PDA

View Full Version : We Need A RB

hardwork
02-20-2006, 10:06 PM
The Patriots need a RB bad. Dillon is finished I think. He helped us win a SB so he did his job. But he just can't bring it any more.

Livinginthe past
02-20-2006, 10:09 PM
I would love to see us land Maroney who would be better suited to our O-Line - in other words breaking tackles.

It seems our O-Line is there primarily to protect TB - maybe if we can get 5 regular starters on the OL again for next year along with a healthy Corey we might see him close to '04 form.

We have tried and missed on a few lower round players in the last few years - maybe this is the year we try and pick one up in the rounds 1 or 2.

NM

hardwork
02-20-2006, 10:21 PM
We don't need a great back. We need a big mudder who can get the hard yardage late in the season.

Livinginthe past
02-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Unless our O-line improves a big guy is going to keep getting hit in the backfield for losses.

Having said that our O-Line could really step up next year if they stay healthy.

NM

tony hipchest
02-20-2006, 10:45 PM
sounds like jamal lewis is in order, unless you guys think you can coax j. bettis out of retirement. i dont think the browns have anyone you want. oh wait......

looks like its either r. droughns or v. haynes

j/k with that salary cap situation i say its whoever can be drafted and dillon and faulk for another year. (dillon is getting pretty expensive though huh?) dont worry, he'll take a cut.

Livinginthe past
02-20-2006, 10:49 PM
I fully believe Dillon will take the cut to go for another ring or two - he has experienced playing for no-hopers enough to last him three careers.

NM

tony hipchest
02-20-2006, 10:55 PM
I fully believe Dillon will take the cut to go for another ring or two - he has experienced playing for no-hopers enough to last him three careers.

NM for sure. and dillon was rewarded with a contract extension last year and hes earned a careers worth of cash. the patriots pretty much own him. im hoping for the same situation with haynes and staley before w. parker commands the big bucks. like with the patriots t.e.'s and w.r.'s- the more you can spread it out and keep the numbers down, the less they can demand on the free market.

hardwork
02-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Unless our O-line improves a big guy is going to keep getting hit in the backfield for losses.

NM

I don't agree with that. We need to be healthier in the line next year, sure, but a good hard runner would have given us a lot more then we got at the end of the season from Dillon.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-20-2006, 11:05 PM
IM not sure bill b would put up with someone who has a past like Jailbird Jamal, but I agree, Dillon is pretty done..

hardwork
02-20-2006, 11:10 PM

NM

Unless you know something I don't, or I'm missing your point, they have to pay Dillon what they owe him. The Patriots are locked in and no one else would take that contract on.

tony hipchest
02-20-2006, 11:34 PM
They have to pay Dillon what they owe him. The Patriots are locked in and no one else would take that contract on.the patriots have a significant amount of $$$ to shell out, good thing is most patriots believe in communism. (just ask v. putin) those who dont such as lawyer and law...well we know what happened to them.
with t. brady, a. vinatieri, t. bruschi (got him on the cheap - no agent)
r. harrison, r. seymour, r. colvin there is some serious bucks to be shelling out, this and next year. 2006 may be all or nothing for them. im not sure about branchs contract but after 3 rings im sure he is gonna be wanting some cash and the te phenom b. watson too. not to mention a secondary dont come cheap.

i dont know about m. vrabels status but isnt he due for a big payday?

if the pats can do what they did with h. evans and a. smith i think they will take the broncos approach as far as a rb is concerned.

augustashark
02-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Don't sweat it, you guys have P.Pass waiting in the wing!

hardwork
02-20-2006, 11:49 PM
the patriots have a significant amount of $$$ to shell out, good thing is most patriots believe in communism. (just ask v. putin) those who dont such as lawyer and law...well we know what happened to them.
r. harrison, r. seymour, r. colvin there is some serious bucks to be shelling out, this and next year. 2006 may be all or nothing for them. im not sure about branchs contract but after 3 rings im sure he is gonna be wanting some cash and the te phenom b. watson too. not to mention a secondary dont come cheap.

if the pats can do what they did with h. evans and a. smith i think they will take the broncos approach as far as a rb is concerned.

A lot of that is true. I can't see how we can hold onto Seymour, and Watson, for very much longer. I'm not worried about Vrabel, and Harrison. I think both of them will stick around. Besides, no one knows what Harrison will have left. He never had great speed, and this injury may push him over the line to where he can't be himself out there. But, he'll give it a hell of a bid.

hardwork
02-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Don't sweat it, you guys have P.Pass waiting in the wing!

I haven't forgotten Pass. I have him in the don't count your chickens basket for right now.

tony hipchest
02-21-2006, 12:08 AM
A lot of that is true. I can't see how we can hold onto Seymour, and Watson, for very much longer. I'm not worried about Vrabel, and Harrison. I think both of them will stick around. Besides, no one knows what Harrison will have left. He never had great speed, and this injury may push him over the line to where he can't be himself out there. But, he'll give it a hell of a bid. i dont know about vrabels situation. i dont think he has cashed in on his big payday yet though. i know he isnt making j. porter or j. gildon type of money. i only use them because they are the ones the steelers paid when they let vrabel go. hes got his ring(s) and may be looking to cash in when his time is due. i do think he is the type of character to give the patriots the 1st crack at him though. all theses 2x and 3x sb winners are gonna come at a price. a kicker commanding 3 million dollars just about says it all. the steelers wont even pay randel el 3 mil. somehow though the patriots seem to keep it going. recent history shows it cant go on forever.

Livinginthe past
02-21-2006, 08:14 AM
the patriots have a significant amount of $$$ to shell out, good thing is most patriots believe in communism. (just ask v. putin) those who dont such as lawyer and law...well we know what happened to them.

From what I remember Vrabel doesn't use an agent - he deals with the management directly when it comes to wage negotiations - which has to help us keep him at a reasonable price.

Watson should still have another 3 years left on his rookie contract, im guessing you meant Daniel Graham?

Who knows what Branch will do?

WR's are probably very aware that their job security is very dependant on the guy throwing them the ball - there is nowhere Branch can go where he will have a better chance of success than at NE with Tom Brady.

Several Patriots are in the last year of their rookie contract.

Deion Branch (WR), Dan Koppen (C), Daniel Graham(TE) - who are all starters.

NM

tony hipchest
02-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Who knows what Branch will do?

WR's are probably very aware that their job security is very dependant on the guy throwing them the ball - there is nowhere Branch can go where he will have a better chance of success than at NE with Tom Brady.

Several Patriots are in the last year of their rookie contract.

Deion Branch (WR), Dan Koppen (C), Daniel Graham(TE) - who are all starters.

NM i think graham is on his way out. the good thing about the pats spread the ball offense is that not only does it work on the field it prevents any one players numbers from getting to inflated and keeps prices down. branch has really had enough success for 3 careers. he may be looking to go where he would have more balls thrown his way plus some cash. i think he would gladly leave a pats job at 3 mil/ year to go play elswhere for 4.5.

watson is good for a while on his rookie contract. he definitely shows alot of talent. do you think the patriots would purposely prevent his numbers from reaching gates or gonzales status to avoid a possible holdout or having to pay him way to much when his contract expires?

Livinginthe past
02-21-2006, 09:18 AM
i think graham is on his way out. the good thing about the pats spread the ball offense is that not only does it work on the field it prevents any one players numbers from getting to inflated and keeps prices down. branch has really had enough success for 3 careers. he may be looking to go where he would have more balls thrown his way plus some cash. i think he would gladly leave a pats job at 3 mil/ year to go play elswhere for 4.5.

watson is good for a while on his rookie contract. he definitely shows alot of talent. do you think the patriots would purposely prevent his numbers from reaching gates or gonzales status to avoid a possible holdout or having to pay him way to much when his contract expires?

Branch has shown his talent and potential in a couple of SB appearances - there is no doubt that he can be a genuine No.1 receiver wherever he chooses to play - alot of teams would gladly have him and pay big money for it.

I have no idea what goes on inside his mind, as far as how highly he values an extra $1.5mil a year over the chance of being a regular post season player - some of this new batch of Pats players have seen the mistakes the elderstatemen made - Law, Milloy, Woody - and may have learnt a thing or two about priorities.

I do not think BB would ever do anything that would directly lower his chances of being successful on the football field - as you say it is just the nature of the Patriots spread-it-around offense that leads to lower than expected numbers for individual receivers - Ben Watson included.

Alot of our TE play revolves around the health and experience of our O-Line - if we can get a steady 5 - (Mankins and Kaczur should have progressed massively after being forced into duty quicker than expected this year) I fully expect the TE's to take on much more of a pass catching nature rather than being forced into blocking duty.

Ben Watson is a genuine deep threat - you only have to remember the Denver game to see how fast he can be.

NM

SteelCityMan786
02-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Here's The List Of FA RB's

Ahman Green UFA Packers
Anthony Thomas UFA Saints
Antowain Smith UFA Saints
Arlen Harris RFA Rams
Artose Pinner RFA Lions
Aveion Cason UFA Rams
Chad Morton UFA Giants
Chester Taylor UFA Ravens
David Allen RFA Rams
DeShaun Foster UFA Panthers
Edgerrin James UFA Colts
J.R. Redmond UFA Cardinals
Jamal Lewis UFA Ravens
James Jackson UFA Cardinals
Jonathan Wells UFA Texans
Kenny Watson UFA Bengals
LaBrandon Toefield RFA Jaguars
Lamar Gordon UFA Eagles
Maurice Morris UFA Seahawks
Michael Bennett UFA Vikings
Mike Cloud UFA Patriots
Moe Williams UFA Vikings
Musa Smith RFA Ravens
Najeh Davenport UFA Packers
Omar Easy UFA Raiders
Reno Mahe RFA Eagles
Ricky Proehl UFA Panthers
Rock Cartwright UFA Redskins
Ron Dayne UFA Broncos
Shaun Alexander UFA Seahawks
Shawn Bryson UFA Lions
Steve Bush UFA 49ers
Tony Fisher UFA Packers
Travis Minor UFA Dolphins
Verron Haynes UFA Steelers

Stlrs4Life
02-21-2006, 08:23 PM
I don't think Dillon is done, plus you still have Faulk. But also there is nothing wrong with drafting a RB now.