PDA

View Full Version : franchise tag on c. hope?

tony hipchest
02-21-2006, 04:53 PM
i heard sheyne and riggins talk about this on sirius. i never really thought of it cause the steelers never franchise their players but this is one case where it makes sense if we couldnt sign him on a long term deal. we could still keep him if the steelers wanted. i think the average top 5 at his position would be around 2-2.5 mil. this may be more than they wanna pay though. but the 2 years hope has been the starter the steelers went 15-1 one season and won the sb the next.

BB2W
02-21-2006, 05:57 PM
I could only find a salary list from 2004 and the average of the top five highest paid safties in the league was 3.28 million, but that may be higher than this years becuase Donovan Darius and Darren Sharper had huge contracts back then.

Petesburgh66
02-21-2006, 06:02 PM
The five highest base salaries among NFL safeties in 2005

Troy Vincent of Buffalo ($2.75 million)
Mike Brown of Chicago ($2.39 million)
Tony Parrish of San Francisco ($2 million)
Adrian Wilson of Arizona ($2 million)
Corey Chavous of Minnesota ($1.9 million)

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/s_425876.html

tony hipchest
02-21-2006, 06:09 PM
The five highest base salaries among NFL safeties in 2005

Troy Vincent of Buffalo ($2.75 million)
Mike Brown of Chicago ($2.39 million)
Tony Parrish of San Francisco ($2 million)
Adrian Wilson of Arizona ($2 million)
Corey Chavous of Minnesota ($1.9 million)

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/s_425876.html thats where i read it too. so the average would probably be right at 2.2 million. im sure the steelers would like to find a cheaper way out but there is a repeat to think about too. i was suprised these #s were so low. im sure we all can agree that polamalu will or SHOULD be the highest paid safety when his contract is up

WWIIOwheelz
02-21-2006, 06:30 PM
im sure we all can agree that polamalu will or SHOULD be the highest paid safety when his contract is up

ZERO doubt. I hope like hell we can keep him.

Stlrs4Life
02-21-2006, 07:24 PM
Here's the latest on Hope:
Free safety Chris Hope remains hopeful a new deal with the Steelers can be hammered out in advance of the NFL's unrestricted free-agency period in March, and he's adamant he deserves a big-league payday, either way.

"I hope to come back," Hope said Monday. "We have a chance to build a dynasty. I think me and (strong safety) Troy (Polamalu), our relationship and they way we play together is very interesting to me. And we're still young in the secondary.

"I love the city, love the way (it) treats the team and I like the organization. But I can't continue to play for less than my worth."
Hope, a fourth-year pro and a two-year starter, earned a base salary of $656,000 in 2005.

"I was a little frustrated coming out of the draft as a third-round pick," in 2002, Hope said. "I feel like I'm behind the eight-ball already."

"I consider myself one of the best safeties in the league. I have to get paid what the best safeties in the league get paid; that's only fair to myself."

Hope declined to reveal specifics about what he's seeking, but added, "I consider myself in the top five at both (the strong and free safety) positions."

The five highest base salaries among NFL safeties in 2005 belonged to Troy Vincent of Buffalo ($2.75 million), Mike Brown of Chicago ($2.39 million), Tony Parrish of San Francisco ($2 million), Adrian Wilson of Arizona ($2 million) and Corey Chavous of Minnesota ($1.9 million).

ESPN.com reported Monday the Steelers have made "verbal overtures" to Hope's agent, Braylon Bennett.

"They've told us that Chris is one of their top targets (to re-sign)," Bennett told ESPN.com. "We're taking them at their word.
"The thing is, without an extension (to the NFL's collective bargaining agreement) doing business will be hard. So we'll see what happens. No matter what, our feeling is that Chris will be the top free-agent safety."

Steelers Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert didn't return phone calls Monday. Hope said Bennett and the Steelers have spoken briefly but not substantially.

"My agent has reached out and tried to talk to them a couple times and they said they'd get back to him, that they'd call back either Friday or Monday," Hope said. "I don't think they've called back"
"It's out of my control, but I'm patient."

Hope is also uncertain how his impending unrestricted free agency will play out.
"I would love to be a Steeler," he said. "The Rooneys, Coach (Bill) Cowher, the whole Steelers organization gave me an opportunity to fulfill a dream of being drafted and playing in the NFL."

However, he knows the reality of today's NFL.
"I know growing up I used to watch players get traded and look at that as a negative thing," Hope added. "In today's game, it's not. "It's a business."

Suitanim
02-21-2006, 07:44 PM
The Steelers have precedent...I believe they hung the franchise tag on Carnell Lake back in the day...

tony hipchest
02-21-2006, 08:07 PM
2.2 mil dont seem that bad even though our backs are to the wall as far as the cap is concerned. (but isnt it always?). sure they may feel theyre over paying, but its only for 1 critical year trying to repeat, and it possibly buys time to hammer out a long term extension if thats the direction they want to go. personally i think our secondary will benifit most with the young guys in a 3rd year of lebeaus system. we will already have to bring along mcfadden. why try to bring along 2 new players in the system if we can limit that to 1

Suitanim
02-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Just checked...we did indeed franchise Carnell back in '95. Looking it up refreshed my recollection as to what a stud that dude was...

Carnell Lake was drafted out of UCLA where he played LINEBACKER! (Never played at more than 213 in the NFL)

He was moved to safety in Pittsburgh and was a stud, so much so that we hung franchise on him.

The starting CB went down in 98 and we moved Lake over to CB and he had a Pro Bowl year.

tony hipchest
02-21-2006, 08:30 PM
funny thing was he gave up a sure bid to the pro-bowl by giving up his safety position and made the pro bowl anyways as rods replacement. perfect example of the type of team players the steelers love. sucked to see him decline in jax.

BB2W
02-21-2006, 10:21 PM
They used a franchise tag on Jason Gildon too, but they were able to resign him before the end of free-agency and they still had the "tag" at their disposal so I don't know if that really counts.

clevestinks
02-22-2006, 06:30 AM
Here's the latest on Hope:
Free safety Chris Hope remains hopeful a new deal with the Steelers can be hammered out in advance of the NFL's unrestricted free-agency period in March, and he's adamant he deserves a big-league payday, either way.

"I hope to come back," Hope said Monday. "We have a chance to build a dynasty. I think me and (strong safety) Troy (Polamalu), our relationship and they way we play together is very interesting to me. And we're still young in the secondary.

Troy makes our defense what it is! Hope is just a descent piece of the puzzle. If it weren`t for our defenses greatness, he would be less than average, in my opinion

tony hipchest
02-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Troy makes our defense what it is! Hope is just a descent piece of the puzzle. If it weren`t for our defenses greatness, he would be less than average, in my opinion i think the players should be paid for what they produce and do in the steelers system, and not be low balled cause they may suck elsewhere. and by the same token the players cant expect to hold the team ransom with their success. especially for defenders, it should be a privilage and honor to play under and learn from cowher and lebeau.

rowedf
02-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Troy definetly is outstanding in our secondary, but on numerous occassions he has commented that he is able to do the things he does because of Hope's style of play and his nature of the game. Addmitingly, Troy is very aggressive, on the opposite, Hope claims to be more cautious in the secondary.......I think the key is keeping them together. If you combine an aggressive FS with Troy, it could be trouble.

clevestinks
02-22-2006, 03:36 PM
i think the players should be paid for what they produce and do in the steelers system, and not be low balled cause they may suck elsewhere. and by the same token the players cant expect to hold the team ransom with their success. especially for defenders, it should be a privilage and honor to play under and learn from cowher and lebeau.
I`m not saying " pay him based on what he would mean to another team" I`m saying that others will offer him more than his worth, expecting all pro play, from an average safety. Our DB`s as a group were only as effective as our blitz dictated. No pressure, Hope was beat. I just think that out of 11 players on defense, he was the weakest

Suitanim
02-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Was talking about this "around the water cooler", and several good points were brought up. Sure Hope showed some poor tackling skills (namely trying to take down big RB's by the shoulder pads), but if we all remember back to the reason he's here he is very valuable to us still.

We got smoked so bad for a couple seasons, teams were just heaping passing yards on us, so we decided to upgrade speed in the secondary. That resulted in Hope, Troy, Ike, Coke and McFadden. All those guys are speedsters, and it's part of the reason we are so improved in passing D. I'm hoping we can broker a deal to keep the entire championship defense together for at least one more year (Meaning we need Hope for reasonable money and Townsend and Kimo to restructure, none of which seems all that likely at this point).

With a true star at QB, and a couple tweaks on the offense, we'd be a legitimate candidate for a repeat.

tony hipchest
02-22-2006, 06:22 PM
it may not be a bad idea to franchise hope. it would give em one more year to bring carter along and draft a safety for depth( use em on special teams) and it gives em a year to learn the system. kinda what i was thinking. sure you over pay a bit, maybe by half a mil or $750,000 but isnt that cash and your best effort to repeat well worth it?

if anyone thinks the steelers are popular now (and the rooneys are making a hell of alot of money off of merchandise sales) imagine if they repeated.

it would also possibly buy time on working out a longer term deal with hope. him making around 2 mil/ year may not look like such a bad deal 4-5 years from now. hes still young and has only been starting for 2 years. id say he has more upside than downside. darren perry (who always played 2nd fiddle to lake) is coaching him and i think hope would develop real well under his teaching. not to mention lebeau and cowher.

clevestinks
02-22-2006, 06:28 PM
With a defense like ours, can we get by with an average safety from FA, we have a great way of making average players great when the get the system