PDA

View Full Version : Curt Gowdy

Atlanta Dan
02-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Saddened to hear about sportcaster Curt Gowdy passing on. That name may mean nothing to many of the posters on this board since Gowdy's network career effectively ended with his broadcast of Super Bowl XIII in 1979.

However, in addition to Gowdy being the broadcaster of virtually every big event in the late '60s and '70s while he was with NBC (World Series/NCAA Final Four/alternate year Super Bowls), those of us who were around at the time remember Gowdy as part of the soundtrack for virtually every big game (regular season/Immaculate Reception & other playoff games/Super Bowls IX and XIII) that the 1970s Steelers played since NBC had the AFC contract at the time. When I have an opportunity to watch the recordings of IX and XIII what is striking is how Gowdy broadcast the game without feeling a need to fill up every second with the sound of his voice; something to be said for that style of broadcasting as opposed to much of the braying that is heard today.

SteelerFan091472
02-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Sad to hear about his passing. I wasn't old enough to remember to hearing Curt Gowdy broadcast NFL games, but I just saw him being remembered on Countdown With Keith Olbermann and they showed the NBC clip of the "Immaculate Reception".

RIP Mr. Gowdy.

83-Steelers-43
02-20-2006, 09:03 PM
RIP

melroseplace
02-20-2006, 09:27 PM
may he rest in peace

DIESELMAN
02-20-2006, 10:12 PM
He was the voice of ABC he announced 16 World Series, 12 Rose Bowls, nine Super Bowls, 16 baseball All-Star Games, eight Olympic Games and 24 NCAA Final Fours of U.S. collegiate basketball. Rest in Peace.....:helmet:

BlackNGold203
02-20-2006, 10:33 PM
He was a legend...i remember his broadcasts well...

God Bless...

WyomingCowgirlBarbie
02-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Another Wyoming great. I met him several years ago and had the honor of interviewing him for my radio show when he came to Cody. He was sweet.

Prosdo
02-20-2006, 11:43 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-21-2006, 12:05 AM
One of the greatest sportscasters ever... RIP!

schoondog
02-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Another Wyoming great. I met him several years ago and had the honor of interviewing him for my radio show when he came to Cody. He was sweet.

now wyoming is up to two. just kidding WCB. calling him a legend is brodcasting would do him an injustice.

Ambridge
02-21-2006, 05:15 PM
:tombstone-Curt

I remember Curt's show "The American Sportsman" when I was a little kid.
My father loved that program and never missed it.

Lambertfan
02-21-2006, 11:59 PM
I have family in Green River Wyoming and have visited there a number of time. I would like to go back!!!!!:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:
All the good announcers are retired or paassed away. May he rest in peace!!!!!!!!!!!

clevestinks
02-22-2006, 07:31 AM
One of the greatest sportscasters ever... RIP!
I second that! He was always one of my favorites

Mr. Clean
02-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Gowdy came from a time where the announcers realized that it was the game people were interested in, not the announcers (Howard Cosell and John Madden were/are egomaniacs who have tried to overshadow the game).

Announcers like Curt Gowdy and the late Ray Scott, a Connellsville, PA native who broadcasted Packers games and CBS games, let the game tell the story. It was never about Gowdy or Scott - just the game.

I miss that.

Gowdy also did the MLB Game of the Week on Saturdays and Monday Night baseball on NBC until 1975.

Gowdy usually worked with Al DeRogatis on NBC's NFL broadcasts - they were the #1 team. Jim Simpson and John Brodie were NBC's #2 team and they did a lot of Steelers games in the 1970s. Back then, the Youngstown TV stations carried the Steelers, not the Browns, and we were able to see almost all of the games despite being 30 miles southeast of Cleveland.

RIP, Mr. Gowdy.

WyomingCowgirlBarbie
02-22-2006, 09:17 PM
now wyoming is up to two. just kidding WCB. calling him a legend is brodcasting would do him an injustice.

Ha ha funny boy. 3 really. Owner of the Lakers Jerry Buss is from Wyoming too.

WyomingCowgirlBarbie
02-23-2006, 12:11 AM
Duh, you forget me so that makes 4. Keisel, Gowdy, Buss and Cowgirl. PLEASE NOTE: The "sheep herders" NOT cowboys in a certain movie didn't come from Wyoming!!