and will be that way for a while. t. law was really a case of putting their eggs in 1 basket, as far as money is concerned. i think he will count 1.8 mil towards the salary cap if cut this year. steelers would kill for that extra 1.8 mil. yet they are sitting pretty as champs watching other non contenders piss that money away. sure the steelers will lose some good free agents. but they did last year to when they let p. burress, o. ross, k. bell, and k. vincent walk.

Atlanta Dan
02-20-2006, 06:05 PM
The Jets situation indicates how teams need to be patient in assessing how a draft works out. After the Jets went to the AFC championship in 2002, the Steelers were catching a lot of heat for taking Burress over Pennington in the 2000 draft (remember how the Steelers tried to get Pennington after they drafted Plax?)

Burress did not hang around, but he was a productive first round pick.

Hindsight is flawless, but not getting Pennington worked out for the best for the Steelers.

With regard to Brees, the Chargers are facing the same probem all teams face right now in attempting to sign their own FAs A team does not know how to play the cap until you know the period of time over which the bonus can be amortized, which you do not know without a new collective bargaining agreement. The Chargers simply could not put all their $$ on the table for Brees right now.

Ambridge
02-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Marty Schottenheimer and AJ Smith are total idiots if they let Drew Brees go and I feel pretty confident in saying that this move will blow-up in their faces.

Both Schottenheimer and Smith were both coming under a lot fire before Drew Brees came alive in the 04 season and basically saved their bacon.....as well as his own.

Brees should be healthy and ready to go for the start of the 06 season and the Chargers are legit contenders to make a strong playoff run with Brees at the helm.
Phillip Rivers hasn't proven squat in the NFL and will probably need a season or two to develop and that's if he even develops...............I don't think starting Phillip Rivers is going to set real well in the Chargers locker room especially with Tomlinson, Gates, and Keenan McCardell who know they have a strong chance "now" to make some noise in the playoffs and possibly even making the Superbowl.

Suitanim
02-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Marty Schottenheimer and AJ Smith are total idiots if they let Drew Brees go and I feel pretty confident in saying that this move will blow-up in their faces.

Both Schottenheimer and Smith were both coming under a lot fire before Drew Brees came alive in the 04 season and basically saved their bacon.....as well as his own.

Brees should be healthy and ready to go for the start of the 06 season and the Chargers are legit contenders to make a strong playoff run with Brees at the helm.
Phillip Rivers hasn't proven squat in the NFL and will probably need a season or two to develop and that's if he even develops...............I don't think starting Phillip Rivers is going to set real well in the Chargers locker room especially with Tomlinson, Gates, and Keenan McCardell who know they have a strong chance "now" to make some noise in the playoffs and possibly even making the Superbowl.

Only Coach would see the benefit of playing Rivers. (Sorry SFers, that's from an old board me and Ambridge hung out at).

Rivers is Bernie Kosar minus the smarts and accuracy, which essentially means he should collect as much money as he can now before he ends up where he belongs selling used cars...

Atlanta Dan
02-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Only Coach would see the benefit of playing Rivers. (Sorry SFers, that's from an old board me and Ambridge hung out at).

Rivers is Bernie Kosar minus the smarts and accuracy, which essentially means he should collect as much money as he can now before he ends up where he belongs selling used cars...

Hard to believe it now, but Cowher would have jumped at the chance to draft Rivers over Ben. Rivers was the college QB with the "intangibles" due to a number of come from behind victories at NC State. Rivers may not be a bad QB; it is simply impossible to tell since he has sat on the bench for 2 years.

Thank God Eli had a hissy fit after being drafted by the Chargers; if the Giants did not get Eli they were going to draft Ben over Rivers, whom they took because Marty apparently saw the same skills in Rivers that Cowher did and agreed to swap Rivers for Eli.

tony hipchest
02-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Hard to believe it now, but Cowher would have jumped at the chance to draft Rivers over Ben. Rivers was the college QB with the "intangibles" due to a number of come from behind victories at NC State. Rivers may not be a bad QB; it is simply impossible to tell since he has sat on the bench for 2 years.

Thank God Eli had a hissy fit after being drafted by the Chargers; if the Giants did not get Eli they were going to draft Ben over Rivers, whom they took because Marty apparently saw the same skills in Rivers that Cowher did and agreed to swap Rivers for Eli.

wasnt rivers also one of the typical qb stories? been playing the position since age 5 and dad was a coach? just makes you appreciate the raw talent of ben even more.

Suitanim
02-21-2006, 07:14 PM

Sorry, but that's absolutely wrong. The Steelers brought Ben in and it was not only his only visit to a pro team, it was also the only QB they brought in...Rivers was a smokescreen. They had a bullseye on Ben from the get-go...as a matter of fact, they would have traded players to get him.

I can't prove that, but I can provide evidence...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/s_189196.html

clevestinks
02-22-2006, 06:34 PM
I`m just surprised they werent smart enough to sign and get something for one of them

boLT fan
02-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Brees was offered a 2 year contract with a 4 year option. He declined and decided to look around the FA market first. So, as it is, the decision is completely Drew's.

Aj Smith is like a poker player when it comes to contracts. He negotiated like this with Gates, tested his loyalty.