PDA

View Full Version : Steelers QB Dennis Dixon to work with first team

pete74
08-26-2010, 07:55 PM
In something of a surprise, No. 3 quarterback Dennis Dixon(notes) will get most of the snaps in Sundayís preseason game in Denver (8 p.m. ET, FOX).

Ben Roethlisberger(notes) is expected to start for the second straight week after appearing for 20 plays against the Giants. But the plan is to replace him with Dixon, not Byron Leftwich(notes), who is expected to be the starter for the season opener.

Coach Mike Tomlin wants to take a longer look at Dixon with the first-team offense, a further indication the team plans to use Dixon in certain packages when the regular season begins.

"I intend to give Dennis Dixon some looks with the first group against some good people," Tomlin told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I think he's earned that likewise. And that's what this preseason is all about."

Also, Maurkice Pouncey(notes), the Steelersí No. 1 draft pick, has been inserted as the full-time center over Justin Hartwig(notes), a move that has been in the works since the first week of training camp. Pouncey has been so impressive in practice and in two preseason games the coaches didnít want to wait any longer to make the change.

pete74
08-26-2010, 07:56 PM
looks like this is Dixon's chance. he plays well he may start week 1, he plays poorley or even mediocre and the job belongs to leftwich

MasterOfPuppets
08-26-2010, 08:05 PM
being that he's going to be the # 2 at least the first 4 games its a wise move. he's only one injury away from being the starter. even if lefty is the starter, they should still get dixon on the field. make the defense prepare for 2 totaly different qb's and styles.

FogOnTheMon
08-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Finally! Though they'll probably go with Leftwich (less risk)

OX1947
08-26-2010, 09:33 PM
I love Byron. His arm strength and Wallace's speed for the first 4 games could be big weapons until Ben gets back. However, if they play Dixon and he goes 4-0 and looks like Vince Young, maybe the Steelers could get a 2nd rounder like the Chargers did when they sent Whitehurst to Seattle....

cloppbeast
08-26-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm so glad to hear Tomlin's giving the young man at least a partially fair chance. I hope he wins the job. I like Dixon a lot better than Leftwich.

cloppbeast
08-26-2010, 10:11 PM
However, if they play Dixon and he goes 4-0 and looks like Vince Young, maybe the Steelers could get a 2nd rounder like the Chargers did when they sent Whitehurst to Seattle....

Or, on second thought, I wonder what we could get for Ben.......

Downbylaw
08-26-2010, 11:34 PM
I love Byron. His arm strength and Wallace's speed for the first 4 games could be big weapons until Ben gets back. However, if they play Dixon and he goes 4-0 and looks like Vince Young, maybe the Steelers could get a 2nd rounder like the Chargers did when they sent Whitehurst to Seattle....

Or maybe he will remain the starter and the Steelers get some 1st rounders for Ben. Who would have thought that young inexperienced Favre would replace Don Majikowski. Or Young inexperienced Tom Brady unseating Drew Bledsoe. I know this is blaphemy to most of you but again, anything can happen in this league. Dixon is the kind of electirc player that can attract fans and ignite teammates. All of you that want Dixon in.......Be careful what you wish for.

Steelers17
08-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Or, on second thought, I wonder what we could get for Ben.......

The absence of a significant contract! :tt03:

FogOnTheMon
08-27-2010, 12:18 AM
The ideal trade would be R-burger to the Colts for Peyton Manning, although I wouldn't say no to former P-Mann backup and current E-Mann backup Jim Sorgi.

DanRooney
08-27-2010, 05:31 AM
Or maybe he will remain the starter and the Steelers get some 1st rounders for Ben. Who would have thought that young inexperienced Favre would replace Don Majikowski. Or Young inexperienced Tom Brady unseating Drew Bledsoe. I know this is blaphemy to most of you but again, anything can happen in this league. Dixon is the kind of electirc player that can attract fans and ignite teammates. All of you that want Dixon in.......Be careful what you wish for.

Won't happen. Tomlin is stubborn but not that dumb. Dixon isn't even close to the same league as Brady and nor is Bledsoe to Ben.

Downbylaw
08-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Oh yeah Ben the great. You guys have been watching channel zero. You guys act like he is some elite qb. An elite qb with no Mvps, ONE Pro Bowl, ZERO All Pro selections. I know I know he has 2 rings lol and NO SUPER BOWL MVPS. Whats wrong with telling the truth about Ben? Whats wrong with just saying he is good, why do you have to engage in hyperbole and call the guy great? Or Elite? NO elite qb stares at so many blitzes (doesnt change the routes) and is eventually sacked. It takes his soooo long to see Wallace is going to beat his man that by the time he throws the ball, Wallace has to stop and come back and get it. The deep ball is TIMING, you have to release it BEFORE the receiver is open and give him a chance to run under it. You would think that a 6 years vet would know that. But I digress

MassSteeler
08-27-2010, 09:43 AM
I believe both Dixon & Leftwich can get the job done, but I'm pulling for Dixon if for no other reason than I really enjoy watching him play.

Steelerfreak58
08-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Dixon should be the number 1 while Ben is gone. I have said it from the very beginning. Lefty is a decent back up but Dixon is superior.

Downbylaw
08-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Based on Regular season stats for the Steelers Leftwich is the obvious choice

vs. Skins- Leftwich 7-10 129 yards 1 TD 145 rating

vs. Browns Leftwich 7-12 80 yards 78.5 rating 1 Td run

vs. Eagles Leftwich 4-7 60 yards 85.4 rating

vs Ravens Dixon 12 -26 145 yards 1 Td 1 int 1 Td run 60.6 rating

SacknificentStew56
08-27-2010, 10:56 AM
This will be a great test for Dixon which i'm sure he's up for. His decision making has been pretty stellar thus far but against the Bronc-hoes 1st team defense will shed some light on where he'll be on the depth chart.

scsteeler
08-27-2010, 04:30 PM

Those Stats against the Ravens don't make me think Leftwich is the choice. Dixon from what I have seen has studied more on making reads and he has plenty of upside as a QB now. Leftwich is a decent backup and you not gone get any more upside other than what you have seen already.

Stinky Fred
08-27-2010, 04:57 PM

I think they're sandbagging Dixon until the season. They let him start and win 3 or 4 and pass the baton to Ben. We go 17-2 and Lombardi # 7. We trade Ben to Az for all their picks in 12 after signing Dixon long term.

You heard it here first. Write it down.

Ben languishes in Az. Dix wins 4 more.

How TF do we get rid of arians though?

cloppbeast
08-27-2010, 05:52 PM

Apples to Oranges.

cloppbeast
08-27-2010, 05:53 PM
I think they're sandbagging Dixon until the season. They let him start and win 3 or 4 and pass the baton to Ben. We go 17-2 and Lombardi # 7. We trade Ben to Az for all their picks in 12 after signing Dixon long term.

If it works out this way, I will suck your balls.

Downbylaw
08-27-2010, 11:36 PM
Those Stats against the Ravens don't make me think Leftwich is the choice. Dixon from what I have seen has studied more on making reads and he has plenty of upside as a QB now. Leftwich is a decent backup and you not gone get any more upside other than what you have seen already.

What you have seen is Leftwich play good for the Steelers. In same games he outplayed Ben (Skins,Brown of 08). I have seen Dixon look good in the PRE SEASON. But in the regular season (2nd half vs Ravens) I seen him look very GREEN. You guys DO know that he has been playing vs 3rd teamers in pre season right? You do know that defenses provide a very vanilla defense in pre season right? Just checking

Downbylaw
08-27-2010, 11:38 PM

No way Whiz hates Ben and Ben hates Whiz

Downbylaw
08-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Apples to Oranges.

Statistical proof at its finest

tony hipchest
08-27-2010, 11:46 PM
No way Whiz hates Ben and Ben hates Whiz

why are you such a ben hater?

eeiDM1H_Y-w

Downbylaw
08-27-2010, 11:49 PM
why are you such a ben hater?

eeiDM1H_Y-w

Whiz hates him not me. And Ben hates him. Proof? In Whiz's 1st season (Tomlins too) we went to Arz to play the CArds. All the Steeler players surrounded Whiz and hugged him etc, Ben stood on the sideline talking to Tomlin. The rift is well documented. I dont hate Ben. I just hate HOMERS.

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-28-2010, 12:05 AM
Oh yeah Ben the great. You guys have been watching channel zero.

Well, whatever we have been watching-- clearly it isn't the same football games as the ones you have been watching.....maybe not even the same sport.

You guys act like he is some elite qb. An elite qb with no Mvps, ONE Pro Bowl, ZERO All Pro selections. I know I know he has 2 rings lol and NO SUPER BOWL MVPS.

Wow. THAT ^^^^ is YOUR evidence? You do realize the Pro Bowl, MVP, and Superbowl MVP are nothing more than popularity contests, yes? They are based on votes from the NFL viewing audience, many of whom have about as much football accumen as you....

Whats wrong with telling the truth about Ben? Whats wrong with just saying he is good, why do you have to engage in hyperbole and call the guy great? Or Elite?

Just calling it like it is.....

NO elite qb stares at so many blitzes (doesnt change the routes) and is eventually sacked.

Aaron Rodgers does. Ben DOES change the routes-- you may have noticed, he is one of the best in the league out of the no-huddle offense.

Also, one of the reasons he "stares at so many blitzes and gets sacked", is because he has had one of the worst Olines in the league protecting him for the last several years, even accounting for the sacks he takes due to his high risk, high reward playing style.

It takes his soooo long to see Wallace is going to beat his man that by the time he throws the ball, Wallace has to stop and come back and get it.

Could be because of that whole "staring at bliztes coming" thingy we talked about.

The deep ball is TIMING, you have to release it BEFORE the receiver is open and give him a chance to run under it. You would think that a 6 years vet would know that. But I digress

I think if you go back and watch replays of all the long TDs Ben threw to Wallace last year, he did just that. Ben admittedly does not have as strong of an arm as Lefty (one of the few areas Lefty is better at), so he had a harder time hitting Wallace in stride. But don;t let reality get in the way of your madness.....

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-28-2010, 12:07 AM
Statistical proof at its finest

Not unlike your mind-numbing "he hasn't won an MVP popular vote" argument.....pot, meet the kettle.

Downbylaw
08-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Well, whatever we have been watching-- clearly it isn't the same football games as the ones you have been watching.....maybe not even the same sport.

Wow. THAT ^^^^ is YOUR evidence? You do realize the Pro Bowl, MVP, and Superbowl MVP are nothing more than popularity contests, yes? They are based on votes from the NFL viewing audience, many of whom have about as much football accumen as you....

Just calling it like it is.....

Aaron Rodgers does. Ben DOES change the routes-- you may have noticed, he is one of the best in the league out of the no-huddle offense.

Also, one of the reasons he "stares at so many blitzes and gets sacked", is because he has had one of the worst Olines in the league protecting him for the last several years, even accounting for the sacks he takes due to his high risk, high reward playing style.

Could be because of that whole "staring at bliztes coming" thingy we talked about.

I think if you go back and watch replays of all the long TDs Ben threw to Wallace last year, he did just that. Ben admittedly does not have as strong of an arm as Lefty (one of the few areas Lefty is better at), so he had a harder time hitting Wallace in stride. But don;t let reality get in the way of your madness.....

Yeah Peytons Mvps are popularity contest, So are Bradys, Farves and Warners., Deebo got arrested and still won DPOY. Poor Ben, nobody likes him lol

What long Td Ben threw to Wallace? You mean those punts, where he had to fair catch, stop and catch them? Green Bay? Be specific. I disagree Byron reads defenses faster and better than Ben. That Oline was crap in the Skins game with Ben in. However, enter Leftwich and PRESTO no sack problem. That line was crap in the Eagles game with Ben in, enter Leftwicha and PRESTO no sack problem. That line was hoirrible in the Browns game, Ben is wheeled out, enter Leftwich and PRESTO no line problems. Dixon passes 26 times vs the Ravens and NO SACKS. Ben plays vs the Ravens in the 2nd game and PRESTO the sack problem is back. Ben sacked 4 times.
But dont let proof get in the way of your bias.

Downbylaw
08-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Not unlike your mind-numbing "he hasn't won an MVP popular vote" argument.....pot, meet the kettle.

Mvps are a popularity vote? How popular is Tone? DO TELL
HOMER LOL

MattsMe
08-28-2010, 12:21 AM
http://apple-recording.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/broken_record.jpg

tony hipchest
08-28-2010, 12:22 AM
Mvps are a popularity vote? How popular is Tone? DO TELL
HOMER LOL

eeiDM1H_Y-w

not only can i flush the toilet, i got a plunger in hand as well.

maybe you wanna quit clogging up every single thread, and keep your anti ben diatribe consilidated in the the one that was thoughtfully pointed out to you. :tap:

MasterOfPuppets
08-28-2010, 12:34 AM
http://smiliesftw.com/x/ban.gif

Downbylaw
08-28-2010, 03:49 AM
I wonder If anyone would get offended if I posted repeatedly BEN IS GREAT BEN IS GREAT. I wonder what effect that would bring? LOL

Downbylaw
08-28-2010, 03:51 AM
eeiDM1H_Y-w

not only can i flush the toilet, i got a plunger in hand as well.

maybe you wanna quit clogging up every single thread, and keep your anti ben diatribe consilidated in the the one that was thoughtfully pointed out to you. :tap:

Anti Ben is "BEN IS A RAPIST" "TRADE THAT POS" Show me where I have EVER said anything like that. You cant. All I do is say Ben is not elite and PROVE IT. Youre anti truth

BWAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:tt04:

Downbylaw
08-28-2010, 03:53 AM
Notice I am commenting on the OTHER Ben post but he only says something to me (bats his eyelashes) SIGH