PDA

View Full Version : Drug cartel suspected in massacre of 72 migrants

MasterOfPuppets
08-25-2010, 09:40 PM
MEXICO CITY A wounded migrant stumbled into a military checkpoint and led marines to a gruesome scene, what may be the biggest massacre so far in Mexico's bloody drug war: a room strewn with the bodies of 72 fellow travelers, some piled on top of each other, just 100 miles from their goal, the U.S. border.

The 58 men and 14 women were killed by the Zetas gang, the migrant told investigators Wednesday. The gang, started by former Mexican army special forces soldiers, is known to extort money from migrants who pass through its territory.

If authorities corroborate the story, it would be the most horrifying example yet of the plight of migrants trying to cross a country where drug cartels are increasingly scouting shelters and highways, hoping to extort cash or even recruit vulnerable immigrants.

"It's absolutely terrible and it demands the condemnation of all of our society," said government security spokesman Alejandro Poire.

The Ecuadorean migrant staggered to the checkpoint on Tuesday, with a bullet wound in his neck. He told the marines he had just escaped from gunmen at a ranch in San Fernando, a town in the northern state of Tamaulipas about 100 miles from Brownsville, Texas.

The Zetas so brutally control some parts of Tamaulipas that even many Mexicans do not dare to travel on the highways in the state. Many residents in the state tell of loved ones or friends who have disappeared traveling from one town to the next. Many of these kidnappings are never reported for fear that police are in league with the criminals.

The marines scrambled helicopters to raid the ranch, drawing gunfire from cartel gunmen. One marine and three gunmen died in a gunbattle. Then the marines discovered the bodies, some slumped in the chairs where they had been shot, one federal official said.

The migrant told authorities that his captors identified themselves as Zetas, and that the migrants were from Brazil, Ecuador, El Salvador and Honduras.

Poire said the government was in contact with those countries to corroborate the identities of the migrants.

The Ecuadorean Embassy in Mexico said it was in contact with the surviving migrant, Luis Freddy Lala Pomavilla, and was trying to find out if any of its citizens were among the dead.

Marcio Araujo, Brazil's consul general in Mexico, said documents found at the scene indicated at least four of the dead were Brazilian. Consular officials for El Salvador said they had no immediate information on whether any Salvadorans were among the victims.

The marines seized 21 assault rifles, shotguns and rifles, and detained a minor, apparently part of the gang.

Authorities said they were trying to determine whether the victims were killed at the same time and why. Poire noted migrants are frequently kidnapped by cartel gunmen demanding money, sometimes contacting relatives in the U.S. to demand ransoms.

Poire also said the government believes cartels are increasingly trying to recruit migrants as foot soldiers a concern that has also been expressed by U.S. politicians demanding more security at the border.

The government has confirmed at least seven cases of cartels kidnapping groups of migrants so far this year, said Antonio Diaz, an official with the National Migration Institute, a think tank that studies immigration.

But other groups say migrant kidnappings are much more rampant. In its most recent study, the National Human Rights Commission said some 1,600 migrants are kidnapped in Mexico each month. It based its figures on the number of reports it received between September 2008 and February 2009.

Violence along the northeastern border with the U.S. has soared this year since the Zetas broke with their former employer, the Gulf cartel. Authorities say the Gulf cartel has joined forces with its once-bitter enemies, the Sinaloa and La Familia gangs, to destroy the Zetas, who have grown so powerful they now have reach into Central America.

Teresa Delagadillo, who works at the Casa San Juan Diego shelter in Matamoros just across from Brownsville, said she often hears stories about criminal gangs kidnapping and beating migrants to demand money but never a horror story on the scale of this week's massacre.

"There hadn't been reports that they had killed them," she said.

It was the third time this year that Mexican authorities have discovered large masses of corpses. In the other two cases, investigators believe the bodies were dumped at the sites over a long time.

In May, authorities discovered 55 bodies in an abandoned mine near Taxco, a colonial-era city south of Mexico City that is popular with tourists.

In July, investigators found 51 corpses in two days of digging in a field near a trash dump outside the northern metropolis of Monterrey. Many of those found were believed to have been rival traffickers. But cartels often dispose of the bodies of kidnap victims in such dumping grounds.

Authorities are still digging in a mine shaft where seven bodies were removed over the weekend in the central state of Hidalgo. Two more bodies have been pulled out since, officials said Wednesday.

The Rev. Alejandro Solalinde, who runs a shelter in the southern state of Oaxaca, where many migrants pass on their way to Tamaulipas, said the Zetas have put informants inside shelters to find out which migrants have relatives in the U.S. the most lucrative targets for kidnap-extortion schemes.

He said he constantly hears horror stories, including people who "say their companions have been killed with baseball bats in front of the others."

Solalinde said he has been threatened by Zetas demanding access to his shelters.

He said the gangsters told him: "If we kill you, they'll close the shelter and we'll have to look all over for the migrants."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100826/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_drug_war_mexico;_ylt=AkWPRvOBvSMAOXPTsQTC_2BvaA 8F;_ylu=X3oDMTJqb3ZxZ3BkBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwODI2L2 x0X2RydWdfd2FyX21leGljbwRjcG9zAzEEcG9zAzMEc2VjA3lu X3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDZnVsbG5ic3BzdG9y#mwpphu-container
___

SteelersinCA
08-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Screw you!!!

ricardisimo
08-26-2010, 01:47 AM
And he's your ricardisimo moment: Los Zetas are former GAFE officers supposedly trained where? That's right... The School of the Americas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Hemisphere_Institute_for_Security_Cooperat ion). More evidence of our supposed good intentions backfiring horrifically.

We need to legalize all of it and just leave people alone.

SteelersinCA
08-26-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm OK with legalizing it if the penalties for driving under the influence of cocaine or crimes committed with drugs involved are severely and swiftly penalized. Like if you beat your wife vs beating your wife while of meth.

tony hipchest
08-26-2010, 09:17 AM
definitely. double the penalty automatically, or keep the same drug laws and penalties, but have it decriminalized until you commit another crime.

SteelCityMom
08-26-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm OK with legalizing it if the penalties for driving under the influence of cocaine or crimes committed with drugs involved are severely and swiftly penalized. Like if you beat your wife vs beating your wife while of meth.

Well...aren't they already?

And I'm not asking to be a smart ass, but is there a legal difference between beating your wife while sober and beating your wife while drunk? If there isn't, I don't see any reason to make it worse for any other drug. It should be a harsh penalty no matter what.

MattsMe
08-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Bens best stats are TEAM ones. Ben is so inconsistent that he barely squeeks out wins, I bet his defense loves that lol. Ben has made a CAREER of feasting off of average, mediocre or pityful defenses. But against top Defenses? He is mediocre. Lets take a look, shall we?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...sition/defense

Ravens #2 in Total Defense - Ben was 17-33 259 1 TD 1 int ELITE? HARDLY LOL Take away the 45 yard YAC by Wallace Ben is BELOW average vs. A GOOD D. TELLING. Ben produced 2 TD's

Packers #3- Ben did well vs. this Defense. 3rd overall BUT only TWELTH vs. the pass. Not to mention that TWO Dbs were injured for the Steelers game. Ben took advantage of a injured secondary (remember you HOMERS always cite Bens injury in 06 as an excuse so don't hate on me for doing the same thing). However, Ben played up to his abilities in this game. No problem with giving him credit on this day. Again- Exception to the rule

Vikings #4- 14-26 175 1 Td. ELITE? HARDLY. Again, Wallace Bails him out again with a fair catch TD of a punt. I mean pass by Ben. A pass Wallace had to stop, wave his hand and then catch. Ben produced 1 TD and 2fgs. THIRTEEN POINTS. Defense won this game.

#5 Bengals (2) Game 1- 22-31- 276 1 TD 1int. ELITE? Again, Wallace catches a long pass that should have been SIX but the inconsistent one led him out of bounds with the poor pass. The inconsistent one also overthrew a wide open Hines for six as well as Tone for six. Yes Limas dropped a Td that was like George Washingtons face- On The Money. But WHY does that failed TD get more recognition than the THREE that Ben failed on? Ben produced TWO TD's.

#5 Bengals Game 2. 20-40- 171 1 INT ELITE? He was sacked four times and his passer rating of 51.5 was his lowest since a 38.6 in a loss to the Giants (ANOTHER GOOD D) Ben produced NO TD's.

#7 Broncos- 21-29- 233 3TD's 1 int. These stats were aided by a strong performance from our Defense. Tyrone took one to the house. The Defense also got 2 more picks to put us in position to score and Ben took advantage of the good field position and got tds. This is how you utilize a strong D. You reward them by executing well and putting the dagger into the oppposition by scoring TD's. Notice how the game wasn't close? That's how MOST of our games should be, considering the strength of our D.

Now contrast These stats to the TEN games vs. poor defenses. NOW do you see where Ben did his damage at? Excluding the Packer game of course. He played EXCELLENT that game!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...ense/year/2008

#2 Ravens (2)- Game 1 Ben was 14-24-191 1 TD 1 INT Sacked 3 Times. Benefited from ANOTHER TD from the defense (Woodley). Benefited from Tone taking a short pass and making it a big play/yac. Hines Also had a 49 yard catch and run, that bolstered Bens pedestrian stats. Having said that, they were still pedestrian despite that. ONE TD Produced by your ELITE qb.

Game 2 vs. Ravens 22-40-246 1TD Sacked 3 Times. ELITE? Hardly. The defense held the Ravens to NINE points and all we could muster was 13. Last second pass to Tone for the TD was clutch but long overdue. The Ravens shouldn't have even been in this game. Ben also lost a fumble this game. ONE TD. ELITE?? LOL

#3 Eagles- The inconsistent one was 13-25-131 1 INT 2 lost fumbles and EIGHT SACKS LOL. Ben produced TWO fgs and gave them 2 more points with a BONEHEADED safety in the end zone. Slow to process the info (Did the same thing vs. the Browns in 09 by the goaline. Took a terrible sack). Leftwich had almost half Bens yardage in ONE drive. He burnt the blitz over and over. Made Jim Johnson stop blitzing. If Nate catches the TD Leftwich throws him that game would have been winnable.

#4 Skins- Ben got hurt late 2nd qtr. So he only played one half. He benefited from a blocked punt. He still played poorly. He was 5- 17- 50 yards and 1 INT and was sacked 5 times.. Leftwich comes in and he goes 7-10-129 and 1 TD not sacked once. Not saying Byron is better. He can just read a defense, faster.

#5 Giants- 13-29-199 1 TD FOUR INTS and 1 lost fumble. Also sacked FIVE times. Ben played like crap in this game and we STILL should have won. We were leading until the Harrison safety. An example of how our STRONG Defense aids Ben.

#7 Titans- 25-39-329 2 TD's 2INT's 5 SACKS, 2 lost Fumbles (one on the Titans ONE). Again, our defense put us in position to win this game but LETHARGIC one made it impossible to do so. The Griffin pick six was the nail in the coffin. UGH

#8 Cowboys- Ben 17-33-204 1TD, 5 sacks and 1 lost fumble. Ben could only produce two fgs. It was the DEFENSE on the int by Ike that set up Heaths td from ben. Townsends pick 6 won the game. Ben again putrid vs. a good defense.

#10 Pats 17-33-179 2TDS 1 INT 1 lost fumble. With no Brady the Pats were no match for our team. We controlled the ball and ran all over them. Kinda like the 04 game with Plax (reg season).Mewelde and Willie were the reasons for this win. Ben, AGAIN, played mediocre vs. a good D. SEE A PATTERN?

#11 Colts- Ben was 29-41-3INTS and 2 sacks. Worth noting-Peyton was 21-40-240 and 3 TD's. VS THE #1 DEFENSE.

Vs #2 Ravens AFCCG 16-33-255-1TD, 1 fumble lost and 4 sacks. We won this game based on the int by Polamalu and the great YAC by Tone.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...ense/year/2007

#4 Pats- 19-32-187- 1 TD, 3 sacks and 1 fumble lost ( Brady was 32-46-399- 4TD's VS THE # 1 D

#6 Ravens (2) Game 1 Ben- 13-16-209 5 TD's. Monday Night game in those UGLY throwbacks. It was an epic game by Ben. Again, there is always an exception to every rule. Hats off Ben played GREAT.

Ravens Game 2- Ben sat out-resting for playoffs.

#12 Jags- 15-32-142- 3 TD's and 5 sacks. A classic case of too little too late as the LETHARGIC one only generates SEVEN points through 3 qtrs. Plays up to his potential in the 4th. Too late.

#12 Jags in playoffs-The inconsistent one does the same thing he did in the Regular season vs. this D. Plays horrible early and comes on strong late to make the HOMERS forget about the pick 6 he threw to Mathis. Stats Ben- 29-42-337 2 TD's, 3 INT's AND SIX sacks and 1 lost fumble. I remember after this game the Steeler Nation attacked Tomlin for going for two points after the holding call. That call didn't lose the game. Ben's horrible 1st half did. You can NEVER get points back. But as usual, Ben can do no wrong. LOL

You NOW know why Ben had such a good statistical season in 07. NO GOOD DEFENSES ON THE SCHEDULE. Contrast that with 08. SEE THE DIFFERENCE?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...ense/year/2006

#1 Ravens Game 1 Ben 21-41-214 and 2 INT's, NINE SACKS and one fumble lost for a TD. A. Thomas. The Ravens shut us out. The inconsistent one AGAIN, struggles against a top D.

#1 Ravens Game 2 Ben 15-31-156 1TD and 2INT's, 5 SACKS. So in TWO games vs. the #1 D he had ONE TD and FOUR INTS. I KNOW I KNOW he was hurt. LOL

#2 Jags-17-32-141 0 TD's and 2 INT'S. 2 Sack. Ben continued his trend of hitting his favorite receiver (Rashean Mathis) who picked him twice- AGAIN. Inconsistent Ben produced ZERO points in this game. I know I know "HE WAS HURT HE WAS HURT"

#3 Raiders Ben was 25-37-301 1TD and FOUR ints. And 5 sacks. Including TWO pick six's. Didn't I say Ben has HABITUALLY sucked in the redzone his WHOLE career? FACT. I know I know. HE WAS ALMOST KILLED IN JUNE. LOL. Worth Noting- the opposing qb (Walter) was 5-14-51 yards and one int. AND HE WON. I bet the DEFENSE was ticked off at the inconsistent ONE LOL. Elite Ben managed THIRTEEN points.

#7 Carolina Ben was 10-17-125 1 TD and 3 sacks.

#10 Chargers 20-31-220 2 INTS and 5 Sacks. You guys this is too easy. You CANT use the excuse that "he was hurt". or it was Arians, or the line. I am proving that Ben is what I say he is. A good qb that plays with a strong defense. He puts up ok numbers vs. Good defenses or he sucks royally vs. them. This with Arians, Whiz, Good Line, Average Line, "Bad Line".

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...ense/year/2005

#2 Bears 13-20-173 1TD zero sacks.

#5 Ravens Game 1 18-30-177 2TD's, 1 INT.2 sacks. I'm waiting for this guy to LIGHT UP AN ELITE D. YAWN

#5 Ravens Game 2 (Didn't play)

#11 Colts 17-26-133 1 TD 2INTS, 3 sacks.

#11 Colts playoffs 14-24-197 2TD's, 1 INT,2 sacks. Ben started off fast. I was loving this game. Then in the 2nd half the inconsistent one surfaced. Managed 7 WHOLE points the 2nd half. ENTER EXCUSES (Cowher, Whiz) . Ben made a great tackle on a STUPID Bettis fumble. PROPS FOR THAT!!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...ense/year/2004

#3 Skins Super Ben was 9-20-131 NO TD's O INTS. 4 Sacks

#6 Ravens. The 1st Raven game was when Ben got his chance after Maddox got hurt. These stats are from game 2 vs. the Ravens. 14-19-221 2 TD's 1 INT. O Sacks

#7 Jets- 9-19-144 0 TD's 2INT's.

#9 Pats (reg season) 18-24-196 2 TD's 0 sacks. I remember this game! Nice Long ball to Plax. Ben played well. Int by Townsend- to the house. We controlled the ball for most of the game. If I recall right it was like 40 minutes.

#9 Pats (AFCCG) 14-24-226 2 TD's 3 INT's 1 Sack. Ben was a rookie and he played like it. UGH. Call it cheating, call it whatever but Ben sucked in this game like HIS PATTERN vs. elite defenses.

There you have it HOMER PYLES. As I have PROVED. Ben Roethlisberger makes a living feasting off of bad defenses. Put him up against an elite one and he is not so elite as I have ALWAYS said. He wins BECAUSE OF HIS DEFENSE and because he is on the Steelers. Do explain all of this HARCORE proof as to his pedestrian or pathetic stats vs. a good defense. I didn't just list random numbers, I listed teams and years so you could CALL MY BLUFF. I dont just take ONE SEASON (BENS STATISTICAL BEST). I take his whole career and BURY YOU WITH THE TRUTH. Who cares what you say about Peyton. Waste your time. He is BETTER THAN BEN. There is a concensus on that. So it Brady,Favre and Brees. But thats not so Bad now is it?

MattsMe
08-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Seemed relevant. :noidea:

SteelCityMom
08-26-2010, 01:23 PM
:toofunny:

tony hipchest
08-29-2010, 02:07 AM
anyone still following this story?

the lead investigator has been kidnapped (most likely murdered) and missing for 2 days.

MasterOfPuppets
08-29-2010, 02:29 AM
Arizona Cops Threatened by Mexican Drug Cartel

A Mexican drug cartel has threatened police officers in Arizona who confiscated a marijuana shipment, prompting the small town department to warn its officers to remain armed and have radios with them at all times, and keep their body armor handy.
Police in Nogales, Arizona, have been told to carry guns at all times.

Police and experts believe the warning against the Nogales, Ariz., cops marks the first time that powerful Mexican drug cartels, used to bribing and bullying police south of the border, have targeted U.S. officers.

Jeffrey Kirkham, chief of the Nogales police department, told ABCNews.com that informants had delivered the threats after two off-duty police officers seized 400 pounds of marijuana while horseback riding outside the city earlier this month. The pot was worth about $250,000, he said.

Kirkham said informants have told his police department that off-duty officers should ignore cross-border drug shipments or face retaliation.

The threats appear credible because various informants were able to identify the officers who intercepted the drug load. Kirkham said the threats by Mexican traffickers were the first against local law enforcement on the U.S. side of the border.

"They're getting upset that their product so to speak is not getting to where it needs to be," Kirkham said of the cartels.

The chief said he gave a stern warning of his own to his 63 officers for what to do while they are off duty.

"We met with all the employees and supervisors to make them aware of what was said, and to make sure that they have their body armor and are armed and that their communications equipment is working properly," Kirkham said. Kirkham attributed the surprising threat toMexico's war on the cartels.

"The pressure is on them from the president in Mexico and that desperation is starting to spill over the border," Kirkham told ABCNews.com.

Attacks by Mexican cartels on American law enforcement officers would be an alarming escalation of the Mexican drug wars. Cartel turf wars have killed more than 23,000 people across Mexico since President Felipe Calderon launched a military crackdown on drug gangs in late 2006.

In the neighboring Mexican city of Nogales, attacks on police officers have become commonplace. A deputy police chief in Nogales, Mexico, and his bodyguard were shot dead in March when gunmen in a pickup truck opened fire on them with assault rifles.

In November 2008, the police chief for Sonora state, which includes Nogales, was ambushed and killed just a few miles south of the Arizona border.

continued....
http://abcnews.go.com/US/mexican-drug-cartels-threaten-police-arizona/story?id=10995661

urgle burgle
08-29-2010, 02:45 AM
its all disgusting. i know hes prob not the "fave" of you guys, but ol' sheriff arpeio of Marcipa county, az, has had a bounty put on his head by the cartels. evidently the govt. doesnt think this is serious. any of it.

MasterOfPuppets
08-29-2010, 03:32 AM
its all disgusting. i know hes prob not the "fave" of you guys, but ol' sheriff arpeio of Marcipa county, az, has had a bounty put on his head by the cartels. evidently the govt. doesnt think this is serious. any of it.

i'd just like an honest answer from a politician why they absolutely refuse to secure the border . and its not just one party its both of them. i ain't falling for the GOP lip service. they're just tryin to ride the border issue to the polls, they just had 8 years to do something about it and did nothing but piss away money on a worthless ill planned virtual fence.
they seem to think its important to secure iraq and afghanistans borders from would be foriegn invaders ,but not our own ...:doh:

SteelersinCA
08-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Well...aren't they already?

And I'm not asking to be a smart ass, but is there a legal difference between beating your wife while sober and beating your wife while drunk? If there isn't, I don't see any reason to make it worse for any other drug. It should be a harsh penalty no matter what.

Not to my knowledge. There is no enhancement to DV for doing it under the influence of drugs. Maybe in some states.

urgle burgle
08-30-2010, 03:39 AM
i'd just like an honest answer from a politician why they absolutely refuse to secure the border . and its not just one party its both of them. i ain't falling for the GOP lip service. they're just tryin to ride the border issue to the polls, they just had 8 years to do something about it and did nothing but piss away money on a worthless ill planned virtual fence.
they seem to think its important to secure iraq and afghanistans borders from would be foriegn invaders ,but not our own ...:doh:

i agree 100%. ive been screamin' bout this for years. that is almost what pisses me off abut the GOP more than the Dems. they had 8 yrs. to deal with most of this shit. they did a half ass try at fixing it. or did nothing at all. they had a majority at one time. did they do shit with it.....no. Yes, i know the dems threatend fillibuster at every move, but if your savvy enough, you can deal with it. the border has been an issue forever. its a godanmn war zone down there. ive lived in so cal and az, ive seen it. both parties suck. its why ol' georgie back in the 1700s warned against them. a pox on both their houses.