PDA

View Full Version : Posh McDaniels calls Harrison shot on Orton a cheap one

SacknificentStew56
08-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton almost had his night shortened by a big hit from linebacker James Harrison.

After Harrison picked up a loose ball and rumbled toward the end zone in the second quarter, Orton tried to tackle him low but Harrison put his helmet down and hit Orton on the back of the head and his left shoulder.

"I don't know if I went after him or he went after me," Orton said. "You have to try to save a touchdown and took a pretty decent shot, yeah. Just got the wind knocked out of me. Felt pretty good afterward."

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels stopped just short of calling Harrison's hit a cheap shot.

"It kind of looked like Harrison knew he was going to go low and then he took the liberty to go ahead and go after the quarterback," McDaniels said. "Whether or not it was a cheap thing, I'm not sure. I'll have to see it on film, but it didn't look right."

Harrison said it was just a smart football move.

"I was being aggressive on the play," Harrison said. "I play aggressively. I was going to the ground and wanted to get as many yards as I could."

tony hipchest
08-30-2010, 11:35 AM
no matter how you cut it, a qb trying to hit or tackle harrison is a dumb move.

he's not the nicest fellow.

TackleMeBen
08-30-2010, 11:39 AM
i have to agree with tony.

first if you are a wimpy qb, like orton why would you even try to go after harrison.

SteeleReign
08-30-2010, 11:55 AM
McDaniels is from the School of Whiny Belichick Clones. If anything, Orton tried a cheap-shot tackle on Harrison & got what he deserved.

pancake
08-30-2010, 11:56 AM
no matter how you cut it, a qb trying to hit or tackle harrison is a dumb move.

he's not the nicest fellow.

I think Harrison saw a great opportunity to hit Orton and took it. All the great LB's had that mean streak in them, thats why we love them!

Steelers>NFL
08-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Orton was not a QB at the particular moment. He was a defender!
Harrison would have laid his shoulder low on anyone, any player at that moment.
First to gain more yards, to put out punishment, and to protect his knees (hence reason to go low).

StainlessStill
08-30-2010, 12:01 PM
But nothing is being said that Orton flung himself down on the ground to potentially take out Harrison's knees? Silverback does what he does: DELIVERS THE BLOW. Orton was a compete dumbf_ck for even going and trying to make the tackle. Everyone knows and you're taught at an early age that when such a turnover occurs, anyones game, including the QB (who tried to make the tackle.) In fact, I would have been dissapointed if Harrison wouldn't of taken that approach.

SteelCityMom
08-30-2010, 12:02 PM
I don't think Silverback's intention was to injure...make him think twice about it next time, sure...but not to injure. At least it didn't look that way to me. I'd have to see a replay of it again myself.

TackleMeBen
08-30-2010, 12:04 PM
But nothing is being said that Orton down on the ground to potentially take out Harrison's knees?
i noticed that too. so if there was any kind of cheap shot it was orton going after harrison's knees.

SacknificentStew56
08-30-2010, 12:28 PM
I bet the next time a defensive player is running toward him, he'll see an image of Silverback stormin' towards him and fall flat on his face and covering his eyes.

TackleMeBen
08-30-2010, 12:38 PM
I bet the next time a defensive player is running toward him, he'll see an image of Silverback stormin' towards him and fall flat on his face and covering his eyes.
i am seeing a photoshop pic coming soon...lol :chuckle:

SteelCityMom
08-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Every NFL quarterback has a metaphorical target on his back, and front. And that's just one more reason why they should think twice about popping off at the king-sized defenders who take aim at them, a lesson Denver's Kyle Orton may have learned the hard way last night.

Orton gave Broncos fans a scare when Orton made a game attempt to tackle Pittsburgh's James Harrison as he returned a fumble. Harrison's vicious helmet-to-helmet collision sent the QB to the sideline for one snap, and the Steelers linebacker explained afterward he meant to inflict as much pain as possible.

"He was popping off down there the first time they were about to score," Harrison told the Denver Post, a reference to Denver's game-opening TD drive. "So you run your mouth, expect to get something. Everything's between the lines, so he got what he had coming."

Added Harrison about the collision: "He was running his mouth and getting in the way of the train. And the train wasn't coming off the track."

Orton's version was that he didn't talk trash to Harrison until after the ill-concieved tackle, but he did concede that, "I don't know if I hit him or he hit me."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/08/kyle-orton-james-harrison-broncos-steelers/1

Apparently...Orton had it coming to him lol. What a maroon.

StainlessStill
08-30-2010, 12:44 PM
I <3 James Harrison. PURE MAN-CRUSH!:helmet::helmet::helmet::applaudit:

steeltheone
08-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Its called FOOTBALL, A CONTACT SPORT.....

SacknificentStew56
08-30-2010, 12:47 PM
It's highly possible

i am seeing a photoshop pic coming soon...lol :chuckle:

SacknificentStew56
08-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Professor Silverback held a Collision 101 course in Denver on Sunday night at Invesco Field and Kyle Orton failed his "POP" quiz with dumb quotes like this "I don't know if I hit him or he hit me."

steelcity1974
08-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Orton was definitely running his mouth, you could see that on TV. Next time he thinks about going low on 260 pounds of raw steel, he better hope his mouth is shut!

SteelersinCA
08-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Why would Orton try to make that tackle in a preseason game??

TackleMeBen
08-30-2010, 02:26 PM
it must be the air up there in denver... its killing his brain cells:chuckle:

SteelersinCA
08-30-2010, 02:37 PM
it must be the air up there in denver... its killing his brain cells:chuckle:

Something, that was the dumbest move I've seen. What did you think was gonna happen? Even if he didn't go low he would have got run the hell over.

TackleMeBen
08-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Something, that was the dumbest move I've seen. What did you think was gonna happen? Even if he didn't go low he would have got run the hell over.
it was probably a good thing he went low, he could have been taking out on the cart if he hadnt.

stb_steeler
08-30-2010, 03:32 PM

Yeah especially if he's fighting for a starting job!!! Dumb no matter how ya look at it.

TackleMeBen
08-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah especially if he's fighting for a starting job!!! Dumb no matter how ya look at it.
like we said. no one said orton was a smart person..lol:chuckle:

Fire Haley
08-30-2010, 03:38 PM
"He was running his mouth and getting in the way of the train," Harrison said. "And the train wasn't coming off the track."

"He was popping off down there the first time they were about to score," Harrison said, referring to the Broncos' game-opening touchdown drive. "So you run your mouth, expect to get something. Everything's between the lines, so he got what he had coming."

ha ha!

SteelMember
08-30-2010, 03:46 PM
From a defensive standpoint, the QB is ALWAYS the enemy.

An extra chance to hit him after a turnover is just icing on the cake.

TackleMeBen
08-30-2010, 04:54 PM
"He was running his mouth and getting in the way of the train," Harrison said. "And the train wasn't coming off the track."

"He was popping off down there the first time they were about to score," Harrison said, referring to the Broncos' game-opening touchdown drive. "So you run your mouth, expect to get something. Everything's between the lines, so he got what he had coming."

ha ha!
you have to love harrison. he does give you some good quotes when he actually speaks..lol

From a defensive standpoint, the QB is ALWAYS the enemy.

An extra chance to hit him after a turnover is just icing on the cake.
you got that right :thumbsup:

jjpro11
08-30-2010, 05:04 PM
i couldn't believe the garbage that was being said this morning about that hit. ****ing Orton went low at Harrison. people actually wanted that play to be called a penalty on Harrison. i am sure Goodell is already working on a rule to make hitting the QB on an INT return a penalty. what a joke.

mikegrimey
08-30-2010, 08:27 PM

Who is Kyle Orton fighting for a starting job with?

Surely you don't think they're considering starting Brady Quinn or Tim Tebow. Orton has no competition right now for the Bronco's starting job, only an injury and suprising play from the other two plebian QBs will take it away from him.

Now onto this thread.

I'm a little confused. The OP's title suggests that McDaniel's called the hit a cheap shot. Yet the article posted says he didn't.

My guess is McDaniels probably just got worried that his starting QB came close to getting a serious injuyry in a meaningless game. But you have to remember, even though its preseason, when those guys are on the field they're not thinking about all that. Orton did the right thing and tried to make the tackle low on Harrison (whom he had no chance of bear hugging or wrapping up) and Harrison did the right thing by trying to make him pay for it. Happens all the time in football.

mikegrimey
08-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Whether or not it was a cheap thing, I'm not sure.

I don't know how this statment turns into "McDaniels calls Harrison a cheap shot". :doh:

stb_steeler
08-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Who is Kyle Orton fighting for a starting job with?

Surely you don't think they're considering starting Brady Quinn or Tim Tebow. Orton has no competition right now for the Bronco's starting job, only an injury and suprising play from the other two plebian QBs will take it away from him.

Now onto this thread.

I'm a little confused. The OP's title suggests that McDaniel's called the hit a cheap shot. Yet the article posted says he didn't.

My guess is McDaniels probably just got worried that his starting QB came close to getting a serious injuyry in a meaningless game. But you have to remember, even though its preseason, when those guys are on the field they're not thinking about all that. Orton did the right thing and tried to make the tackle low on Harrison (whom he had no chance of bear hugging or wrapping up) and Harrison did the right thing by trying to make him pay for it. Happens all the time in football.

Who is Kyle Orton fighting for a starting job with? Well the way they talking in Denver, Tebow is GOD!

MasterOfPuppets
08-31-2010, 12:00 AM
so orton sets his sights on harrison's knees as the place to hit him, and they're gonna whine because harrison countered it ? give me an effin break. :coffee:

mikegrimey
08-31-2010, 12:15 AM
Who is Kyle Orton fighting for a starting job with? Well the way they talking in Denver, Tebow is GOD!

Well reactionary fans aside, the Broncos and their coaching staff aren't touting him as a God or as the starter for this year. Plus Tebow hasn't done anything in the preseason to indicate that he's ready to take the reigns of an NFL teams. From everything I''ve seen Orton's starting job is pretty well etched in stone.

Shea
08-31-2010, 12:22 AM
I personally respect a QB that goes and tries to take down his own mistake, preseason or not.

Thankfully for us, Ben knows how to tackle.

Big
08-31-2010, 12:52 AM
McDaniels is a ***** of a man........I hope he goes 0-16 and then gets fired

Downbylaw
08-31-2010, 04:16 AM
Save the Patriot crap Josh.

chacha
08-31-2010, 11:23 AM
McDaniels is a weasel, who cares what he has to say

TackleMeBen
08-31-2010, 11:40 AM
I personally respect a QB that goes and tries to take down his own mistake, preseason or not.

Thankfully for us, Ben knows how to tackle.
yeah that is true.. now if ben would know how to keep it in his pants.:chuckle:

McDaniels is a weasel, who cares what he has to say
well he was taught by belicheck:wink02:

chacha
08-31-2010, 12:10 PM
well he was taught by belicheck:wink02:

That's true, we cant expect much from McDaniels being under Bellicheat that long

TackleMeBen
08-31-2010, 12:17 PM
That's true, we cant expect much from McDaniels being under Bellicheat that long
exactly, i mean hell manigi turned on belly..... and he was an asst under belly