PDA

View Full Version : Dwyer the Real Deal?

Hayeksheroes
08-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Dwyer was the one bright spot against Denver. Yes, he was mauling over 3rd string scrubs, but he did it with such effectiveness and determination, that this guy needs a good look before being sent the practice squad.

ricksteelers55
08-30-2010, 10:41 PM
another game like the one he had last night and he wont make it to the PS.If I'm the Rams I think id rather give a chance to Dwyer instead of Kenneth Darby who was a 7th round pick....

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-30-2010, 11:14 PM
I agree rick. I have no confidence that Dwyer will stay on the practice squad. I see us carrying 4 backs this year. Mendenhall, Moore, Redman and the last spot comes down to Dwyer and Frank Summers. It seemed like last night Redman played as much fullback as Summers did. What I take from that is we won't carry a true fullback again this season (that is if you consider Summers a true fullback). Looks like another year of fullback by committe to me with Redman, David Johnson/Sean McHough, Legursky and Heath all splitting time.

BlockMonsta
08-31-2010, 01:02 AM
I find it funny how so many of you guys say things like "scrub" third stringers...Talking trash about players when their the ones getting a shot at playing in the NFL while you sit back and talk behind a screen.

tony hipchest
08-31-2010, 01:35 AM
I find it funny how so many of you guys say things like "scrub" third stringers...Talking trash about players when their the ones getting a shot at playing in the NFL while you sit back and talk behind a screen.why do you find that funny?

the AVERAGE nfl player last 3 years in the league.

of course the scrubs that are spoken of, make up the bottom of the spectrum.

al bundy once had a shot to make it in the nfl. although he never made it, he did score 4 td's in a single game for Polk High.

:cheer:

Aussie_steeler
08-31-2010, 04:17 AM
why do you find that funny?

the AVERAGE nfl player last 3 years in the league.

of course the scrubs that are spoken of, make up the bottom of the spectrum.

al bundy once had a shot to make it in the nfl. although he never made it, he did score 4 td's in a single game for Polk High.

:cheer:

And what 4 good touchdowns they were.

http://twistedsifter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/al-bundy-4tds.jpg

Personally I liked TD #1 ( pamela anderson) and TD #4 ( bobbie brown - she's my cherry pie)

Sorry Tone - couldnt help myself

ricksteelers55
08-31-2010, 04:30 AM
what i dont get about frank summers is that he never get the ball.Redman can block and can run,Dwyer can run,they gave the ball to Wright heck even Justin Vincent got the ball why not Summers ? He's supposed to be a RB first and we dont even see him carry the football how are we going to judge him in the end ? I also predict we keep 4 RB with Mendy,Moore,Redman and Dwyer

pete74
08-31-2010, 05:20 AM
i want to see Dwyer play well again before i really comment. he did look god and alot of people say its because he played against 3rd stringers but they fail to mention that he also had some of the worst 3rd stringers in the NFL blocking for him.

StainlessStill
08-31-2010, 09:53 AM
I was pretty physicked about the signing of Dwyer in the draft and pretty much thought he would of made an immediate impact. Of course, with him having a bad camp terminology wise and then turning around being injury prone pretty much cemented his chances of making the team.

His nice performance came too late and I expect us to make the cut and then probably land him on our practice squad, which is exactly what we did with Redman and he has had two straight good pre-seasons before this. Our backs would be Mendy, Moore, and Redman manning the fort since we poss. have to make room for more WR's than we might of wanted to begin with.

hammy36
08-31-2010, 10:41 AM
For anyone that followed Dwyer at all at Ga Tech, you probably know his upside and overall potential. I could be wrong but I agree with the thinking that if Dwyer gets pushed to the practice squad, he will not be a Steeler for long. If he doens't test positive for whatever drug showed up because of his ADHD medicine, he's probably drafted somewhere in the first three rounds (I'd say 1st or 2nd but may be a tad biased). Call it bad timing or whatever but as soon as he becomes comfortable with NFL terminology, playing out of the I, etc. etc. this kid could be special.

LVSteelersfan
08-31-2010, 12:01 PM
I don't have time to watch college and pro ball (there is no real college team in Las Vegas any way because UNLV sucks) so I have not watched Dwyer play. It is just disconcerting to me that he got overweight and out of shape in so little time. That does not show dedication to the game in my opinion. Typically that is an ongoing problem with players who can't stay away from the hamburgers and Twinkies. Since Frank the Tank hasn't shown much I think it is a tossup between him and Dwyer. (Tank is a favorite of mine because he played at UNLV) I don't think Justin Vincent is good enough to be in the mix. Mendenhall, Moore and Redman all seem to be locks at this time. It depends on if they keep 4 RBs and one FB or do FB by committee with no true FB. I doubt they keep 5 RBs because there is a tremendous competition at LB and WR this year. We shall know very soon. I always hate wondering who will make the team in the last couple weeks of preseason.

For anyone that followed Dwyer at all at Ga Tech, you probably know his upside and overall potential. I could be wrong but I agree with the thinking that if Dwyer gets pushed to the practice squad, he will not be a Steeler for long. If he doens't test positive for whatever drug showed up because of his ADHD medicine, he's probably drafted somewhere in the first three rounds (I'd say 1st or 2nd but may be a tad biased). Call it bad timing or whatever but as soon as he becomes comfortable with NFL terminology, playing out of the I, etc. etc. this kid could be special.

steeltheone
08-31-2010, 02:04 PM
Watch and see, if we have any significant injurys at Runningback, Willie Parker will be back in uniform.

feuerstarta
08-31-2010, 03:05 PM
I dont know if he is a real deal, he can run with the ball, but not pick up blocking or blitzes. Yes I missed assignments as well. But I will give some leeway since he has not practice much and needs to practice more.

Now with all this said, looking at the first batch of roster cuts I think dywer will be a hot commodity. Bucs dumped their running backs and are starting a undrafted rookie as their starter. I can no envision at least 3 teams picking him up, Bucs, Broncos, and Oak.

scsteeler
09-01-2010, 01:39 PM
i want to see Dwyer play well again before i really comment. he did look god and alot of people say its because he played against 3rd stringers but they fail to mention that he also had some of the worst 3rd stringers in the NFL blocking for him.

I think Dwyer will be a good RB. If you check my earlier post most disagreed with me when I said that but as he gets in shape more you see what this kid is capable of.