PDA

View Full Version : How would this make you feel

BigNastyD
02-23-2006, 08:48 AM
Ty law and Polamalu as a safety tandem. :willy:

Could Law be the answer?

Dale Lolley - Scout.com
February 22, 2006 at 5:42pm ET
At 32, Ty Law could be ready to make a position switch similar to the one Rod Woodson made to prolong his career.

The New York Jets released Aliquippa native Ty Law Wednesday as part of a salary cap purge.

That was the bad news for Law.

The good news is that even at 32, the 11-year NFL veteran has some options, one of which could prolong his career another three or four seasons.

Just as Rod Woodson did after leaving the Steelers, Law should be convinced that the best way to play another three or four seasons and assure his status as an NFL Hall of Fame player would be to shift from cornerback to free safety.

Though his coverage skills are slipping, Law showed in 2005 that he is still a ballhawk by recording a career-high 10 interceptions, giving him 46 for his career.

Where would Law end up as a free safety?

The Pittsburgh Steelers would certainly be interested, especially considering their own starting free safety, Chris Hope , is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next week.

Law signed with the Jets last year after visiting with the Steelers, a move that could lay some of the groundwork for the Western Pennsylvania native to come home. He knows the Steelers, they know him.

If he wants to take a couple of more runs at the Super Bowl - he already owns three Super Bowl rings from his days with New England - Pittsburgh would be the place to do it.

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2006, 08:53 AM
I personally do not want to see Ty Law sporting a B&G jersey. His age and past problems being the two main reasons.

First it was Jamal Lewis.

Then it was Ricky Williams.

Then Edge.

Now it's Ty Law.

For the most part, it's not the Steelers way of doing business. How often do we go out and sign a big name FA? It's not going to happen IMO. I would be very surprised If any of the players mentioned above are on this teams roster next year.

Suitanim
02-23-2006, 09:11 AM
Yup, agree 83...I NEVER want to see the Steelers become a "Win at any cost with any player" type of team. I've learned to respect the integrity and honor of the Rooney's and their franchise over the years, and I never want to see those things stripped away.

rowedf
02-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Ok, maybe I'm ignorant to this, but what has Ty Law done that has deemed him "non Steeler" material? I understand being considered a "big" free agent, but thats out the window in my book because they brought him in for interviews twice last year....so obviously they had interest.

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Ok, maybe I'm ignorant to this, but what has Ty Law done that has deemed him "non Steeler" material? I understand being considered a "big" free agent, but thats out the window in my book because they brought him in for interviews twice last year....so obviously they had interest.

Well, as I stated above, what he has done off the field is only one of three reasons why I would not consider him steeler "material and also why I don't see the Steelers signing him this offseason. But if you would like to focus on his off-field antics here you go........

For his X-bust: http://www.espn.go.com/nfl/news/2000/1220/964027.html

For his foot chase in Miami: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1785289

This is priceless...............According to police, Law told the two officers "not to touch him because he is a professional athlete.". Classy, real classy.

AvoidLLoyd95
02-23-2006, 10:42 AM
How often do we go out and sign a big name FA?
Last was some guy named Bettis.

Cape Cod Steel Head
02-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Last was some guy named Bettis.I think his name was Duce, and we all know how thats worked out thus far.

TexaSteeler
02-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Well, as I stated above, what he has done off the field is only one of three reasons why I would not consider him steeler "material and also why I don't see the Steelers signing him this offseason. But if you would like to focus on his off-field antics here you go........

For his foot chase in Miami: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1785289

This is priceless...............According to police, Law told the two officers "not to touch him because he is a professional athlete.". Classy, real classy.

I don't want some guy in our secondary that can't outrun your average law enforcement officer.

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2006, 11:36 AM
I think his name was Duce, and we all know how thats worked out thus far.

Yup. :rolleyes:

Chronicgaming
02-23-2006, 12:09 PM
I don't want some guy in our secondary that can't outrun your average law enforcement officer.

Maybe we can bring in that law enforcement officer for an interview... :rolleyes:

HburgXL06
02-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Respect da Rooney's. I agree wit Suit and it would be better to stay wit da integrity tat da Steelers have established over da years rather than to sign any big name player wit hopes for big wins. Obviously this guy has problems wit authority n thinks he can get away wit anythin by how he has acted da last two times he has run into da law. Also he is from da patriots n you kno how well da pat n Steelers like each other. I can picture this guy in da future if he came into our franchise tryin to do it all himself n not listenin to nobody, includin other players n coaches. I'm sure if someone did try to put him in his place or just coach him he would get arrogant n state somethin like: "I'm da one wit three rings not you" and think himself da better player because of that. We've seen what assh*le players like this do to teams as evident by T.O. and da eagles this past season. I don't want our team torn apart because of some loudmouth who can't shut up. We don't need to "win at any cost for any player." We have done fine gettin players who aren't big names when they first start and buildin them into superstars (Hines Ward, Ben Roethlisberger). You know you have da right idea when you have players takin pay cuts to stay on da team to play (Jerome Bettis). If we start da pattern of payin anythin to get good players its gonna put in da minds of da players we already have to ask for more money and then spirals down until we just like any other team spendin a fortune to have one really good superstar player but nothin else. Keep it like it is and I think we will do well. Peace.

BuFu

SteelerFanInCA
02-23-2006, 12:32 PM
All that integretity stuff sounds really nice but I sure as hell don't want to wait another 26 years to win another Super Bowl!!!

pvpyrch@netzero.net
02-23-2006, 12:41 PM
:rolleyes: I absolutely agree.....Ty Law can still play and would be a great asset to the Steelers!

pitt
02-23-2006, 01:07 PM
I DON"T want Ty Law here. He'd just be trouble.

mdhus
02-23-2006, 01:11 PM
Ty law would be too much of a cap hit...he is not coming to pittsburgh.

siko

augustashark
02-23-2006, 01:19 PM
I still think that if we can't resign Hope then maybe our next best option would be to put Coke back there and see what he can do. I don't think he will be a very good corner but he could be a very good FS. Sometimes the position you want to play is not where you can be the best. Take Kordell, I believe he could have been a pro bowl receiver but he held to the fact that he was going to be a hof QB! Coke knows the defence and would not have to learn the system from scratch. I think he has the size and speed. If he buys into the same theory that Kordell did then he will be here one more year and thats it.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-23-2006, 01:35 PM
I would still take J. Lewis. It was reported that he wanted to play for the steelers next year because him and Cowher have a good relationship......

SISTINAS
02-23-2006, 01:41 PM
the Steelers would ONLY try to bring in Law if they cannot resign Hope. I personally would rather have Hope - he's younger and he knows the system. "Stick to your own" as Tony Soprano would say......

RoethlisBURGHer
02-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Last was some guy named Bettis.

We traded for The Bus,he wasn't a free agent.

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Yup, agree 83...I NEVER want to see the Steelers become a "Win at any cost with any player" type of team. I've learned to respect the integrity and honor of the Rooney's and their franchise over the years, and I never want to see those things stripped away.

Hell yeah. If we were Philly, Baltimore, Miami, Oakland or Minnesota then I could understand. IMO, It's called smart business, keeping your dignity and having class.

pvpyrch@netzero.net
02-23-2006, 04:14 PM
I would still take J. Lewis. It was reported that he wanted to play for the steelers next year because him and Cowher have a good relationship......
All I know is that Ty Law always played well against the Steelers. He is a local guy from Aliquippa, PA and he wants to play for the Steelers. I think any problems off the field will have no impact on how he plays. As far as J. Lewis, I really wonder whether or not his best days are behind him. And remember, he had problems off the field as well.

AvoidLLoyd95
02-23-2006, 06:04 PM
We traded for The Bus,he wasn't a free agent.
My Bad. I don't consider Duce being a big time sign. I didn't like that pick-up much when it happened and still think it was a dubious one. Hopefully next year he will live up to the hype he had, however big or small as it was.

Suitanim
02-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Riddle me this...why would we let Hope go (who is 26 and just hitting his prime) and then turn around and probably end up paying MORE for Ty Law who's 32 and winding down his career?

Summation: If we can't afford Hope, we can't afford Law (who we would never sign anyway).

Next topic.

tony hipchest
02-23-2006, 08:01 PM
his visit to the steelers last year was pretty much a courtesy on their part with a little bit of probing interrest in getting him for a little more than the vet minimum. it was pretty much a rouse on his part to garner other teams interest and to drive up the asking price.

if he made as much money off the jets as a question mark, hes gonna demand alot more this year as a probowler. funny thing is the raiders can probably get him for way cheaper than if they franchised c. woodson again or offered him a long term deal.

t. law is one of the biggest megalomaniacs in the league and at this point he is willing to go to one of the highest bidders even if he dont feel they have a shot at it all. san diego and the vikings could definitely afford him. i think the cheifs could really use him. i bet al davis really wants him.

like suit said, if we cant afford hope, we cant afford law

3 to be 4
02-23-2006, 08:54 PM
his visit to the steelers last year was pretty much a courtesy on their part with a little bit of probing interrest in getting him for a little more than the vet minimum. it was pretty much a rouse on his part to garner other teams interest and to drive up the asking price.

if he made as much money off the jets as a question mark, hes gonna demand alot more this year as a probowler. funny thing is the raiders can probably get him for way cheaper than if they franchised c. woodson again or offered him a long term deal.

t. law is one of the biggest megalomaniacs in the league and at this point he is willing to go to one of the highest bidders even if he dont feel they have a shot at it all. san diego and the vikings could definitely afford him. i think the cheifs could really use him. i bet al davis really wants him.

like suit said, if we cant afford hope, we cant afford law

Both Law and Milloy thought they personally won the Super Bowl for the Patriots in 2001.
They had been good players under Parcells (and secondary coach Belichick) in 1996 and by 1999 they were floundering and overpaid. Belichick came back to New England, cut out the deadwood, help to revitalize both players, and carried the Patriots to a team orientated miracle of epic proportions. As soon as the game was over both of them were spouting off with the WE SHOCKED THE WORLD and strutting around like it was their personal victory. Ty Law had an AWESOME game in the 2003 AFCC Game. That being said, i loved it when the Patriots won it all without him in 2004.

DIESELMAN
02-24-2006, 01:11 AM
Riddle me this...why would we let Hope go (who is 26 and just hitting his prime) and then turn around and probably end up paying MORE for Ty Law who's 32 and winding down his career?

Summation: If we can't afford Hope, we can't afford Law (who we would never sign anyway).

Next topic.
Damn good point Suit...and I hope he doesn't expect more then a 1 or 2 year deal from anybody....

SISTINAS
02-24-2006, 07:21 PM

Next topic.

Absolutely correct

Mr. Clean
02-24-2006, 08:35 PM
The Steelers will not sign Ty Law. Law is still a decent player, but Pittsburgh put him through two physicals last year and he did not pass.

Suitanim
02-24-2006, 08:54 PM
The Steelers will not sign Ty Law. Law is still a decent player, but Pittsburgh put him through two physicals last year and he did not pass.

Is that what it was? Never heard that...I DO know that team speed in the secondary is what lost us games 3-4 years ago, and Cowher was damned determined to never have that happen again.

Stlrs4Life
02-24-2006, 10:23 PM
It would be nice, but too much $$$$$.

bigbensgirl7
02-25-2006, 10:20 AM
This was a big discussion here last year. I don't think Law was ever given a full physical becasue he was still recovering, however, he wanted big money and the Steelers just weren't willing. There is absolutely no way we see him in a Steelers uniform this year or ever, if it was going to happen it would have already.

rowedf
02-26-2006, 03:53 PM

I was unaware of those incidents, thanks for giving links. But, like I said before, they showed interest last year by bringing him in for a couple visits. Those incidents were both befor that, so I guess his personal character isn't that much of a question to the FO.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2006, 03:59 PM
If they actually did sign him, then I could understand. Last I recall, Law was never on our roster. Showing some interest and signing a guy are two different scenario's. Who knows? Maybe Rooney was close to signing him and took his off-field antics into consideration? We don't know. Eitherway, the guy never wore B&G, I don't ever see the bum wearing B&G and good riddance.