PDA

View Full Version : Is this Homeland Security?

Stlrs4Life
02-21-2006, 04:23 PM
http://blogs.baltimoresun.com/news_local_politics/2006/02/dutch_wants_por.html

GW stated today also that he will veto any bill trying to stop the sale. Boy is he in a different world!

And, by the way, alot of fellow Republicans are not too happy about this either.

BB2W
02-21-2006, 04:25 PM
bad link...

Stlrs4Life
02-21-2006, 04:30 PM
bad link...

Sorry, try it now.

melroseplace
02-21-2006, 05:23 PM
two of my professors were talking about this today. I haven't had time to watch the news and living on this campus is like being in a bubble. sounds like GW has gone temporarily insane (or permanently insane, depending on your views lol). what is he thinking?!

Suitanim
02-21-2006, 07:39 PM
This is insane...there's just no way we can let this sale can go through.

Are we being a bit xenophobic? Yup. Do we have every right to be? Hell ya!

tony hipchest
02-21-2006, 08:25 PM
This is insane...there's just no way we can let this sale can go through.

Are we being a bit xenophobic? Yup. Do we have every right to be? Hell ya!

long live xenophibia! not to turn this board into a political debate forum, but everybody has got to raise an eyebrow on this. 2 of the 9/11 high jackers were from the u.a.e.! a almost feel the need to watch farenheit 9-11 again just to calm down and gain some perspective on what the hell is going on.

btw, while not a registered republican, i voted for bush and have verbally supported the war but its time to get our boys home. the u.s. is selling its soul to the devil with deals like this

Suitanim
02-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I'm a bit perplexed. This runs contrary to current policy (unless it's immigration policy), and I don't like it.

Stlrs4Life
02-21-2006, 09:30 PM
The Coast Guard will still be in charge of Security, but still, something just doesn't seem right? He probably will not stop it. They are probably some of his oil buddies over there.

Suitanim
02-21-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm not sure about any of this...It's really the first time when I've seen Bush break from the popular opinion...

Stlrs4Life
02-21-2006, 09:40 PM
I'm not sure about any of this...It's really the first time when I've seen Bush break from the popular opinion...

Hmmmm? He's done it many of times. Unless you mean by popular opinion from his own. Yeah, this would be a first.

Suitanim
02-21-2006, 09:43 PM
No, I mean the real popular opinion. Not polls and not what the media says, but the real deal. This is NOT what anybody wants...

Although it is interesting to point out that 5 years ago this wouldn't have even been any kind of issue at all...

SteelCityMan786
02-21-2006, 09:56 PM
GWB needs to STOP the sale.

FisherMOM
02-21-2006, 10:49 PM
I am a Bush supporter.. but this is not right at all! unbelievable he'd even consider it!
I'm shocked!

clevestinks
02-22-2006, 07:37 AM
I NEVER thought I would say this! But I`m quetioning my vote now!

Suitanim
02-22-2006, 09:32 AM
I'll be mightily surprised if this doesn't get shot down...even the top Republicans are questioning it.

This is a case where it's the media's job to keep this story at the top of people's awareness...

83-Steelers-43
02-22-2006, 10:15 AM
This is a case where it's the media's job to keep this story at the top of people's awareness...

Why would they do that when they have a hot story such as our VP accidentally shooting a Texas lawyer? Hell, Gore was in the middle-east telling the people over there that we are treating Muslims and Arabs in a horrible manner and the top story was Cheney and the hunting accident.

Whatever you do, don't count on CNN.

Eitherway, dumb decision on "W's" part.

Suitanim
02-22-2006, 04:34 PM
I listened in on a lot of talk radio today to see if anyone was defending Bush's decision, and there wasn't much out there. Obviously the left had a field day with it, and the Democrats are literally tripping over each other to see who can get the most credit for killing this thing, but even Rush had difficulty defending the decision. Hannity blasted it.

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2006, 08:25 AM
i bet bill o'rielly had a field day with this.

As did Hillary Clinton......surprise, surprise.

SteelerzGirl
02-23-2006, 08:54 AM
They are probably some of his oil buddies over there.

You hit the nail on the head. It's all about Bush's oil baron buddies and making a ton of money.

Am I the only person who finds it odd that Bush, under the guise of the Patriots Act, is monitoring out-of-country phone calls and internet activities of average americans, yet will turn over U.S. ports to the Arabs? If Bush isn't impeached during this term, I'll be extremely surprised. I'm sure he will be questioned regarding this during many press conferences within the next few days. He'll talk around it and out his ass for minutes on end and then ask, "What's the question again?" :dang:

Suitanim
02-23-2006, 09:25 AM
Some things that need to be clarified:
A) Bush didn't okay this until the Committee on Foreign Investments in the United States had already approved it. (And, no, this isn't some shadowy sevcretive agency created by Bush, it was put in place by Gerald Ford)
B) Their decision was not made overnight. It took 3 months of investigation before the committee approved it.
C) Killing the sale actually will make us look bad to some in the World

All that aside, I still don't support the sale, and think that even if Bush veto's legislation barring the sale, Congress will have enough juice to overturn that veto. It's a hot button issue now, and it will give the leadership in the Republican party a chance to show that they are still an autonomous force to be reckoned with.

TexaSteeler
02-23-2006, 12:32 PM
I've been a Bush supporter to a fault, but this and the Harriet Myers nomination are helping with my objectivity.

I'm baffled why they convinced themselves that this was a good idea, even just politically.

The guy protects his pride a little too much, IMO.

CASTEEL
02-23-2006, 06:02 PM
.....He probably will not stop it. They are probably some of his oil buddies over there.

...ummmmmm...... yeah...... :wink:

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, however, I do feel that the oil barrons of our world do help each other out more than we might know.......

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Ive hear rumors of bush and his father having secret ties with arab nations and he and a few of his friends have deals with them.......basiclly they will make tons of money once hes done with the presidency

Suitanim
02-23-2006, 08:03 PM
But Bush didn't back this until it was already approved...by a seperate committee that has no ties to Arab oil money.

If you want to bash Bush, feel free, but at least hit the target. Bush is wrong for supporting this sale AFTER he found out the Committee on Foreign Investments in the United States had approved it.

3 to be 4
02-23-2006, 10:01 PM
the borders are open, the ports are a joke, we are missing the mark by putting all our resourses in Iraq when N.Korea,Iran and others are much bigger threats. And most of the hijackers were Saudis btw. So much for all the tough "talk" after 9/11 about those who harbor terrorists. Its all about business and Oil with him. Its pretty bad when the stuff Kerry talked about in the debates regarding port security are more on target that the "I'll keep you safe" President.

Stlrs4Life
02-24-2006, 07:28 PM

What do you mean? We already look bad to most of the world?!

Stlrs4Life
02-24-2006, 07:30 PM
...ummmmmm...... yeah...... :wink:

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, however, I do feel that the oil barrons of our world do help each other out more than we might know.......

Either am I. But, there is no doubt that he has oil buddies over there.

Stlrs4Life
02-24-2006, 07:31 PM
But Bush didn't back this until it was already approved...by a seperate committee that has no ties to Arab oil money.

If you want to bash Bush, feel free, but at least hit the target. Bush is wrong for supporting this sale AFTER he found out the Committee on Foreign Investments in the United States had approved it.

Regardless of when he found out, he is still wrong for backing it.

SteelerzGirl
02-24-2006, 07:38 PM
A) Bush didn't okay this until the Committee on Foreign Investments in the United States had already approved it. (And, no, this isn't some shadowy sevcretive agency created by Bush, it was put in place by Gerald Ford)
B) Their decision was not made overnight. It took 3 months of investigation before the committee approved it.

All that aside, I still don't support the sale, and think that even if Bush veto's legislation barring the sale, Congress will have enough juice to overturn that veto. It's a hot button issue now, and it will give the leadership in the Republican party a chance to show that they are still an autonomous force to be reckoned with.

Okay, Suit... But can we be absolutely, positively certain that Bush wasn't somehow involved and didn't know about the Committee on Foreign Investments' approval? And, if not, isn't it his job as the President of the United States of America to know about it? Just a thought...

Suitanim
02-24-2006, 08:14 PM
You know, the thing is, I can't figure this isue out, and I'm pretty sure nobody else can either. The press and media are sending out conflicting messages.

For example, the local paper which is very left-leaning supports Bush
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/news/editorial/13940414.htm

And David Brooks, a liberal NYT columnist had this to say
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/blog/2006/02/david_brooks_rips_port_deal_hy.html

Al Franken had a guy who used to serve on the committee that okayed the sale, and this guy said the committee is a farce and that allowing the sale was a huge mistake.

Sean hannity hates it, but Rush Limbaugh says it's okay.

Anyone see a pattern here? NOBODY knows if it's good or bad. Supposedly, the UAB has secretly been a staunch ally in the war on terror, and also donated 100 million to Katrina relief, so maybe they aren't the bad guys we are making them out to be?

I don't know. I DO think it's interesting that this issue has the ability to not just knock down party walls, but literally CRUSH them! When was the last time Sean Hannity and Hillary Clinton were on the same side defending against Bush who has the support of the New York Times?

It's a great example of how incredibly complex politics in this Country really are and why it's silly to just toe the party line or blindly defend a platform or candidate solely based on party affiliation.

tony hipchest
02-24-2006, 08:29 PM
It's a great example of how incredibly complex politics in this Country really are and why it's silly to just toe the party line or blindly defend a platform or candidate solely based on party affiliation.

amen. its a shame we are a country divided by just 2 sets of viewpoints

Suitanim
02-24-2006, 08:48 PM
But we really aren't. I voted for Bush, but have broken from his stance numerous times during his Presidency. I'm a social moderate but a fiscal conservative, and Bush is a social conservative and fiscal liberal as far as I can see. My alternative was Kerry who was a fiscal and social liberal, and whenever those two policies ride in the same cart, I can only think of the the quote by the greatest orator and statesman of the 20th Century, Winston Churchill, who so eloquently stated:

"If you aren't a liberal at age 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by age 35, you have no brain"

Suitanim
02-24-2006, 09:16 PM
As a caveat, anyone think THIS might be bad idea?

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,88282,00.html?ESRC=airforce-a.nl

We spend a zillion dollars to develop a completely dominate plane that can literally control the skies for the next 10 years against any comer, friendly or not, then we....sell it?

tony hipchest
02-24-2006, 09:41 PM
As a caveat, anyone think THIS might be bad idea?

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,88282,00.html?ESRC=airforce-a.nl

We spend a zillion dollars to develop a completely dominate plane that can literally control the skies for the next 10 years against any comer, friendly or not, then we....sell it? i work at holloman air force base, home of the stealth f-117 that paved the way to complete and udder dominance of iraq in both wars, plus conflicts with bosnia and afhganistan. now the pentagon wants to ground them in a budget cutting effor to support the war. i already had to lay off 14 employees due to govt. cutbacks for the new fiscal year.

having grown up on air force bases i am a firm believer that jet noise is the sound of freedom.

as a big fan of the f-15 (who were stationned at holloman before the stealths) the f-22 is an awesome jet, one that i hoped replaced the stealths if grounded. the thought of selling our freedom disgusts me.

3 to be 4
02-24-2006, 09:43 PM
face it.....

we're in the shitter. And the dookie is comin' down.

Suitanim
02-24-2006, 09:49 PM
face it.....

we're in the shitter. And the dookie is comin' down.

I doubt it...I remember when David Halberstam published his Doomsday for America book back in the late 80's or early 90's and predicted that the Japanese were going to take the 21st Century from America. He seemed right on at the time, but couldn't be more wrong now...

Stlrs4Life
02-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Here's more on the issue:
http://www.oweb.com/news/story/0223202006_new01.asp

And Rush Limbaugh sucks!

augustashark
02-25-2006, 01:30 AM
No matter what you think of bush, he or any before him would never knowingly put america in harms way. Now i'm not saying that there are decisons made and in hindsight they wished that they would have done things differently. You can go down the line and see that we have 20/20 vision on things like katrina, 911 and having a shot to take down bin laden!

If you think that GW would put his oil buddies and $$ before national security, then no matter what anyone says let alone me would change your mind. The same people that think this are the same people that thought that Clinton dropped bombs to take focus off of the Monica story.

Some of us here may manage people during the day, but lets not forget we do not manage 250 million people. Try to think of what that pressure must feel like! You can't!

3 to be 4
02-25-2006, 06:58 AM
No matter what you think of bush, he or any before him would never knowingly put america in harms way. Now i'm not saying that there are decisons made and in hindsight they wished that they would have done things differently. You can go down the line and see that we have 20/20 vision on things like katrina, 911 and having a shot to take down bin laden!

If you think that GW would put his oil buddies and $$ before national security, then no matter what anyone says let alone me would change your mind. The same people that think this are the same people that thought that Clinton dropped bombs to take focus off of the Monica story.

Some of us here may manage people during the day, but lets not forget we do not manage 250 million people. Try to think of what that pressure must feel like! You can't!

yeah, is not like the pressure of coaching a football team or something:bouncy:

3 to be 4
02-25-2006, 07:05 AM
I doubt it...I remember when David Halberstam published his Doomsday for America book back in the late 80's or early 90's and predicted that the Japanese were going to take the 21st Century from America. He seemed right on at the time, but couldn't be more wrong now...

the heck with Halberstam, just check out the Bible. And watch out for the EU. Its all laid out. The Good news, the Great news, is that where we are going will better than anything we can imagine.

ok, sorry, i forgot for a moment and thought i was on posting on McMillenandwife.com:dang:

my pastor is working on me about using words such as "the shitter":dang: :dang:

SteelerzGirl
02-25-2006, 09:14 PM

Did anyone twist his arm to take the job?

CowherLover
02-25-2006, 09:40 PM
In the best interest of keeping this sane and rational I shouldn't even begin to post what my thoughts are. But because I can't keep my big mouth shut I will say that all of you that voted for this jerk-off because he was going to take away certain rights from certain people, should've realized that the day might come that his self-serving, Harvard hillbilly ass, would do something that might draw your ire such as this. There isn't any need to go into each specific topic, unless you care to, about the ignorant decisions that he's made, or the decisions others have made for him I should say, but his legacy will certainly speak for him. God Bless our troops and their families and everything they have to endure every day, I couldn't imagine going through it every day, but my heart is with you. I didn't vote for Bush either time, but I always hoped he would truly he would have the best interest of the country at heart and I truly don't think he does. Just my opinion.

SteelerzGirl
02-25-2006, 09:46 PM
I don't think he has the best interest of our country at heart either, CowherLover. Bush reminds me of a dumb frat boy. He's got zero intelligence. If he doesn't have a speech which was written for him in front of him to read from, he doesn't know what to say, and that's always evident in his press conferences. He just rambles on and on and on, and then asks, "What was the question again?"

This entire issue is the topic on Meet the Press tomorrow morning in the event anyone is interested in watching.

SteelCityMan786
02-25-2006, 09:50 PM
I don't think he has the best interest of our country at heart either, CowherLover. Bush reminds me of a dumb frat boy. He's got zero intelligence. If he doesn't have a speech which was written for him in front of him to read from, he doesn't know what to say, and that's always evident in his press conferences. He just rambles on and on and on, and then asks, "What was the question again?"

This entire issue is the topic on Meet the Press tomorrow morning in the event anyone is interested in watching.

Look at it this way. He can't be re-elected again. The only way he can be president again is if he is serving the last 2 years of another presidents term. And No this isn't Homeland Secruity. This Is Homeland Dumbassity

SteelerzGirl
02-25-2006, 10:57 PM
You're right, SteelCity. :smile: In the meantime, though, can we cut off his balls for treason? LOL

Stlrs4Life
02-26-2006, 05:43 PM
In the best interest of keeping this sane and rational I shouldn't even begin to post what my thoughts are. But because I can't keep my big mouth shut I will say that all of you that voted for this jerk-off because he was going to take away certain rights from certain people, should've realized that the day might come that his self-serving, Harvard hillbilly ass, would do something that might draw your ire such as this. There isn't any need to go into each specific topic, unless you care to, about the ignorant decisions that he's made, or the decisions others have made for him I should say, but his legacy will certainly speak for him. God Bless our troops and their families and everything they have to endure every day, I couldn't imagine going through it every day, but my heart is with you. I didn't vote for Bush either time, but I always hoped he would truly he would have the best interest of the country at heart and I truly don't think he does. Just my opinion.

Excellent post, I feel your pain.

clevestinks
02-26-2006, 06:26 PM
You're right, SteelCity. :smile: In the meantime, though, can we cut off his balls for treason? LOL
Damn! And I had you pictured as this sweet innocent hottie!

cut off his balls? That hurts just hearing it! LOL

SteelerzGirl
02-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Damn! And I had you pictured as this sweet innocent hottie!

cut off his balls? That hurts just hearing it! LOL

Awww... I'm sorry if I hurt you, Cleve. I didn't mean to. I was just being mischievous last night. Maybe you can have them massaged so they feel better...(lol). :wink:

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2006, 08:29 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: LOL!!!!!!! I have had enough with this Treason. CANCEL THE SALE CANCEL! Points to you Steelerzgrl

Suitanim
02-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Why does it have to be all one way? I don't support Bush in MANY things, but think he was FAR the superior candidate to his challenger (which is the far more profound problem). I get tired and sick to death of this TOTAL partisian split...I don't support the President in every measure, but I support the President. I also supported many of Clinton's views and politics, but not all, and I, in general, supported his as President. I certainly didn't HATE the man and allow blind hate to cloud my vision and somehow convince myself that every single thing he did was wrong.

A great example is this total war on Bush...to suit their needs, his opponents either paint him as a blithering idiot who needs his hand held to make even the smallest decisions, or as the greatest evil genius the world has ever know.

This blind and stupid hatred is doing far more to rip this Country apart than any political party or candidate could ever hope to do, even if the ridiculous notion that one DID NOT have the best interests of the Country in mind were true, which it is not.

Almost as an aside, it looks like this port deal is going to be thoroughly reviewed, the UAB will submit to more scrutiny and security, and the deal willgo through.

Lyn
03-04-2006, 04:26 PM
I feel the pain everyone in this country is feeling. I think we all know men who had served their time and been home for a couple years only to be called up and are currently active military personnel. I will not get into my personal feelings on all of this but we should all take into consideration the fact that every president since Reagan has blood on their hands.

Suitanim
03-04-2006, 07:30 PM
I feel the pain everyone in this country is feeling. I think we all know men who had served their time and been home for a couple years only to be called up and are currently active military personnel. I will not get into my personal feelings on all of this but we should all take into consideration the fact that every president since Reagan has blood on their hands.

Every President since Reagan? I'd say every President since Washington (alright, maybe not Harrison and Garfield) has blood on their hands. It's part of the job. This World isn't Utopia, and it never will be...

3 to be 4
03-04-2006, 10:26 PM
why is it that whenever a female is upset with a male,the first thing they think about is decapitating his sex organs??? lol.....does this have anything to do with penis envy???

uh-oh.. dont do it Master. I know. be nice to Steelerzgirl :bouncy:

Suitanim
03-04-2006, 10:33 PM
I'll say it...many women have penis envy.

There, I said it.

3 to be 4
03-04-2006, 10:40 PM
I'll say it...many women have penis envy.

There, I said it.

:dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang:

Suitanim
03-04-2006, 10:46 PM
I didn't say ALL.

See, I know what I'm doing...

SteelerzGirl
03-05-2006, 10:33 AM
why is it that whenever a female is upset with a male,the first thing they think about is decapitating his sex organs??? lol.....does this have anything to do with penis envy???

Could it be, perhaps, because that's the organ that many men think with most? Notice I said "many" men, not "all" men. :busted: Just kiddin' guys so don't get your panties in a knot...(lol).

I'm quite happy with the equipment the Good Lord gave me, and I do so enjoy a good hot sausage. :smile:

3 to be 4... You're learnin', dude...(lol).

Suit... Nice save!

hardwork
03-15-2006, 09:26 PM
I don't believe this would have been a problem. They weren't buying ports. They were leasing terminals within ports just like an airline leases terminals at Kennedy or Logan, etc. Security at these ports would have still been in our hands and not by just the Coast Guard. Many people don't know but we have Seals, and SF/Delta operatives, working undercover at most of the major ports around the globe. We have for decades. They follow the international shipment of arms, and since 9/11 have been looking for, and following, terrorist related shipments.

This was a political issue and the democrats wanted to use the populations unease towards muslim nations to take away the edge the republicans have regarding the anti-terrorist/military agenda.