PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign???? to replace Leftwich!

SoCalFan
09-03-2010, 01:25 AM
Any guesses on who We might pick up?How about Matt Leinart:toofunny:

Fire Arians
09-03-2010, 01:33 AM
jamarcus russell lol

scsteeler
09-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Any guesses on who We might pick up?How about Matt Leinart:toofunny:

Hell now.

tony hipchest
09-03-2010, 09:27 AM
charlie batch.

he was gonna be cut to make roster room for a younger player, but now we are forced to keep him, and his entire yearly salary is guaranteed.

SoCalFan
09-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Of course Batch will stay! I still think they will bring in another QB to have a 3rd guy until Ben is back.

CargoJon
09-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Leinart would be hilarious considering half the Cardinals team is former Steelers.....

StainlessStill
09-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Of course Batch will stay! I still think they will bring in another QB to have a 3rd guy until Ben is back.

Tunch Ilkin on the post game show brought up a great point considering who to bring in for depth reasons only. Not sure on the status, but if Brian St. Pierre is out there, don't be shocked to see us snag him.

ETL
09-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Jeff Garcia - with our OL we need someone who can scramble

mikegrimey
09-03-2010, 12:49 PM
I don't think they're going to get a "replcement" for Leftwich as in someone else to be the starter. They'll either go with Dixon or Batch, maybe both, but we do gotta get somebody for depth, don't think there's anybody substantial out there so one may not be much different than another.

scsteeler
09-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Why would we want to go out now and sign someone for 4 games that does not even know the system and most likely would not do any better that Dixon or Batch. We will be fine and I think leftwich getting hurt was a blessing in disguise in my opinion.

Dixon will get a chance to grow some as a QB and if he flops really really bad for 4 games then you know that its to time to release him at the end of the season.

DoubleYoi
09-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Why would we want to go out now and sign someone for 4 games that does not even know the system and most likely would not do any better that Dixon or Batch. We will be fine and I think leftwich getting hurt was a blessing in disguise in my opinion.

Dixon will get a chance to grow some as a QB and if he flops really really bad for 4 games then you know that its to time to release him at the end of the season.

Big Ben doesn't count towards the 53-Man roster during his suspension so there'd be no reason not to sign another backup for insurance reasons, if nothing more. And how is Leftwich's injury a "blessing in disguise?" I like that Batch will be around now but I trust that the Steelers would've cut the least-capable QB when they get down to 53 players. Dixon is most likely the long-term backup here in Pittsburgh. Unless he plays lights out and gains leverage to sign a big deal elsewhere after this season.

steeltheone
09-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Tyler Palko..

rbryan
09-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Dixon has one bad outing in preseason and suddenly Charlie Batch is the answer? I don't get it. Did anyone see the Ravens game last year? I couldn't help but think that Dixon was doing better than what Big Ben would have done ....at least for that day.

All bets are off for these first 4 games. Forget about trying to make Dixon into a conventional drop back passer. I can't say I have much faith in him ever becoming that either. Put in a package for him that takes advantage of his ability to roll out of the pocket and run or throw and take your chances with the young gun.

I have a real bad feeling about CB playing behind this OL. BTW I also agree with the post about Leftwich's injury as a blessing in disquise. He wasn't the answer either.

mikegrimey
09-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Dixon has one bad outing in preseason and suddenly Charlie Batch is the answer? I don't get it. Did anyone see the Ravens game last year? I couldn't help but think that Dixon was doing better than what Big Ben would have done ....at least for that day.

All bets are off for these first 4 games. Forget about trying to make Dixon into a conventional drop back passer. I can't say I have much faith in him ever becoming that either. Put in a package for him that takes advantage of his ability to roll out of the pocket and run or throw and take your chances with the young gun.

I have a real bad feeling about CB playing behind this OL. BTW I also agree with the post about Leftwich's injury as a blessing in disquise. He wasn't the answer either.

Dixon went 12-26 in the Raven's game and nearly threw game changing INTs several times. Near the end of the game inparticular his inexperience started to show. He completed 5 whole passes in the 2nd half and overtime most of which we played from behind. Say what you want about Ben's eccentric play but he would have been far better to have in an OT situation than Dixon.
I'll credit Dixon for making the big TD run and for showing flashes in a game he had little time to prepare for but if you don't think Ben could have done better than 12-26 you're kidding yourself.

And it's not that Dixon was just bad against Denver he was the kind of bad that can derail a game for you. His habit of locking in on one receiver and staring him down will get old fast in the regular season just like scrambling every time a play doesn't go right. This isn't the 90's and teams will be better prepared to play a "slash" type of QB. Nobody here is touting Batch as "the answer" but I for one think he would do a better job of managing the game and avoiding silly mistakes.

We're counting on our defense to once again be the team's strength especially over the first 4 games and if they are we should be in some close games. As it stands right now Batch has the experience and smarts and has proven he can make some throws if counted on. Not many of us are so sure with Dixon.

We will see though. I have my money on Batch but I wouldn't count on the coaching staff putting Dixon in. Hopefully I'm wrong about him and he proves worthy.

ricardisimo
09-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Just like with Batch, I think any thoughts that ARE wasn't going to make the cut are squashed, or no? He could be the #3 for the first four games, I'd think.

TheWarDen86
09-03-2010, 05:22 PM
charlie batch.

he was gonna be cut to make roster room for a younger player, but now we are forced to keep him, and his entire yearly salary is guaranteed.

Holy shit, Tony's a Mod. :chuckle:

Jeff Garcia - with our OL we need someone who can scramble

Always said he'd be a great fit.

I think Charlie deserves a shot. Kinda felt bad that he didn't get more reps during pre-season. I'm not sold on Dixon and Lefty's inability to scramble AT ALL was a concern with our o-line.

Steelerfreak58
09-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Leinart would be a good pick up if he comes cheap.

MasterOfPuppets
09-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Holy shit, Tony's a Mod. :chuckle:

yep....there's a new sheriff in town...

http://www.cinemaretro.com/uploads/walking2.jpg

Fire Arians
09-03-2010, 10:41 PM

i wouldnt pick him up for tree fitty

Corey_J
09-03-2010, 11:17 PM
We dont need another fn QB ! We have 2 that are just fine . We only need em for the first 3 games as the 4th we will hand off 90% of the time to try and play d-fense to win. We might as well use Randle el at qb vs. the ratbirds as they will handcuff dixon anyway. Remember last year ? They cuffed him and then let him go in the 2nd half and then we had a shot to win ...........

TheWarDen86
09-04-2010, 09:16 AM

i wouldnt pick him up for tree fitty

I wouldn't take that waste of skin unless he came with a 1st or 2nd round draft pick.

ETL
09-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Pat white just got cut. I don't want him but he's a steeler fan