PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Channel hostage-taker hated programming

SteelCityMom
09-02-2010, 12:03 PM
By DAVID DISHNEAU and SARAH BRUMFIELD, Associated Press Writer 57 mins ago
SILVER SPRING, Md. A gunman police shot to death after he took hostages at Discovery Channel's headquarters said he hated the company's shows such as "Kate Plus 8" because they promote population growth and its environmental programming because it did little to save the planet.
Three hostages two Discovery Communications employees and a security guard escaped unhurt after the four-hour standoff Wednesday in Silver Spring, just outside the nation's capital. After several hours negotiating with the gunman, tactical officers moved in when authorities monitoring him on building security cameras saw him pull out a handgun and point it at a hostage, Montgomery County Police Chief Thomas Manger said.
Capt. Paul Starks, a county police spokesman, identified James J. Lee on Thursday as the suspect.
Manger said and officer shot and killed Lee after hostages began moving and police heard a "pop" they believed to be either a gunshot or an explosive device detonating.
Lee repeatedly said he was "ready to die," according to Manger.
It wasn't the first time Lee, a homeless former Californian, had targeted Discovery's headquarters. In February 2008, he was charged with disorderly conduct for staging a "Save the Planet Protest." In court and online, he had demanded an end to Discovery Communications LLC's shows such as TLC's "Kate Plus 8" and "19 Kids and Counting."
Instead, he said, the network should air "programs encouraging human sterilization and infertility."
"Humans are the most destructive, filthy, pollutive creatures around and are wrecking what's left of the planet with their false morals and breeding cultures," Lee wrote in a bitter manifesto on his website.

more...http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_discovery_channel_gunman

Geez...just change the channel or read a book. :doh:

MasterOfPuppets
09-02-2010, 03:03 PM
i would have been pissed if he blowed up the discovery channel. thats one of the few channels i actually watch on our worthless over priced cable. if these idiot wanna blow up a station, blow up one of those stupid shopping networks that peddle the junk jewelery....:mad:

chacha
09-02-2010, 06:39 PM
:globe: So now the planet has one less person, he got his wish!

"Kate Plus 8" and "19 Kids and Counting." really do suck big time, he had a point. Just went a little extreme with his point though, just a tad

zulater
09-02-2010, 08:23 PM
If I could blow up a channel it would be nickelodian because of their nic at night package. I remember when they first came around and they put on old episodes of great shows like Mary tyler Moore, Cheers, Newhart etc..., now it's one episode after another of crappy shows I never watched in the first place.

Stinky Fred
09-02-2010, 11:22 PM
http://www.crissgarcia.com/images/kill_your_tv001.JPG