PDA

View Full Version : Ben reps will ask Goodell to reduce by atleast 3 games

tony hipchest
09-01-2010, 05:31 PM
as per espn. good luck. :thumbsup:

Ken_Laird RT @espn Sources: Ben Roethlisberger to ask #NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to reduce suspension - http://es.pn/aPcKiO #steelers
4 minutes ago via TweetDeck

SteelCityMom
09-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Sources: Steelers QB wants shorter ban

By Sal Paolantonio
ESPN
Archive
In Friday's meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, Ben Roethlisberger's representatives plan to ask the commissioner to reduce the six-game suspension by at least three games, bringing along team president Arthur J. Rooney II to the New York meeting to support the quarterback's case, sources with knowledge of upcoming proceedings told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio.

Roethlisberger was suspended in April for six games for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy a week after prosecutors decided not charge him in a case involving a 20-year-old college student who accused him of sexually assaulting her in a Georgia nightclub in March.

At the time, Goodell pledged to consider reducing the length of the suspension if Roethlisberger complied with a number of league imposed conditions, including a comprehensive behavioral evaluation, and stayed clear of any other off field problems.

Most observers believe Goodell has had in his mind all along to reduce the suspension by two games to four. But Roethlisberger's attorney, David Cornwell, is expected to ask for a greater reduction in the suspension, according to those with knowledge of discussions between the commissioners office and the quarterback's representatives.

Some in the Roethlisberger camp have argued since Roethlisberger is the first player suspended by Goodell under the personal conduct policy who has not been arrested, charged with or convicted of a crime, he should not be suspended more than two games. His camp has always considered the six game suspension too harsh. But few believe Goodell will go that far, and some in the Roethlisberger camp do not want to anger the commissioner by asking for too much.

Goodell wrote to Roethlisberger in April: "The Personal Conduct Policy makes clear that I may impose discipline 'even where the conduct does not result in conviction of a crime' as, for example, where the conduct 'imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person' ....or conduct that 'undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL.' "

At the time of the suspension, Rooney released a statement agreeing with and supporting the Goodell's ruling. It's not known what role Rooney will play during Friday's meeting between the commissioner and Roethlisberger.

If the suspension is reduced to four games, as expected, Roethlisberger would presumably spend the Steelers bye in Week 5 getting ready to start at home against the Cleveland Browns in Week 6 -- giving him two weeks of preparation for his first game back.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5520964&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

tony hipchest
09-01-2010, 05:34 PM
jinx... you owe me a coke.

stb_steeler
09-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Good luck Ben :thumbsup:

SteelCityMom
09-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Damn you beat me by one minute. :sofunny:

I'll merge them.

Fire Haley
09-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Bout damn time!

Ambassador Rooney, get in there and kick some ass!

MasterOfPuppets
09-01-2010, 05:41 PM
it'll never happen. godell didn't leave the door open, to reduce below 4. besides...the rooneys lobbied for the harsh penalty...some posters have said so ...:jerkit:

StainlessStill
09-01-2010, 05:48 PM
It won't hurt to try.

Hell, by this point, I don't see why not since Goodell is holding possibly one of the worst double standard rules attended to certain players this season that it's beyond laughable.

It's okay for Michael Vick to be involved in a shooting with ties to a birthday night club, countless numbers of DUI's being let slide by multiple players within the same organization, Pro athletes like Vince Young caught on tape for beating a fan & letting other players slide, like Santonio Holmes, who violated the NFL policy but yet gets to practice with teammates, gets to watch game film and train on the facility while a player like Roethlisberger, who wasn't arrested or convicted by allegations, isn't allowed to have such privileges. Goodell is ****ing up the whole entire system into a laughing stock.

That would be sweet if Ben gets 3, just in time to spank the Ravens in a big divisional game. I still think it'll be 4 though.

steelerchad
09-01-2010, 08:23 PM
I'll be shocked if it goes to 3. Love it to happen though.

stb_steeler
09-01-2010, 08:36 PM
It won't hurt to try.

Hell, by this point, I don't see why not since Goodell is holding possibly one of the worst double standard rules attended to certain players this season that it's beyond laughable.

It's okay for Michael Vick to be involved in a shooting with ties to a birthday night club, countless numbers of DUI's being let slide by multiple players within the same organization, Pro athletes like Vince Young caught on tape for beating a fan & letting other players slide, like Santonio Holmes, who violated the NFL policy but yet gets to practice with teammates, gets to watch game film and train on the facility while a player like Roethlisberger, who wasn't arrested or convicted by allegations, isn't allowed to have such privileges. Goodell is ****ing up the whole entire system into a laughing stock.

That would be sweet if Ben gets 3, just in time to spank the Ravens in a big divisional game. I still think it'll be 4 though.

That list goes on and on with all the other players not mentioned. Speaking of DUI, didnt cedric benson get another one?

pittguy578
09-01-2010, 09:00 PM
It won't hurt to try.

You forgot about Rey Rey from the Bengals. He was intoxicated and driving an underage girl around who was also intoxicated. He hit parked cars, and could have killed himself and his passenger. And wasn't Roger upset about Ben "supplying" underage girls with alcohol?

Steel_Bus_24
09-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Should have only been 2 games if any at all given what other players have done

reading the comments section of that article makes me sick

I can't stand people accusing and lying about serious issues without the whole truth being represented.........Its why I can't stand to look at politics anymore

Downbylaw
09-01-2010, 09:25 PM
I don't know why you guys always set yourself up for disappointment. Goodell has been CLEAR that the suspension could go below six BUT NOT below 4. SIGH

http://twitter.com/NFLprguy/status/20405869369

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/05/nfl-clarifies-suspension-stance-on-roethlisberger/?related=1

PhantomJB93
09-01-2010, 10:11 PM
I don't know why you guys always set yourself up for disappointment. Goodell has been CLEAR that the suspension could go below six BUT NOT below 4. SIGH

http://twitter.com/NFLprguy/status/20405869369

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/05/nfl-clarifies-suspension-stance-on-roethlisberger/?related=1

As I heard someone say today, "Art Rooney II and company would probably NOT make the trip out if they didnt realistically believe that they have a legitimate shot of reducing it below 4."

Im not getting my hopes up but I honestly wouldnt be surprised if it happens. When Goodell made the statement about 4 minimum, the Steelers organization had nowhere NEAR the argument and leverage they do now. Since then, he has let Vince Young, Cedric Benson, Ray Maulauga, Shaun Rodgers, and a few other off without suspensions when ALL were actually CHARGED and had evidence against them in their respective cases. Aside from the respect the Steelers' organization already commands, all they really have to say is "Look, you gave our guy, who wasnt convicted of anything, a harsher suspension than you give convicted substance abusers, and you let a guy who brought a loaded gun on an airplane, a guy caught drunk driving, and a guy caught on tape assaulting someone in a nightclub all off the hook with no suspension whatsoever" and they already have a VERY convincing and legitimate argument, and im sure they have more arguments up their sleeves as well if theyre really all going with Ben to the meeting.

Spinlcrack
09-01-2010, 11:10 PM
As I heard someone say today, "Art Rooney II and company would probably NOT make the trip out if they didnt realistically believe that they have a legitimate shot of reducing it below 4."

Im not getting my hopes up but I honestly wouldnt be surprised if it happens. When Goodell made the statement about 4 minimum, the Steelers organization had nowhere NEAR the argument and leverage they do now. Since then, he has let Vince Young, Cedric Benson, Ray Maulauga, Shaun Rodgers, and a few other off without suspensions when ALL were actually CHARGED and had evidence against them in their respective cases. Aside from the respect the Steelers' organization already commands, all they really have to say is "Look, you gave our guy, who wasnt convicted of anything, a harsher suspension than you give convicted substance abusers, and you let a guy who brought a loaded gun on an airplane, a guy caught drunk driving, and a guy caught on tape assaulting someone in a nightclub all off the hook with no suspension whatsoever" and they already have a VERY convincing and legitimate argument, and im sure they have more arguments up their sleeves as well if theyre really all going with Ben to the meeting.

Great point about the leverage. What I'd like to hear at the press conference would be something like...

ROG: Before I speak, I would like to call to the stand, Mr. Rooney.

Art II: The Steelers lobbied the Commisioner for a harsh punishment. Though Ben was not charged with crime, his actions have been a poor reflection upon this organization, himself and our family. I believe he has realized the error of his ways and is working diligently in correcting many flaws. He has shown publicly and privately his renewed commitment......
So, in this light, we have asked Commisioner Goodell for a lenient decision regarding Ben's suspension. Thank you.

ROG: Ben and I have met. I've spoken to his coaches and his family. He has been fully compliant with the ruling, in fact, more so. Mr. Rooney asked for harsh measures...almost a "Scared Straight" situation. With the progress Ben has seemed to make and with Mr. Rooney's blessing, Ben's suspension will be suspended. If he does any jackbutt thing, at any time, he will immediately serve a 6 game or more suspension, but for now, he will be available for the season opener.

This way, everybody looks good. Rog doesn't apply a double standard, The Steelers look like they are taking care of their wayward son and Ben becomes a role model.

Sounds good to me.

SteelKnight
09-01-2010, 11:25 PM
I have been hoping for 3 games every since I saw we were playing the Ravens in game 4. That game could decide who gets into the playoffs and its our home game vs the Ravens. It's important.

Downbylaw
09-02-2010, 05:24 AM

What has changed sincd August 5th? Again, Being charged has nothing to do with the conduct policy. Making the league look bad does. Ben put himself in a situation whether charged or not, made the league look bad. How has that changed? You guys can bring up every case you want to but NONE of those cases combined had as bad a negative effect on the league as Bens.

Downbylaw
09-02-2010, 05:28 AM
Goodell took a hard stand with Ben for a reason. To show all the other big time athletes that violation of the conduct policy wont be tolerated no matter who you are. If Goodell lightens his stance now, he will lose credibility. It will show the other players that if you are punished all you have to do is act goo for a period and then ask for the suspension to be reduced. Granted, Ben has been on his best behavior for 5-6 months but the suspension was for a pattern of behavior for the last 23 months. Goodell has always had a rep for being a disciplinarian, why you guys think he is going to soften that stance now is a mystery to me.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Sounds like to me that Steeler Nation should be in NY at the meeting outside the NFL offices....

cloppbeast
09-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Goodell has always had a rep for being a disciplinarian, why you guys think he is going to soften that stance now is a mystery to me.

Maybe if you read what they just said, it wouldn't be a mystery.

TackleMeBen
09-02-2010, 09:19 AM
goodell can do what he wants. ben can ask for a smaller suspension but it doesnt mean goodell will do it.

joeyssteelcurtain
09-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Sounds like to me that Steeler Nation should be in NY at the meeting outside the NFL offices....

lets go sounds like a good plane

Downbylaw
09-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Maybe if you read what they just said, it wouldn't be a mystery.

What they just posted has nothing to do with reality. Its all wishful thinking from Steeler fans. However, what Goodell actually said carries more weight in my opinion. One thing is for certain. We will see.

SteelCityMom
09-02-2010, 10:34 AM
lets go sounds like a good plane

Roadtrip!!!!

jev7452
09-02-2010, 10:43 AM

AGREED!! If i wasnt stuck in Hurricane Earl territory right now I would try to find a way up there.. but does anyone know what TIME this meeting is being held tomorrow??

steeltheone
09-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Hell no.... he deserves the full 6 games...And i am a big BR7 fan...

Downbylaw
09-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Oh I'm sure the Steeler faithful will be there waving towels galore. No one travels like us. I was in Detroit in 05 (actually 06) to see us win #5 and it was a site to see. SOOO SPECIAL

Fire Haley
09-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Roadtrip!!!!

You and me baby!, we'll pick up my buddy Hussein on the way, if that's OK - - he says he's tight with the Rooneys.

SteelCityMom
09-02-2010, 06:10 PM
You and me baby!, we'll pick up my buddy Hussein on the way - - he's tight with the Rooneys.

Only if he brings the beer and smoke. And gas money. And Cheetos.

LukesDad88
09-02-2010, 06:26 PM
It won't go below four games for one very reason: Goodell wants this story to go away as quietly as possible. After the meeting on Friday when they drop it to 4, it will be news for one day, and will be out of the public consciousness by Monday. If they drop it lower, though, then it's going to be making news over the next week and a half, and none of it will be good.

Take the 4 weeks and smile. It could have turned out a lot worse.