PDA

View Full Version : Educated 53 man Roster

SteelKnight
08-30-2010, 01:47 AM
OK...we know more since the Early 53 thread. Here we go:

Starters in Bold

OFFENSE 25

QB (3)
1. Roethlisberger (Batch until Ben returns)
2. Leftwich (first 4 games)
3. Dennis Dixon

WR (5)
1. Ward
2. Wallace
3. Randel El
4. Sanders
5. Antonio Brown

RB/FBs (5)
1. Mendenhall
2. Moore
3. Redman
4. Dwyer - must protect. Just keep inactive all year.
5. Logan -bubble for sure. It will all depend on his ST defense

TE (3)
1. Miller
2. Spaeth
3. Johnson - I don't even remember seeing McHugh...should be McWho?

OL (9)
1. Starks
2. Kemoeatu
3. Pouncey
4. Essex
5. Adams
6. Foster (can play guard or T)
7. Legursky
8. Jonathan Scott
9. Hills

DEFENSE 25

NT (2)
1. Hampton
2. Hoke

DE (4)
1. Smith
2. Keisel
3. Hood
4. Harris

OLB (4)
1. Harrison
2. Woodley
3. Gibson
4. Worilds

ILB (5)
1. Farrior
2. Timmons
3. Foote
4. Fox
5. Sylvester

CB (6)
1. Taylor
2. McFadden
3. Lewis
4. Gay
5. Burnett
6. Butler

Safties (4)
1. Polamalu
2. Clark
3. Allen
4. Mundy

Special Teams 3

Kicker
1. Reed

Punter
1. Sepulveda

Long Snapper
1. Greg Warren

Practice Squad (8)
1. Doug Worthington (DE)
2. Tyler Grisham (WR) -will never be a real Steeler
3. Chris Scott (T)
4. Craig Urbik (G) -still eligible
5. Steve McLendon (DT)
6. Kyle Jolly (T)
7. Cromartie-Smith (S)
8. Frank Summers (RB)

Notes:

Cutting Hartwig was hard...He represents a hole up the middle in the line though. Pouncey makes Kemo and Essex better.

I had to cut Eason for youth. It's a gamble but it is time for Hood and Harris to step up and claim theirs. Hood is doing it. Worthington will be developing.

Logan tackled well and even when he didn't he made it down there quickly. We need him (ST kick off punts). I have not seen Arnez Battle on ST. I think he'll be cut.

Frank Summers can't block. Put him on the PS. If someone takes him, fine...no loss.

Jonathan Scott might not make it but we need someone who can play back up RT in case Adams gets hurt. Foster hasn't been practicing there. Hills plays only LT.

SteelKnight
08-30-2010, 02:02 AM
Comparing my early roster to my educated roster, here are some changes:
-I think Logan sneaks in due to him almost always being first to the KR/PR. He needs to make that tackle.
-I think Battle gets cut. He has not been big on ST. I doubt he has any tackles.
-I didn't realize Tony hills would start playing well
-Who Knew Pouncey would take the top spot and Hartwig would play so poorly in the Broncos game.
-Dwyer should make the team and be protected for a year under ineligible each week (but protected)
-Johnson was struggling at the time but recently I haven't seen Sean McWho.

steeltheone
08-30-2010, 02:59 AM
People wrote off Logan way to quickly. Dwyer does look fat and average. Backs like him and Summers are a dime a dozen. CUT CUT CUT

ricksteelers55
08-30-2010, 04:00 AM
IMO we gonna keep 5 CB and it's going to be between Burnett & Butler and in the end Butler's going to win it.

so my only change i would make to your roster is

Nick Eason instead of Joe Burnett

SteelKnight
08-31-2010, 01:51 AM
IMO we gonna keep 5 CB and it's going to be between Burnett & Butler and in the end Butler's going to win it.

so my only change i would make to your roster is

Nick Eason instead of Joe Burnett

Interesting. Yeah...I think Burnett will make the team but I don't know what to do about the DE position. We usually keep 5. It is the ILB spot messing us up.

SteelKnight
08-31-2010, 01:58 AM
People wrote off Logan way to quickly. Dwyer does look fat and average. Backs like him and Summers are a dime a dozen. CUT CUT CUT

Dwyer looks like a good developmental project to me. Each game, you have to have 8 inactive anyway so I think e would be perfect to have on the 53 man squad then if mendenhall or Redman get injured, activate him. Perfect.

We can do without Summers. Redman, Johnson, and Legursky can handle fullback.

I wrote Logan off too. I like the peace of mind he gives us returning kicks but that won't get him on the team. Really it will be who is best at being a gunner that will get the final spot...whether that be Logan, Madison or Battle. It would be better for it to be Logan since unlike the other 2, logan can also return kicks.

SteelKnight
08-31-2010, 02:20 AM
From Steelers.com:

At this time, fans are busy putting together their personal 53-man rosters, and as a part of that they will designate some players as bound for the practice squad. The idea being that those individuals are worth keeping around for the future but as yet are unworthy of a spot on the final 53. Well, before putting Jonathan Dwyer’s name there, consider this: The Broncos situation at running back is dismal, with Knowshon Moreno and Correll Buckhalter both injured, and with LenDale White looking at a four-game suspension to open the season. With such a thin backfield, might Denver be interested in a player who rushed for 89 yards on 13 carries right under their very noses?

SteelKnight
08-31-2010, 10:26 AM
I knew the cut to 75 was going to be easy. I also knew it would include none of the people that the Steelers hope to put on the PS.

I knew it would not include Dwyer. Somebody from this board was saying Dwyer was going to be in that early cut...I'm sure that person won't own up to it now.

Final cuts are Sunday 6PM.

On my 53, I wouldn't be surprised if Summers replaces Logan but I wouldn't do it.

ETL
08-31-2010, 01:33 PM
From Steelers.com:

At this time, fans are busy putting together their personal 53-man rosters, and as a part of that they will designate some players as bound for the practice squad. The idea being that those individuals are worth keeping around for the future but as yet are unworthy of a spot on the final 53. Well, before putting Jonathan Dwyer’s name there, consider this: The Broncos situation at running back is dismal, with Knowshon Moreno and Correll Buckhalter both injured, and with LenDale White looking at a four-game suspension to open the season. With such a thin backfield, might Denver be interested in a player who rushed for 89 yards on 13 carries right under their very noses?

I hate acting based on fear. We should not keep a player just because someone else is going to take him. If Denver takes him, that's because they are desperate and not necessarily because Dwyer is really good. If Dwyer can't beat out one of our guys, then he should be cut. If we need a RB next year - we can draft one again.

SteelMember
08-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Final cuts are Sunday 6PM.

I pretty sure they are Saturday, the 4th.
a brief waiver period, then you can sign your 8 player practice squad.(Sun)

SteelMember
08-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Yes. It is indeed Saturday.

http://nfllabor.com/2010/06/21/calendar-for-2010-nfl-season-released/

Saturday, the 4th. (6pm,est)
8 player practice squad.(Sun @ Noon, est)

SteelMember
08-31-2010, 03:13 PM
You have a good looking scenerio going, SteelKnight.

A few different things on mine are:

6 WR's instead of 5 RB's. So Battle, who already has a bonus of 1 mil replaces Logan or Dwyer. I think Dwyer sticks if Brown has proven himself enough to take Logans return spot.

OL... One of your tackles goes in favor of Urbik. (an inside swing man) It may be Scott.

DL... I think Eason makes the team over a project LB like Sylvester.

CB... Unless Burnett, or Lewis can play the gunner with no talent loss, Madison makes the team over Butler.

Really, we're not too far apart. A few fringe decisions different, but those are always the toughest.

Steel_Bus_24
08-31-2010, 04:31 PM
if we let Butler go I'll be mad

SteelKnight
08-31-2010, 06:47 PM
I hate acting based on fear. We should not keep a player just because someone else is going to take him. If Denver takes him, that's because they are desperate and not necessarily because Dwyer is really good. If Dwyer can't beat out one of our guys, then he should be cut. If we need a RB next year - we can draft one again.

Of course there should be a little fear involved. lol Why not put Worilds on the PS? He's not ready. We shouldn't completely get rid of fear because he is a 6th round pick. We will be sorry with that. Let him develop on the inactive list but on the 53 for protection. We have to inactivate 8 players for each game anyway. He's a perfect candidate.

SteelKnight
08-31-2010, 06:59 PM
You have a good looking scenerio going, SteelKnight.

A few different things on mine are:

6 WR's instead of 5 RB's. So Battle, who already has a bonus of 1 mil replaces Logan or Dwyer. I think Dwyer sticks if Brown has proven himself enough to take Logans return spot.

OL... One of your tackles goes in favor of Urbik. (an inside swing man) It may be Scott.

DL... I think Eason makes the team over a project LB like Sylvester.

CB... Unless Burnett, or Lewis can play the gunner with no talent loss, Madison makes the team over Butler.

Really, we're not too far apart. A few fringe decisions different, but those are always the toughest.

Yeah...lol We are not to far apart.

I initially had Battle but he has not shown anything on ST and didn't even crack the first team unit. That's what they brought him there for. I think he gets cut since logan not only returns but also runs down to make tackles on ST. Watch on Thursday. He is always one of the first ones down there.

OL...No to Urbik. He's done nothing and he's still eligible for the PS. I'll take my chances that another team steals him. If not, he can do nothing on the PS for a year and we can reevaluate next year. Foster is a competent back up G and both L and right.

Interesting on Eason over Sylvester. I just feel someone could steal him. I wouldn't do it. Eason may find some other way to make the team though. Maybe they cut Harris.

Lewis is already a first team gunner. He needs to make more of an impact but I haven't seen Madison do anything special on STs either.

Butler is an upcoming talent. He makes the team.

ETL
08-31-2010, 08:33 PM
Of course there should be a little fear involved. lol Why not put Worilds on the PS? He's not ready. We shouldn't completely get rid of fear because he is a 6th round pick. We will be sorry with that. Let him develop on the inactive list but on the 53 for protection. We have to inactivate 8 players for each game anyway. He's a perfect candidate.

Steelerknight - I like your demeanor and your style. You stick your neck out by offering rosters and having people throw knives and arrows at them. And you respond with respect and kindness.

There are too many on this board who constantly criticize but never stick their necks out with their own suggestions. And there are many who start with the name-calling even before making a legitimate post.

Keep up with the good posts!

SteelKnight
08-31-2010, 10:43 PM
Steelerknight - I like your demeanor and your style. You stick your neck out by offering rosters and having people throw knives and arrows at them. And you respond with respect and kindness.

There are too many on this board who constantly criticize but never stick their necks out with their own suggestions. And there are many who start with the name-calling even before making a legitimate post.

Keep up with the good posts!

Thanks. I enjoy your posts too. You are not afraid to challenge and actually provide the reasoning for the challenge. lol

We all do this for fun. I enjoy when I learn something new or a person changes my mind. I come to see others' perspectives.

That 53 man Roster is hard to make...but fun. All the stress come from ILB using up 5 spots.

If we gave players like Urbik, Hills, Sweed, and Davis spots on the roster to develop, we should do the same for Dwyer. He might be really good in a year.

SteelKnight
09-01-2010, 11:36 PM
C'mon. This is a Steelers Board. Make some 53 man rosters before Saturday for fun. I don't see Down's updated 53 for a man who writes so much.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Heres one I did ast week a bit revised. I wanted to wait until the last preseason game to put out my final guess. I'll just revisit this one after tommorrow.

QB(3): Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwhich, Dennis Dixon

RB(4): Rashard Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore, Isaac Redman, Jon Dwyer

TE(3): Heath Miller, David Johnson, Matt Spaeth

WR(6): Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Antwan Randel El, Manny Sanders, Antonio Brown, Stefan Logan

OT(4): Max Starks, Flozell Adams, Ramon Foster, Tony Hills

OG(3): Chris Kemoeatu, Trai Essex, Kraig Urbik

OC(2): Maurkice Pouncey, Doug Legursky

DE(4): Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, Ziggy Hood, Sonny Harris

DT(2): Casey Hampton, Chris Hoke

OLB(4): James Harrison, Lamarr Woodley, Jason Worilds, Thaddeus Gibson

ILB(5): James Farrior, Lawrence Timmons, Keyaron Fox, Larry Foote, Stevenson Syvestor

CB(6): Ike Taylor, Bryant McFadden, William Gay, Kennan Lewis, Joe Burnett, Crezdon Butler

FS(2): Rtan Clark, Will Allen

SS(2): Troy Polamalu, Ryan Mundy

ST(3): Jeff Reed, Dan Sepulveda, Greg Warren

Practice Squad:
Frank Summers
Kyle Jolly
Doug Worthington
Justin Thorton
Tyler Grishem
Damon Cromartie-Smith
Eugene Bright
Chris Scott (when he comes off of PUP list)

Some notes:

* Stefon Logan proves to be more valuable than Arnaz Battle. Can cover kicks and a more reliable returner than Sanders/Brown

* Another season of fullback by committee. I expect David Johnson to get most of the fullback snaps

* Kraig Urbik's potential is more intriguing than Jon Scott's experience.

* Justin Hartwig out the door.

* Starting right guard position may still go to Foster.

* Cromartie-Smith might pass up Mundy and earn a spot on the 53 man.

* In terms of practice squad, I just took players off of our roster. I fully believe we will grab players other teams waived.

* Will probably carry Batch until Ben returns

* WAY OUT THERE PREDICTION: Trai Essex or Ramon Foster grab the right tackle spot from Flozell Adams. Adams is cut in favor of Jonathan Scott.

* HOLDING OUT HOPE PREDICTION: Sean McHough makes the team over Matt Spaeth

ricardisimo
09-02-2010, 01:10 AM
Looks good, TSK, only I see one more safety/STer. Drop Logan, add Madison. Maybe a few more changes...

6 corners and 6 wideouts both seem like a lot, so yeah, drop Logan, maybe also Crezdon, Keenan... or even BMac. In exchange maybe keep Eason?

MasterOfPuppets
09-02-2010, 02:09 AM
there's noway in hell urbik will be cut. whens the last time the steelers cut a player drafted in the top 3 after 1 year ? jermain stevens ? like you said, if they let hills and bruce davis stick around for 2 years, no way they are going to give up on urbik this quick.
in fact, the improvement of hills after 2 years of sucking will only reinforce keeping him.
dwyer on the other hand is destined for the practice squad. if i'm not mistaken, this may be vincents last year of eligibility on the PS ... but i may be wrong.

SteelKnight
09-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Heres one I did ast week a bit revised. I wanted to wait until the last preseason game to put out my final guess. I'll just revisit this one after tommorrow.

QB(3): Ben Roethlisberger, ...

Thanks for participating. That's what makes it fun.

Wow...we are on the same page. The only difference between our lists is that i kept Jonathan Scott and you kept Kraig Urbik. Also you called Logan a WR. They said he's been working out a little at RB (but no chance to contribute there).

As far as Scott over Urbik, I did it for 4 reasons:
1.Urbik hasn't shown much and I still remember his Senior Bowl practice work out tapes. He couldn't beat out Essex or Foster so I'd rather move on.
2. Scott is the OL coaches boy.
3. Flozell adams looked iffy before last game.
4. We ave no other back up RT. Essex and Foster have not been playing any RT at all and Hills plays exclusively LT. We need a back up RT on the roster.

Even our PS is similar (like 6 of 8)...I of course have Urbik who you kept.

I hope more people share their 53.

SteelKnight
09-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Looks good, TSK, only I see one more safety/STer. Drop Logan, add Madison. Maybe a few more changes...

6 corners and 6 wideouts both seem like a lot, so yeah, drop Logan, maybe also Crezdon, Keenan... or even BMac. In exchange maybe keep Eason?

No way we drop Crezdon, Keenan or Bmac.

I wish I could squeeze Eason on there too.

If Madison is going to make the team, he had better make some ST tackles tonight. Logan as been beating him down there and Logan also returns kicks.

SteelKnight
09-02-2010, 03:41 PM
there's noway in hell urbik will be cut. whens the last time the steelers cut a player drafted in the top 3 after 1 year ? jermain stevens ? like you said, if they let hills and bruce davis stick around for 2 years, no way they are going to give up on urbik this quick.
in fact, the improvement of hills after 2 years of sucking will only reinforce keeping him.
dwyer on the other hand is destined for the practice squad. if i'm not mistaken, this may be vincents last year of eligibility on the PS ... but i may be wrong.

Come back here Saturday and see. Why can't Urbik be on the PS. he is still eligible. Do you think someone whill snatch him off waivers? I doubt it and if they do, we'll survive.

Urbik won't make the team. I'd rather keep Eason, Battle, or Madison over him (others i don't think will make it).

JPPT1974
09-02-2010, 03:48 PM
We shall see how the Steelers do without Big Ben, now won't we?!

MasterOfPuppets
09-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Come back here Saturday and see. Why can't Urbik be on the PS. he is still eligible. Do you think someone whill snatch him off waivers? I doubt it and if they do, we'll survive.

Urbik won't make the team. I'd rather keep Eason, Battle, or Madison over him (others i don't think will make it).
its not about what we think, its what the steelers think. since we don't know what they think, the logical approach is look at what they've done in the past and what they haven't done in the past.
what they haven't done is cut top 3 picks after just one year. last year the popular thought around here is that tony hills would be cut. why not ? there was no good reports about him coming out of camp, infact tomlin even supplied us with some negative thoughts about him. he looked like shit in preseason . yet they gave him a chance and he's showed improvement.
bruce davis was garbage from day one. any comments from tomlin about davis were negative. did he get cut after one year of sucking ? no.
willie reid ....sucked...was he cut his first year ? nope
alonzo jackson...2 years
scott shields....2 years

SteelMember
09-02-2010, 04:29 PM

Yes. There is already 1 too many secondary players, imo. Traditionally they keep 10. (6/4) For as much as folks like Butler, and I do too, there is simply not enough room. I'd personally like to see an extra lineman instead.

At WR, we traditionally have 5. Now, we could do 6, but there would have to be a sacrifice at another position with some already tight races. Mine kept 6, cause I only kept 4 RB's. :hunch:

SteelMember
09-02-2010, 04:32 PM
This was mine for whatever it's worth. (in bold)...

71 Adams, Flozell T
26 Allen, Will S
55 Bailey, Patrick LB
16 Batch, Charlie QB
81 Battle, Arnaz WR
87 Bright, Eugene TE
77 Brooks, Dorian OG
84 Brown, Antonio WR
27 Burnett, Joe CB
40 Butler, Crezdon CB
25 Clark, Ryan FS
42 Cromartie-Smith, Da'Mon
10 Dixon, Dennis QB
41 Dwyer, Jonathan RB
93 Eason, Nick DE
79 Essex, Trai G
51 Farrior, James ILB
50 Foote, Larry LB
73 Foster, Ramon T
57 Fox, Keyaron ILB
22 Gay, William CB
90 Gibson, Thaddeus LB
19 Grisham, Tyler WR
98 Hampton, Casey NT
92 Harrison, James OLB
77 Harris, Ra'Shon DE
62 Hartwig, Justin C
66 Hills, Tony T
76 Hoke, Chris NT
96 Hood, Ziggy DE
85 Johnson, David TE
67 Jolly, Kyle OT
99 Keisel, Brett DE
68 Kemoeatu, Chris G
4 Leftwich, Byron QB
64 Legursky, Doug C
23 Lewis, Keenan CB
11 Logan, Stefan RB
15 London, Brandon WR
37 Madison, Anthony CB
20 McFadden, Bryant CB
49 McHugh, Sean TE
69 McLendon, Steve DT
34 Mendenhall, Rashard RB
83 Miller, Heath TE
21 Moore, Mewelde RB
29 Mundy, Ryan FS
71 Paxson, Scott NT
43 Polamalu, Troy SS
53 Pouncey, Maurkice C/G
82 Randle El, Antwaan WR
33 Redman, Isaac RB
3 Reed, Jeff K
7 Roethlisberger, Ben QB
88 Sanders, Emmanuel WR
72 Scott, Jonathan T
9 Sepulveda, Dan P
91 Smith, Aaron DE
89 Spaeth, Matt TE
78 Starks, Max T
45 Stewart, Matt LS
44 Summers, Frank RB
47 Sylvester, Stevenson ILB
24 Taylor, Ike CB
46 Thornton, Justin S
94 Timmons, Lawrence LB
65 Urbik, Kraig G
28 Vincent, Justin RB
17 Wallace, Mike WR
86 Ward, Hines WR
60 Warren, Greg LS
48 Williams, Renauld LB
56 Woodley, LaMarr OLB
97 Worilds, Jason OLB
95 Worthington, Doug DT

Practice Squad:

40 Butler, Crezdon CB
42 Cromartie-Smith, Da'Mon
19 Grisham, Tyler WR
67 Jolly, Kyle OT
44 Summers, Frank RB
47 Sylvester, Stevenson ILB
46 Thornton, Justin S
95 Worthington, Doug DT

SteelKnight
09-02-2010, 04:49 PM
its not about what we think, its what the steelers think. since we don't know what they think, the logical approach is look at what they've done in the past and what they haven't done in the past.
what they haven't done is cut top 3 picks after just one year. last year the popular thought around here is that tony hills would be cut. why not ? there was no good reports about him coming out of camp, infact tomlin even supplied us with some negative thoughts about him. he looked like shit in preseason . yet they gave him a chance and he's showed improvement.
bruce davis was garbage from day one. any comments from tomlin about davis were negative. did he get cut after one year of sucking ? no.
willie reid ....sucked...was he cut his first year ? nope
alonzo jackson...2 years
scott shields....2 years

Some good points but i say Nah...lol Even Bouchette thinks he'll get cut. The thing is he has a chance to make the PS. I don't think he'll be snapped off waivers.

Let's see your 53 man roster to see who you have dropped in favor of Urbik.

SteelKnight
09-02-2010, 04:56 PM
This was mine for whatever it's worth. (in bold)...

71 Adams, Flozell T
26 Allen, Will S ...

Your list would be more fun to read by position. What i did to process it quickly was to look to your cuts (non bold). The significant ones were Butler, Hartwig, Logan, McHugh, Jonathan Scott, Frank Summers and Stevensen Sylvester.

One notable keep is Urbik. You felt Urbik could help more than any of the above players?

ETL
09-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Ok, here's my offering:

Total Offense (24)
QB (3) Roethlisberger, Leftwich, Dixon
RB (4) Mendenhall, Redman, Moore, Logan
WR (5) Ward, Wallace, Randle El, Sanders, Battle
TE (3) Miller, Spaeth, Johnson
OL (9) Starks, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Foster, Legursky, Essex, Hills, Urbik, Adams

Total Def (26)
NG (2) Hampton, Hoke
DL (5) Smith, Keisel, Hood, Harris, Eason
OLB (4) Harrison, Woodley, Worilds, Gibson
ILB (5) Timmons, Foote, Farrior, Fox, Sylvester
CB (6) Taylor, McFadden, Lewis, Gay, Burnett, Butler
S (4) Polamalu, Clark, Allen, Mundy

I say we keep both Eason and Harris, keep Sylvester and also keep Urbik - only because he was a 3rd round pick last year. With urbik, I am not predicting what the steelers should do but what they WILL do.

SteelKnight
09-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Ok, here's my offering:

Total Offense (24)
QB (3) Roethlisberger, Leftwich, Dixon
RB (4) Mendenhall, Redman, Moore, Logan
WR (5) Ward, Wallace, Randle El, Sanders, Battle
TE (3) Miller, Spaeth, Johnson
OL (9) Starks, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Foster, Legursky, Essex, Hills, Urbik, Adams

Total Def (26)
NG (2) Hampton, Hoke
DL (5) Smith, Keisel, Hood, Harris, Eason
OLB (4) Harrison, Woodley, Worilds, Gibson
ILB (5) Timmons, Foote, Farrior, Fox, Sylvester
CB (6) Taylor, McFadden, Lewis, Gay, Burnett, Butler
S (4) Polamalu, Clark, Allen, Mundy

I say we keep both Eason and Harris, keep Sylvester and also keep Urbik - only because he was a 3rd round pick last year. With urbik, I am not predicting what the steelers should do but what they WILL do.
I'd like to keep Eason but I couldn't find the room. I see you cut Antonio Brown and Dwyer. I'd easily keep both of tose over Urbik. Urbik is PS eligible. Since you have no Jonathan Scott, who is your back up RT? People talk about Essex and Foster but they have received no reps there. Hills only plays LT. I think you need Scott as insurance.

ETL
09-02-2010, 10:12 PM
I'd like to keep Eason but I couldn't find the room. I see you cut Antonio Brown and Dwyer. I'd easily keep both of tose over Urbik. Urbik is PS eligible. Since you have no Jonathan Scott, who is your back up RT? People talk about Essex and Foster but they have received no reps there. Hills only plays LT. I think you need Scott as insurance.

I seem to recall that Ramon Foster played some RT. I may be wrong. I think they keep Dwyer before Antonio Brown and I agree with you, I would want both before Urbik.

Urbik was given a large enough signing bonus to improve and develop. I can't see him get cut by Colbert. It isn't the best thing to do but it is what they will do. They did it with Alonzo Jackson and Bruce Davis - neither of them got cut in year 2.

Stinky Fred
09-02-2010, 10:15 PM
We have 53 educated guys?

SteelKnight
09-02-2010, 10:15 PM
I seem to recall that Ramon Foster played some RT. I may be wrong. I think they keep Dwyer before Antonio Brown and I agree with you, I would want both before Urbik.

Urbik was given a large enough signing bonus to improve and develop. I can't see him get cut by Colbert. It isn't the best thing to do but it is what they will do. They did it with Alonzo Jackson and Bruce Davis - neither of them got cut in year 2.

Did Foster practice RT this season?

SteelKnight
09-03-2010, 03:07 PM

It looks like the Steelers are about to cut the strings on your puppet Urbik. I hate to say I told you so but...I told you so. No biggie. If nobody picks him up, he is eligible for the PS.

SteelKnight
09-03-2010, 05:08 PM
My Roster is looking solid with 11 of the 21 men cut already. In addition to the 10 released, I hear Frank Summers will be released...as I predicted.

The Steelers released 10 players today including veteran tight end Sean McHugh, a member of their Super Bowl XLIII team.

The others include defensive tackle Scott Paxson, running back Justin Vincent, tight ends Eugene Bright, guard Dorian Brooks, tackle Kyle Jolly, wide receiver Brandon London, long-snapper Matt Stewart, safety Justin Thornon and linebacker Renauld Williams.

They must remove 11 more to reach the 53 man roster by 6 p.m. Saturday.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10246/1084827-100.stm#ixzz0yVUKeHRg

SteelKnight
09-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Plus I already predicted cutting Hartwig and Urbik and rumors are out about them too. That leaves it to 8 men that need to be cut.

SteelKnight
09-03-2010, 05:25 PM
So in addition to Frank Summers (not officially announced), the Steelers must cut 10 additional players. I'm almost sure it will come from the list below. My guesses for the 10 cuts are in bold.

What are your guesses? Guess now while it is still fun.

Active
# Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Age Exp. College

55 Bailey, Patrick LB 6-4 235 24 3 Duke
81 Battle, Arnaz WR 6-1 208 30 8 Notre Dame
42 Cromartie-Smith, Da'Mon S 6-2 210 23 R UTEP
41 Dwyer, Jonathan RB 5-11 229 21 R Georgia Tech
93 Eason, Nick DE 6-3 305 30 8 Clemson
90 Gibson, Thaddeus OLB 6-2 243 22 R Ohio State
19 Grisham, Tyler WR 5-11 180 23 1 Clemson
77 Harris, Ra'Shon DE 6-5 300 24 2 Oregon
62 Hartwig, Justin C 6-5 312 31 9 Kansas
66 Hills, Tony T 6-5 304 25 3 Texas
76 Hoke, Chris NT 6-2 305 34 9 Brigham Young
4 Leftwich, Byron QB 6-5 250 30 8 Marshall
11 Logan, Stefan RB 5-6 180 29 2 South Dakota
37 Madison, Anthony DB 5-9 180 28 5 Alabama
69 McLendon, Steve DT 6-4 280 24 1 Troy
72 Scott, Jonathan T 6-6 318 27 4 Texas
47 Sylvester, Stevenson ILB 6-2 231 22 R Utah
65 Urbik, Kraig G 6-5 323 24 2 Wisconsin
95 Worthington, Doug DT 6-5 292 23 R Ohio State

SteelKnight
09-03-2010, 05:41 PM
I can't believe people are missing out on the fun to make their team and back it up. As soon as the final cuts occur, we will see a lot of posts with people critical or acting like they knew all along.

lol Whatever

Steel_Bus_24
09-03-2010, 05:42 PM
We'll be making a big mistake if we let Butler go....with his raw physical ability and a little coaching he can easily be just as good as Ike Taylor... and probably a little better

If we're going to cut a cb it should come from

Gay, Lewis, Burnett

SteelKnight
09-03-2010, 05:48 PM
We'll be making a big mistake if we let Butler go....with his raw physical ability and a little coaching he can easily be just as good as Ike Taylor... and probably a little better

If we're going to cut a cb it should come from

Gay, Lewis, Burnett

No way we cut Gay or Lewis. I think we keep 6 CB. Only Madison will be cut.

ETL
09-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Here's my 10 - with Antonio Brown being cut. Where did you read about Urbik being cut? Can you provide link?

81 Battle, Arnaz WR 6-1 208 30 8 Notre Dame
93 Eason, Nick DE 6-3 305 30 8 Clemson
90 Gibson, Thaddeus OLB 6-2 243 22 R Ohio State
77 Harris, Ra'Shon DE 6-5 300 24 2 Oregon
66 Hills, Tony T 6-5 304 25 3 Texas
76 Hoke, Chris NT 6-2 305 34 9 Brigham Young
4 Leftwich, Byron QB 6-5 250 30 8 Marshall
11 Logan, Stefan RB 5-6 180 29 2 South Dakota
72 Scott, Jonathan T 6-6 318 27 4 Texas
47 Sylvester, Stevenson ILB 6-2 231 22 R Utah
Antonio Brown, WR R

ETL
09-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Just read the twitter stuff about Urbik being cut and Summers being cut too (not officially yet). Here's my last 10 cuts with the new information (Scott stays)

Antonio Brown, WR R

ETL
09-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Ok - adjustment #2 - apparently Dwyer was told he made the team - so ...

93 Eason, Nick DL
Antonio Brown, WR R

SteelKnight
09-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Ok - adjustment #2 - apparently Dwyer was told he made the team - so ...

93 Eason, Nick DL
Antonio Brown, WR R

lol At least you are having fun with me and taking chances. Then you have people like that Down guy wo argues so much but when the time comes to put himself out there he disappeared. Wait until after the cuts. Then we'll hear him (or read him) full force. He would have earned some respect from me had he made a 53. Right or wrong...respect...because then I know later he is willing to admit he made a mistake.

I'm glad Dwyer made it. I knew he wouldn't survive PS and e has more potential than Summers.

What is it you have against Brown? lol There are teams that could use him.

SteelKnight
09-03-2010, 07:02 PM
With Leftwich injured, the Steelers need to find a QB for the PS. They don't need to go out and get a veteran but Dixon is mobile and he could get injured at any time. Batch could get injured the next play because he is old and will be sacked.

They need a PS guy who can run QB on the scout team and learn a very limited Steelers playbook should he need to be moved to the active roster.

SteelKnight
09-03-2010, 07:19 PM
We can go the dull route or maybe Jarrett Brown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZdwc_gi0Co

SteelKnight
09-04-2010, 02:42 AM
Pitt Trib took there guess. Here is ow their list differs from mine.

Battle over Logan...this may be but I didn't see much ST wise from Battle
Eason over Harris...this may be. I went with youth but I can see this happening too.
Madison over Burnett...possible but I think Burnett has upside

That's it. The rest of our 53 was exactly the same.

ETL
09-04-2010, 08:34 AM
What is it you have against Brown? lol There are teams that could use him.

If we could keep more guys on the roster, I would love to keep Antonio Brown. I believe the only way he will make the team was to be a stand out on special teams and he didn't do so well the last two games. I think they will keep Battle and Logan because they are relatively young and experienced. Brown would be a nice addition to the PS.

Tone's Toes
09-04-2010, 09:19 AM
My guess

QB's (3)
Roethlisberger
Batch
Dixon

RB/FB (4)
Mendy
Moore
Redman
Dwyer

WR's (6)
Ward
Wallace
Randle El
Sanders
Brown
Battle

TE (3)
Miller
Spaeth
Johnson

O-Line (9)
Starks
Kemo
Pouncey
Essex
Adams
Scott
Legursky
Foster
Hills

D-Line (6)
Keisel
Hampton
Smith
Hood
Hoke
Eason

OLB (4)
Harrison
Woodley
Worilds
Bailey

MLB (5)
Farrior
Timmons
Foote
Fox
Sylvester

Safeties (4)
Polamalu
Clark
Allen
Mundy

CB's (6)
Taylor
McFadden
Gay
Lewis
Butler
Madison

Specialist (3)
Reed
Sepulveda
Warren

Madison over Burnett and Bailey over Gibson. Personally, I would keep Gibson over Bailey but I don't think they will. One of Sly and Gibson has to go and I think it will be Gibson.

cloppbeast
09-04-2010, 12:43 PM
I've changed my mind about Logan; I hope he makes the team. Logan has outperformed Battle on special teams, plus he is a better returner than Brown and Sanders.

I originally thought Battle was a better fit because he added depth at WR, even if Logan was a slightly better special teams player. But with the emergence of Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders, it seems as though we don't need the added depth. I would almost rather have Tyler Grisham than Battle.

So I'm saying Logan over Battle.

With the way the special teams played against Carolina, I would not be surprised to see Madison make this team.

SteelKnight
09-04-2010, 01:50 PM
If we could keep more guys on the roster, I would love to keep Antonio Brown. I believe the only way he will make the team was to be a stand out on special teams and he didn't do so well the last two games. I think they will keep Battle and Logan because they are relatively young and experienced. Brown would be a nice addition to the PS.

Brown could help many teams catching as a WR...maybe 3rd or 4th. I don't think he clears waivers if they cut him.

SteelKnight
09-04-2010, 01:56 PM
My guess

QB's (3)
Roethlisberger
Batch
Dixon

RB/FB (4)
Mendy
Moore
Redman
Dwyer

WR's (6)
Ward
Wallace
Randle El
Sanders
Brown
Battle

TE (3)
Miller
Spaeth
Johnson

O-Line (9)
Starks
Kemo
Pouncey
Essex
Adams
Scott
Legursky
Foster
Hills

D-Line (6)
Keisel
Hampton
Smith
Hood
Hoke
Eason

OLB (4)
Harrison
Woodley
Worilds
Bailey

MLB (5)
Farrior
Timmons
Foote
Fox
Sylvester

Safeties (4)
Polamalu
Clark
Allen
Mundy

CB's (6)
Taylor
McFadden
Gay
Lewis
Butler
Madison

Specialist (3)
Reed
Sepulveda
Warren

Madison over Burnett and Bailey over Gibson. Personally, I would keep Gibson over Bailey but I don't think they will. One of Sly and Gibson has to go and I think it will be Gibson.

At first I thought you were taking no risks but you did with Madison and Bailey over Burnett and Gibson.

I'm starting to feel Eason will make it over Harris too. I gambled with youth.

Tanks for participating. These are fun to read BEFORE. Watch Down come talking a lot afterwards. lol

SteelKnight
09-04-2010, 01:58 PM
I've changed my mind about Logan; I hope he makes the team. Logan has outperformed Battle on special teams, plus he is a better returner than Brown and Sanders.

I originally thought Battle was a better fit because he added depth at WR, even if Logan was a slightly better special teams player. But with the emergence of Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders, it seems as though we don't need the added depth. I would almost rather have Tyler Grisham than Battle.

So I'm saying Logan over Battle.

With the way the special teams played against Carolina, I would not be surprised to see Madison make this team.

I hear ya but what has Madison been doing for us on ST this preseason. He needed to get down and make about a third of the tackles to make this team.

ricardisimo
09-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Wait a sec... they're cutting Urbik? Is that for real? They're keeping Flozell and cutting their second pick from last year??

steeltheone
09-04-2010, 02:29 PM
We have to many questions on this team to add another one. Logan must stay.

SteelKnight
09-04-2010, 02:51 PM
We have to many questions on this team to add another one. Logan must stay.

I agree. Everyone else who returns stresses me out. Brown has that rookie nervous look like he is ready to fumble. lol Let him try next year.

In addition, it seems Logan as been contributing on coverage.

SteelKnight
09-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Wait a sec... they're cutting Urbik? Is that for real? They're keeping Flozell and cutting their second pick from last year??

Of course. Flozell is the starting RT. Urbik sucks. He can't beat out Kemo, Essex, Foster and probably not Legursky either at guard. It's time for him to go.

The good news is he is still eligible for PS. I doubt someone will grab him before tomorrow but if they do, good riddens. He deserves a PS spot but that's it.

SteelKnight
09-04-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm so happy we are taking Dwyer over Summers. He has much more potential.

Summers sucks.

People like him because he is different.

1.He is short
2. He has a cool nickname "Tank"
3. He is culturally unique.

That's it.

If he were black or white, 2 inches taller and named John Smith, you wouldn't want him on your team.

SteelKnight
09-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Less than 2 hours.

This as been the toughest year to make a 53. In the past when we were not focused on developing young talent and we wanted to use te extra spots for ST players who couldn't play any other position, it was easy. There were always Andre Fraisers, Patrick Baileys, Woods, Madisons, etc. to cut. This year I cut them already and it was still tough.

This might mean good things for our future...especially at WR, LB, and CB.

cloppbeast
09-04-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm so happy we are taking Dwyer over Summers. He has much more potential.

Dwyer is still a bum. He'll get big runs every once in a while, but his inability to get the tough yards surprises me.

I wish we would have drafted Blount instead.

SteelKnight
09-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Dwyer is still a bum. He'll get big runs every once in a while, but his inability to get the tough yards surprises me.

I wish we would have drafted Blount instead.

Dwyer has a cleaner image. lol

I think Dwyer might be OK. What hurt him is the steelers running 7 times in a row and stuff like that. They became too predictable. When Batch took over for 2 and 1/2 quaters, they only through it times (for example). The defense was reading this and adapting accordingly.

If we can mix in some passes and screens, his running might be OK.

Plus. I think a year being a non dress ineligible will help him. It's like PS but only protected. If Mendenhall goes down, they can activate him.

SteelKnight
09-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Pitt Trib took there guess. Here is ow their list differs from mine.

Battle over Logan...this may be but I didn't see much ST wise from Battle
Eason over Harris...this may be. I went with youth but I can see this happening too.
Madison over Burnett...possible but I think Burnett has upside

That's it. The rest of our 53 was exactly the same.

Wow...it's done

So Pitt Trib Rev. had the roster prediction exactly right.

I'll miss Burnett. I'll miss Logan.

I trust their decision in Harris. If e was not developing muc then they can put future development hopes in Worthington and try again next year.

I guess they really felt they needed Madison and Battle on ST.

I told you guys Jonathan Scott would make it.

ETL
09-04-2010, 04:03 PM
I wish Colbert could explain what went wrong with Urbik. I don't want to hear that the guy wasn't one of the top 53 players - I already know that. I want to know what made them draft him high in the 3rd round and why they were wrong and what they learned so as to not make the same mistake in the future.

SteelKnight
09-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Here is the list for this thread:

The following players were released by the Steelers: LB Patrick Bailey, CB Joe Burnett, S Da’Mon Cromartie-Smith, WR Tyler Grisham, DE Sunny Harris, C Justin Hartwig, WR Stefan Logan, DT Steve McLendon, FB Frank Summers, OG Kraig Urbik and DT Doug Worthington.

Some are eligible for the PS and I hope we get 8 of them (or 7 plus a QB). Te ones I want are in bold. They include:

1. S Da’Mon Cromartie-Smith
2. WR Tyler Grisham
3. DT Steve McLendon
4. FB Frank Summers
5. OG Kraig Urbik
6. DT Doug Worthington.
7. TE Eugene Bright,
8. OG Dorian Brooks,
9. OT Kyle Jolly,
10. S Justin Thornton,
11. LB Renauld Williams
12. Chris Scott -eventually once off PUP

SteelKnight
09-04-2010, 04:18 PM
I wish Colbert could explain what went wrong with Urbik. I don't want to hear that the guy wasn't one of the top 53 players - I already know that. I want to know what may them draft him high in the 3rd round and why they were wrong and what they learned so as to not make the same mistake in the future.

What appened was there was a lot of pressue complaining about the O-line and the age of the defense. They wanted to go O-line first but their players were taken so once they went DE, they were never going to hear the end of it if they didn't go O-line with the next pick. It was between Urbik and Robinson wo both sucked. Bad luck drafting for need instead of BPA.