PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Atmosphere

SteelKnight
08-31-2010, 06:42 PM
Has anyone been around the Steelers atmosphere? Is it similar to the Jet's Hard Knocks or are we more classy?

After watching and seeing past seasons with the Cowboys and Cheifs, I doubt I would ever want to put up with the degrading way they treat players.

They treat them like begging kids.

IDK. I guess some of them get respect...like Sanchez and Holmes.

I guess they are used to being talked down to since in college they WERE kids.

I don't know how someone learns to behave like a pro when you treat them like dirt.

I hope the Steelers organization is a lot better. Tomlin seems to talk well of guys and seems more respectful so maybe it is.

Steelerfreak58
08-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Has anyone been around the Steelers atmosphere? Is it similar to the Jet's Hard Knocks or are we more classy?

After watching and seeing past seasons with the Cowboys and Cheifs, I doubt I would ever want to put up with the degrading way they treat players.

I don't know how someone learns to behave like a pro when you treat them like dirt.

I hope the Steelers organization is a lot better. Tomlin seems to talk well of guys and seems more respectful so maybe it is.

You are one of those type of people that thinks everyone should get a trophy for "participation" huh?

tony hipchest
08-31-2010, 08:52 PM
last week bill cowher was talking about how the steelers were approached to host "hard knocks" in '06. he said they refused, and would never invite that circus into town.

he said certain things need to remain "behind the scenes" in order to portray the NFL in the best light as possible.

i think tomlin and cowher are very similar in that regard (as well as the rooneys). while they wont hesitate to rip someone a new asshole, they prefer to do it behind closed doors.

ETL
08-31-2010, 08:52 PM

I think teams reflect the personality of their leaders and I would like to think that with the Rooneys and Tomlin - the Steelers are classier.

One proof of this is how the players talk about their experiences as a Steeler. From Byron Leftwich, Leon Searcy, Sean Morey and others - they have described being a Steeler as football heaven. Why? It seems that they truly believed that the ownership / leadership cared about them and that the other players (while competing for roster spots) cared about each other. Bettis specifically mentions how no one taught him anything on the Rams but found the Steelers to be different.

Yes, I believe that we are classier. Plus - one can easily see how Rex Ryan can trash a place just by being there. His act will get old really quick once they start losing.

PhantomJB93
08-31-2010, 09:06 PM
Im sure the Steelers are much classier than the teams on Hard Knocks and would never do Hard Knocks.

That said, it saddens me they will never do Hard Knocks because I would love to watch a Steelers version of that show.

SteelKnight
08-31-2010, 10:06 PM
You are one of those type of people that thinks everyone should get a trophy for "participation" huh?

I just feel like it is OK to treat college kids like crap...after all, they are still kids and not pros. I even feel like it is OK to treat rookies like that.

It gets to a point where the way they are treating them is so degrading that it gets at your dignity.

They seem to treat their important players better...like Holmes, Sanchez, etc. so I guess you can play your way to respect.

Those assistant coaches seem to be on a power trip.

I think there is a way you can treat people with more respect. They are human beings...not thoroughbred horses.

SteelKnight
08-31-2010, 10:12 PM
last week bill cowher was talking about how the steelers were approached to host "hard knocks" in '06. he said they refused, and would never invite that circus into town.

he said certain things need to remain "behind the scenes" in order to portray the NFL in the best light as possible.

i think tomlin and cowher are very similar in that regard (as well as the rooneys). while they wont hesitate to rip someone a new asshole, they prefer to do it behind closed doors.

I don't sense a sense of family with the Jets (or Cowbows). With the Steelers, you like to think it is there. I know for a fact the Steelers treat their veteran starters with respect. i just don't know how they treat their rookies and younger veterans.

I guess it's tough to have a job where a boss can get mad at you when things don't go perfectly. I'd rather be a coach than a player. lol

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-31-2010, 10:14 PM
The way I see it is HBO is trying to make "good" t.v. More people are going to tune into a guy getting his ass chewed out than a guy getting a pat on the back. I don't think you are getting nearly the whole experience at the Jet's training camp. Only what the HBO producers want you to see. Think about it, they take about a weeks worth of footage and condense it down into an hour long program. You ahve to be missing alot.

SteelKnight
08-31-2010, 10:17 PM
I think teams reflect the personality of their leaders and I would like to think that with the Rooneys and Tomlin - the Steelers are classier.

One proof of this is how the players talk about their experiences as a Steeler. From Byron Leftwich, Leon Searcy, Sean Morey and others - they have described being a Steeler as football heaven. Why? It seems that they truly believed that the ownership / leadership cared about them and that the other players (while competing for roster spots) cared about each other. Bettis specifically mentions how no one taught him anything on the Rams but found the Steelers to be different.

Yes, I believe that we are classier. Plus - one can easily see how Rex Ryan can trash a place just by being there. His act will get old really quick once they start losing.

Yeah..good point. Tomlin studied under Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith. Lovie Smith was so kind to Rex Grossman even when he was stinking it up. One reason I never liked Parcels is he would throw his players under the bus.

SteelKnight
08-31-2010, 10:19 PM
The way I see it is HBO is trying to make "good" t.v. More people are going to tune into a guy getting his ass chewed out than a guy getting a pat on the back. I don't think you are getting nearly the whole experience at the Jet's training camp. Only what the HBO producers want you to see. Think about it, they take about a weeks worth of footage and condense it down into an hour long program. You ahve to be missing alot.

Good point. I guess the title "Hard Knocks" wouldn't fit if they showed too much nice stuff.

The other thing also is maybe they are being rude to the people trying to make their team. Maybe once you make the team, they consider you a true Jet and treat you with more respect.

mikegrimey
08-31-2010, 10:56 PM
In sports there is always a hazing or initiation faze. Anyone that's played competetively at at least a high school level can tell you that. I imagine it only gets worse the higher up you go.
Anyone that has been in the military will tell you the same thing. People treat you a lot different in basic training then after you graduate from it.

Just considering a rookie's first training camp as their basic training. The team is going to be hard on them so they can get the most out of them later. Now I imagine some places are nastier than others, which is probably a reflection of the style the coaching staff, but when you're in any type of "club" like the NFL there is going to be an initiation phase where people are going to be rough on you just because you're new.

SteelKnight
09-01-2010, 11:48 AM
In sports there is always a hazing or initiation faze. Anyone that's played competetively at at least a high school level can tell you that. I imagine it only gets worse the higher up you go.
Anyone that has been in the military will tell you the same thing. People treat you a lot different in basic training then after you graduate from it.

Just considering a rookie's first training camp as their basic training. The team is going to be hard on them so they can get the most out of them later. Now I imagine some places are nastier than others, which is probably a reflection of the style the coaching staff, but when you're in any type of "club" like the NFL there is going to be an initiation phase where people are going to be rough on you just because you're new.

Yeah I guess. When I think about it they are mostly showing the younger guys being talked down to. I just don't like the way the coaches talk to the team. Maybe they are hot shots that I don't recognize but it would pizz me off. I know they have the power to decide who stays and who goes but it seems they let the power get to their heads.

It is not players' treatment of other players that seems bad. That seems OK. So maybe if it were coming from players I would have understood.

In my field, there are some kiss up years and there is one treat like trash year but you get through it because you know it is not forever. It is only one year. The other thing that makes it easier is knowing the people ahead of you all did it and are further along than you so deserve that respect.

Those coaches just seem childish and emotionally labile. I guess they know their jobs are on the line. The more disrespectful they are, the less intelligent I think they are.

Anyway, you can tell Lebeau is not like that and Arians seems pretty nice too.

Interestingly enough, Rex Ryan seems like a pretty nice guy. It is his assistants that I don't like so much.

scsteeler
09-01-2010, 12:33 PM

Yes Rip that new asshole behind closed doors. I agree with that whole heartily.

MasterOfPuppets
09-01-2010, 12:56 PM

and everyone should get cookies and milk after practice. they should get a smiley face sticker on their helmet for every good practice ...:chuckle:

recently my sister in-law complained because now she has to sit outside the fence at my nephews football practice. he's a freshmen this year.... i told her it's because the coaches don't want the parents hearing them cussing their kids up one side and down the other. i learned most of my foul vocabulary from high school coaches ...:noidea:

Steelerfreak58
09-01-2010, 02:04 PM
I just feel like it is OK to treat college kids like crap...after all, they are still kids and not pros. I even feel like it is OK to treat rookies like that.

It gets to a point where the way they are treating them is so degrading that it gets at your dignity.

They seem to treat their important players better...like Holmes, Sanchez, etc. so I guess you can play your way to respect.

Those assistant coaches seem to be on a power trip.

I think there is a way you can treat people with more respect. They are human beings...not thoroughbred horses.

You never played football did you?

SteelKnight
09-01-2010, 03:27 PM
You never played football did you?

nah...lol Still men are men. I know they get paid big bucks but dignity is important.

But that was the point of this thread to see if you guys think all camps including the Steelers are like that.

If they are like that, I'm surprised that there aren't too many players bad-mouthing coaches when they retire.

Anyway, if that's the way it is, that's the way it is. I'm glad it's not me.

MasterOfPuppets
09-01-2010, 04:25 PM
nah...lol Still men are men. I know they get paid big bucks but dignity is important.

But that was the point of this thread to see if you guys think all camps including the Steelers are like that.

If they are like that, I'm surprised that there aren't too many players bad-mouthing coaches when they retire.

Anyway, if that's the way it is, that's the way it is. I'm glad it's not me.

so what do you think goes on in a military boot camp ?

t8Nf1MK7lts

stb_steeler
09-01-2010, 05:10 PM
more like this....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZPIU0wGVkQ

MasterOfPuppets
09-01-2010, 05:25 PM
more like this....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZPIU0wGVkQ

http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-sotw.gif

stb_steeler
09-01-2010, 05:32 PM
LOL

tony hipchest
09-01-2010, 06:15 PM
and everyone should get cookies and milk after practice. they should get a smiley face sticker on their helmet for every good practice ...:chuckle:

:c'mon... i dont think he is insinuating they should be treated like babies.

i mean theyre playing a sport, not taking a nap and successfully passing their spelling test in kindergarten.

they should atleast get the little sandwhich baggie filled with orange wedges. :sofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
09-01-2010, 06:22 PM
c'mon... i dont think he is insinuating they should be treated like babies.

i mean theyre playing a sport, not taking a nap and successfully passing their spelling test in kindergarten.

they should atleast get the little sandwhich baggie filled with orange wedges. :sofunny:

i'd rather have the cookies...http://bbs.mediumpimpin.com/images/smilies/cookiemonster.gif

SteelKnight
09-01-2010, 11:20 PM
OK...lol I watched today and today it was more of wat i expected from a team.

There were a lot of kind moments, playful moments and encouraging moments. People were all treated with respect.

One of two things happened.

1. Jets spoke to HBO and asked them to stop only showing the mean parts OR

2. Jets FO spoke to the coaches and told them to stop embarassing the Jets and carry themselves with some class for the show.

Either way, things were very different. I can imagine the Steelers being how they were on todays show.