PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey running 1st team Center in today's main scrimmage.

tony hipchest
08-25-2010, 04:27 PM
jim wexell, ken laird, and ed bouchette all reporting.

today could be "start of a new era".

Ken_Laird Maurkice Pouncey said he took all first team 11-on-11 reps today: "Put on a big smile on me, I ain't gonna lie. I just want to stay humble"

Aussie_steeler
08-25-2010, 04:38 PM

Ken_Laird Maurkice Pouncey said he took all first team 11-on-11 reps today: "Put on a big smile on me, I ain't gonna lie. I just want to stay humble"

Thats the news most of us want to hear.

Now I hope that we get to hear that there is a start of a new era at RG next to Maurkice. Hartwig and Essex were not the strongest interior.

ricardisimo
08-25-2010, 04:49 PM
It would be nice if Urbik could step it up, because right now he's looking like a complete bust.

pete74
08-25-2010, 04:52 PM
i was hoping this would happen. our line sucked last year. hartwig was in the nfl for a long time so obviously his play isnt going to get any better. we really need pouncy to step in and play well

great news

PhantomJB93
08-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Seeing how good Pouncey's been, I REALLY REALLY wanna draft Mike next year. Not only would it be great chemistry and a great storyline to have them on the same team, but we'd *likely* have a beasting interior line as well. I have a feeling we're gonna need to take another defensive player in the first next year though (due to age, not inadequacy of our current starters), but Id personally still rather wait a year to draft replacements if we could have Mike

ricardisimo
08-25-2010, 04:59 PM

Is this radio?

Aussie_steeler
08-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Not all reports have Urbik being a bust.

Urbik has received some good reviews early in training camp and could appear to be on an equal footing with Legursky for probably the last O line spot on the roster.

He has been working out at OG and OC to try and see his worth come game day. At college he had OT experience as well.

He definitely gets another year on the roster courtesy of 2nd year and draft status.

Essex gets RG by default but Foster and Urbik will be ready to Pounce if he slips up.

tony hipchest
08-25-2010, 05:12 PM
sorry... as per twitter.

Fire Arians
08-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Seeing how good Pouncey's been, I REALLY REALLY wanna draft Mike next year. Not only would it be great chemistry and a great storyline to have them on the same team, but we'd *likely* have a beasting interior line as well. I have a feeling we're gonna need to take another defensive player in the first next year though (due to age, not inadequacy of our current starters), but Id personally still rather wait a year to draft replacements if we could have Mike

if maurkice does really well this year, chances are stock will also go up on his brother and he'll be picked too high for us to get. otherwise that would be awesome to get them both. Maybe like SteelKnight suggested, trade up to get him? :P

I think RT is more of a need position than guard right now at least, though.

pete74
08-25-2010, 05:46 PM

i would love to have the other Pouncy if we could land him in the 2nd but he will be a 1st round pick and probably the 1st guard selected. next year NT will probably be our biggest need with Hampton getting up there. if we dont select a NT in the 1st then a tackel will be a must

scsteeler
08-25-2010, 06:27 PM

Sounds Good to me. Hartwig was served his purpose but we need a better center.

Steel_Bus_24
08-25-2010, 06:39 PM

yeah that would be sweet....it would be a lethal combo

but I don't see how we could get him,.....we better not be picking that early again:tt03:

ricardisimo
08-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Is his brother really that good?

Fire Arians
08-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Is his brother really that good?

he's expected to get picked higher, barring injury

tony hipchest
08-25-2010, 07:10 PM
theyre the same age like most twins. maurkice was good enough to declare eligible and be a top 20 pick. his brother didnt.

i think he stayed behind a year so he can play his "real" position, which just so happens to be...

*drumroll please*

center.

stb_steeler
08-25-2010, 08:13 PM
theyre the same age like most twins. maurkice was good enough to declare eligible and be a top 20 pick. his brother didnt.

i think he stayed behind a year so he can play his "real" position, which just so happens to be...

*drumroll please*

center.

Hmmm we could use one of those.....:wave:

pancake
08-26-2010, 02:26 AM
if maurkice does really well this year, chances are stock will also go up on his brother and he'll be picked too high for us to get. otherwise that would be awesome to get them both. Maybe like SteelKnight suggested, trade up to get him? :P

I think RT is more of a need position than guard right now at least, though.

I'm with you, I think OT is a bigger need.

I would love to see them draft a RT and put Colon at RG.

ricardisimo
08-26-2010, 03:47 AM
Here (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10238/1082784-66.stm) it is in black-and-white:
The Maurkice Pouncey Era seems ready to begin. The rookie moved onto the first team at center for an entire practice Wednesday and smiled broadly at the prospect of opening the season as the Steelers' starter.

"It put a big smile on me," Pouncey said after practice, acknowledging he took every snap with the first team. "I ain't going to lie, but I just need to go out there and practice every day. I want to stay humble. I'm happy about it. I just want to stay humble and keep working at it."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10238/1082784-66.stm#ixzz0xhDCpO4T

Further on down Bouchette also mentions that Dixon might get the start, which is cool.

Downbylaw
08-26-2010, 05:59 AM
Here (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10238/1082784-66.stm) it is in black-and-white:

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10238/1082784-66.stm#ixzz0xhDCpO4T

Further on down Bouchette also mentions that Dixon might get the start, which is cool.

Bad news for Hartwig. For those that want Dixon to start.........Be careful what you wish for.

vasteeler
08-26-2010, 07:04 AM
whens the last time the steelers started a rookie line man?

Downbylaw
08-26-2010, 07:39 AM
No clue. Maybe Fanaca, Dawson? I think Dermonti started at guard due to Webster being the center. Once Webster went to KC, Dawson was the center. I could be mistaken

ricardisimo
08-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Bad news for Hartwig. For those that want Dixon to start.........Be careful what you wish for.

It's a preseason game for a reason. Those who think Dixon sucks should similarly be rooting for him to start at Denver. He's either going to expose himself or he's going to shine. I'm just tired of Tomlin saying it's an open competition when really it hasn't been.

tony hipchest
08-26-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm just tired of Tomlin saying it's an open competition when really it hasn't been.its racist.

dixon isnt getting a fair shot just because he is black.

tomlin is going to go with the black qb instead since hes a black head coach. :rolleyes:

not to mention charlie batch is lighter skinned and randle el is muslim. :wink02:

poor ben.

steeltheone
08-26-2010, 12:54 PM

When's the last time the Steelers started a rookie anything?

Downbylaw
08-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Dermonti. Levon Kirkland, Ben Roethlisberger

pancake
08-26-2010, 02:48 PM

I was thinking Fanaca started his rookie year, but I'm not sure about week one.

pancake
08-26-2010, 02:51 PM
I was thinking Fanaca started his rookie year, but I'm not sure about week one.

Fanaca started 12 games his rookie year and played in all 16.

Downbylaw
08-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Dermonti started at Guard in Websters last season with us

pete74
08-26-2010, 04:33 PM
i was happy when we drafted Pouncy but then again upset at the time that we didnt land Iupati who i felt was the best lineman in the entire draft. obviously im no longer upset. Pouncy is going to be a lifelong probowler and the anchor in our line for the next 12 years.

i cant wait to see him go up against a big NT in the Denver game sunday night. thats going to be were my eyes are

steeltheone
08-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Dermonti. Levon Kirkland, Ben Roethlisberger

Kirkland no...BR7 because of injury....Dawson started 5 games in 88

MasterOfPuppets
08-26-2010, 10:10 PM
When's the last time the Steelers started a rookie anything?

heath miller.

steeltheone
08-26-2010, 11:48 PM
heath miller.

Good pick..He started 15 out of 16