PDA

View Full Version : Carolina game tonight observations

SteelKnight
09-02-2010, 10:54 PM
I couldn't watch the game since I'm out of the Pittsburgh area. I'll have to wait until Saturday 8PM to see it on NFL Network.

Can you guys give your observations?

Who played well...who didn't? Anything interesting besides Lefty getting hurt?

SteelCityMom
09-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Dwyer had a real nice game, and for the short time Dixon was in he looked good as well.

Butler was absolutely beast tonight as was Sylvester.

All in all it was a pretty good game. Didn't get as many into the EZ as you would have liked to have seen, but they were playing really conservatively for most of the game.

JEFF4i
09-02-2010, 11:00 PM
The thing I like about DIxon's TD pass was that he knew he had 6, but he ALSO knew that he had to make his motion smaller with the pressure from the right.

I GUARANTEE you 5 second release Lefty doesn't make that pass in those circumstances.

SteelKnight
09-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Dwyer had a real nice game, and for the short time Dixon was in he looked good as well.

Butler was absolutely beast tonight as was Sylvester.

All in all it was a pretty good game. Didn't get as many into the EZ as you would have liked to have seen, but they were playing really conservatively for most of the game.

Thanks. I really like Butler.

I was looking at Dwyer's stats on NFL.com and I said too bad...he had a bad game...16 rushes for 27 yards...while I was doing the math I looked back and it was 17 rushes for 65 yards or so then another 21 yard rush for the 18th. Why were the first 16 so bad?

I saw several times they kept running it when Batch was in there.

We really need o work on Red Zone plays. That was our problem last year.

I guess it's good we held on to Batch eh...lol

SteelKnight
09-02-2010, 11:03 PM
The thing I like about DIxon's TD pass was that he knew he had 6, but he ALSO knew that he had to make his motion smaller with the pressure from the right.

I GUARANTEE you 5 second release Lefty doesn't make that pass in those circumstances.

The thing I noticed about Dixon last week is he stares down his receiver. That will lead to picks.

JEFF4i
09-02-2010, 11:06 PM
The thing I noticed about Dixon last week is he stares down his receiver. That will lead to picks.

Very true. But learning to look off a defender is easier than switching your throwing motion.

Yeah, I know that regular season isn't the time to learn for a team like ours, but, not like we have much of a choice.

Downbylaw
09-02-2010, 11:07 PM

Dixon was late on that read. Sanders was sitting there like a hitchhiker saying THROW IT THROW IT!. Leftwiches pass to Sanders was the best ball of the night imo

Downbylaw
09-02-2010, 11:07 PM

EXACTLY!!!!

Stinky Fred
09-02-2010, 11:08 PM
I couldn't watch the game since I'm out of the Pittsburgh area. I'll have to wait until Saturday 8PM to see it on NFL Network.

Can you guys give your observations?

Who played well...who didn't? Anything interesting besides Lefty getting hurt?

Our starters on both sides looked like @#$%. And I have no idea what they were doing out there against their scrubs. Once we got the 1st team off and it was scrubs against scrubs, it we stabilized and most of our scrubs were playing like the wanted jobs. But it was scary for a while there though. Lefty goes down and Dixon comes in and throws a 23 yd TD. It was a thing of beauty. Sanders has been making great catches – looks like Holmes when he was “on”. We gotta keep Sylvester – the kid is in on every play. Alonzo Worilds is a mystery to me. The scrub line, with the exception of Hartwig, looks better than the starters.

IMHO, Sanders, Brown, and Redman made it. Sylvester, Butler, and Dwyer need to stick. Any of them is good enough for a roster spot and won't clear waivers. Gibson? Meh. Worilds? Seriously?

BlockMonsta
09-02-2010, 11:22 PM
If fred was out there he would show up all these "scrubs".

SteelKnight
09-02-2010, 11:51 PM
EXACTLY!!!!

By the way Down, you do so much arguing, there is no way the board should allow you to continue without submitting your 53 man roster. it is easy to talk without having to predict cuts and back them up. You can share yours on the Educated 53 thread...if you are not afraid. lol

I agree with you that Dixon's pass got there a second late.

Ben's pass to Battle was off too. Had he thrown a better ball, battle would have gotten the easy first down. It'll take him a couple of games to get rid of rust. Fortunately we play Cleveland for his first game.

ajs8207
09-03-2010, 12:02 AM
I didn't see the game. You guys are saying Dwyer really needs to stick. Really? 2 carries for 57 yards. 18 carries for 29 yards. Now I'm only looking at nfl.com so maybe you guys saw something that the stats don't show. His stats scream practice squad to me. Were there things he did that didn't show up in the box score?

MasterOfPuppets
09-03-2010, 12:03 AM

I was looking at Dwyer's stats on NFL.com and I said too bad...he had a bad game...16 rushes for 27 yards...while I was doing the math I looked back and it was 17 rushes for 65 yards or so then another 21 yard rush for the 18th. Why were the first 16 so bad?

thats it !!! people get so fixated on one or two big plays, they forget about all the other 20 carries that went for 2 yds or less , and declare the player the next great.... people did the same thing with redman last year , and couldn't understand why he was only a PS guy....:doh:

zulater
09-03-2010, 12:11 AM

Offensive line ring a bell? :coffee:

SteelCityMom
09-03-2010, 12:30 AM
thats it !!! people get so fixated on one or two big plays, they forget about all the other 20 carries that went for 2 yds or less , and declare the player the next great.... people did the same thing with redman last year , and couldn't understand why he was only a PS guy....:doh:

That's my bad...I listened to most of the game on the radio feed while trying to post here. I really only noticed the big plays lol. I didn't realize he had so many short carries.

SteelKnight
09-03-2010, 04:54 AM
Batch, the longtime backup who looked to be in danger of not making Pittsburgh's roster, played the final 2½ quarters and handed off on nearly every play. Batch attempted just four passes.

Maybe that's why Dwyer had trouble running. It's not easy when the defense is ready because you've run 7 times in a row.

SteelKnight
09-03-2010, 04:57 AM
LOL Batch passed for 10 yards in 2 and 1/2 quarters? lol

Downbylaw
09-03-2010, 05:46 AM
By the way Down, you do so much arguing, there is no way the board should allow you to continue without submitting your 53 man roster. it is easy to talk without having to predict cuts and back them up. You can share yours on the Educated 53 thread...if you are not afraid. lol

I agree with you that Dixon's pass got there a second late.

Ben's pass to Battle was off too. Had he thrown a better ball, battle would have gotten the easy first down. It'll take him a couple of games to get rid of rust. Fortunately we play Cleveland for his first game.

I'm afraid. Sorry

Downbylaw
09-03-2010, 05:51 AM
My observation is that again, Tomlin mismanaged the qb situation. Leftwich should have been the starter and then he possibly wouldnt have gotten hurt. He starts Ben with the 1st team (A guy who cant play for 5 more weeks). He puts the Steelers in jeopardy by playing the week 1 starter behind a patchwork OLine. The results are Leftwich gets hurt. Now we are left with Down to run Dixon and Crack easy Charlie. My bet is that Charie Batch starts. I still will not back off of my 4-0/3-1 prediction. STEELERS ARE GOOD!!

Spidey
09-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Dwyer isn't being considered for a spot on the roster because of what he has done on the field.

It's because we risk losing him if put on the PS. He's a bigger name than say Red was last year and he was expected to make the Roster, it'll turn a few heads if he hits the PS that's for sure.

SteelKnight
09-04-2010, 09:52 PM
That's my bad...I listened to most of the game on the radio feed while trying to post here. I really only noticed the big plays lol. I didn't realize he had so many short carries.

I'm watching the game know. Dwyer made two more excellent long runs brought back by holding...including a TD.

SteelCityMom
09-05-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm watching the game know. Dwyer made two more excellent long runs brought back by holding...including a TD.

Yeah, I do remember that TD being called back. Very ticky tacky holding call if I remember correctly.

I didn't realize either, until someone mentioned it, that Batch only threw 4 passes. As was mentioned, that would be a big reason that Dwyer got so many short carries.

He made a lot of good moves I think (after watching some highlights), I'm glad he made the cut. I'm very pleased with our RB core right now.

SteelKnight
09-05-2010, 04:16 AM
Yeah, I do remember that TD being called back. Very ticky tacky holding call if I remember correctly.

I didn't realize either, until someone mentioned it, that Batch only threw 4 passes. As was mentioned, that would be a big reason that Dwyer got so many short carries.

He made a lot of good moves I think (after watching some highlights), I'm glad he made the cut. I'm very pleased with our RB core right now.

Yeah. He did well. Many times their 9 in the box were in the backfield before he took his first step. I think he would do fine behind a first team line with mixing it up. Not only did Batch only throw 4 times but the 4 times were all obvious. All the rest were definite runs.

He looked good. And by the way, many times I saw Summers missing blocks.

Legursky was getting beat as bad as Hartwig. Let's hope Pouncy doesn't get injured. I don't know what they see in Legursky. He is no good. They should try to get a FA center wo also plays guard who is taller than 6'1 for the PS (6'3-6-4 sounds good...only because of arm length...I kno it doesn't always correlate). My sister was in Italy doing fasion design and she said she noticed their arms were shorter than Americans...we should pay attaention whether linemen with short arms are Italian. lol