PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu: We can survive without Roethlisberger

tony hipchest
08-25-2010, 02:32 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers now have had four months to absorb the news that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will miss the first four or six games of the '10 season because of a league suspension. With time comes some perspective.

Steelers star safety Troy Polamalu, for one, says the battle-tested team can survive with Byron Leftwich or Dennis Dixon at quarterback the first month-plus of the season.

"It's adversity that we're going to face, but it's nothing we haven't faced before," Polamalu told Sporting News' Clifton Brown. "We've played games without Ben. Honestly, I think we've done well in the past with our backup quarterbacks."

Since Roethlisberger became the starting quarterback during the second game of his rookie season, he has missed eight starts. The team went 4-4 in those games, but three of the losses were to divisional-rival Baltimore.

"We understand as a defense that we have to step up and play a bigger role," he said. "He won't be there to help us win games."

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-08/sharp-debut-for-big/story/steelers-safety-polamalu-we-can-survive-without-roethlisberger#ixzz0xeE1lLde

just dont get hurt then troy... :tt:

heres the most telling stat from the article-

The team yielded nine pass plays of 40-plus yards last year, but only two the year before when Polamalu played all 16 games.

the entire team sure has a quiet confidence about them. they expect to be back to 2008 form. let all the preseason awards go to the jets, ravens and bungles.

whatdoiknow
08-25-2010, 02:59 PM
I hope Troy is better at playing Safety then he is Math...4-4 is hardly great, or surviving.

tony hipchest
08-25-2010, 03:00 PM
troy dont need no stinkin math.

mind over matter.

whatdoiknow
08-25-2010, 03:07 PM
troy dont need no stinkin math.

mind over matter.

Shouldn't that read..." Mind over MATHER! ? " :chuckle:

SteelCityMom
08-25-2010, 03:10 PM
I hope Troy is better at playing Safety then he is Math...4-4 is hardly great, or surviving.

The 4-4 number has nothing to do with Ben. It's a stat on how the team did w/o Troy.

That quote isn't even Troy's though...it's the authors.

tony hipchest
08-25-2010, 03:17 PM
The 4-4 number has nothing to do with Ben. It's a stat on how the team did w/o Troy.

That quote isn't even Troy's though...it's the authors.no thats the stat w/o ben. several of those games were back in 05 and of course last year w/ dixon.

SteelCityMom
08-25-2010, 03:22 PM
no thats the stat w/o ben. several of those games were back in 05 and of course last year w/ dixon.

Oh ok...my bad. I didn't think he'd missed 8 games already...I wasn't thinking of the week 1 game in '06 and the last game of the season in '07.

I still think we'll "manage" without him 2-2 is reasonable for me, but of course, I'd like to see it be better than that.

pete74
08-25-2010, 03:56 PM
we have alot more time to prepare for this and as long as leftwich dosnt lose us the game i think we will be fine

PhantomJB93
08-25-2010, 04:05 PM
You guys need to stop complaining about that 4-4 record, hell Id be more than satisfied if we went 2-2 without Ben...we'll beat the Bucs probably but between the Titans, Falcons, and Ravens getting just one win out of those 3 with Lefty/Dixon at the reigns would be an accomplishment to me

Fire Arians
08-25-2010, 04:27 PM
our team is strong without ben. with an average qb we still have a wildcard caliber team, that is, if our defense can stay healthy. last year they were too banged up, and losing troy/smith and having timmons hobbled all year didnt help

scsteeler
08-25-2010, 05:32 PM

4-4 is not Bad. If it were 0-8 yes I would be worried. Based on that Stat we lose 2 of the 4 I am fine with that.

MasterOfPuppets
08-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Oh ok...my bad. I didn't think he'd missed 8 games already...I wasn't thinking of the week 1 game in '06 and the last game of the season in '07.

I still think we'll "manage" without him 2-2 is reasonable for me, but of course, I'd like to see it be better than that.

can you read ? ......oh crap..:doh: .....:banned: .....i deserve it ...http://bbs.mediumpimpin.com/images/smilies/punchballs.gif

lionslicer
08-25-2010, 05:37 PM
The 4-4 part isn't in quotes, are you sure Troy said it? Even though, he's right, 4-4 is better than 0-8. Steelers went 7-5 in 2005 and then won 9 straight to win the superbowl and ben missed like 2 or 3 straight games, I'm sure he's confident that if the team can atleast go 2-2 without ben, they can finish the season with a strong record when he returns.

Downbylaw
08-25-2010, 07:30 PM
You guys WILL SEE how Good the STEELERS really are. We will go 4-0 or 3-1 at the worst without Ben. Troy knows it and so does the rest of the team. Only people in the dark are the fans who think that the Steeler without Ben is like the Colts without Manning. Take Manning off the Colts and they are done. Ben off the Steelers and we are still good as we all saw with Dixon almost beating the Ratbirds last season. A game we should have won.

Hirsch
08-25-2010, 08:59 PM
You guys WILL SEE how Good the STEELERS really are. We will go 4-0 or 3-1 at the worst without Ben. Troy knows it and so does the rest of the team. Only people in the dark are the fans who think that the Steeler without Ben is like the Colts without Manning. Take Manning off the Colts and they are done. Ben off the Steelers and we are still good as we all saw with Dixon almost beating the Ratbirds last season. A game we should have won.

Law I hope your right ! Man that would quite the nay sayers:chuckle:

SteelCityMom
08-25-2010, 09:46 PM
can you read ? ......oh crap..:doh: .....:banned: .....i deserve it ...http://bbs.mediumpimpin.com/images/smilies/punchballs.gif

:reading: :fingers: :smack:

MasterOfPuppets
08-25-2010, 11:04 PM
:reading: :fingers: :smack:

:sofunny: ..... that last smiley is awesome !

SteelersinCA
08-26-2010, 12:03 AM
I really can't see how anyone can expect us to do any worse than 2-2.

PhantomJB93
08-26-2010, 12:42 AM
I really can't see how anyone can expect us to do any worse than 2-2.

Easy, its easy to see us losing to the Ravens even with Ben, the Falcons have an elite offense and a defense that isnt "great" but has some good off season improvements, and a lot of people think the Titans will be beasting after last years 8-2 run to finish the season (not me personally, but I can see why). Personally I think we'll lose at least 1 or 2 of those, not all 3, but I can certainly see why a lot of people expect us to drop all 3 of them

SacknificentStew56
08-26-2010, 01:52 AM
We can survive without Ben.......as long as Lefty doesn't scramble. I thought his legs were gonna give out against the Giants when he tucked it and ran. Scary when he leaves the pocket IMO.

Downbylaw
08-26-2010, 02:22 AM
Easy, its easy to see us losing to the Ravens even with Ben, the Falcons have an elite offense and a defense that isnt "great" but has some good off season improvements, and a lot of people think the Titans will be beasting after last years 8-2 run to finish the season (not me personally, but I can see why). Personally I think we'll lose at least 1 or 2 of those, not all 3, but I can certainly see why a lot of people expect us to drop all 3 of them

No it not. The Ravens are not the team that we are, sorry. Falcons have an elite offense? Since when? Elite offenses are in the playoffs unlike the Falcons. Vince Young will NOT beat us, sorry. The people that think that dont watch the Steelers every Sunday. Mark my words, we will execute with precision and beat teams easy in Bens absence. Mark this post.

Downbylaw
08-26-2010, 02:24 AM
We can survive without Ben.......as long as Lefty doesn't scramble. I thought his legs were gonna give out against the Giants when he tucked it and ran. Scary when he leaves the pocket IMO.

Leftwiches strength isnt scrambling you know just like Mannings, Marinos or Warren Moons? They were immobile gunslingers and so is Leftwich but not nearly the degree of the aforementioned guys. Its not like Ben is mobile either. He is ELUSIVE but not mobile. Dixon is mobile.

SacknificentStew56
08-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Oh so true. Dixon is very mobile and as long as he is allowed to develop as a pocket passer and only use his mobility when needed, he'll make a great QB.

Leftwiches strength isnt scrambling you know just like Mannings, Marinos or Warren Moons? They were immobile gunslingers and so is Leftwich but not nearly the degree of the aforementioned guys. Its not like Ben is mobile either. He is ELUSIVE but not mobile. Dixon is mobile.

jjpro11
08-26-2010, 08:13 AM
it all depends on the defense imo.. if they can return to, or close to their 2008 form, we can win any game with Leftwich or Dixon. that's basically what they did that year since our offense was incompetent for the first 3 quarters of most games.

SteelersinCA
08-26-2010, 09:00 AM
it all depends on the defense imo.. if they can return to, or close to their 2008 form, we can win any game with Leftwich or Dixon. that's basically what they did that year since our offense was incompetent for the first 3 quarters of most games.

That's true, and that's what I expect.

Downbylaw
08-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Our defense will be solid like it always is. The breakdowns were all in the 4th qtr and thats due to the offenses inability to sustain drives, eat up clock and consistently score TD's. As a result the defense was on the field a lot. Come 4th qtr, they were gassed.

TackleMeBen
08-26-2010, 09:34 AM
lefty didnt say he was the slowest qb in the NFL, just the slowest black qb in the NFL..lol

if this team starts out badly, then its Ben's fault for not thinking with the correct head.

Downbylaw
08-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Why would they start out badly? The Steelers are a deep, great team. You will be surprised how well the offense plays without Ben. Book it.

TackleMeBen
08-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Why would they start out badly? The Steelers are a deep, great team. You will be surprised how well the offense plays without Ben. Book it.
its good to be positive, but you must be realistic also.

Downbylaw
08-26-2010, 12:59 PM
its good to be positive, but you must be realistic also.

I am realistic. The Steelers are good. VERY good. And will be without Ben. If Im wrong, beat me up over it. If I'm right, LOOK OUT!!!

TackleMeBen
08-26-2010, 01:02 PM
I am realistic. The Steelers are good. VERY good. And will be without Ben. If Im wrong, beat me up over it. If I'm right, LOOK OUT!!!
no need to be all hostile about it. i am just saying if the team starts out badly, it will be on ben for not keeping his penis in his pants and getting trouble.

if you are wrong you are just wrong, no need to beat up anyone over a statement or opinion.

Downbylaw
08-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Now thats the attitude I like. Not being hostile maam. If I offended you, I apologize.