PDA

View Full Version : For Cowher, Coaching Was Never the Priority

tony hipchest
08-25-2010, 12:10 PM
After Wifes Death, Bill Cowher Looks Ahead

For more than three years, Bill Cowher has resisted the impulse to return to the sideline. He had not lost his fire so much as he had started a new life that did not make finding the next coaching job an urgent priority.

Cowher, a former Pittsburgh Steelers coach, and his wife, Kaye, moved to Raleigh, N.C., during his final season with the Steelers in 2006 and watched their three daughters grow up. Cowher became a studio analyst for CBS Sports and took piano lessons.

But in February of this year, Kaye Cowher received a diagnosis of melanoma. Late last month, she died, at 54

“It was a quick and unfortunate downward spiral in five months’ time,” he said Tuesday at CBS’s Midtown headquarters. “They went in to remove what they thought was a muscle mass and after doing a needle biopsy, they found the melanoma and couldn’t really find a treatment to cure it.”

Cowher said that the pace of his wife’s illness was “a tough process.” Standing in a crowded conference room during CBS’s preseason media day, he said: “The medications she went through; the trial she tried, it really exasperated her. She had some moments of clarity in subsequent times. It was a very tough thing to go through and to watch.”

He added, “Cancer, very particularly melanoma, once it gets into your blood, it’s a difficult cancer to stop.”

He said all of this matter-of-factly, the familiar chin barely hidden behind the thin growth of his beard.

“Adversity comes in life,” he said. “I lost my father in April, but he was 87 and he lived a good life. You want to appreciate the memories and I don’t have any regrets. We did everything. The girls sacrificed things. When you have cancer and you have some time, you have a chance to say and do things, as opposed to when somebody passes away suddenly. We were able to cherish the special moments at the end.”

Now, he said, “We have to move on.”

read more... http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/sports/football/25sandomir.html?_r=4&adxnnl=1&ref=sports&adxnnlx=1282752123-WVW5Q+8VMVppDBdTsUnTDA

i know there was specualtion that she was diagnosed long ago and that is why he retired. looking how quickly the disease consumed her he must feel blessed for walking away when he did and for every day he was away from the sidelines.

SteelCityMom
08-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Sort of puts a damper on all the people who hated him for so long for "walking out" on the Steelers. I know I was one that was critical of his last season here, but it was obvious something was wrong, just by his sideline demeanor.

I completely understand him putting his wife first in regards to coaching. There were a lot of people that said nasty things about her and how her selfish reasons were the reason why he walked away from coaching. All this sort of puts things in perspective.

stb_steeler
08-25-2010, 02:28 PM
They sure did a good job of keeping it quiet, which i dont blame them.