lefty our best bet

Fire Arians
08-29-2010, 09:34 PM
he sucks, bench his ass

LVSteelersfan
08-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Dixon = Kordell

Same Number

Same stupid mistakes in scoring position.

I will take Leftwich any day of the week over Dixon.

Dixon will be remiain #3 QB next year when the Steelers realize they have to draft another QB.

Let me say it again. RUNNING QBs SUCK. Can't hit a critical third down pass if they try. Go three and out more often than not. Throw pick sixes at the worst possible time. He played with the big boys this time and failed big time.

The idea that the Steelers will send Ben packing because Dixon is so good is ridiculous.

Dixon is:

http://copper-desert-llc.tripod.com/fail_boat.jpg

Fire Arians
08-29-2010, 10:00 PM
randle el should be the #3 qb

SteelCityMom
08-29-2010, 10:01 PM
randle el should be the #3 qb

:toofunny:

I think the only way Dixon will work is the same way the Eagles used Vick. He's just no good at reading a defense and gets flustered way too easy.

ETL
08-29-2010, 10:19 PM
I got ripped by people on this board for posting this back in March.

Where the hell is all this love for Dixon coming from? Just because the guy wears a Steeler uniform you guys think he will be good?

If he was on the Browns roster right now would you be scared that they have a star in waiting? Hell no!

Dixon is as proven as this healthcare reform plan. He played one game as a starter, made a few throws that every backup QB in the league should be able to make and scored on a run, something that he won't be able to do in this league for long and threw a game costing INT and you guys feel good about that?

Put down the steeler cool-aid. This is a veteran team ready to win a SB now and I don't see how a one-game experienced QB will get that done.

I am pulling for Steeler players to do well but I feel I am realistic in my worry and caution with Dixon. Again, ask yourself, if Dixon was on another team would he worry you or would you be licking your chops? I'd say the latter.

pancake
08-29-2010, 10:20 PM
you still want him to be our starter?
so far im not liking what im seeing.
he's not playing with back ups this time and
it shows
::helmet:
lefty our best bet

I have to agree with you. I don't think he is a starting NFL QB. We should just use him in a Slash role...

Fire Arians
08-29-2010, 10:25 PM
leftwich is looking bad too

well i'm having less confidence in this team's ability to win without ben now

casteeler
08-29-2010, 10:51 PM
more Batch pls!!

StainlessStill
08-29-2010, 11:01 PM
That didn't go so well. I love Dixon, he has major upside and a BRIGHT future. But tonight showed what I and a lot of people said all along. He's green, inexperienced and being plugged in with the starter, life without Ben could get ugly quick. Lefty is pretty much a lock for our starter week 1. I hope we live up to our word and still have a hybrid package for Dixon to come in and change pace, but he didn't do anything worthy tonight.

Fire Arians
08-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Well, this game was supposed to show us who would be the week 1 starter, and the picture certainly didn't get clearer. all QB's minus ben looked like crap. is the decision gonna come down to a coin toss?

StainlessStill
08-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Well, this game was supposed to show us who would be the week 1 starter, and the picture certainly didn't get clearer. all QB's minus ben looked like crap. is the decision gonna come down to a coin toss?

No, it's Leftwhich's job. The whole point of Dixon getting the go-ahead of Leftwhich with the starters was to show if he could pull ahead in the race and look somewhat decent doing it. Granted, Lefty didn't look that great either which makes the whole thing worrisome, but with Dixon making some BAD mistakes that require mental traits and just didn't show the smarts out there. He played ENTIRELY slow didn't move around the way he did with men trying to make the team. There is no decision, it'll be Leftwhich.

mikegrimey
08-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Yea his two INTs took away two scoring opportunities which is obviously a huge no-no.

Byron will definitely be starting for us week 1 even though he didn't look good tonight either.
It was good they kept Dixon in for one last series in the 3rd quarter, although I wish they would have just kicked the field goal to go out on a postiive note, cause you never know, if Byron goes down he'll have to be our guy even temporarily.

AndyWitmyer
08-30-2010, 01:58 AM
I think, if nothing else, this game will at least partially disarm some of those trolls who would have you believe that Ben is some sort of average QB who just so happens to play on a top-notch team. Lies! Dixon and Leftwich have nothing on Ben. Nothing. Period. Ben adds so much to the game. And no matter how anemic our offense may look (preseason or not), Ben will bring a level of skill and enthusiasm that neither Dixon nor Leftwich combined could ever hope to achieve.

I feel bad for Dixon, because I really think that deep down, the kid does might very well be a diamond in the rough - but to reach his potential, it would take a season or two of work to unlock all of his hidden potential - an amount of time that is far from the amount of time they would be willing to spend. Ben is their franchise QB so, barring jail time or a career ending injury, he will remain so. And unless Leftwich blows the first two games, he'll be holding down the fort for as many games that Ben is out.

But if Charlie Batch retires this year (which I would hate to see, since I think he's, in theory, a much better QB than either Dixon or Leftwich, minus the injuries), I could see Dixon being asked to stay as a means of filling out the depth for at least the next two or three years. I just don't think he's ready to be a starter just yet. Maybe one day, but not now.

pancake
08-30-2010, 02:07 AM
I think, if nothing else, this game will at least partially disarm some of those trolls who would have you believe that Ben is some sort of average QB who just so happens to play on a top-notch team. Lies! Dixon and Leftwich have nothing on Ben. Nothing. Period. Ben adds so much to the game. And no matter how anemic our offense may look (preseason or not), Ben will bring a level of skill and enthusiasm that neither Dixon nor Leftwich combined could ever hope to achieve.

I feel bad for Dixon, because I really think that deep down, the kid does might very well be a diamond in the rough - but to reach his potential, it would take a season or two of work to unlock all of his hidden potential - an amount of time that is far from the amount of time they would be willing to spend. Ben is their franchise QB so, barring jail time or a career ending injury, he will remain so. And unless Leftwich blows the first two games, he'll be holding down the fort for as many games that Ben is out.

But if Charlie Batch retires this year (which I would hate to see, since I think he's, in theory, a much better QB than either Dixon or Leftwich, minus the injuries), I could see Dixon being asked to stay as a means of filling out the depth for at least the next two or three years. I just don't think he's ready to be a starter just yet. Maybe one day, but not now.

I have always said I will take a winner over stats. Next few statement might get rocks throwed at me. I use to argue with friends a few years back who said Brady was not the best QB. I said I would take him over all the high stat guys, because he is a winner.

I think Ben is a winner, when the game is on the line, I like the ball in his hands. That makes him elite in my book.

I agree with you on Dixon, he may have something, but he is not ready yet. Wasn't tonight, thats for sure.

Last, so I don't take too much flack, "Tom Brady sucks, he is gay". :flap:

Tone's Toes
08-30-2010, 02:22 AM
I'd start Batch at this point and use Dixon in some packages (as long as we're not in scoring position).

Lefty can't be the QB here. He needs a dominate O-Line that can give him all day to throw and make up for his slow release. Our O-Line is awful outside of Pouncey. He won't get time so he'll be completely ineffective and we'll lose games.

Dixon played the way I thought he would. It's normal for a young QB to make these mistakes. The only issue is it will likely take Dixon a full year of starting in the NFL before he starts to mature and make better decisions. Ben will be back from his suspension long before Dixon gets it together enough to be an effective starting QB.

jjpro11
08-30-2010, 07:27 AM
I have always said I will take a winner over stats. Next few statement might get rocks throwed at me. I use to argue with friends a few years back who said Brady was not the best QB. I said I would take him over all the high stat guys, because he is a winner.

I think Ben is a winner, when the game is on the line, I like the ball in his hands. That makes him elite in my book.

I agree with you on Dixon, he may have something, but he is not ready yet. Wasn't tonight, thats for sure.

Last, so I don't take too much flack, "Tom Brady sucks, he is gay". :flap:

Ben's a winner, but a lot of people seem to have a hard time realizing that he's a damn good QB too in terms of pure ability.. accuracy, pocket awareness (yes, he holds the ball too long sometimes), ability to read defenses pre-snap and during the play, arm strength, elusiveness, ball security.. the one knock i have on his game is his deep ball. he under-throws it more often than not. but overall, he's an elite QB. anyone who says otherwise has been living in a cave since 2003.

steelcity1974
08-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Either way you look at it, we have no QB until Ben returns. Dixon and Leftwich are both playing poorly against defenses that are not showing any real packages. If I had to pick one I guess I'd say Leftwich for two reasons 1. he can throw far enough for Wallace to run under a ball and 2. Dixon's decision making trumps his athleticism. We should be running the ball 65% of the time in those first 4 games. Mendenhall and Redman look good. And Dyer looks promising even if his work is coming against the 3rd string D.

Downbylaw
08-30-2010, 08:15 AM

This game? A Preseason game? Your kidding right? The Colts just let the Packers put 50 on them or high 40's cant remember. But that means they are going to suck right? You want to judge tonight? Ben played tonight too and all he did is throw a 13 yard pass the Wallace ran 36 yards with. At the end of the day Ben only produced a fg. Leftwich produced a Td. Not saying Leftwich is better but I'm not silly enough to judge our teams performance on a preseason game. Just like If Ben had came out and thrown 2 pick six's and Dixon/Leftwich played lights out you KNOW you would be saying "It's just a preseason game" As you should. I wonder if the Colts fans think like you guys BASED on one meaningless game

Downbylaw
08-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Either way you look at it, we have no QB until Ben returns. Dixon and Leftwich are both playing poorly against defenses that are not showing any real packages. If I had to pick one I guess I'd say Leftwich for two reasons 1. he can throw far enough for Wallace to run under a ball and 2. Dixon's decision making trumps his athleticism. We should be running the ball 65% of the time in those first 4 games. Mendenhall and Redman look good. And Dyer looks promising even if his work is coming against the 3rd string D.

Lol one preseason games trumps the other two.

Downbylaw
08-30-2010, 08:17 AM
I'd start Batch at this point and use Dixon in some packages (as long as we're not in scoring position).

Lefty can't be the QB here. He needs a dominate O-Line that can give him all day to throw and make up for his slow release. Our O-Line is awful outside of Pouncey. He won't get time so he'll be completely ineffective and we'll lose games.

Dixon played the way I thought he would. It's normal for a young QB to make these mistakes. The only issue is it will likely take Dixon a full year of starting in the NFL before he starts to mature and make better decisions. Ben will be back from his suspension long before Dixon gets it together enough to be an effective starting QB.

How do you explain Leftwiches effectiveness in 08 behind a worse O-Line?

AndyWitmyer
08-30-2010, 01:16 PM
This game? A Preseason game? Your kidding right? The Colts just let the Packers put 50 on them or high 40's cant remember. But that means they are going to suck right? You want to judge tonight? Ben played tonight too and all he did is throw a 13 yard pass the Wallace ran 36 yards with. At the end of the day Ben only produced a fg. Leftwich produced a Td. Not saying Leftwich is better but I'm not silly enough to judge our teams performance on a preseason game. Just like If Ben had came out and thrown 2 pick six's and Dixon/Leftwich played lights out you KNOW you would be saying "It's just a preseason game" As you should. I wonder if the Colts fans think like you guys BASED on one meaningless game

Ben's not playing for his job. And as for the rest of your statement, whether fair or not, there's an old saying in the business: You're only as good as your last game.

scsteeler
08-30-2010, 02:50 PM

Yes they all did look like Crap. Batch though a lot could be said for the young receivers not understanding coverages and simply understanding each other.

Yes a coin toss it may be. Dixon looked average at best. Lefty well he was lefty.

Downbylaw
08-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Ben's not playing for his job. And as for the rest of your statement, whether fair or not, there's an old saying in the business: You're only as good as your last game.

You are correct and that cliche was in regard to regular season games.

ricardisimo
08-30-2010, 06:37 PM
more Batch pls!!

You may or may not be joking, but why not? I mean, at some point (probably in the second half of our opener) he's going to turn his head just a little too fast and rupture a vertebra, but until then, why not make use of his experience and accuracy?

steelcity1974
09-01-2010, 03:19 PM
How do you explain Leftwiches effectiveness in 08 behind a worse O-Line?

:rofl:
1 game? Really? And that was two years ago. He's only gotten older, slower, and more worthless. Didn't Kordell Stewart make the pro bowl one year.....

Goat27
09-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Funny how the first two week of PRE-season so much Love for DD, now he has a game where he throws two pick, now he is compared to Kordell, and he is terrible. Well Byron didn't complete not one pass, ok.. so DD having that kind of game can only help him and he will get better...if you KO everyone in the first rd, what happens when you fight that one guy who takes you to rd four, five six and seven? Keep Learning DD, you will be ok...

StainlessStill
09-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Funny how the first two week of PRE-season so much Love for DD, now he has a game where he throws two pick, now he is compared to Kordell, and he is terrible. Well Byron didn't complete not one pass, ok.. so DD having that kind of game can only help him and he will get better...if you KO everyone in the first rd, what happens when you fight that one guy who takes you to rd four, five six and seven? Keep Learning DD, you will be ok...

Haha, gotta love Steelers fans, huh? I've been on record for saying that Dixon is clearly not ready to start since his week 1 pre-season performance. Yea, he has skill and can get the hell out of dodge but he never gave himself the time of DAY to get a feel for the pocket and barely even showed any confidence delivering downfield. That was a caution right from the get-go. Seeing his inconsistencies and mistakes in game 3 with the starting units only proves he needs more work that could continue into the next couple years before he is NFL starter material. Until then, he'll be a work in progress.

steelerohio
09-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Well, whoever starts I wish them the best of luck... I predict a 2-2 start o the season though

tunes4life
09-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Nah, I'm not giving up on Dixon yet. The kid is bound to make some mistakes. Not only has he not played with the same for any length of time, but he was playing in a game where Tomlin was experimenting with receivers and the O-line. Yes, the end zone play was BAD, panic play. But I still am more excited to see him in there than Lefty. Give him a real chance before comparing him to Kordell. I think he has a good head on his shoulders. :hug:

fer522
09-11-2010, 10:30 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nah, I'm not giving up on Dixon yet. The kid is bound to make some mistakes. Not only has he not played with the same for any length of time, but he was playing in a game where Tomlin was experimenting with receivers and the O-line. Yes, the end zone play was BAD, panic play. But I still am more excited to see him in there than Lefty. Give him a real chance before comparing him to Kordell. I think he has a good head on his shoulders.

gotta support him now i guess:wave:
:tt03: