PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich is the odd man out

pittguy578
08-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Byron may be the starter at the beginning of the year, but he will be cut once Ben comes back. They are not going to keep 4 quarterbacks on the roster, and they are not going to cut Charlie Batch. The reason is the Rooney's and the Steelers love Batch, and Batch is happy being a backup and he is a capable backup. Leftwich will always want to be a starter, and will not accept backup status like Batch has-therefore, it would be in the interests of both the Steelers and Leftwich for him to be cut after Ben comes back. Byron will have 4 game checks and maybe his signing bonus. The Steelers will have a capable backup and someone that is happy being the backup-it will be a win win situation.
Chuck Batch is not going to be cut. Mark my words.

**Steelers can "carry" 4 QB's (Ben doesn't count when he is suspended)

tony hipchest
08-30-2010, 07:47 PM
:toofunny:

who let batch's agent on the board?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-30-2010, 07:48 PM

who let batch's agent on the board?

:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

pancake
08-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Lefty came back knowing he was going to be the back up. He knows thats the rest of his career.

LVSteelersfan
08-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Batch should have been sent packing two years ago. He just doesn't look good to me throwing passes into the flat. He is a pick six waiting to happen and it scares me every time he gets into the game. He may be a great guy but he has never been a great qb and he is no longer a capable backup QB. Despite the thread I started that said make Batch the starter.

pittguy578
08-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Lefty came back knowing he was going to be the back up. He knows thats the rest of his career.

No he thinks he is a starter. Bottom line is Batch can still step in with any team-whether it is first stringers, second, or third, and look like he has been playing the entire time.
In terms of football knowledge, he is a mental giant, especially in terms of the Steeler's system. The Steelers have years and millions of dollars invested in Batch. Batch will never rock the boat-he is a good soldier and can go out and perform at a high level when needed. He may be getting older, but he hasn't taken a lot of hits so in terms of "football" age, he is relatively young. I am willing to be $500 that Batch will be on this roster at season's end.

tony hipchest
08-30-2010, 09:05 PM
He may be getting older, but he hasn't taken a lot of hits so in terms of "football" age, he is relatively young.

thats because he breaks a leg every time he has to sneeze.

you actually have to be on the football field for more than a quarter to take alot of hits.

i hear "The Clapper" has taken out a $1,000,000 policy on his bones.

pittguy578
08-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Charlie has never needed to take reps to prove he can come in and play when needed.

tony hipchest
08-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Charlie has never needed to take reps to prove he can come in and play when needed.

actually this is a great point.

most qb's would need weeks preparing to come in and hand off the ball. :chuckle:

Shea
08-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Chuck?

scsteeler
09-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Batch should have been sent packing two years ago. He just doesn't look good to me throwing passes into the flat. He is a pick six waiting to happen and it scares me every time he gets into the game. He may be a great guy but he has never been a great qb and he is no longer a capable backup QB. Despite the thread I started that said make Batch the starter.

I totally disagree that Batch is not a capable Starter. Batch's problem is and has been he can't Stay healthy which is why Dixon and not Batch started against the ravens last year.

steelcity1974
09-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Between those three, does it really matter who stays and who goes? They should send all three to Arizona and get Lienart to backup Ben for the next 8 years.

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Between those three, does it really matter who stays and who goes? They should send all three to Arizona and get Lienart to backup Ben for the next 8 years.

You would take Leinart over Dixon and Leftwich? NOT ME.
Based on what?

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Ben and Leinart partying together? Rooneys would NEVER go near Matt Leinart

GrizzlyDean
09-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Why not trade Dixon right now his value may never be higher. Maybe we could get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. He will never be the steelers QB unless Ben cannot keep it in his pants. Ben is not much older then Dixon were not going to pay Dixon to stay here when he is going to want to start somewhere.

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Steelers arent trading Dixon. This is the NFL and qbs go down all the time. Depth at Qb is a plus. WHO is going to give a 3rd or 4th for DIXON?? Tone went for a 4th and HES GOOD

steelerchad
09-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Steelers arent trading Dixon. This is the NFL and qbs go down all the time. Depth at Qb is a plus. WHO is going to give a 3rd or 4th for DIXON?? Tone went for a 4th and HES GOOD

Tone went for a 5th and he's suspended for the 1st 4 games of this year. And 1 more strike and he'll get a lengthy suspension.
He was also in his last year of his deal with the Steelers, so they got rid of him in a hurry when he got in trouble again and took what they could get for him. If they had kept him, they had exactly 12 games left with him, because he was gone at year's end anyway.

But, I agree with you. He was good and I'll miss watching him play. And I'll be forever greatful for that drive in the SuperBowl and the catch at the end.

steelcity1974
09-01-2010, 02:02 PM
You would take Leinart over Dixon and Leftwich? NOT ME.
Based on what?

In a heartbeat. He's younger, quicker, and delivers a more accurate ball than Leftwich. He has more playing experience and is a way better pocket QB than Dixon. As a 4 game starter and long term backup, yeah it's a no brainer to take Leinart over those two.

StainlessStill
09-01-2010, 02:18 PM
In a heartbeat. He's younger, quicker, and delivers a more accurate ball than Leftwich. He has more playing experience and is a way better pocket QB than Dixon. As a 4 game starter and long term backup, yeah it's a no brainer to take Leinart over those two.

Comparing any of these quarterbacks needs to be taken into hindsight. Dixon, obviously is the man with the most question marks as his development in Pittsburgh has been a slow one due to playing behind a franchise QB (which should only help him later in career.) Dixon is RAW and shows the inconsistencies in his game from what we've seen in brief of his time as a starter. Even though he shows tremendous upside, he is just NOT ready to become a starter in this league just yet.

Leinart has seen little to no success over the coarse of his career and is pretty much a bust to date. Other than Carson Palmer, who leveled off over the years, USC QB's just can't translate well into the NFL. To be fair to Leinart, how can having one have confidence of being a quarterback if uncertainly looms over your shoulder every training camp to ever season? Kid didn't really have the chance to do much as far as being comfortable in the starting role without having to look over his shoulder almost every other game. This system hasn't allowed Leinart to develop.

Leftwhich is a journeyman who has won in this league and has a strong enough arm to give offense's something to work with. He's been in multiple systems and understands the philosophy of the game from being around the block. That's what a veteran quarterback gives a team. (Which is why a young team like Tampa took a chance) It not only gives the players confidence, but it also gives the coaches confidence in their weekly game plans to try things with a vet like Leftwhich that they wouldn't try with someone like a green Dixon in there.

Out of the 3, esp in our situation, I take Leftwhich because all of the opinions mentioned above, and him playing in our system before and winning those 2 games in '08 coming off the bench only makes me that more comfortable in giving Lefty his shot for us. Plus, he has a good head on his shoulders and understands his place, unlike a young and stubborn Leinart who can't keep his mouth shut.

Now, that's not saying that Leinart can't help a team out in the long run. He's young and he certainly has potential to be groomed into a future starter if things fall in the right place for him and he would be a GREAT depth move for ANY team around this league who has issues with stability at the QB position. Leinart is coach-able givin the right atmosphere.

steelcity1974
09-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Out of the 3, esp in our situation, I take Leftwhich because all of the opinions mentioned above, and him playing in our system before and winning those 2 games in '08 coming off the bench only makes me that more comfortable in giving Lefty his shot for us. Plus, he has a good head on his shoulders and understands his place, unlike a young and stubborn Leinart who can't keep his mouth shut.

The Leinart points are fair. But I don't put a lot of stock in the 08 season for the case for Lefty. In a complete game, not coming off the bench, the holes in our O line will catch up with him. Unless Arians calls 4 great games to start the season, I think we will see Leftwich picking himself off the ground more than Ben, or chasing after a lot of DBs that pick him off. Hope I'm wrong, but I think it's going to be ugly with him as our starter and playing full games. I won't be surprised if he takes an injury at some point and we see Dixon in games 3 and 4.

StainlessStill
09-01-2010, 02:37 PM
The Leinart points are fair. But I don't put a lot of stock in the 08 season for the case for Lefty. In a complete game, not coming off the bench, the holes in our O line will catch up with him. Unless Arians calls 4 great games to start the season, I think we will see Leftwich picking himself off the ground more than Ben, or chasing after a lot of DBs that pick him off. Hope I'm wrong, but I think it's going to be ugly with him as our starter and playing full games. I won't be surprised if he takes an injury at some point and we see Dixon in games 3 and 4.

We will see my man, we will see. The concerns are CERTAINLY there, I worry about all of this as well. That's why Mendenhall and the offense needs to carry the load and offer us the privilege to be into 3rd and 3's rather than 3rd and 19's (which Leftwhich had to work with occasionally during the first 2 games.) 2nd down will be crucial to us in the first half of the season on the ground.

SteelCityMom
09-01-2010, 02:40 PM

Yeah, I don't know...Leinart is pretty close to being ousted by Derek freaking Anderson (who had a whopping 42.1% in 8 games last year and 66.5% the year before). I wouldn't get too sold on Leinart yet. He's got great receivers and a decent line and has never been able to prove himself. Hell, in the 8 games he played last year, he had 0 TDs and 3 INTs. No way do I ever want to see Leinart in a Steelers uni, even as a backup. He's garbage.

Put it this way...in the 4 years he's been playing (29 games) he has 14 TDs and 20 INTs and a rating of 70.8...with the Cardinals, who have been decent within that time. And it bears mentioning again...he's getting beat by Derek Anderson, who I wouldn't want as a backup on the Steelers either.

Leftwich, though he got benched last year after 3 games, even had better stats than Leinart did in 8 games with the Cards...with a much better offense to work with.

I'll definitely stick with Lefty and Dixon over Leinart.

steelcity1974
09-01-2010, 02:43 PM
We will see my man, we will see. The concerns are CERTAINLY there, I worry about all of this as well. That's why Mendenhall and the offense needs to carry the load and offer us the privilege to be into 3rd and 3's rather than 3rd and 19's (which Leftwhich had to work with occasionally during the first 2 games.) 2nd down will be crucial to us in the first half of the season on the ground.

Amen...just hope BA puts the ball in Mendenhall's hands and we get the OL moving down hill. If we can get our running game in snych, THEN our QB whoever it is can be effective. Can't wait til the season starts so we can end all this hypothetical talk and get to the Monday Morning QBing. :drink:

StainlessStill
09-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Amen...just hope BA puts the ball in Mendenhall's hands and we get the OL moving down hill. If we can get our running game in snych, THEN our QB whoever it is can be effective. Can't wait til the season starts so we can end all this hypothetical talk and get to the Monday Morning QBing. :drink:

Absolutely. Teams are probably going to notice what we got and put us through the ultimate test and blitz the living shit out of us, put 9 guys in the box and plug up our run gaps and we should come to learn to expect this. Noone is talking about it, but we need to keep an eye on some X-factors like Antwaan Randle El. I'd like to see some gadget plays to catch some defense's sleeping early. Do anything we can to make them respect us and back off a little bit. Could either be ugly or the start of something nice.

pittguy578
09-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Ben and Leinart partying together? Rooneys would NEVER go near Matt Leinart

He probably parties with girls that are over 21...

pittguy578
09-26-2010, 06:10 PM
I was right. Leftwich is going to be cut.,

lionslicer
09-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Oh I wonder how everyones opinions in this thread has changed after today.

zulater
09-26-2010, 06:22 PM

No he wont. Dixon will be put on the IR or cut. The Steelers can compete with just about anyone with Leftwich or Batch behind center. Dixon isn't an NFL quarterback, the game istoo fast for him. I think the reason the Steelers brought Leftwich in in the first place is because this is what they saw of Dixon in his two years with the team. They got fooled by his playing well against scrubs in a couple preseason games. but once the games started for real Dixon looked like a deer in the median strip on the interstate. He's not NFL caliber!

SteelCityMom
09-26-2010, 06:24 PM

That's not for sure...Dixon is out for at least 6 weeks, nobody is getting cut yet. Wouldn't surprise me if they kept all 4 QBs on the roster...2 of them have been injury prone so far, and then there's Batch. :noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
09-26-2010, 06:34 PM
most likely, dixon will be put on IR for the rest of the year.

SH-Rock
09-26-2010, 06:44 PM
They'll prob keep batch for leadership and advice