PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Uniform.. the coolest in NFL!

steelersfanmx
02-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Its an old article.. but ITS TRUE!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jay_mohr/11/09/mohr.sports/index.html

PisnNapalm
02-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Well, we already knew this. :rolleyes: ;)

SteelerMurf
02-24-2006, 05:52 PM
One team (the Browns) has nothing on its helmets. The Browns make my short list of ugliest NFL uniforms. Brown and orange are not colors for a football player. They are colors for a person who works at Burger King. When the Browns wear their home jerseys, the offensive linemen look like a collection of UPS trucks. Except UPS is faster

Poor Brownie fans have to wear the UPS Unis

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2006, 05:59 PM
UPS is faster

And they know how to deliver.

FanecaFan66
02-24-2006, 06:04 PM
I believe UPS also has as many Superbowl Titles as the Browns

Stlrs4Life
02-24-2006, 07:14 PM
The Browns by far have the worst unis in the NFL.

PisnNapalm
02-24-2006, 08:29 PM
I dunno... I think the Bungles are pretty bad too. The Brownies just edge them out though.

Suitanim
02-24-2006, 08:34 PM
"The New England Patriots have the greatest uniforms of any sports team in any sport played anywhere in any universe"

< LITP >

SteelerDan43
02-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Of course I think the Steelers have the best uniforms... I am much more partial to the old school style.

My Top 3
1. Steelers
2. Bears (prefer the white C though)
3. Packers

My Bottom 3
1. Falcons
2. Cardinals
3. Seahawks

Suitanim
02-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Hmmmpf...interesting.

Top 3:

Steelers
Raiders
Packers/Colts (tie)

Bottom 3:
Bungals
Denver/Bungals (tie)
Ratbirds

Honorable mention. I used to love the old Cards jerseys and they would have made my top 3...now I hate them and they join my bottom 3.

Mr. Clean
02-24-2006, 09:32 PM
(no, I am not a writer for Queer Eye for the Straight Guy)

The Detroit Lions had good looking jerseys until Matt Millen had them changed.

I disagree with Mohr's take on the Giants. They went back to their 1950s-1960 unis. The Jets went back to their 1960s jerseys several years ago. The Bills started out the season wearing their 1960s jerseys and they are far better than what they wear now. The Lightning Bolts' fans prefer their throwback powder blues.

The Steelers' jerseys with the block numbers (from the late 1960s through 1996) were the best jerseys in the NFL. Straightforward, intimidating and sharp. It goes without saying that the Steelers' logo is the best.

The Bengals used to wear the same exact jerseys as the Browns. Both teams have ugly colors and ugly jerseys. Very ugly. The ugliest. The Bungles look like Tootsie Rolls.

SteelerDan43
02-24-2006, 09:58 PM
This is a quality site that shows all the uni's from 59 - 02

http://www.athlegraphic.com/FFP/1950s/1959.htm#

Hawk Believer
02-24-2006, 10:21 PM
I gotta disagree about the Browns' uniforms. The fact that they have no logo and use colors that aren't conventionally regarded as attractive makes them the coolest uniforms in the league in my book. The fact that they are the only team that had the perseverance to resist making some commercialized logo on their helmets is great. And for those who complain about their the ugly colors....its football for crisakes! We should all be happy to watch a team play in a uniform that is the color of dirt. Better that than trying to make dress up in "pretty", trendy colors (like my Hawks).

I am no fan of the Browns, but I think that their use of a classic uniform that defys today's standards of comerciallism in sports is a breath of fresh air.

My vote for best uniform goes to Clevland.

SteelerDan43
02-24-2006, 10:27 PM
I am no fan of the Browns, but I think that their use of a classic uniform that defys today's standards of comerciallism in sports is a breath of fresh air.

I dont mind their uniform style, simple stripes is where its at but they did give into the comerciallism with that god awful great pumpkin orange jersey... Stick with the Brown home and White away. Third jerseys are jokes ala the Dolphins. The one jersey change that needs done is for the Bills to switch permanetly to the 60's jerseys. Their current ones are so misguided its ridiculous...

HburgXL06
02-24-2006, 11:40 PM
About da Steelers logo: of course it's gonna be intimidatin because while other teams got to make up logos and try to find an image ours is rooted in da city itself and da logo is too. WE ARE STEEL. Don't come at us because we don't break. Don't try to stop up because we'll crush you. Da logo has purpose and gives da image that we are true to what and who we are. It sets an image that you see da same logo on Sunday that you see on I-beams in your office at work on Monday, or in your car, or in all sorts of things around. It was Pittsburgh that made da steel that built da cities of da teams we play and that alone gives us da right to tear them down. Others try to create an image, ours was created for us and we true to it.

BuFu

SteelerMurf
02-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Worst:

Browns (Brown, enough said)
Seahawks (what color is that and why lime green stripes?)
Broncos (flouresent orange hurts my eyes)
Bengals (way too buys, thousands of stripes all over)

I mean, to buy a home replica jersey of any of those teams would make me want to puke.

Of course the Steelers are the best and I also like more of the old school simple unis with simple logos on the helmets. These swooshy animals like the panters, jags, broncos are horrible.

Only new style jerseys I like are the Carolina blue home jersey's they where a couple times a year?

Cape Cod Steel Head
02-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Someone should e-mail that article to Chad ( Ike Taylor owns me ) Johnson.

83-Steelers-43
02-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Worst top three in my opinion....

1) Browns

2) Seahawks

3) Bengals

Best top three in my opinion....

1) Steelers

2) Jets

3) Raiders

clevestinks
02-25-2006, 02:48 PM
No.1 Steelers home by far.
No.2 Steelers away
No.3 Tampa away

Backnblack
02-25-2006, 05:36 PM
This is a quality site that shows all the uni's from 59 - 02

http://www.athlegraphic.com/FFP/1950s/1959.htm#

Click the Uniform link at the top of the page, Seems to have been hijacked.

silver & black
02-25-2006, 07:10 PM
About da Steelers logo: of course it's gonna be intimidatin because while other teams got to make up logos and try to find an image ours is rooted in da city itself and da logo is too. WE ARE STEEL. Don't come at us because we don't break. Don't try to stop up because we'll crush you. Da logo has purpose and gives da image that we are true to what and who we are. It sets an image that you see da same logo on Sunday that you see on I-beams in your office at work on Monday, or in your car, or in all sorts of things around. It was Pittsburgh that made da steel that built da cities of da teams we play and that alone gives us da right to tear them down. Others try to create an image, ours was created for us and we true to it.

BuFu

No offense meant, but I was told by a buddy of mine, who is a die hard Steelers fan, that the logo came from Cleveland. Can anyone shed some light on this?

silver & black
02-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Best

1-Raiders
2-Steelers
3-Bucs

Worst

1-Broncos
2-Browns
3-Bengals

HburgXL06
02-25-2006, 07:39 PM
No offense meant, but I was told by a buddy of mine, who is a die hard Steelers fan, that the logo came from Cleveland. Can anyone shed some light on this?

It was a cleveland steel company that originally came to da Steelers and with da idea to put the US Steel logo on da side of da helmets. The owners agreed and on a trial basis put da logo only on da right side of the then gold colored helmets. When da helmets were changed to black it looked even better and it's been kept da same ever since. If anyone ever tries to play da Steelers for takin da design idea from a cleveland company it can only be argued that cleveland didn't have anything to offer for them so they came to da best place: Pittsburgh. haha

BuFu

silver & black
02-25-2006, 10:10 PM
It was a cleveland steel company that originally came to da Steelers and with da idea to put the US Steel logo on da side of da helmets. The owners agreed and on a trial basis put da logo only on da right side of the then gold colored helmets. When da helmets were changed to black it looked even better and it's been kept da same ever since. If anyone ever tries to play da Steelers for takin da design idea from a cleveland company it can only be argued that cleveland didn't have anything to offer for them so they came to da best place: Pittsburgh. haha

BuFu

Cool. Thanks for the info. I learned something today.:thmbup:

Lyn
02-25-2006, 10:18 PM
In 1962, Republic Steel of Cleveland approached the Steelers and suggested
that they use the Steelmark logo on their helmets since they represented the
Steel community.

The Steelers were hesitant to use what amounted to an advertisement on their
uniforms but decided to give it a try. At the time they were wearing gold
helmets and weren't sure what the decals would look like.

So they instructed the equipment manager to put them on just the right side,
so they could see the helmets with and without the logo to see how it
looked.

The Steelers finished that season 9-5 - the best in team history. That was
considered a good omen, and they decided to keep using the logo.

In 1963, the Steelers petitioned the Iron and Steel Institute for the right
to modify the logo to read "Steelers" instead of "Steel".

They also changed the color of the helmets from gold to black to better show
the logo. They are already getting questions about why the logo is on just
one side and decide that the uniqueness of it warrants keeping it that way.

The Steelers go 7-3-3 and win the right to play the Giants for the division
title. They lose, but it is considered another excellent omen and the helmet
has remained virtually unchanged since (only a center stripe and the player
number have been added. The facemasks were gray but changed to black in the
late 70s).

So it was a little uncertainty and a little superstition that made it that
way. The Steelers are the only team in the NFL, CFL, WFL or CFA that wear a
logo on only one side.

SteelCityMan786
02-25-2006, 10:25 PM
We already knew our jersey looks the best.

SteelerMurf
02-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Steelers should have used these when they had that throwback year back in the mid-90's, the ones we used were awful, probably the worst throwbacks in the league that year.

and they have one similar to this one I show below but with yellow helmets see link attached
http://www.athlegraphic.com/FFP/images/1950/Pittsburgh59.gif

http://www.athlegraphic.com/FFP/images/1960/Pittsburgh63.gif

FanecaFan66
02-26-2006, 11:57 PM
I actually thought the throwbacks they wore for the 75th Season were freakin awesome.

And I wish you could purchase one somewhere. I have actually been trying to get my hands on one for years now and the only one I've ever seen was in one of the lockers of the Great Hall in Heinz Field :-(

SteelerMurf
02-27-2006, 12:30 PM
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/3028/pitt-v-colts.jpg

blackngoldbaby
02-27-2006, 04:28 PM
ive always thought the steelers have had the best uniforms ever scince i started watching them play. the ugliest uniforms though are the bungels uniforms GOD NO ONE IN THEIR ORGANIZATION MUST HAVE ANY TASTE AT ALL!!!

HburgXL06
02-27-2006, 06:34 PM
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/3028/pitt-v-colts.jpg

Is that the throwback? I can't see the helmet logo and how does that tie into the Steelers of the past?

BuFu

SteelerDan43
02-27-2006, 06:59 PM
That jersey is a throwback to long before the Steelers had the logo... Not sure on the exact year but it might even be back when we were the Pirates

FanecaFan66
02-28-2006, 01:18 AM
I might be the only person in the universe that appreciates that jersey. But the 1933 retro jersey is incredible and I want one!!! haha

SalukiSteelers
03-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Best: Chargers powder blues with the lightning bolt on the helmet. Freakin' awesome. Old school Lions from the fifties -- no flash, solid colors, classics. I like the rounded #'s on the Steelers 'uni's -- they give Cowher's Steelers a little different look from Noll's while still maintaining a classic feel. Saints uni's from the Eighties with the black jerseys, gold pants, and gold helmets with the fluer d'lis -- something a little different. The Raiders' uni's are tight -- tough to go wrong w/silver and black and a pirate logo.

Worst: Old and new Rams, though old's are a little cooler. Classic Cowboys though I like the blue star on the white helmet. What the hell are the 'Hawks thinking with those uni's -- they look like a chemical spill. The old Bucs' uni's with the swashbuckling gay sailor -- queer eye for the football guy. Old or new Donkeys' uni's -- orange and blue = puke and pukier.