PDA

View Full Version : Dixon Could Give Pittsburgh Reason To Ditch Big Ben

jady
08-28-2010, 07:46 AM
Let’s face the facts about some of the NFL rumors surrounding Steeler Nation. Pittsburgh has been looking for a way to get rid of Ben Roethlisberger behind the scenes all summer. What he did was irreprehensible especially considering that he’s the face of the franchise. But I’m not here to talk about morals. I want to talk about the future of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Roethlisberger is one of the best quarterbacks in the league right now. You can’t deny that. What I won’t deny is the rumor that the Steelers, and the city of Pittsburgh, want to get rid of him. So why hasn’t this movement gained any steam yet?

He threw for 4,328 yards (7th) and 26 touchdowns (10th) in the 2009 NFL betting season, but what really defines Roethlisberger is his uncanny, Elway-esque leadership and his staggering combination of size and mobility. Sure, he gets sacked a ton, but Big Ben moves like a 6-foot-5, 241 pound ninja on some Sundays.

On top of all that he’s just 28, entering his physical prime with two Super Bowl victories already in his pocket. Yet, this whole suspension thing is just too weird. For a guy as charming and well spoken as he is, Roethlisberger’s name pops up in one-too-many rape charges (and in all honesty, one is too many). The Steelers have to decide whether or not to dump a ticking time bomb like Roethlisberger or hope to God that he has truly rehabilitated. NFL jerseys (http://www.andjersey.com)

Roethlisberger is definitely going to miss the first four games of the season, though NFL rumors seem to persist that the league will give him the max suspension of six games to set an example. The bad part is that that’s the easy part of their tough schedule. The second half of the season gets definitively much more difficult.

Essentially, if Roethlisberger is gone for the season, then he has cost the Steelers the entire 2010 NFL betting season. Can the franchise really risk him costing them more? Professional sports is a “what have you done for more lately” environment after all. If all Ben has done lately is get in to trouble with the law and botched the entire 2010 NFL betting season all together, then I’m not sure if fans would be able to forgive him. Will the fans be that patient with him?

In most cases I’d say “yes”, but this is Pittsburgh we’re talking about. If there was ever a city that epitomized the phrase “blue collar” amongst NFL cities, it’s Pittsburgh.

And here’s the rub – I think fans in Pittsburgh would want Ben Roethlisberger out of town if they knew they had someone waiting in the wings. I genuinely think that. One of the only reasons that a city would accept Roethlisberger after what he did is because they love football that damn much. If there was an heir apparent in Pittsburgh, he would be the rallying point for the fans.wholesale nfl jerseys (http://www.nflwholesalejerseys.com)

That’s where Dennis Dixon comes in.

Pittsburgh, and NFL betting circles, really don’t know that much about the former Oregon Duck. He’s a 6-foot-3, 209 pound run-and-gunner who was a good enough athlete to be considered by the Chicago Cubs as a pitcher. Boasting a great arm, and smart feet, Dixon could be the quarterback of the future for Pittsburgh.

He’s just never gotten the chance until now. The one time we saw Dixon last season was in the 20-17 overtime loss to the Baltimore Ravens. Dixon went 12-for-26 with 145 yards and 2 touchdowns, though his late interception basically cost the Steelers the game. Yet, those of you that remember that game will also recount just how much pressure Dixon was under with the Steelers’ fledgling playoff hopes hanging on every one of his passes.

Did he play a great game? Not really. Was he outright terrible? Not at all. Has he had a chance to be the main man in two years? Not with Roethlisberger standing in the way.

Now Big Ben is out of the way and Dixon is finally getting first-team reps alongside Byron Leftwich. Sorry to say this about the plucky Leftwich, but he’s had the last four NFL seasons to prove he’s an NFL starter. Now we know for sure that he isn’t, especially at 30-years old.

If you’ve made it this far, you probably have as many questions about Dixon as any other Pittsburgh Steelers fan grazing the NFL rumor mill. For those of you who are just rolling your eyes at this, let’s also put things in to perspective.

Nobody expected Young to be as good as Montana. Nobody knew who Brady was when he replaced the beloved Drew Bledsoe. Same with Craig Morton and Roger Staubach. Nobody though Kerry Collins would lead the Titans on a miraculous role in 2008 when Vince Young lost his mind, and same goes for Kurt Warner when he took over for Matt Leinart in Arizona.

You never know what to expect out of backup quarterbacks, aside from the unexpected.

It’s not like Dixon is playing some impossible foes should he win the starting bid. The Steelers face Atlanta, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Cleveland and Miami in that order for the first six games of the season, which includes a Week 5 bye. Not a cake walk, but if anything it will prove how much resolve Dixon has.

And if Dixon takes full advantage of those chances, and earns the top spot on the depth chart like NFL rumors are insisting he can, Big Ben may have played his last game in Pittsburgh already.

Bet on the Pittsburgh Steelers and all your favorite AFC Teams in AFC Championship odds here!

DanRooney
08-28-2010, 07:50 AM
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5541/homerfacepalm.jpg (http://img713.imageshack.us/i/homerfacepalm.jpg/)

DanRooney
08-28-2010, 07:53 AM
You never know Curtis Painter could become the Colts franchise. I mean it's not his fault Manning decided to throw the Jets game last season. He only had 20 minutes to prepare.

steelrush
08-28-2010, 09:05 AM
You made some valid points indeed in your thread which, by the way, was a great read. :thumbsup:
My opinion on the matter is that Ben isn’t on the “we want to get you outta way/town” list but rather on the “we’ll see if what you said will be practiced/executed” one. That much is certain, counting what mr. A.J.R II stated.
Ben is wanted still. It’s just up to him. That – for me – appears to be the case.

The Lakelander
08-28-2010, 10:12 AM
You never know Curtis Painter could become the Colts franchise. I mean it's not his fault Manning decided to throw the Jets game last season. He only had 20 minutes to prepare.

:chuckle:

LVSteelersfan
08-28-2010, 10:38 AM
That would be a big NO WAY. Dixon can't carry Ben's jock. If they ship Ben out for some incomprehensible reason (he was never charged or arrested for anything) then they will have to try to draft a franchise QB. Dixon is not the kind of QB who will take the Steelers above .500. You want to see 6-10, 7-9 or 8-8 seasons with no playoffs, then Dixon is your man. It has been shown again and again with these running QBs (Randall Cunningham, Michael Vick, Kordell Stewart, etc.) that they never learn to read defenses, don't go through their progressions and take off like a scared jackrabbit before the play even breaks down. Sure they have some big splash plays but it takes consistency moving drives down the field by your field general to win big games.

I don't know what it is about this love for Dennis Dixon. He has proved nothing. His only start was mediocre at best and he blew the game by throwing an INT. Why people keep saying he did so well with only a few days to get ready is beyond me. HE LOST THE GAME WHICH COST US THE PLAYOFFS AS MUCH AS REED MISSING THOSE FIELD GOALS IN CHICAGO.

Ben is the franchise QB. Ben is the only one who will lead this team anywhere. Dixon is Kordell Stewart revisited.

Let’s face the facts about some of the NFL rumors surrounding Steeler Nation. Pittsburgh has been looking for a way to get rid of Ben Roethlisberger behind the scenes all summer. What he did was irreprehensible especially considering that he’s the face of the franchise. But I’m not here to talk about morals. I want to talk about the future of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Roethlisberger is one of the best quarterbacks in the league right now. You can’t deny that. What I won’t deny is the rumor that the Steelers, and the city of Pittsburgh, want to get rid of him. So why hasn’t this movement gained any steam yet?

He threw for 4,328 yards (7th) and 26 touchdowns (10th) in the 2009 NFL betting season, but what really defines Roethlisberger is his uncanny, Elway-esque leadership and his staggering combination of size and mobility. Sure, he gets sacked a ton, but Big Ben moves like a 6-foot-5, 241 pound ninja on some Sundays.

On top of all that he’s just 28, entering his physical prime with two Super Bowl victories already in his pocket. Yet, this whole suspension thing is just too weird. For a guy as charming and well spoken as he is, Roethlisberger’s name pops up in one-too-many rape charges (and in all honesty, one is too many). The Steelers have to decide whether or not to dump a ticking time bomb like Roethlisberger or hope to God that he has truly rehabilitated. NFL jerseys (http://www.andjersey.com)

Roethlisberger is definitely going to miss the first four games of the season, though NFL rumors seem to persist that the league will give him the max suspension of six games to set an example. The bad part is that that’s the easy part of their tough schedule. The second half of the season gets definitively much more difficult.

Essentially, if Roethlisberger is gone for the season, then he has cost the Steelers the entire 2010 NFL betting season. Can the franchise really risk him costing them more? Professional sports is a “what have you done for more lately” environment after all. If all Ben has done lately is get in to trouble with the law and botched the entire 2010 NFL betting season all together, then I’m not sure if fans would be able to forgive him. Will the fans be that patient with him?

In most cases I’d say “yes”, but this is Pittsburgh we’re talking about. If there was ever a city that epitomized the phrase “blue collar” amongst NFL cities, it’s Pittsburgh.

And here’s the rub – I think fans in Pittsburgh would want Ben Roethlisberger out of town if they knew they had someone waiting in the wings. I genuinely think that. One of the only reasons that a city would accept Roethlisberger after what he did is because they love football that damn much. If there was an heir apparent in Pittsburgh, he would be the rallying point for the fans.wholesale nfl jerseys (http://www.nflwholesalejerseys.com)

Pittsburgh, and NFL betting circles, really don’t know that much about the former Oregon Duck. He’s a 6-foot-3, 209 pound run-and-gunner who was a good enough athlete to be considered by the Chicago Cubs as a pitcher. Boasting a great arm, and smart feet, Dixon could be the quarterback of the future for Pittsburgh.

He’s just never gotten the chance until now. The one time we saw Dixon last season was in the 20-17 overtime loss to the Baltimore Ravens. Dixon went 12-for-26 with 145 yards and 2 touchdowns, though his late interception basically cost the Steelers the game. Yet, those of you that remember that game will also recount just how much pressure Dixon was under with the Steelers’ fledgling playoff hopes hanging on every one of his passes.

Did he play a great game? Not really. Was he outright terrible? Not at all. Has he had a chance to be the main man in two years? Not with Roethlisberger standing in the way.

Now Big Ben is out of the way and Dixon is finally getting first-team reps alongside Byron Leftwich. Sorry to say this about the plucky Leftwich, but he’s had the last four NFL seasons to prove he’s an NFL starter. Now we know for sure that he isn’t, especially at 30-years old.

If you’ve made it this far, you probably have as many questions about Dixon as any other Pittsburgh Steelers fan grazing the NFL rumor mill. For those of you who are just rolling your eyes at this, let’s also put things in to perspective.

Nobody expected Young to be as good as Montana. Nobody knew who Brady was when he replaced the beloved Drew Bledsoe. Same with Craig Morton and Roger Staubach. Nobody though Kerry Collins would lead the Titans on a miraculous role in 2008 when Vince Young lost his mind, and same goes for Kurt Warner when he took over for Matt Leinart in Arizona.

You never know what to expect out of backup quarterbacks, aside from the unexpected.

It’s not like Dixon is playing some impossible foes should he win the starting bid. The Steelers face Atlanta, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Cleveland and Miami in that order for the first six games of the season, which includes a Week 5 bye. Not a cake walk, but if anything it will prove how much resolve Dixon has.

And if Dixon takes full advantage of those chances, and earns the top spot on the depth chart like NFL rumors are insisting he can, Big Ben may have played his last game in Pittsburgh already.

Bet on the Pittsburgh Steelers and all your favorite AFC Teams in AFC Championship odds here!

whatdoiknow
08-28-2010, 10:55 AM
The majority of TRUE Steeler fans are supporting Ben. The Steelers in NO WAY were never considering trading Ben Roethlisberger. How do I know this ?,...Cause Kevin Colbert held a NATIONAL press conference to rebuke it, that's how. Morals are personal to each Individual. But the LAW is the LAW, and Ben broke NO LAWS!! Now maybe the Rooney's were upset cause they thought Ben was putting himself out there again to BE accused again after the Nevada Incident,,,which we all now know was completely Bogus. But at that time, it was still pending. So under that I understand, and say Ben WAS Immature. But we have went over this and over this,,,I...and MANY others feel Ben's 6 game suspension was way too long, even if it is reduced to 4, and it was based TOTALLY on the fact that Ben was a High Profile WHITE player,,,which IS completely true. But either way, it is over, Ben, even though he disagrees with the decision has accepted it to promote Harmony. And not Unless a Video comes out with a naked Ben with Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan in a Hotel Bed with a mountain of Cocaine...Ben AIN'T never even being considered by Pittsburgh to be traded.

EPMD
08-28-2010, 11:04 AM
"Let’s face the facts about some of the NFL rumors surrounding Steeler Nation. Pittsburgh has been looking for a way to get rid of Ben Roethlisberger behind the scenes all summer."

Now that's some really bad analysis which led to an equally bad post. There is absolutely no proof to what is accepted as fact in the post about the Steelers' intentions with Ben, and exactly what facts are there to gather from rumors anyway...??? The idea that ANY team would give up on a 2-time SB winning QB based on unprovable allegations, and then hand the team over to an unproven - though exciting - youngster, is absolute fantasy. Add to that the fact that the same QB followed up a SB-winning season with a personal-best season, and you pretty much need dynamite to get Big Ben bounced outta Pittsburgh. There's no doubt that Ben's actions were an embarrassement and that he needs to make a permanent change to that aspect of his life NOW, or he will be gone. But The original poster who claims that Ben is already on his way out of town actually provides more justification to believe that Ben's here to stay:

"He threw for 4,328 yards (7th) and 26 touchdowns (10th) in the 2009 NFL betting season, but what really defines Roethlisberger is his uncanny, Elway-esque leadership and his staggering combination of size and mobility. Sure, he gets sacked a ton, but Big Ben moves like a 6-foot-5, 241 pound ninja on some Sundays."

Ben ain't goin' anywhere. Just deal with it. But this issue will hound Ben and the Steelers all year long and into next spring, since some people just can't seem to let it go. And it tends to be fans of other teams, as it seems to me we have a Denver troll on the board angling for a way to get Ben into a Broncos uni.

There'll be more of these trade rumors at the "owner's meetings" after the Super Bowl, unless Ben does something really cool to kill all these ridiculous ruminations. Something cool like... win a 3rd Super Bowl championship.

StainlessStill
08-28-2010, 11:25 AM

Wow, so dumb. Tons of wasted effort of brainstorming the Ben situation when in reality, you're own observation on this whole matter is nothing short of delusion and a figment of your own imagination. Funny that this is about Dixon being the Steelers offseason savior when he's not even going to start in week 1.

Attempt: A.
Execution: F.

stb_steeler
08-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Jady must have gotten banned for another Ben thread. Didnt agree with anything on this subject. Lets just get ready for some damn football, thats the past now lets move on to the future. :doh:

steeltheone
08-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Franchise Quarterbacks don't grow on tree's

Griff
08-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Jady must have gotten banned for another Ben thread. Didnt agree with anything on this subject. Lets just get ready for some damn football, thats the past now lets move on to the future. :doh:

I think she (?) got banned for sneaking the spam links into her posts. I'd hate to think wanting Ben traded would be a bannable offense. He has put us in a bad position for 5 games plus probable rust after that. Dixon is exciting but it would be way overly optimistic to think he'd figure it all out this year. I just hope we are able to run the ball, while Ben's mess gets sorted out. The only reason I responded to this thread was that the Ben-can-do-no-wrong crowd needs to know that there are long-time Steeler fans who don't buy into the blind faith. That said, let's move on and play some friggin football! :tt04:

Downbylaw
08-28-2010, 02:43 PM
That would be a big NO WAY. Dixon can't carry Ben's jock. If they ship Ben out for some incomprehensible reason (he was never charged or arrested for anything) then they will have to try to draft a franchise QB. Dixon is not the kind of QB who will take the Steelers above .500. You want to see 6-10, 7-9 or 8-8 seasons with no playoffs, then Dixon is your man. It has been shown again and again with these running QBs (Randall Cunningham, Michael Vick, Kordell Stewart, etc.) that they never learn to read defenses, don't go through their progressions and take off like a scared jackrabbit before the play even breaks down. Sure they have some big splash plays but it takes consistency moving drives down the field by your field general to win big games.

I don't know what it is about this love for Dennis Dixon. He has proved nothing. His only start was mediocre at best and he blew the game by throwing an INT. Why people keep saying he did so well with only a few days to get ready is beyond me. HE LOST THE GAME WHICH COST US THE PLAYOFFS AS MUCH AS REED MISSING THOSE FIELD GOALS IN CHICAGO.

Ben is the franchise QB. Ben is the only one who will lead this team anywhere. Dixon is Kordell Stewart revisited.

Randall Cunningham is a former league MVP. Just sayin

Downbylaw
08-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Bro, these guys have Ben-itis. No matter what the guy does there is ALWAYS an excuse for it.
If he throws a pick "Its Arians fault we should have ran the ball",
If he is suspended "Its Goodell's fault he is punishing Ben because he is white".
If he lets the team down with dumb decionmaking "Its not Bens fault, the media did this"
If he is sacked and takes up out of fg range "Our line sucks. So what they gave him 5 seconds, it should have ben 10 seconds"
If he is accused of rape "She had a DTF button on, she wanted it"
If he wrecks his bike and almost dies disobeying coach cowher "Cowher should have rode with him and made sure his helmet was on. cowher is an idiot"
If we miss the playoffs "The defense sucks. Ben is our franchise qb and he put us in positon to win"
If he throws a pick in the redzone "His arm got hit"
If he has bad stats in the Super Bowl "Ben led us there plus remember that tackle vs the Colts"
If Ben slides head 1st instead of butt 1st and suffers a concussion. Ben is not dumb "Its the chiefs defenders fault for having long laces on his cleats"
If Ben fumbles "Frickin Mike Tomlin shook Bens hand and got Afro Sheen on them"

GET IT?
BEN CAN DO NO WRONG

tony hipchest
08-28-2010, 02:57 PM
youre gonna have banneditis.

GET IT?

Downbylaw
08-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Banned for what? Are we power tripping?

SteelCityMom
08-28-2010, 03:23 PM
I think she (?) got banned for sneaking the spam links into her posts. I'd hate to think wanting Ben traded would be a bannable offense.

Yes, you are correct. That person was just disguising spam sites with football talk. When I looked up the IP address it went to Bejing or something like that.

And no, no one will ever be banned for their opinions on Ben or any other player.

SteelCityMom
08-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Bro, these guys have Ben-itis. No matter what the guy does there is ALWAYS an excuse for it.
If he is suspended "Its Goodell's fault he is punishing Ben because he is white".
If he lets the team down with dumb decionmaking "Its not Bens fault, the media did this"
If he is sacked and takes up out of fg range "Our line sucks. So what they gave him 5 seconds, it should have ben 10 seconds"
If he wrecks his bike and almost dies disobeying coach cowher "Cowher should have rode with him and made sure his helmet was on. cowher is an idiot"
If we miss the playoffs "The defense sucks. Ben is our franchise qb and he put us in positon to win"
If he has bad stats in the Super Bowl "Ben led us there plus remember that tackle vs the Colts"
If Ben slides head 1st instead of butt 1st and suffers a concussion. Ben is not dumb "Its the chiefs defenders fault for having long laces on his cleats"

GET IT?
BEN CAN DO NO WRONG

It would do you well to remember that if you want people to respect your opinions, you need to respect others. I don't expect everyone to like each other opinions on everything, but there's no need to hijack every thread to bring up the same topic over and over again. It gets old and redundant.

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Banned for what? Are we power tripping?

For being a fxxking tool.....

tony hipchest
08-28-2010, 04:13 PM

good call. :thumbsup:

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-28-2010, 04:13 PM

In all the Steelers forums I have frequented (including this one), I have never heard ANY steeler fan ever suggest something like this.

We often blame Arians for not putting together a more dominant running game, and for calling boneheaded plays at times, but nobody said Ben throwing an interception is Arians' fault.

If there was some isolated instance as such, maybe there was a reason to blame Arians? You would have to actually provide the example, along with proper contextual clues for us to make a judgement on this one.

Well, was Ben even charged with anything? I didn't think so...

WTF? Please provide example, along with contextual clues.

If the play required 10 seconds for the receivers to run their routes, then, yes, the failure would be on the Oline. Football 101.

Nope, the consensus I have heard is that we don't know what happened to be sure, but that the circumstances don't favor the accuser in either case.

Again, I have never heard this on CBS Sportsline, Steelers Fever, Steelers *******, or the Steelers official webpage's forums.

The general pattern I am seeing here is that you, much like a hater, find all the worst isolated cases of homerism you can find about Ben, and then attribute those quotes to the whole fanbase as a whole.

Browns, Bengals, and Ravens fans do this to us all the time, as well as morons who are "down by law".

When the defense blows late-game leads against the likes of the Chiefs, Raiders, and Packers, who else are we to blame? WHen the defense allows teams to make huge comeback wins in the 4th quarter 5 times in one season, who are we to blame? Again, football 101.

More of the same.

Isn't that true?

GET IT?
BEN CAN DO NO WRONG[/QUOTE]

We get it-- you don't like Ben, and anybody who sticks up for him.

pancake
08-28-2010, 04:15 PM
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5541/homerfacepalm.jpg (http://img713.imageshack.us/i/homerfacepalm.jpg/)

Thanks DR... :toofunny:

I wouldn't get rid of Ben so Slash II can take over. :coffee:

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-28-2010, 04:16 PM
And reading the OP for this thread-- I wasted 2 minutes of my life that I will never get back....

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Suggesting that Dixon is going to supplant Big Ben after one mediocre regular season performance and a couple of descent preseason performances, reminds me of the way Jets fans think they are going to the Superbowl after a mediocre 9-7 season....

Fire Arians
08-28-2010, 05:04 PM
dixon will have to play like the next joe montana to unseat ben

LVSteelersfan
08-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Randall Cunningham is a former league MVP. Just sayin

Randall Cunningham was former league MVP because he had two superstar receivers who could not be covered. All he did was throw the ball up for grabs and Moss would come down with it. I liked Randall Cunningham because he played at UNLV but he was never close to an elite QB in the league. He was fun to watch but never took any of his teams to the trophy. Just sayin.

LVSteelersfan
08-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Suggesting that Dixon is going to supplant Big Ben after one mediocre regular season performance and a couple of descent preseason performances, reminds me of the way Jets fans think they are going to the Superbowl after a mediocre 9-7 season....

I am glad someone agrees with me that Dixon's performance against the Ravens was mediocre. He had bad passing stats and lost the game for the Steelers throwing the ball up for grabs. As I said, he will show flashes of brilliance, but you have to be consistently good in the NFL or it turns into losses. And he is a .500 win percentage QB if there ever was one.

stb_steeler
08-28-2010, 05:51 PM

GET IT?
BEN CAN DO NO WRONG

BEN RULES!!! GET IT? :thumbsup:

Stinky Fred
08-28-2010, 08:01 PM
That would be a big NO WAY. Dixon can't carry Ben's jock. .

Bull@#$%.

Dixon was a Heisman candidate until he blew his knee out. He would have been a top 10 pick and probably one of the better starters in the league by now. We lucked out to get him and the brass knows it. Dixon was ready fro pro football when he was drafted because he excelled in a pro set at Oregon.

Ben was a marshmallow out of Miami that didn't have the stamina to go a full NFL season. I don't mean to minimize what Ben has accomplished, because he has done some feats. But he wasn't one bit better a prospect than Dixon. Under similar circumstances, Dixon would have done as well or better because he was further along in pro development and a better athlete

One need look no further than the national spotlight Dixon found himself under last year in Baltimore with a mere 24 hours notice. The kid had the rats on the ropes in their house.

If Dixon gets the call in the opener, I believe we'll do very well if not outright win all 4..

BTW, I happen to agree with the OP... http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=836141&postcount=18

Personally I'd love to see Ben in Az.

Downbylaw
08-28-2010, 11:18 PM

So a Mod tells me I should respect others. I have no problem with that and for the most part you dont see me calling other bloggers names. They just dont like my opinions. Thats fine, no harm no foul. But when I get disrespected its encouraged by Mods. How does that work?

Downbylaw
08-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Randall Cunningham was former league MVP because he had two superstar receivers who could not be covered. All he did was throw the ball up for grabs and Moss would come down with it. I liked Randall Cunningham because he played at UNLV but he was never close to an elite QB in the league. He was fun to watch but never took any of his teams to the trophy. Just sayin.

I agree with you. Randall is not good. I agree. If Randall did take any of his teams to the Trophy you wouldnt give him credit as your post just proves. Facts are he put up the stats and was an MVP. You say it was due to Moss/Carter etc. I agree and I see your logic. So our qbs success has nothing to do with our defense? Well to that I say, he played lights out last year and the defense didnt and we went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. "Our qb" goes for Dixon, Batch, Ben and Leftwich. Their success has a lot to do with our Defense. Look how good Leftwich played for us in 08. Was it him or the aid of our defense. Look at his stats in Tampa with the absence of a good defense for your answer.

Downbylaw
08-28-2010, 11:27 PM
In all the Steelers forums I have frequented (including this one), I have never heard ANY steeler fan ever suggest something like this.

We often blame Arians for not putting together a more dominant running game, and for calling boneheaded plays at times, but nobody said Ben throwing an interception is Arians' fault.

If there was some isolated instance as such, maybe there was a reason to blame Arians? You would have to actually provide the example, along with proper contextual clues for us to make a judgement on this one.

Well, was Ben even charged with anything? I didn't think so...

WTF? Please provide example, along with contextual clues.

If the play required 10 seconds for the receivers to run their routes, then, yes, the failure would be on the Oline. Football 101.

Nope, the consensus I have heard is that we don't know what happened to be sure, but that the circumstances don't favor the accuser in either case.

Again, I have never heard this on CBS Sportsline, Steelers Fever, Steelers *******, or the Steelers official webpage's forums.

The general pattern I am seeing here is that you, much like a hater, find all the worst isolated cases of homerism you can find about Ben, and then attribute those quotes to the whole fanbase as a whole.

Browns, Bengals, and Ravens fans do this to us all the time, as well as morons who are "down by law".

When the defense blows late-game leads against the likes of the Chiefs, Raiders, and Packers, who else are we to blame? WHen the defense allows teams to make huge comeback wins in the 4th quarter 5 times in one season, who are we to blame? Again, football 101.

More of the same.

Isn't that true?

GET IT?
BEN CAN DO NO WRONG

We get it-- you don't like Ben, and anybody who sticks up for him.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I DO like Ben. I say BEN IS GOOD. If you dont like someone you wouldnt give him any credit. Fact is YOU dont like anyone criticizing him.

MasterOfPuppets
08-28-2010, 11:29 PM
i remember kordell playing on some teams that had defense and running games in the top of the league ... how many sb's did that translate too ?

Downbylaw
08-28-2010, 11:30 PM
I think that Downbylaw is a gigantic f u c k ing retard.

Once again. Disrespect unchecked. Interesting

Downbylaw
08-28-2010, 11:31 PM
i remember kordell playing on some teams that had defense and running games in the top of the league ... how many sb's did that translate too ?

You are right but none to the degree that Ben had. Is Ben better than Kordell? Of course he is. But Ben DID win a SB without doing anyting. Funny how you guys forget that.

StainlessStill
08-28-2010, 11:50 PM
But Ben DID win a SB without doing anyting. Funny how you guys forget that.

I think someone needs to go back and watch that post-season all over again in that 2005 season, as well as key come from behind victories that year (@ San Diego, Baltimore) AS WELL AS 2008. Our running game was basically non existent and we rode Bens arm to Super Bowl XL. Granted, he didn't have a good game, a very bad performance a matter of fact, but substitute the fact that he was the youngest QB to man the position at the time and Pittsburgh's first trip to the SB since '95 and the amount of pressure could get inside a young man's head.

Here were Bens numbers compared to our running game in each one of those playoff games:

@ Cincinnati

Ben Roethlisberger 14-19 208 yards 3 TD's
Jerome Bettis 10 carries, 52 yards

@ Indianapolis
Ben Roethlisberger 14-24 200 yards 2 TD's
Willie Parker 17 carries, 59 yards

@ Denver
Ben Roethisberger 21-29 279 yards 2 TD's
Jerome Bettis 15 carries, 39 yards

Super Bowl XL
Ben Roethlisberger 9-21 123 yards 1 rushing TD
Willie Parker 10 carries, 93 yards

We rode Ben's arm to Super Bowl XL regardless of his effort in XL. If you go back and watch, you'll realize that REAL QUICK.

MasterOfPuppets
08-28-2010, 11:55 PM
You are right but none to the degree that Ben had. Is Ben better than Kordell? Of course he is. But Ben DID win a SB without doing anyting. Funny how you guys forget that.

and kordell didn't get to the superbowl, because he played like garbage in the playoffs ...:noidea:

Wallace108
08-29-2010, 12:00 AM

It's funny how you forget we didn't win a Super Bowl between the Bradshaw and Big Ben eras. Is Ben the greatest QB ever? No. Is he the best QB playing today? No. Is he ONE of the best in the game today and are we happy to have him? You bet your ass. If you can't at least agree with that, then go cheer for the Browns.

SteelCityMom
08-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Once again. Disrespect unchecked. Interesting

Ummm...excuse me, I deleted that post. Could you PLEASE relax.

In fact...go read the new mods thread which specifically states that if you have a problem, either report it or PM one of us about it.

Whining about something that MAYBE a mod didn't see yet will get you nowhere. You'll find I'm very willing to deal with any problems anyone has the best I can. But we JUST became mods last night and I've spent most of that time figuring different things out. That means I don't catch every post as it happens (and most likely rarely will). Keep that in mind next time please.

Downbylaw
08-29-2010, 07:53 AM
I think someone needs to go back and watch that post-season all over again in that 2005 season, as well as key come from behind victories that year (@ San Diego, Baltimore) AS WELL AS 2008. Our running game was basically non existent and we rode Bens arm to Super Bowl XL. Granted, he didn't have a good game, a very bad performance a matter of fact, but substitute the fact that he was the youngest QB to man the position at the time and Pittsburgh's first trip to the SB since '95 and the amount of pressure could get inside a young man's head.

Here were Bens numbers compared to our running game in each one of those playoff games:

@ Cincinnati

Ben Roethlisberger 14-19 208 yards 3 TD's
Jerome Bettis 10 carries, 52 yards

@ Indianapolis
Ben Roethlisberger 14-24 200 yards 2 TD's
Willie Parker 17 carries, 59 yards

@ Denver
Ben Roethisberger 21-29 279 yards 2 TD's
Jerome Bettis 15 carries, 39 yards

Super Bowl XL
Ben Roethlisberger 9-21 123 yards 1 rushing TD
Willie Parker 10 carries, 93 yards

We rode Ben's arm to Super Bowl XL regardless of his effort in XL. If you go back and watch, you'll realize that REAL QUICK.

Just like we Rode Neils in 95. Only Neil had a bad game in SB30 and we lost. Had we played a better team than the Seahawks Bens pre Super Bowl stats wouldnt have mattered now would they? Do you credit Neil O'donnell for his effeciency pre SB 30? No you dont, the only thing that matters is THE SUPER BOWL. Thats what he is remembered for not what he did prior to it.

Downbylaw
08-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Ummm...excuse me, I deleted that post. Could you PLEASE relax.

In fact...go read the new mods thread which specifically states that if you have a problem, either report it or PM one of us about it.

Whining about something that MAYBE a mod didn't see yet will get you nowhere. You'll find I'm very willing to deal with any problems anyone has the best I can. But we JUST became mods last night and I've spent most of that time figuring different things out. That means I don't catch every post as it happens (and most likely rarely will). Keep that in mind next time please.

I will and thank you for the reminder. At least you are fair and not on a power trip. I respect that. I'm not whinning really I'm not, it just seems that no one has to report my posts, they is an obvious bias towards me for my opinions regarding Ben. Sorry its not a perfect world, we cant all think alike. I have NO ill feelings for anyone and their opinions and I dont understand why it cant be the same with me. I do appreciate your patience and instruction, I will implement the knowledge in the future. Thank you.

StainlessStill
08-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Had we played a better team than the Seahawks Bens pre Super Bowl stats wouldnt have mattered now would they?

A moot point and non-debatable. Sorry. (And was there a better team than the Seahawks in the NFC? They were the 1st seed and went 13-3 in 2005. Who would have been a better team?)

the only thing that matters is THE SUPER BOWL.
Yes, and we won it, so what's the problem?

Just like we Rode Neils in 95. Only Neil had a bad game in SB30 and we lost.

Way to sway the argument into irrelevancy. What you just said has nothing to do with anything. We aren't talking about O'Donnell or Super Bowl 30. But you have ONE important statement in there that tells the story. "AND WE LOST." And why did we lose?

Do you credit Neil O'donnell for his effeciency pre SB 30? No you dont

No, I don't. You know why? Because we aren't talking about Neil O'Donnell and the 1995 Pittsburgh Steelers. Not to argue the irrelevancy of your argument, but I'd be the first to say that N.O was underrated and played very every well in each season he played with the Steelers. He had a big arm and threw us into success. Problem was, is that he was just okay and he literally threw the Super Bowl with 2 throws. He will always be defined by that. Just the way it is. Ben won 2 Super Bowls, PERIOD.

I don't know what anyone's beef with Ben is on the field, the dude is a upright winner and he catapulted us in finally getting over the hump within all those years of the missing ingredient in reaching and winning the Super Bowl. If you can't see that, then you're f*cking blind.

stb_steeler
08-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Way to sway the argument into irrelevancy. What you just said has nothing to do with anything. We aren't talking about NO or Super Bowl 30. I don't know what anyone's beef with Ben is on the field, the dude is a upright winner and he catapulted us in finally getting over the hump within all those years of the missing ingredient in reaching and winning the Super Bowl. If you can't see that, then you're f*cking blind.

Im still stuck on the idea where he thinks Ben hasnt done much to get us to the SB......U freakin kidding me!. I understand if he doesnt care for Ben that much, but to say he hasnt done much for this team is idiotic at best. Go ride the Browns wagon then!

SteelCityMom
08-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Hey guys, lets keep a little civility here. I'm all for arguing the point at hand, but let's not take the attacks too far. Thanks.

LVSteelersfan
08-29-2010, 12:23 PM
There really is no argument here. Dixon will not take Ben's job from him. Dixon will be just another Tavaris Jackson, Seneca Wallace type "BACKUP" QB in this league. He will get a start now and again like Batch did when Ben got hurt. Nothing more. If something happens to Ben to take him out of the league (another concussion) , the Steelers will have to draft another QB in the first round to find his replacement or end up being a .500 team until they do. Ben is one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL.

Downbylaw
08-29-2010, 01:44 PM
A moot point and non-debatable. Sorry. (And was there a better team than the Seahawks in the NFC? They were the 1st seed and went 13-3 in 2005. Who would have been a better team?)

Yes, and we won it, so what's the problem?

Way to sway the argument into irrelevancy. What you just said has nothing to do with anything. We aren't talking about O'Donnell or Super Bowl 30. But you have ONE important statement in there that tells the story. "AND WE LOST." And why did we lose?

No, I don't. You know why? Because we aren't talking about Neil O'Donnell and the 1995 Pittsburgh Steelers. Not to argue the irrelevancy of your argument, but I'd be the first to say that N.O was underrated and played very every well in each season he played with the Steelers. He had a big arm and threw us into success. Problem was, is that he was just okay and he literally threw the Super Bowl with 2 throws. He will always be defined by that. Just the way it is. Ben won 2 Super Bowls, PERIOD.

I don't know what anyone's beef with Ben is on the field, the dude is a upright winner and he catapulted us in finally getting over the hump within all those years of the missing ingredient in reaching and winning the Super Bowl. If you can't see that, then you're f*cking blind.

No purist would say that the Seahawks played up to snuff that day. In fact they played like a nervous team. By far their worst game of the season.

2. How is O'donnell irrelevant? He played badly and we lost because of his play and to a better team. Ties in with my 1st point. Had we played a better team due to the Qb's play in SB 40 we would have suffered the same fate. You disagree? Had we played Green Bay and Favre, we lose (If our qb plays the same). In 95 we played one of the best teams in the history of the league. Oh by the way, we were losing BEFORE O'donell's costly picks. Thats the difference. In 40 we had the lead minus any help from the qb. In 43, Harrison gets a TD and we are leading 20-7 with our qb passing for 68 yards. So as you see it doesnt take much from the qb and we will still win. There would have been no need to COME BACK had we gotten some productivity from the offense.

3. You can say BEN won 2 Super Bowls. I will say the Steelers won him 2 Super Bowls.

4. You say Ben is a winner and I AGREE, show me one post where I havent admitted that. In fact, I have said He is the BEST QB that we have had post Bradshaw. I have also stated that Ben Roethlisberger is NOT a bum, HE IS GOOD. I just dont think he is elite. I disagree Ben has not catupulted us over the hump, the defense did. The defense plays lights out and Ben has 23 turnovers we win in 08. Ben throws for 4,000 and the defense is down, we dont make the playoffs. So you tell me, whos the PRIMARY reason we win? If you cant see its the defense then I say you are bleeping blind. The most Pro Bowlers come from the defense. The ONLY All Pros come from the defense. What puts fear in opposing teams, the offense or the defense? What are the Steelers known for? Defense. Whats the most consistent, dominant factor on our team? Its the defense. HANDS DOWN.

Downbylaw
08-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Im still stuck on the idea where he thinks Ben hasnt done much to get us to the SB......U freakin kidding me!. I understand if he doesnt care for Ben that much, but to say he hasnt done much for this team is idiotic at best. Go ride the Browns wagon then!

Obviously you havent read ANY of my posts because I certainly have NEVER said anything like that. Hyperbole at its best. WOW

Downbylaw
08-29-2010, 01:47 PM
There really is no argument here. Dixon will not take Ben's job from him. Dixon will be just another Tavaris Jackson, Seneca Wallace type "BACKUP" QB in this league. He will get a start now and again like Batch did when Ben got hurt. Nothing more. If something happens to Ben to take him out of the league (another concussion) , the Steelers will have to draft another QB in the first round to find his replacement or end up being a .500 team until they do. Ben is one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL.

Why cant he be a Warren Moon, Steve Young or Steve Mcnair? Not saying he will be, I'm for Leftwich getting the nod but just saying.

StainlessStill
08-29-2010, 03:16 PM
No purist would say that the Seahawks played up to snuff that day. In fact they played like a nervous team. By far their worst game of the season.

Again, you're swaying and twisting words. You said in an earlier post that had the Steelers played a "better team than Seattle" then we lose. Show me a better team that Seattle in that 2005 season. You can't because Seattle went 13-3 that season as the NFC's #1 seed. It was by far their worst game of the season and by far OUR worst game of the season. Both teams played mediocre at best. We made more splash plays and took advantage of their horrible clock management. At times they played better than us, but we came out the better team in the second half. Roethlisberger wasn't the only one who didn't play way in XL.

2. How is O'donnell irrelevant? He played badly and we lost because of his play and to a better team. Ties in with my 1st point. Had we played a better team due to the Qb's play in SB 40 we would have suffered the same fate. You disagree? Had we played Green Bay and Favre, we lose (If our qb plays the same). In 95 we played one of the best teams in the history of the league. Oh by the way, we were losing BEFORE O'donell's costly picks. Thats the difference. In 40 we had the lead minus any help from the qb. In 43, Harrison gets a TD and we are leading 20-7 with our qb passing for 68 yards. So as you see it doesnt take much from the qb and we will still win. There would have been no need to COME BACK had we gotten some productivity from the offense.

This is just top notch ramble and babble. Your last sentence has me howling with laughter. Obviously you don't know how the game of football is played. In 2008, yes our defense dominated, but it was our offense that led the league with 4th QRT comebacks, ending with the final one in Super Bowl XLIII. And oh yeah, there would be no need for a comeback if our DEFENSE would of held Arizona in the 4th quarter (who scored 16 points in 9 minutes) paving way for Ben and the offense to march straight down the field in one of the most dramatic finishes in recent SB history, all in the midst of a phantom holding call as well as another holding call to start that drive. It was the final effort of the offense that won the game.

3. You can say BEN won 2 Super Bowls. I will say the Steelers won him 2 Super Bowls. .

Wow. Again, you don't understand the backbone of how a football TEAM works. Football is the ultimate team game. You say the "Steelers" won "Ben" 2 Super Bowls, then turn around and not give any credit to Roethlisberger, who is the starting quarterback of.. you guessed it. The PITTSBURGH STEELERS. While we're at it, lets say that New Orleans won Drew Brees a trophy in 2009 and the Pats* won Tom Brady his trophy in 2001, 2003 & 2004 as well.

Again, rambling for the sake of argue.

4. You say Ben is a winner and I AGREE, show me one post where I havent admitted that.

You can say BEN won 2 Super Bowls. I will say the Steelers won him 2 Super Bowls

Right there.

I just dont think he is elite.

Who are the QB's you qualify as elite? Mark those QB's down and then compare those QB's careers compared to Ben's career thus far. Ben is right up there in efficiency and overall wins, including playoffs as well as comeback victories. Also, 2 Super Bowls (I know, the STEELERS won Ben those Super Bowls, Ben had NO contribution in that.)

Ben throws for 4,000 and the defense is down, we dont make the playoffs

So, you're blaming Roethlisberger throwing for over 4,000 yards as the reason our defense didn't play well enough for us to make the playoffs? Our defense was STILL 4th in overall defense last season. If you would have watched the season last year, everything ties into everything else in the Steelers system and even though we played well enough to win and start the season 6-2, it was mainly situational football and a dwindling defense in the late minutes (as well as injuries) and Special Teams play that tormented the Steelers last year. Has nothing to do with Ben's performances (which was Pro-Bowl worthy.)

Everyone knows that Pittsburgh is a defensive drivin' town and team. It will ALWAYS be that way and it will always be our forte'. That still doesn't elude the fact that a franchise quarterback makes that mission that much more reachable, and judging by FACT (you can even look it up) that Ben is our franchise that got us over the hump. It speaks in every statistic Ben has contributed on the field. (Other than defense, it is/was our running game that defined Steelers football as well.) It's Ben's style grungy and tough as nails style that makes him fit so well with how the Steelers do things. He's a risk taker and even though things won't look pretty, he gets the job done and is as clutch as any QB in the league right now.

Since Ben's arrival here in Pittsburgh, we don't win 2 Superbowl's and we CERTAINLY don't win more than HALF of the games that we have won since 2004 without Roethlisberger under center. That's a damn fact if you've ever watched Ben play on that field each Sunday and those close games we've won because of him alone since his arrival. THAT makes him elite.

The Steelers, statistically since the NFL Merger, has been ontop of the league in defensive rankings throughout their storied career.

Super Bowls:
Mark Malone 0
Bubby Brister 0
Neil O'Donnell 0
Mike Tomzack 0
Jim Miller 0
Kordell Stewart 0
Kent Graham 0
Tommy Maddox 0
Ben Roethlisberger 2 (career still in session.)

How do you explain Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Neil O'donnell, Mike Tomzack, Jim Miller, Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, & Tommy Maddox (givin' defense's atop the league) not having Super Bowl rings while commanding the Steelers offense throughout those years?

I am now.. bored. NEXT SUBJECT.

stb_steeler
08-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Give it up Stainless, theres no hope. :rofl: Now wheres that iggy button :smash:

Downbylaw
08-29-2010, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=Downbylaw;836709

Again, you're swaying and twisting words. You said in an earlier post that had the Steelers played a "better team than Seattle" then we lose. Show me a better team that Seattle in that 2005 season. You can't because Seattle went 13-3 that season as the NFC's #1 seed. It was by far their worst game of the season and by far OUR worst game of the season. Both teams played mediocre at best. We made more splash plays and took advantage of their horrible clock management. At times they played better than us, but we came out the better team in the second half. Roethlisberger wasn't the only one who didn't play way in XL.

Im not twisting anything. When the Pats went 16-0, what did that mean? It meant nothing because they lost in the big show. JUST like the Seahawks. Didnt play up to snuff in the big game so the erased what they did all season. Thanks for helping make my point. Its the same point with O'donnell by the way. No change, no twisting just VERY consistent. You said it was OUR worst game of the year? You are kidding right? Our loss on Monday Night to the Colts (7-26) was by far our worst game that year. SIGH Who else played as bad as Ben? Name please.

This is just top notch ramble and babble. Your last sentence has me howling with laughter. Obviously you don't know how the game of football is played. In 2008, yes our defense dominated, but it was our offense that led the league with 4th QRT comebacks, ending with the final one in Super Bowl XLIII. And oh yeah, there would be no need for a comeback if our DEFENSE would of held Arizona in the 4th quarter (who scored 16 points in 9 minutes) paving way for Ben and the offense to march straight down the field in one of the most dramatic finishes in recent SB history, all in the midst of a phantom holding call as well as another holding call to start that drive. It was the final effort of the offense that won the game.

So the defense gets BLAMED for the pts in the 4th quarter but no CREDIT for holding one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history in check for 3 quarters? The defense played well for THREE QUARTERS. The offense played well the last TWO MINUTES OF THE GAME lol. A little more execution by the offense and its a blowout. Funny your elite Qb didnt have 100 yards passing until the last drive. Thats really elite bro. Winning the game was the LEAST the offense could do after they didnt add to a 20-7 lead. You need a to take a class in my debating 101 course. A good debator never makes hypocritical statements like you posted. You argued that we wouldnt have been in SB 40 if not for riding the tails of Bens good play in the 3 games leading up to SB 40. I agree, He played WELL. That is what I expect from Ben 80% of the time. He has that much talent. Anyways, you argue that he got us there so that makes him off limits to criticize his performance in the big game. Why isnt it the same for the defense? Wasnt it the defense who got us there in 08? Why are they to blame for 19 points in the 4th qtr? Why do THEY get blamed in 43 and Ben does not in 40? Its the IDENTICAL argument. I have EXPOSED your bias for Ben. Tsk Tsk Tsk

Wow. Again, you don't understand the backbone of how a football TEAM works. Football is the ultimate team game. You say the "Steelers" won "Ben" 2 Super Bowls, then turn around and not give any credit to Roethlisberger, who is the starting quarterback of.. you guessed it. The PITTSBURGH STEELERS. While we're at it, lets say that New Orleans won Drew Brees a trophy in 2009 and the Pats* won Tom Brady his trophy in 2001, 2003 & 2004 as well.

Again, rambling for the sake of argue.

Sorry Drew Brees and Tom Brady are the PRIMARY reasons that their teams are elite. The Saints were no where near SB ready UNTIL they got Brees. Brady had a season ending injury and the Pats missed the playoffs. In fact the Pats had arguably one of the best lines in the game- WITH BRADY. Until Cassel took 46 sacks. The truth is that line looked putrid without Brady. So you see there lies the difference. Ben was absent and we started FIRST TIME starter Dixon and we lose to the Ravens by 3. A game we should have won. I know what your next retort is "But you see we lost". True enough, the elite one put us in a bad situation and didnt give Dixon enough preparation time. But the point is the Steelers are still good without Ben as you will see in his absence. Take Brady and Brees, Manning, Warner off of their teams and they miss the playoffs. Not the case in Pittsburgh.

Right there.

Who are the QB's you qualify as elite? Mark those QB's down and then compare those QB's careers compared to Ben's career thus far. Ben is right up there in efficiency and overall wins, including playoffs as well as comeback victories. Also, 2 Super Bowls (I know, the STEELERS won Ben those Super Bowls, Ben had NO contribution in that.)

Ben is on a better team than ANY qb in the league so of course he will have more wins. Heck KORDELL FRICKIN STEWART won almost 50 games for us and he SUCKS. Peyton Manning, Brees and Brady dont have alot of comebacks because they execute at a high level in the 1st 3 quarters so by the 4th they are comfortably ahead. You see "comeback" wins are only impressive if you are on a BAD team, its a knock against you if you are on a good one. Now if Matt Stafford leads a lot of comebacks its impressive. But if Peyton Manning does, not so impressive. Its like that sprinter Bolt having to "come from behind" when he is the fastest man in the world. Or Mike Tyson in his prime, having to "come back". If that happened they would be accussed of dogging it because there is no way it should be happening. Same with us. We should be comfortably ahead 90% of the time. We are that good.

So, you're blaming Roethlisberger throwing for over 4,000 yards as the reason our defense didn't play well enough for us to make the playoffs? Our defense was STILL 4th in overall defense last season. If you would have watched the season last year, everything ties into everything else in the Steelers system and even though we played well enough to win and start the season 6-2, it was mainly situational football and a dwindling defense in the late minutes (as well as injuries) and Special Teams play that tormented the Steelers last year. Has nothing to do with Ben's performances (which was Pro-Bowl worthy.)

I'm not blaming Ben just pointing out that when HE leads the team its NOT ENOUGH. He needs a dominant defense and last year was proof of that. Defense is up he wins a SB. Defense is down, his stats are up we miss the playoffs. Thats hardcore proof sir. Ben made the Pro Bowl due to injuries to Qbs who got in over him. Thats like a pretty girl asking you to take her to the prom when her date got the chicken pox.

Everyone knows that Pittsburgh is a defensive drivin' town and team. It will ALWAYS be that way and it will always be our forte'. That still doesn't elude the fact that a franchise quarterback makes that mission that much more reachable, and judging by FACT (you can even look it up) that Ben is our franchise that got us over the hump. It speaks in every statistic Ben has contributed on the field. (Other than defense, it is/was our running game that defined Steelers football as well.) It's Ben's style grungy and tough as nails style that makes him fit so well with how the Steelers do things. He's a risk taker and even though things won't look pretty, he gets the job done and is as clutch as any QB in the league right now.

Sorry clutch, elite qbs DON'T miss the playoffs two times after winning SBs. Do you know that Ben Roethlisberger is the only qb to do so in the HISTORY of the NFL? Clutch qbs are in the playoffs every year. Ben is GOOD but very inconsistent and that is my problem with him. He is inconsistent every week. If he is on the Lions he is Jake Plummer.

Since Ben's arrival here in Pittsburgh, we don't win 2 Superbowl's and we CERTAINLY don't win more than HALF of the games that we have won since 2004 without Roethlisberger under center. That's a damn fact if you've ever watched Ben play on that field each Sunday and those close games we've won because of him alone since his arrival. THAT makes him elite.

The Steelers, statistically since the NFL Merger, has been ontop of the league in defensive rankings throughout their storied career.

Of course I have watched him play. I have watched EVERY game of his career. Didnt you see the thread where I documented all of his games vs an elite defense? Stats are terrible by the way. I remind you we won almost 50 games with Kordell. Reached two AFCCG with that BUM. Helloooooooooooo the STEELERS are good. We didnt win because we lost to Hall of fame ELWAY and the Broncos and the Pats. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Super Bowls:
Mark Malone 0
Bubby Brister 0
Neil O'Donnell 0
Mike Tomzack 0
Jim Miller 0
Kordell Stewart 0
Kent Graham 0
Tommy Maddox 0
Ben Roethlisberger 2 (career still in session.)

Again, I have already admitted Ben is the BEST QB POST BRADSHAW. Its ironic that ALL of those qbs are BACKUPS LOL They left pittsburgh and were garbage. Just like Ben would be if he leaves. Garbage.

How do you explain Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Neil O'donnell, Mike Tomzack, Jim Miller, Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, & Tommy Maddox (givin' defense's atop the league) not having Super Bowl rings while commanding the Steelers offense throughout those years?

I am now.. bored. NEXT SUBJECT.

None of those qbs had as good a defense as Ben has. Dont get me wrong they had good defenses but not AS GOOD. Nor did they have the weapons that Ben has had. Santonio Holmes, Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Plaxico Burress,Heath Miller thats a far cry from Charles Johnson, Yancey Thigpen, Andre Hastings, Ernie Mills etc. Dwayne Washington,Chad scott, Deion Figures, Willie Williams or Ricardo Colcolugh would never make our team. The LBs were stellar but the Dline Brenston Buckner,Steed etc BUMS. Two standouts in Carnell and Woodson. (other than the lbs). Those Steeler teams had NO WHERE near the talent of Bens teams. If they did then please feel free to start naming some names. I guarantee you can only name Lbs and woodson and Lake. AS I said those teams were mediocre in terms to talent. Bens teams are LOADED and to miss the playoffs TWICE with all that talent just makes my case against the guy.

Downbylaw
08-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Oh I forgot to mention that NONE of those qbs had 2 receivers with 1000 yards ability or a rb with 1000 yards (at the same time) plus that D.

ETL
08-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Let’s face the facts about some of the NFL rumors surrounding Steeler Nation. Pittsburgh has been looking for a way to get rid of Ben Roethlisberger behind the scenes all summer. ...

According to "WHATDOIDON'TKNOW" you are wrong! The Steelers never have wanted to get rid of Ben.

I guess you and I should start believing everything that the F.O. says and those rumors are ALWAYS wrong - especially if the GM and the F.O. says that they are wrong. :rolleyes:

DanRooney
08-30-2010, 01:57 AM
bump

DanRooney
08-30-2010, 01:58 AM
don't you look stupid after a preseason game ;)