PDA

View Full Version : article in the ppg about our free agents

schoondog
02-23-2006, 03:04 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/

then end of tommy is near, offering ike taylor a tender offer, and the unlikelyhood of signing outside free agents

TexaSteeler
02-23-2006, 08:41 AM
How is the cap not identified? How is the qualifying amounts to a offer a restricted FA not IDed yet either?

At least that answered the question of Duece.

Suitanim
02-23-2006, 08:58 AM
Kimo I'm a bit surprised at, but they've got to be restructuring him...the rest of this sounds exactly like what we've been talking about. As a refresher for some of the spacier FA bunch:

-Forget high dollar FA's coming in.
-Get used to Duce...he's not going anywhere
-Be prepared to lose (not all, but some and maybe most)
Townsend
Williams
Kimo
Kiesel
Hope
ARE

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2006, 09:00 AM
I think it's safe to say ARE is gone. Townsend is a guy I would like to see us hang on to for the sake of veteran leadership for younger guys such as McFadden, Colclough and even Ike. As with ARE, in my opinion...If Townsend is asking for too much, bye-bye. In my opinion, he's replacable at the end of the day. Chris Hope in particular and Keisel are two I would like to see the Steelers sign.

Atlanta Dan
02-23-2006, 11:31 AM
ARE is stated as wanting #1 receiver money. Since the Steelers paid last year for a #1 (Ward) and #2 (Wilson) receiver, he is clearly gone.

That having been said, I am glad his agent and/or the Steelers are being clear about what ARE is seeking, rather than some claim from ARE that he is willing to take a "reasonable" amount of $ to stay. Chris Hope is sending teh same message by claiming he wants "top 5" safety $. Steelers made their decisions when they paid up for Hampton, Wilson, and Ward as to who they wanted.

I think they knew ARE would leave and, by taking a calculated risk on not signing Hope after a lackluster 2004 performance by him, are not going to lay out what someother team will pay Hope.

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Well, IF Hope is gone, here's to hoping who ever takes his place is solid. I'm not sold on Carter personally.

Ward86MVP
02-23-2006, 11:41 AM
I think the Steelers priorities should be resigning Brett Keisel, with the looming departure of Kimo von Oelhoffen, and also signing Chris Hope, unless he asks for more than $3.5-$4 million.

Keisel has a great motor and he plays hungry, like Aaron Smith. Hope is a good, but not great, young safety, and it is difficult to find "good" talent at the safety position.

Also, according the Baltimore Sun, Jamal Lewis expressed interest in coming to the Steelers. Aside from the fact of the Steelers not having enough money to resign their own FAs, Lewis does not fit here. The Rooneys do not like players like Lewis, no matter their talent level.

Suitanim
02-23-2006, 11:46 AM
ARE is stated as wanting #1 receiver money. Since the Steelers paid last year for a #1 (Ward) and #2 (Wilson) receiver, he is clearly gone.

The vast overvaluation of Reggie Wayne by the Colts just sealed the deal for ARE.

Dook
02-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Let other teams price themselves out of the salary cap.

Kimo has said that he wants to stay in Pittsburgh and he is getting older so I?m sure we can get him to sign a 1 or 2 year contract for $1.5 (maybe $2m) a year.

augustashark
02-23-2006, 01:08 PM
The vast overvaluation of Reggie Wayne by the Colts just sealed the deal for ARE.

You hit it right on the head Suit. There are a whole bunch of #2 receivers out there today with big smiles on their face! Even though I look at Wayne as a #1 receiver (as far as talent), but the fact remains the same he will and for at least the next 2 to 4 years be a #2 receiver!

RoethlisBURGHer
02-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Ike-We WILL resign Ike
Townsend-possibly gone,might want too much
Williams-probally gone
Kimo-will probally be back for cheap
Kiesel-we'll resign and he'll get more playing time and be the full-time starter next year
Hope-probally wants too much to keep
ARE-wants too much to keep