PDA

View Full Version : We are in trouble without Ben

joeyssteelcurtain
08-30-2010, 09:12 AM
At first I said 3-1 without Ben. After the first 3 preseason games i am saying maybe a 1-3 start is what we are looking at. I think we beat the bucs and that's it. What do you guys think ?

StainlessStill
08-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Don't tell Downbylaw that, according to him any bum can play QB for us as long as the defense gives him enough chances.

I think it's going to take some major time to gel with any QB thrown in there. In a f*cked up kind of way, it's looking more and more that Batch deserves a shot to be aleast considered playing most of the game in Game 4. Granted, most of the starters won't play, but with that performance last night with Dixon and Lefty, and with Lefty not REALLY having an overall good outing, Batch might be more expendable than we all think but make no mistake about it, both of these QB's need more time to get comfortable with how things are ran with each other's ability.

Even Hines said last night he doesn't even know and last night was really the first time he's worked with Dixon. Crazy to think with only 2 weeks til opening kickoff.

TackleMeBen
08-30-2010, 09:41 AM
oh no , the sky is falling thread...lol

we will be fine with lefty filling in for ben being stupid and getting suspended..lol.

you must have faith

tony hipchest
08-30-2010, 09:48 AM
we were 9-6 WITH ben last year. :hunch:

im more interested in seeing lebeau dial up some pressure defenses, so scrubs like the giants and broncos qb's cant pass the ball all over the place.

at this point, i'd say there is no need to be wishy-washy w/ your preseason predictions.

TackleMeBen
08-30-2010, 09:57 AM
preseason doesnt really mean alot.

mikeyg
08-30-2010, 10:43 AM
yes, we are

that 9-7 crap with Ben last year is just that - CRAP

we have POLA and ASMITH back - that will sure up the 4th Q collapses.

Ben had us in the lead in those games, Sweed dropped a game winner, and we spotted most teams 7 points each week

this team is not built very strong in the trenches - Ben covers for the OLINE, Troy for the DLINE.

those 2 are truly GREAT players

joeyssteelcurtain
08-30-2010, 11:21 AM
yes, we are

that 9-7 crap with Ben last year is just that - CRAP

we have POLA and ASMITH back - that will sure up the 4th Q collapses.

Ben had us in the lead in those games, Sweed dropped a game winner, and we spotted most teams 7 points each week

this team is not built very strong in the trenches - Ben covers for the OLINE, Troy for the DLINE.

those 2 are truly GREAT players

That is 100% right i hope we can get 2 wins without him

vasteeler
08-30-2010, 11:27 AM

im more interested in seeing lebeau dial up some pressure defenses, so scrubs like the giants and broncos qb's cant pass the ball all over the place.

at this point, i'd say there is no need to be wishy-washy w/ your preseason predictions.

me too!!!

SacknificentStew56
08-30-2010, 11:46 AM
I believe Lefty will silence all the critics and carry the load for us. The two road games scare me less than the two home games.

joeyssteelcurtain
08-30-2010, 11:54 AM

Why is that we where 9-7 with lebeau dialing up pressure defenses last year. I dont care what you guys say Ben is the reason we have 2 rings in the past 5 years without Ben we don't make the playoffs this year

Downbylaw
08-30-2010, 06:55 PM
We didnt make the playoffs TWICE with Ben. I dont get your point. One bad meaningless game and the sky falls. Who is the Steelers lowest rated qb in the preseason? ITS BEN ROETHLISBERGER. Do you still want to place all this value in preseason games? I dont think you do.

thebus36idf
08-30-2010, 07:21 PM

we will be fine with lefty filling in for ben being stupid and getting suspended..lol.

you must have faith

Guess we can't talk about anyting then! Did you see how bad these guys were? I don't know why Batch isn't being considered more seriously. He has always been good he just can't avoid injuries. What do we have to lose at givimg him a shot.

Downbylaw
08-30-2010, 11:03 PM

you must have faith

This is the real issue.

chacha
08-31-2010, 10:22 AM
nobody looked amazing but it was just the preseason the team will get it together when it counts

TackleMeBen
08-31-2010, 10:37 AM
Guess we can't talk about anyting then! Did you see how bad these guys were? I don't know why Batch isn't being considered more seriously. He has always been good he just can't avoid injuries. What do we have to lose at givimg him a shot.
yeah i seen how bad they were. but its not like the sky is falling...

This is the real issue.
the only person who is to blame for this qb situation is Ben.

nobody looked amazing but it was just the preseason the team will get it together when it counts
i agree. when it counts i am sure the team will get it together and play well.

i found this statement quite funny and true..lol
if Ben gets all the 1sttm reps Thu, Left wont hve played w/starters for 3wks on 9/12. In what univrse outside Bentopia does that make sense?

joeyssteelcurtain
08-31-2010, 12:04 PM
We didnt make the playoffs TWICE with Ben. I dont get your point. One bad meaningless game and the sky falls. Who is the Steelers lowest rated qb in the preseason? ITS BEN ROETHLISBERGER. Do you still want to place all this value in preseason games? I dont think you do.

Yes that is true but we did win 2 rings the the guy do you think Dixon or Leftwich could of won those 2 rings ?

TackleMeBen
08-31-2010, 12:15 PM
Yes that is true but we did win 2 rings the the guy do you think Dixon or Leftwich could of won those 2 rings ?
you do have to credit ben with the playoff run to the 06 SB, but he played horrible in the SB,it was the defense that kept them in that game.

the second SB was Ben.

steeltheone
08-31-2010, 12:59 PM
You newer fans didn't go thru the " dry spell" of Quarterbacks from 1982 thru 2005. Franchise Quarterbacks are few and far between.

SteelCityMom
08-31-2010, 01:15 PM
You newer fans didn't go thru the " dry spell" of Quarterbacks from 1982 thru 2005. Franchise Quarterbacks are few and far between.

Exactly. I don't sit here and expect the Steelers to make the playoffs every single year with Ben, I don't expect the Steelers with him to be a dynasty like the 70's Steelers were...but we have a better chance of those things happening with him than without him.

I'm also not going to panic over the first 4 games without Ben. I still think they'll go at least 2-2. I also am looking at the upside of both Lefty and Dixon running into problems in the preseason. This way, they have time and tape to go back and make corrections of those issues.

Downbylaw
08-31-2010, 02:56 PM

No way of telling but Leftwich outplayed Ben the last time he was a Steeler. Just the facts.

Downbylaw
08-31-2010, 02:58 PM

I went through it. I have been a Steeler fan since 74. Poor job of drafting qbs and talent all around. Now we dont have that problem. Whick one of those qbs were a legit starter? NONE

Downbylaw
08-31-2010, 03:04 PM
Exactly. I don't sit here and expect the Steelers to make the playoffs every single year with Ben, I don't expect the Steelers with him to be a dynasty like the 70's Steelers were...but we have a better chance of those things happening with him than without him.

I'm also not going to panic over the first 4 games without Ben. I still think they'll go at least 2-2. I also am looking at the upside of both Lefty and Dixon running into problems in the preseason. This way, they have time and tape to go back and make corrections of those issues.

That is my point. We should be a dynasty. No way those Pats teams of the early part of the year are better than us. They are consistently in the playoffs just like the Colts as should we. We missed the playoffs after winning a SB in 06 (Motorcycle bs) and in 09 (Mcnulty bs), now the start of our season is screwed because of the Georgia bs. Call me a Ben hater all you like but my goodness this guy is the most controversial guy in Steelers History and he hasnt spent a day in jail. So we should give him a pass because of the 25 year drought? PFFFFFFFFFT I LOVE THE STEELERS I only LIKE Ben. There lies the difference with me.

chacha
08-31-2010, 05:40 PM
I dunno about the most controversial guy in our teams history, maybe QB, sure.

SteelCityMom
08-31-2010, 06:06 PM
That is my point. We should be a dynasty. No way those Pats teams of the early part of the year are better than us. They are consistently in the playoffs just like the Colts as should we. We missed the playoffs after winning a SB in 06 (Motorcycle bs) and in 09 (Mcnulty bs), now the start of our season is screwed because of the Georgia bs. Call me a Ben hater all you like but my goodness this guy is the most controversial guy in Steelers History and he hasnt spent a day in jail. So we should give him a pass because of the 25 year drought? PFFFFFFFFFT I LOVE THE STEELERS I only LIKE Ben. There lies the difference with me.

Well...there were a lot of different factors in play for both those years. Yes, a good bit of it in '06 was because of Ben's accident, but Cowher wasn't doing such a good job coaching that year either (apparently that's the year he found out Kaye had cancer, so it's understandable in hindsight), but he shouldn't have been in there a lot of the time. Cowher should have recognized somewhere along the line that he just wasn't ok to play most of that year.

In '09 Ben had his best statistical year to date. A lot of problems came about with scoring in the red zone, and yes, some of that was Ben's fault...a good bit of it too though was shoddy play calling. It's a problem that everyone has recognized to some degree.

The defense in '09 was good, but it was like the reverse of '08. In '08 the D was constantly bailing out the offense and allowing them to make comebacks (note that rarely ever did a team score more than 20 pts on the them in '08). It was completely opposite in '09. The offense could get a decent lead, but the D would slip in the 3rd and 4th quarters and squander that lead to nothing. And yes, I know a lot of that had to do with Troy and Aaron being injured...but that's what was going on.

I think in these 4 games we'll see that Ben is just as important to the offense as Troy and Aaron are to the defense. I just hope Ben learns his lesson this time and doesn't do anymore stupid shit.

stb_steeler
08-31-2010, 07:29 PM

Ahh Ernie Holmes ring a bell?...perhaps Bam Morris?... Holmes shoots up a highway at police while Bam runs trunk loads of Weed thru town like a moonshiner on hot southern summer evening! I hardly think Ben's situation compares to these.

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Ahh Ernie Holmes ring a bell?...perhaps Bam Morris?... Holmes shoots up a highway at police while Bam runs trunk loads of Weed thru town like a moonshiner on hot southern summer evening! I hardly think Ben's situation compares to these.

I am familar with EVERY bad boy the Steelers have had and BEN by far is the most controversial. At the time those guys got in trouble there wasnt as much scrutiny by the media as there is today. Are you saying they put the Steeler logo in as bad a light as Ben did? Sorry, I think not. Neither of those two guys were identifiable to the public as Ben is. The majority of the people who know about those incidents are Steeler fans. The whole world knows about Ben situations ESPECIALLY women.

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Well...there were a lot of different factors in play for both those years. Yes, a good bit of it in '06 was because of Ben's accident, but Cowher wasn't doing such a good job coaching that year either (apparently that's the year he found out Kaye had cancer, so it's understandable in hindsight), but he shouldn't have been in there a lot of the time. Cowher should have recognized somewhere along the line that he just wasn't ok to play most of that year.

In '09 Ben had his best statistical year to date. A lot of problems came about with scoring in the red zone, and yes, some of that was Ben's fault...a good bit of it too though was shoddy play calling. It's a problem that everyone has recognized to some degree.

The defense in '09 was good, but it was like the reverse of '08. In '08 the D was constantly bailing out the offense and allowing them to make comebacks (note that rarely ever did a team score more than 20 pts on the them in '08). It was completely opposite in '09. The offense could get a decent lead, but the D would slip in the 3rd and 4th quarters and squander that lead to nothing. And yes, I know a lot of that had to do with Troy and Aaron being injured...but that's what was going on.

I think in these 4 games we'll see that Ben is just as important to the offense as Troy and Aaron are to the defense. I just hope Ben learns his lesson this time and doesn't do anymore stupid shit.

I agree with a lot of this. I was screaming for Cowher to take him out ESPECIALLY that Raider game. Only a fool would think that Ben is not important to our offense. Of course he is. He is our starting Qb and a damn good one. He will be missed but I truly believe the show will go on. We will be 4-0 or 3-1 in his absence.

SteelCityMom
09-01-2010, 10:52 AM
I am familar with EVERY bad boy the Steelers have had and BEN by far is the most controversial. At the time those guys got in trouble there wasnt as much scrutiny by the media as there is today. Are you saying they put the Steeler logo in as bad a light as Ben did? Sorry, I think not. Neither of those two guys were identifiable to the public as Ben is. The majority of the people who know about those incidents are Steeler fans. The whole world knows about Ben situations ESPECIALLY women.

The only reason Ben is more controversial is because the internet didn't exist in the 70's.

It's not that there wasn't as much scrutiny in those days by the media, it's simply there wasn't as much media, and one story from Pittsburgh didn't stretch across the world in a matter of minutes.

Suppose Ben played in the 70s and did this, do you think anyone outside of Pittsburgh would have heard of it? Nope. Now imagine if Ernie Holmes played today and shot at a police helicopter while running from the cops....

SteelCityMom
09-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I agree with a lot of this. I was screaming for Cowher to take him out ESPECIALLY that Raider game. Only a fool would think that Ben is not important to our offense. Of course he is. He is our starting Qb and a damn good one. He will be missed but I truly believe the show will go on. We will be 4-0 or 3-1 in his absence.

Well...if you really believe the Steelers will go 4-0 or 3-1 without Ben (even this far into preseason), then why get all worked up about how many snaps Ben is getting with the 1st team? Your predictions seem to suggest it doesn't matter as much as you argue that it will.

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Thats like saying "I know we will win this game but lets play our 2nd team the whole game". To be the best you have to be at your best. Part of being your best is preparation. As you see despite my concerns with Tomlins coaching style I have yet to back off of my 4-0, 3-1 prediction. Worth noting.

DanRooney
09-01-2010, 11:19 AM

You really don't know football.

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 11:22 AM
The only reason Ben is more controversial is because the internet didn't exist in the 70's.

It's not that there wasn't as much scrutiny in those days by the media, it's simply there wasn't as much media, and one story from Pittsburgh didn't stretch across the world in a matter of minutes.

Suppose Ben played in the 70s and did this, do you think anyone outside of Pittsburgh would have heard of it? Nope. Now imagine if Ernie Holmes played today and shot at a police helicopter while running from the cops....

People who shoot at cops are sometimes heroes. Bonnie and Clyde, John Wojtowicz (Dog Day Afternoon) and the North Hollywood shootout. However, when you talk about rape or pedophilia, I dont care what era it is, that kind of stuff is not looked upon in a good light. No matter what semantical diatribe anyone goes on, the fact remains that no Steeler is more controversial than Ben.

DanRooney
09-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Our secondary was absolutely dreadful last year and it doesn't look like Lewis or Burnett are doing much to help. I'm really more concerned with us making strides in that department than the QB issue.

Dixon and Leftwich are what they are. Dixon is still unable to make good decisions with the ball when he can't run first and has a mediocre arm while Leftwich looks like an autistic kid back there trying to solve a calculus problem. I hope Goodell lessens the suspension to 2 or 3 games because he is the Steelers entire offense.

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 11:25 AM
You really don't know football.

I dont expect any of you to agree with me, that would be uncivilized.

SteelCityMom
09-01-2010, 11:28 AM
People who shoot at cops are sometimes heroes. Bonnie and Clyde, John Wojtowicz (Dog Day Afternoon) and the North Hollywood shootout. However, when you talk about rape or pedophilia, I dont care what era it is, that kind of stuff is not looked upon in a good light. No matter what semantical diatribe anyone goes on, the fact remains that no Steeler is more controversial than Ben.

Mario Lemieux was involved in a rape scandal in the early 90's....you rarely hear about that (even when it happened). Nobody would ever think of him as controversial....why? Media outlets. They did not exist the same way as they do now. For example, if Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin were involved in a rape scandal, it would be headline news across the world and people would have their pitchforks and torches ready to go for each game.

Yes, the media DOES have that much influence over people. That was my main point.

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Our secondary was absolutely dreadful last year and it doesn't look like Lewis or Burnett are doing much to help. I'm really more concerned with us making strides in that department than the QB issue.

Dixon and Leftwich are what they are. Dixon is still unable to make good decisions with the ball when he can't run first and has a mediocre arm while Leftwich looks like an autistic kid back there trying to solve a calculus problem. I hope Goodell lessens the suspension to 2 or 3 games because he is the Steelers entire offense.

If you guys expect our secondary to get a lot of picks, its not going to happen in the Lebeau scheme. We play too much zone. But I agree they were bad as they have been for about TEN years. Our secondary is always bad in my opinion. So EVERY Steeler Qb can be criticized except Ben. I get it. Lastly, you posted that I dont know football and thats your opinion. Dont know how you can say that and then state "I hope Goodell lessens the suspension to 2 to 3 games" when EVERYONE knows it will be 4 game minimum. The only reduction will be from 6 to 4 or 5 games and thats it. Ben is our whole offense? WOW LOL

StainlessStill
09-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Mario Lemieux was involved in a rape scandal in the early 90's....you rarely hear about that (even when it happened). Nobody would ever think of him as controversial....why? Media outlets. They did not exist the same way as they do now. For example, if Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin were involved in a rape scandal, it would be headline news across the world and people would have their pitchforks and torches ready to go for each game.

Yes, the media DOES have that much influence over people. That was my main point.

You are on a roll SCMom, great post.:helmet:

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 11:40 AM

Mario plays in a sport that only has a handful of recognizeable stars (All time). I cant think of a high profile hockey story ever. I'm sure they are some but thats my point, its not popular enough nationaly for people to care. The Michael Jordan gambling and subsequent death of his Father were front page news. Billy Martin/George Steinbrenner/Reggie Jackson stories were highly publicized. Also, Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, Michael Irvin, Thomas Hollywood Henderson, David Thompson (cocain) and March Chumuras rape trial. All were well publicized before the so called media blitz. But of course the media dictates how people think and act, thats why it was one of my initial points.

TackleMeBen
09-01-2010, 11:42 AM

you are very right about that. the media has influeced the way people think about things.

SteelCityMom
09-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Mario plays in a sport that only has a handful of recognizeable stars (All time). I cant think of a high profile hockey story ever. I'm sure they are some but thats my point, its not popular enough nationaly for people to care. The Michael Jordan gambling and subsequent death of his Father were front page news. Billy Martin/George Steinbrenner/Reggie Jackson stories were highly publicized. Also, Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, Michael Irvin, Thomas Hollywood Henderson, David Thompson (cocain) and March Chumuras rape trial. All were well publicized before the so called media blitz. But of course the media dictates how people think and act, thats why it was one of my initial points.

Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky and Sidney Crosby are probably the 3 best known hockey players to people in the US right now. Even people who have never watched a hockey game in their lives know who they are. Trust me, Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky were to the sport then what Sidney Crosby and Ovechkin are to it now. If either of them were involved in the kind of scandal that Lemieux was, I can guarantee you, you would hear about it for weeks. Also note, that hockey and Lemieux were HUGE in Pittsburgh in the 90's and it was still barely even mentioned.

Another reason you don't hear about hockey scandals, is because there's rarely ever a huge hockey scandal to cover. They just don't get in that much trouble. I think the last big scandal would have to be Dany Heatley's vehicular manslaughter or a drunk Patrick Kane throwing fistacuffs at a cabbie. They're just better behaved usually.

I myself have never heard about the Jordan stuff you're talking about, and pay absolutely no attention to baseball news.

Mark Chmura's charges came in 2000...I think that qualifies as fairly recent enough to have been covered world wide. I don't know about the others...I don't remember.

It doesn't matter anyway, I still stand by my point that if Ben played in the 70s-80s (maybe even some of the 90s), you'd never hear of it. That's the only reason he's considered the most controversial...because that's how the media portrays him. Doesn't mean he's done the worst thing in Steelers history...I mean, he wasn't even charged.

TackleMeBen
09-01-2010, 12:04 PM
the reason you dont hear many scandals in hockey is b/c most hockey players arent thugs like football players.(not saying every football player is a thug, but you get what i am pointing out)

scsteeler
09-01-2010, 12:28 PM
We may not have a great start without Ben but we can be a good football team without him. How good still remains to be seen.

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky and Sidney Crosby are probably the 3 best known hockey players to people in the US right now. Even people who have never watched a hockey game in their lives know who they are. Trust me, Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky were to the sport then what Sidney Crosby and Ovechkin are to it now. If either of them were involved in the kind of scandal that Lemieux was, I can guarantee you, you would hear about it for weeks. Also note, that hockey and Lemieux were HUGE in Pittsburgh in the 90's and it was still barely even mentioned.

Another reason you don't hear about hockey scandals, is because there's rarely ever a huge hockey scandal to cover. They just don't get in that much trouble. I think the last big scandal would have to be Dany Heatley's vehicular manslaughter or a drunk Patrick Kane throwing fistacuffs at a cabbie. They're just better behaved usually.

I myself have never heard about the Jordan stuff you're talking about, and pay absolutely no attention to baseball news.

Mark Chmura's charges came in 2000...I think that qualifies as fairly recent enough to have been covered world wide. I don't know about the others...I don't remember.

It doesn't matter anyway, I still stand by my point that if Ben played in the 70s-80s (maybe even some of the 90s), you'd never hear of it. That's the only reason he's considered the most controversial...because that's how the media portrays him. Doesn't mean he's done the worst thing in Steelers history...I mean, he wasn't even charged.

Of course they are popular players as is Gordie. I'm just saying Hockey is not as popular as the big three so it doesnt command as much coverage. If the Rooneys rated the top Steeler scandals, I'm positive Ben would be #1 regardless of the era and or reasons.

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 12:50 PM
the reason you dont hear many scandals in hockey is b/c most hockey players arent thugs like football players.(not saying every football player is a thug, but you get what i am pointing out)

Its just not a popular and there isnt as much money involved. Anyone that strikes someone with a stick is a thug to me. There is plenty of that in hockey. That in fact is a felony.

SteelCityMom
09-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Of course they are popular players as is Gordie. I'm just saying Hockey is not as popular as the big three so it doesnt command as much coverage. If the Rooneys rated the top Steeler scandals, I'm positive Ben would be #1 regardless of the era and or reasons.

We'll just have to disagree on that I suppose. Maybe they would rate it at the top in terms of media coverage, but I still don't think if any player of the 70's had been accused of sexual assault, it would have garnered this kind of attention from the league or the media. Same goes for if any big name player got into a shootout with a police helicopter...it would be just as big as the Big Ben Scandal. It's just the way stories are handled today IMO.

I mean, if you really think about what Holmes did, and why the police were after him (most people, not saying you, don't know anything beyond he shot at some cops), then you'd realize that it was much more serious than an accusation. He shot at a passing motorist and then shot at the cops (injuring one) and helicopters that were chasing him...because he was depressed and pissed at his wife. You don't think that if something like that happened today it wouldn't be the biggest scandal?

Hell, the media followed Favre with helicopters into training camp and covered it like the OJ chase. :sofunny:

SteelCityMom
09-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Its just not a popular and there isnt as much money involved. Anyone that strikes someone with a stick is a thug to me. There is plenty of that in hockey. That in fact is a felony.

Hitting someone with a stick is a felony? Assault in the US is typically treated as a misdemeanor...unless you're assaulting a cop or other law enforcement.

SteelCityMom
09-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Anyway, back on topic lol...I still think the Steelers will manage without Ben for the time he's gone. And hopefully Goodell doesn't screw us over by keeping his suspension at 6 games...that bye week before game 6 is going to be crucial for Ben to get back on track with receivers and catch up on game tape.

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 01:26 PM
We'll just have to disagree on that I suppose. Maybe they would rate it at the top in terms of media coverage, but I still don't think if any player of the 70's had been accused of sexual assault, it would have garnered this kind of attention from the league or the media. Same goes for if any big name player got into a shootout with a police helicopter...it would be just as big as the Big Ben Scandal. It's just the way stories are handled today IMO.

I mean, if you really think about what Holmes did, and why the police were after him (most people, not saying you, don't know anything beyond he shot at some cops), then you'd realize that it was much more serious than an accusation. He shot at a passing motorist and then shot at the cops (injuring one) and helicopters that were chasing him...because he was depressed and pissed at his wife. You don't think that if something like that happened today it wouldn't be the biggest scandal?

Hell, the media followed Favre with helicopters into training camp and covered it like the OJ chase. :sofunny:

Of course I agree with you point. I'm the one who brought that point to the table initially.

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Anyway, back on topic lol...I still think the Steelers will manage without Ben for the time he's gone. And hopefully Goodell doesn't screw us over by keeping his suspension at 6 games...that bye week before game 6 is going to be crucial for Ben to get back on track with receivers and catch up on game tape.

He would have no reason to keep it at 6 games. Unless he knows something we all dont.

joeyssteelcurtain
09-01-2010, 04:20 PM

Well if you love the steelers like we all do. You want to see more super bowl's and we need Ben for that there is no doubt in that. Yes he has got into to trouble but he is still a GREAT qb and that can't be denied you name me another qb that has to rings that is not one of the best.

TackleMeBen
09-01-2010, 05:25 PM
He would have no reason to keep it at 6 games. Unless he knows something we all dont.
just heard that Ben's reps are going to ask goodell to reduce the suspension to 3 games

joeyssteelcurtain
09-01-2010, 05:44 PM
just heard that Ben's reps are going to ask goodell to reduce the suspension to 3 games

Yea i saw that on espn hope it works out

ricardisimo
09-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Believe it or not, I'm actually looking forward to the suspension, not because I think we're better without Ben or any nonsense like that, but I think playing the first four without him will make the team better all around. Can you imagine how good the team will feel about itself coming out of this 3-1 or even 4-0?

I also think Ben should just take his lumps and grow up some. It can only help him, psychologically and certainly physically as well.

StainlessStill
09-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Believe it or not, I'm actually looking forward to the suspension, not because I think we're better without Ben or any nonsense like that, but I think playing the first four without him will make the team better all around. Can you imagine how good the team will feel about itself coming out of this 3-1 or even 4-0?

I also think Ben should just take his lumps and grow up some. It can only help him, psychologically and certainly physically as well.

I can see us splitting, going 2-2 by the time Ben comes back, which would be a nice record considering San Diego came back from major depths last season to round off 12 straight wins. The two games that scare me is obviously the opener, and traveling to Tennessee, which is the scariest. Going 3-1 or poss. 4-0 would be a damn TREAT.:tt04:

MasterOfPuppets
09-01-2010, 06:30 PM
i think the key will be beating atlanta... if leftwich has a poor showing and they get beat, it won't be good for moral... but if they beat atlanta and he plays well, it'll do wonders for team confidence...:noidea:

StainlessStill
09-01-2010, 07:45 PM
No matter what may be, this anticipation and "all eyes on Pittsburgh" is kind of interesting heading into week 1. I'm certainly intrigued at how everything is going to play out that I'm even more ready than ever before, and that's saying something. Even though it's an unfortunate happening to our football team and it's VERY unsettling, it's also very exciting as well to anticipate how our teams going to respond. Can't wait.

stb_steeler
09-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Gonna be a nail bitter for sure, ooh crap i aint got none now!. Better quit bittin them till opener.:sweating:

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 09:33 PM
If you guys think the Steeler players are sitting there thinking "I wonder if we will be ok without Ben" then you are nuts. They know full well that they can beat any team in the league with or without Ben. You know like they almost did with Ben,Troy and Aaron out and Dixon having one day to prepare? THE STEELERS ARE GOOD. REALL GOOD. You will all see. 4-0 or 3-1. Book it.

ricardisimo
09-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Optimism and brevity. That's the way to do it. Kudos.

DanRooney
09-02-2010, 05:33 AM
If you guys expect our secondary to get a lot of picks, its not going to happen in the Lebeau scheme. We play too much zone. But I agree they were bad as they have been for about TEN years. Our secondary is always bad in my opinion. So EVERY Steeler Qb can be criticized except Ben. I get it. Lastly, you posted that I dont know football and thats your opinion. Dont know how you can say that and then state "I hope Goodell lessens the suspension to 2 to 3 games" when EVERYONE knows it will be 4 game minimum. The only reduction will be from 6 to 4 or 5 games and thats it. Ben is our whole offense? WOW LOL

Ben is a top tier quarterback and has been criticized since he got here. I'm not going to go much further than that.

Who knows what Goodell is thinking. His punishments are not concrete and he might realize he overreacted. Last I heard a player in our division committed a federal offense and didn't get any games for it.

Downbylaw
09-02-2010, 06:16 AM
Ben is a top tier quarterback and has been criticized since he got here. I'm not going to go much further than that.

Who knows what Goodell is thinking. His punishments are not concrete and he might realize he overreacted. Last I heard a player in our division committed a federal offense and didn't get any games for it.

I have never said that he wasnt a top tier qb. Rogers didnt make the league look bad, thats the difference. Women groups were ringing the Rooneys nonstop, so what do you think they were doing to Goodell? You guys are a glutant for punishment, I swear. You are just setting yourselves up to get mad at Goodell all over again. SIGH

steelerohio
09-02-2010, 07:21 AM
I think we will be fine without Ben... won't win all four but just enough to be able to salvage the season somewhat when Ben gets back in time to destroy the Cleveland Browns....

TackleMeBen
09-02-2010, 07:31 AM
I have never said that he wasnt a top tier qb. Rogers didnt make the league look bad, thats the difference. Women groups were ringing the Rooneys nonstop, so what do you think they were doing to Goodell? You guys are a glutant for punishment, I swear. You are just setting yourselves up to get mad at Goodell all over again. SIGH
do we know that for a fact? bc i dont remember hearing anything about all these women's groups protesting?:coffee:

SteelCityMom
09-02-2010, 10:07 AM
do we know that for a fact? bc i dont remember hearing anything about all these women's groups protesting?:coffee:

It was me, I'd just call the Rooneys every half hour in a different female voice. I like to stir the pot like that. :chuckle:

Downbylaw
09-02-2010, 10:27 AM

All I know is that KDKA was reporting that the phones were ringing off the hook in that regard. During this time the Steelers were "trying" to trade him.

chacha
09-02-2010, 11:02 AM
All I know is that KDKA was reporting that the phones were ringing off the hook in that regard. During this time the Steelers were "trying" to trade him.

I dont recall that at all, exactly which womens group protested? The phones were ringing off the hook, with a lot of folks complaining the Steelers better not lose Ben, that I do recall

TackleMeBen
09-02-2010, 11:08 AM
It was me, I'd just call the Rooneys every half hour in a different female voice. I like to stir the pot like that. :chuckle:
SC you little pot stirrer..lol :stirthepot:
I dont recall the steelers ever coming out saying they were trying to trade ben..has someone been hanging out with santonio too much?:chuckle:
I dont recall that at all, exactly which womens group protested? The phones were ringing off the hook, with a lot of folks complaining the Steelers better not lose Ben, that I do recall
:thumbsup:

Downbylaw
09-02-2010, 11:53 AM
http://www.examiner.com/sports-in-pittsburgh/steelers-draft-digest-source-says-team-wants-top-ten-pick-for-roethlisberger