PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger to train in Pittsburgh during suspension

SteelCityMom
08-31-2010, 07:55 PM
Roethlisberger to train in Pittsburgh during suspension
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Last updated: 7:07 pm

Ben Roethlisberger intends to work out with quarterbacks coach George Whitfield Jr. in Pittsburgh while he is suspended and possibly do some coaching at the high school level.

Roethlisberger revealed some of his plans for at least the first month of the NFL season to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review in a one-on-one interview today.

Roethlisberger will meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell Friday in New York about the six-game suspension he received in April for violating the league's personal conduct policy.

Goodell could reduce the suspension to four games because of good behavior.

"I don't know if it's going to be a discussion, it's going to be a question and answer or (Goodell) just does all of the talking," Roethlisberger said. "I think there are probably a lot of things I could tell him but I want to make sure that we have the right answers and the truth and the things we think will be beneficial."

In addition to bringing in the California-based Whitfield the two have worked together during past offseasons Roethlisberger said he will train with wide receivers that have been cut by NFL teams and want to stay in football shape.

"I am going to be doing a lot of drills, a lot of drops," Roethlisberger said. "I will do everything humanly possible that I can do to stay as sharp as I can with the things I am allowed to do."

He said he may also use the time away from the Steelers to be a volunteer coach at a local high school.

Roethlisberger has only watched one Steelers game on TV. That came in 2005 when he couldn't travel to Green Bay with the team because he was recovering from knee surgery.

"I don't think (that) was as hard as this will be," said Roethlisberger, adding that he will watch the games with his parents. "This is a different situation why I can't play. I will be so focused, taking mental reps on every single play."

In the interview with the Trib, Roethlisberger touched on a number of subjects, including suspicions of his motives for changing as well as why he is more at peace with himself.

On skepticism over the warm and fuzzy Ben that has been on display since the start of training camp, Roethlisberger said, "I've known from day one this is not going to be an overnight process. You're not going to win people back overnight. You're not going to win all of them back period. I wish I could but it's just not going to happen. But like I said my actions will speak volumes over the next days, weeks, months and years. I really believe that and I think people will (believe in his transformation), even the hard-headed ones that won't give me a chance. Over the years of seeing me and seeing that it's not just talk, more people will come around."

On why renewing his faith has made him a happier person, Roethlisberger said, "It's a calming feeling when the Lord runs your life. And it's something I've always known as a church person, but I've never really believed it. I think I've known it but never believed it. And now I know it, and it's a great thing."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_697314.html

zulater
08-31-2010, 08:06 PM
I'll be outraged if Goodell doesn't reduce the suspension to 4 games.

TackleMeBen
08-31-2010, 08:19 PM
where else was he going to train??? Georgia..:chuckle:

tony hipchest
08-31-2010, 08:33 PM
he needs to give santonio a call and tell him to get his butt back to pittsburgh. its a win-win for both guys.

PhantomJB93
08-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Now I wanna know what local high school he might coach at...

SteelCityMom
08-31-2010, 09:18 PM
he needs to give santonio a call and tell him to get his butt back to pittsburgh. its a win-win for both guys.

That would be a perfect idea...or have Ben go up there, either way they'd both make out great on the situation. I doubt it would happen though.

steeltheone
08-31-2010, 09:39 PM

Keep Ben away from that trouble maker...Go throw passes to the PITT wideouts...

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-31-2010, 09:43 PM
I figured he would head back to Ohio and train at Miami U. I like the idea of training with cut pros better. The skill level of those recievers is going to be better than college players.

tony hipchest
08-31-2010, 09:44 PM
jerry rice said he still thinks he could suit up and play. :tap:

SteelKnight
08-31-2010, 10:34 PM
where else was he going to train??? Georgia..:chuckle:

It could have been Florida. They have that camp down there (Leftwich and Brown were there this year).

It sounds good. It would be nice if it was with receivers who were cut from the Steelers so they could actually know the routes from the playbook (even though it would not be in their possession).

SteelKnight
08-31-2010, 10:36 PM
That would be a perfect idea...or have Ben go up there, either way they'd both make out great on the situation. I doubt it would happen though.

I forgot they were both suspended. lol Yeah. Santonio knows all the routes and he wants to stay in shape too.

TackleMeBen
09-01-2010, 07:16 AM
Now I wanna know what local high school he might coach at...
so can tell all your friends to keep their daughters at home while he is there???:chuckle:

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Built in excuse. Ben comes back and sucks- "Goodell is a POS he should have never suspended Ben." . If Ben comes back and does well- "Goodell is a POS he should have never suspended Ben"

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 08:02 AM
so can tell all your friends to keep their daughters at home while he is there???:chuckle:

Hey some people have young daughters. Ben is no pedophile, come on now :tt04:

steelcity1974
09-01-2010, 01:13 PM

Did you know...Santonio is allowed to workout with the Jets. Ben is not allowed to workout with the Steelers. Nice double-standard Goodell...personal conduct policy suspension has different rules than substance abuse policy. :huh:

TackleMeBen
09-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Did you know...Santonio is allowed to workout with the Jets. Ben is not allowed to workout with the Steelers. Nice double-standard Goodell...personal conduct policy suspension has different rules than substance abuse policy. :huh:
according to cba if you are suspended for substance abuse you can still workout with team. if its personal conduct you cant be near the team.

steelcity1974
09-01-2010, 01:29 PM
according to cba if you are suspended for substance abuse you can still workout with team. if its personal conduct you cant be near the team.

Right. Just one of many inconsistencies in NFL policies.

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 01:32 PM

This is something the PLAYERS voted on and has nothing to do with Goodell.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Built in excuse. Ben comes back and sucks- "Goodell is a POS he should have never suspended Ben." . If Ben comes back and does well- "Goodell is a POS he should have never suspended Ben"

Well....then, I 'd say the verdict is in: Goodell is a POS he should have never suspended Ben.

tony hipchest
09-01-2010, 06:17 PM

i never noticed that (actually never really paid much attention to it since steelers never get suspended by the league).

:mad: that is SCREWED up! :banging:

MasterOfPuppets
09-01-2010, 06:26 PM
vincent jackson ain't busy ...:noidea:

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Well....then, I 'd say the verdict is in: Goodell is a POS he should have never suspended Ben.

Righ on cue. Couldnt agree with you more.

1974/2.0
09-02-2010, 11:54 AM

Ben shouldn't have been suspended. Player in Miami was arrested for felonious assault on his pregnant girlfriend, no suspenion. I'd say it was a joke but any real Steeler fan knows Rooney helped push that through, one of the many things that still separate us from all other franchises.

What has Ben showed you this preseason or in camp that makes you think he will suck when he comes back? He has been stellar, looks even better than he has in the past. I already proved to you that he is currently the best QB in the NFL, an ALL TIME ELITE GREAT. He is just entering his prime, he's in the best shape of his career, and his head is finally where it needs to be. The rest of the league will hate the Commish for lighting a fire under Ben future HOF ass.

I read in another thread where you stated you knew more about the Steelers than any of their fans on this forum. I'll take that challenge, on one condition, loser is voluntarily banned from this site. SCmom can handle the contest, questions will be asked & answered over the phone with a small time frame to answer, google won't help you sorry.

I've been a fan for a long time, I watched the Steelers almost derail Miami's perfect season. Interesting story in that playoff game, Pitt dominated all game until Miami was punting yet again in the 3rd. Their punter had noticed we were pulling all day to set up returns, not defending the kick. While waiting for the snap, he decided, all on his own, to run a fake. He got the first & they scored on that drive. It swung the momentum of the game to the Fish & we never got it back.

Cleveland born & bred but I am a direct descendant of General John Forbes so I consider Pittsburgh my town lol. I'm pretty sure I've FORGOTTEN more than you will ever know about the Steelers, your own fav team w/e that might be, & the game of football in general, and I'm confident enough in that to step up.

Are you?

Hi SCmom, you're doing an excellent job modering the forum keep up the great work. I lived in Lake Wylie for 5 years miss it very much, mostly because the majority of people down there were just like you :)

Downbylaw
09-02-2010, 12:46 PM
I never said Ben would suck, you know Steeler knowledge but you cant read? SIGH. Loser is banned? Why would I want you gone? I wouldnt. I have no problem with competition, in fact I love it. Only a coward would want a competitor gone or banned. I am not that guy. I would want you to stay around so I can polish my already sparkling debating skills on you. No sir, I dont want you going anywhere, I want you right here where I can touch you everytime you get out of line. The fact that you want me gone, says a lot. Why would I have a contest on a board where EVERYONE hates me? Thats like going to a Nation of Islam meeting with my cross on and debating Louis Farakhan. How would that work out for me? Can you say as soon as they see me, BIAS. You have already lost simply by saying that Ben is an all time great and the best qb in the league. WOW. Lastly, IF it takes a guy 7 years to come to camp in the best shape of his life and to finally play up to his potential. Well that only means everything I have been saying about him is spot on.

1974/2.0
09-02-2010, 01:03 PM
I never said Ben would suck, you know Steeler knowledge but you cant read? SIGH. Loser is banned? Why would I want you gone? I wouldnt. I have no problem with competition, in fact I love it. Only a coward would want a competitor gone or banned. I am not that guy. I would want you to stay around so I can polish my already sparkling debating skills on you. No sir, I dont want you going anywhere, I want you right here where I can touch you everytime you get out of line. The fact that you want me gone, says a lot. Why would I have a contest on a board where EVERYONE hates me? Thats like going to a Nation of Islam meeting with my cross on and debating Louis Farakhan. How would that work out for me? Can you say as soon as they see me, BIAS. You have already lost simply by saying that Ben is an all time great and the best qb in the league. WOW. Lastly, IF it takes a guy 7 years to come to camp in the best shape of his life and to finally play up to his potential. Well that only means everything I have been saying about him is spot on.

Im not out of line I havent attacked you personally, yet. I will say you are a coward though, your talk is cheap and the fact that you won't bqack up what you say is priceless.. You are not a competitor or a peer, in any way lol. I already gave you the proof about Ben's accomplishments, it's below again if you want to make yourself look even more foolish and try to dispute the evidence.

The fact that I, & many others, want you gone is merely an indication of our opinion of the value of your opinion. Maybe you should ask yourself why you would stay where you are not only unwanted, but universally thought to be nothing more than an ignorant troll?

If you are so confident in your knowledge that you would claim to know more than everrrrryone here then why the hesitation?

1974/2.0
09-02-2010, 01:11 PM
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com..._the_best.html

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ram...ack-efficiency

Where is Brady on that list? That's not even all time. If Ben didn't play behind such a great defense he would easily break Elways record, & he STILL might with substantially less comeback chances.

I could post more stats, accolades, & records hes broken that will likely never be touched. There is also a valid, statistically based arguement that proves he is a better QB than Brady, & that's without taking into account his strength & mobility.

So was Terry Bradshaw btw, but you didn't get to see him play. He was Jamarcus Russel with a brain, an arm, and the heart of a champion. He unofficially ran a 3.3 30yd dash, translates into 4.4 speed. Should remind you of Ben but he was a better, TOUGHER runner & athlete by far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U1Xt...layer_embedded

I trust Tomlin & the coaching staff have a better idea than you or I of who needs what amount of snaps and with whom. Your assesment of Ben's ability casts credible doubt over the insightfullness and intelligence of all your other observations & opinions.

There is one list Brady adorns that you won't find Bradshaw or Ben on anywhere, those who LOST a SB. Besides, he cheated, so imo it's not even legit.

Back in the 1950s and 1960s, quarterbacks generally handed the ball off more often than they passed it – just like Big Ben does today. But when they did pass, it was typically a high-risk, high-reward downfield throw – much like those passes that Big Ben throws today.

(Of course, the true romantic might envision Big Ben back in the 1940s, slinging the ball down field on offense and then muscling up on defense a la Sammy Baugh. Big Ben certainly seems built like a linebacker, while Baugh, one of the best passers in history, was also a great defensive back.)

To put Big Ben in our comfort zone – that is, to discuss him through the pigskin prism of raw data – Roethlisberger is a throwback performer statistically.

In recent years, offenses have focused on short, high-percentage, low-risk passes more than they did in the past. Think the Joe Montana-Tom Brady school of passing theory, which was made possible by the rule changes of 1978 that spawned the Live Ball Era. (Brady and Montana might be as close statistically as any two passers in history.)

Montana entered the NFL in 1979, just in time to take advantage of the new rules, and under the right coach to take take advantage of the new rules, Paul Brown disciple Bill Walsh

Before Montana, teams tended to throw down the field more aggressively. Montana parlayed new-school offense into four Super Bowl victories and a reputation as the best ever at his position. Brady, before his injury this year, had taken the conservative strategy even further, turning a low YPA average (especially before 2007) and an extaordinarily low INT rate into an historically high passer rating and three Super Bowl victories.

So in recent years, per-attempt averages have generally declined in the NFL, while passer ratings (which reward high completion percentages and low INT rates) have skyrocketed.

Just three active players, for example, are in the top 15 all time in YPA (Warner, Roethlisberger and Peyton Manning). But every player in the Top 20 all time in passer rating began their careers in the Live Ball Era (1978-present). Fifteen of those in the Top 20 are still active.
Roethlisberger is the rare player high on both lists.

Brady is not...

Ben is ALREADY top 10 ALL TIME in QB rating, YPA, Completion %, & winning %.

Brady is not...

Ben is just entering his prime, and has accomplished all this behind lines that were far inferior to what Brady or Manning enjoyed. He is better, & more clutch, than them both, & there is your proof.

He is an ALL TIME ELITE QB, regardless of your misinformed opinion, and there is a clear statistical basis to consider him the best in the NFL right now. Where is ANNNNYTHING you have to offer that disputes any of this in any way?

You lost, & if you find the balls to take me up on my challenge, you will lose again. You remind me of that old comic, 'The Born Loser' lol, have a good day boy...