PDA

View Full Version : Bettis says arrogance almost cost team Super Bowl shot

drizze99
02-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Steelers | Bettis says arrogance almost cost team Super Bowl shot
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 06:51:46 -0800

Joe Bendel, of the Tribune-Review, reports retired Pittsburgh Steelers RB Jerome Bettis acknowledged Monday, Feb. 20, that he nearly cost the Steelers a chance to be Super Bowl champions due to his arrogance against the Indianapolis Colts in an AFC divisional game at the RCA Dome. Bettis was referring to his demeanor as he stepped onto the field with the Steelers at the Colts 2 and holding a 21-18 lead in the closing seconds. On the play Bettis fumbled and only a game-saving tackle from QB Ben Roethlisberger and an eventual missed field goal by the Colts' Mike Vanderjagt allowed the Steelers to advance in the playoffs. "My career could have ended on a play that I went out on the field arrogant. I did some things I never should do," Bettis said. "I learned a valuable lesson in that. If you go out there with a sense of arrogance and you haven't accomplished anything, you set yourself up for failure."

source: www.KFFL.com

A definite valuable lesson in life!

Livinginthe past
02-21-2006, 02:22 PM
On one hand you could say that he was lucky to be given that second chance.

On the other, I think Bettis was due a little luck after a long and distinguished career - other than the Colts fans (understandably) I dont think many people would want to see such long, honest career end in tragedy.

NM

ohio's #1 steelers chick
02-21-2006, 03:01 PM
he was interveiwed in torino a couple of days ago and said the same thing. he actually related it to when the snowboarder girl was hot dogging it on the final jump and fell. then she lost. i thought it was creative, but also knew exactly what he meant.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-21-2006, 03:15 PM
With all the good things Jerome has done, He always would have been remembered for that fumble had we lost the colts game......Im glad it ended the way it did....Bettis goes out on top, Big Ben becomes more of a star for the tackle, and we win the superbow.....
gotta love it

clevestinks
02-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Way to man up Bus

melroseplace
02-21-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm glad that he was willing to be open about his mistake, not that the fumble was entirely his fault but props to him for admitting his mistake. that's not the way he will be remembered. he'll be remembered as a Super Bowl champ, and I'm so happy for him b/c he deserves it

klick81
02-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Wow...his direct quotes should be given to every high school athlete out there.

Ward86MVP
02-21-2006, 04:41 PM
This is the type of story you just won't hear about on ESPN, because it has become a tabloid where only controversy and individual rivalry are covered in detail. It is not a common thing to hear a pro athlete admit arrogance. Thank you, Bus, for teaching us all lessons. Hopefully, as some others have said, that this message gets to kids who are just starting their athletic careers in the midst of such scandals like TO and Barry Bonds.

Suitanim
02-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks, Jerome...that's refreshingly honest...

SteelerPride
02-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Taking responsibility for your actions...such a novel concept in todays society

Way to lead by example Bettis!

Stlrs4Life
02-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Yeah, he stated this on his interview with bob Costas in Torino, for the Olympics.

SteelerMurf
02-21-2006, 07:29 PM
I wonder what kind of talking he did?

I have a feeling the entire offense on that play let down except for Hartings (almost made the initial tackle), Tuman, and of course Ben