PDA

View Full Version : Steelers win meaningless game vs. Panthers, lose meaningful QB Leftwich

SteelCityMom
09-03-2010, 12:10 AM
By NFL.com Wire Reports

All of a sudden, losing Ben Roethlisberger for at least a month isn't the Pittsburgh Steelers' only quarterback concern.

Byron Leftwich, expected to be the Steelers' fill-in starter while Roethlisberger is suspended, injured his left knee Thursday night and appears to be out indefinitely.

Leftwich, tuning up for his anticipated Sept. 12 start against the Atlanta Falcons, sprained the knee during the second quarter of the Steelers' 19-3 preseason-ending victory over the visiting Carolina Panthers. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Leftwich would undergo an MRI on Friday, but a league source told NFL Network insider Michael Lombardi there are concerns about serious damage to the quarterback's medial collateral ligament.

Pro Players Solutions, which claims to be affiliated with Leftwich, tweeted that the quarterback tore his MCL. That most likely would end his season.

Leftwich's teammates certainly sounded discouraged after the 19-3 victory. Backup quarterback Charlie Batch called it a "serious" injury, and Dennis Dixon -- now the likely starter in Pittsburgh's season opener -- said he couldn't talk to Leftwich because doctors were so intensely working on the knee.

"It's an opportunity, I guess, but it's unfortunate for Byron for what he went through," said Dixon, who has started only one NFL game. "But this team has to continue to go forward. I know once he's going to come back, he's going to give us nothing but tremendous support."

More here...http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010090255/2010/PRE4/panthers@steelers/recap/full-story

tony hipchest
09-03-2010, 12:26 AM
this really sucks.

regardless of which side you are on with the "dixon vs leftwhich for starter" argument, he is a great team mate, consumate pro, and all around good guy.

by all means he had earned the rights to back up roethlisberger. fortunately for the steelers, dixon has done no less.

Wallace108
09-03-2010, 12:31 AM
My concern now, and it really isn't that far-fetched, is what if Dixon gets injured? We know Batch can't last more than a quarter. :noidea:

tony hipchest
09-03-2010, 12:38 AM
My concern now, and it really isn't that far-fetched, is what if Dixon gets injured? We know Batch can't last more than a quarter. :noidea:

some of the logic i've heard so far says that batch is the most qualified to be a starter, because he is a vet who needs no reps to get ready.

in that case we are in the most excellent shape with randle-el!

mikegrimey
09-03-2010, 12:49 AM
some of the logic i've heard so far says that batch is the most qualified to be a starter, because he is a vet who needs no reps to get ready.

While it's certainly a rational point that Batch does have a history of injury comparing his readiness to play to Randle-El's isn't.
Batch has played numerous games and has come off the bench before, it wouldn't be virgin territory for him. From what we've seen of Dixon he still has a lot of problems to iron out.

Wallace108
09-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Quite honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with Batch starting. But just make sure Dixon is warming up early in case someone breathes too heavily on him and Batch breaks or tears something ...

tony hipchest
09-03-2010, 01:01 AM
While it's certainly a rational point that Batch does have a history of injury comparing his readiness to play to Randle-El's isn't.

exactly! :applaudit:

im glad somebody gets the absurdity!

so when was the lat time batch actually started a game? i think it was 2005.

the last time he started more than 3 in a row? what was it.. like 8 years ago?

regardless, we have 4 qb's on the roster and may be down to 2.

i would say we are more than lucky to have batch and dixon, as opposed to any other team's 3rd stringer.

as unfortunate as the situation is, it is a "good" problem to have, considering the circumstances.

im not gonna hit the panic button yet.

Wallace108
09-03-2010, 01:09 AM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa261/drgreenediscussions/panicbutton.gif

mikegrimey
09-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Yea there's no cause to panic. It's not Byron has ever played at a pro-bowl level. We're mostly going to need whoever is playing QB to avoid the bad mistakes (like INTS especially redzone INTS). The defense and running game are going to need to play hard. We may resemble a Cowher-style team for the first few games.

SoCalFan
09-03-2010, 01:21 AM
We WILL pick up a new QB to fill the 4th,or3rd for now spot,any guesses?Whos available???

Wallace108
09-03-2010, 01:23 AM
We WILL pick up a new QB to fill the 4th,or3rd for now spot,any guesses?Whos available???

Jeff Garcia? :noidea:

SteelCityMom
09-03-2010, 02:05 AM
Jeff Garcia? :noidea:

Someone mentioned in another thread that he signed a contract in the UFL, and that it might be tricky to get out of.

Wallace108
09-03-2010, 02:31 AM
Someone mentioned in another thread that he signed a contract in the UFL, and that it might be tricky to get out of.

Well in that case, I say we trade for Favre. :chuckle:

Steel-Bryan
09-03-2010, 03:21 AM
Leinart ?:noidea:

SteelKnight
09-03-2010, 03:46 AM

Batch, the longtime backup who looked to be in danger of not making Pittsburgh's roster, played the final 2 quarters and handed off on nearly every play. Batch attempted just four passes.

WTF?

Curtain_of_Steel
09-03-2010, 07:46 AM
I rather go with Dixon anyway. I think now going with dixon without Dixon looking over his shoulder might be even a better thing. He won't be worried about making a mistake.

They just need to let him be mobile and roll out, PA's etc.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-03-2010, 07:50 AM
As far as Batch handing off? Well since he had a softer O-line in there than usual, would you really want your back up to the backup's backup getting hurt in a drop back pass route in a less than meaningless game? Seriously?

Let the O-line work on the running game and give the rb's the action unless batch got hurt taking the handoff he was going to be fairly safe.

tony hipchest
09-03-2010, 09:02 AM
As far as Batch handing off? Well since he had a softer O-line in there than usual, would you really want your back up to the backup's backup getting hurt in a drop back pass route in a less than meaningless game? Seriously?

.our starting o-line may be the softest line we got.

rookie center, plus the right side is made up with a career back up, with an aged veteran playing out of position at RT.

thats a sack waiting to happen for leftwich or batch. batch does nothing but hand off because he hasnt thrown more than 10 passes in a real game in 5 years.

its suprising his arm hasnt atrophied.

steelerchad
09-03-2010, 09:53 AM
I was a Lefty guy, but now I'm a Dixon guy and we all should be. I had a little more confidence in Lefty keeping the ship steady in the short term, but Dixon showed last year he's capable of playing in this league. I just felt Lefty might not be prone to making a big mistake at a crucial time. Dennis brings a different skill set and can move this offense, he just needs to be composed and not get forced into TO's.

We do need to pick up an emergency QB though. Leinart? probably not. Garcia to me would be great. What about a guy who's been in our system before. St. Pierre? Where's he at now?

fer522
09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
this is the bottom line if we commit to running the ball then we shoudl not have a problem starting Dixon i know hes thrown some stupid passes but now he knows this is his team and hes not competing with anybody for the job and hopefully that will give him more confidence lets not forget Baltimore he did not even know he was gonna play and frankly i think he did a very good job.
in Dixon we trust

Kanata-Steeler
09-05-2010, 12:08 PM
2 Pre-season weeks' of games should be enough, having over a month(4-weeks) of too many "MEANINGLESS" pre-season games is well meaningless. ?
I mean 2 weeks of pre-season games', mixing it up, is more than enough for the players to get in the grove, not to mention all they're rigourous practicing up to this point.
Besides, I'm pretty sure the NFL will be possibly adding a couple more city franchises over the next few years (aka Toronto) ?,
so they'll need to think about extending the REGULAR-season and down-size the length of the pre-season weeks.