PDA

View Full Version : Torn MCL for Leftwich

TackleMeBen
09-03-2010, 10:51 AM
according to espn afc blog he will be out indefinately.. this cant be good for us.:banging:

scsteeler
09-03-2010, 11:03 AM
We will be fine. It will only be 4 games and this will force the Steelers to do what they have done in the past and that is Run, Run, & Run the ball and play good defense. Yes we will have to pass some but overall we should be fine.

If we can get 2 of the 4 we will be fine.

Downbylaw
09-03-2010, 11:19 AM
When everyone KNOWS you will Run, Run, Run i.e 8 and 9 in the box at some point you have to pass, pass, pass.

StainlessStill
09-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Byron Leftwhich out indefinitely with an MCL sprain. Dixon likely to get the start but I am officially on the Charlie Batch bandwagon and using both quarterbacks with Dixon as our spark package. All I got to say is D-E-F-E-N-S-E.

CargoJon
09-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Frankly I don't think the idea of Byron being under center excited most of us anyway. I'd rather Dixon and/or Batch at this point. I never wish injury on anyone but there is a silver lining here....

SteelCityMom
09-03-2010, 04:21 PM
PPG is reporting a sprained MCL and that he will be out 2-4 weeks.

Ed: Leftwich Out 2-4 Weeks
Friday, 03 September 2010 12:39
Written by Ed Bouchette

Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich has a sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee and he will miss two to four weeks with the injury, a source told the Post-Gazette today.

Leftwich, the presumed starter during Ben Roethlisberger’s four-game suspension, was injured during the second quarter of Thursday night’s preseason game against the Carolina Panthers at Heinz Field.

The Steelers have two other quarterbacks on their roster, longtime veteran Charlie Batch and third-year player Dennis Dixon.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/104759-ed-leftwich-out-2-4-weeks

Fire Haley
09-03-2010, 04:31 PM
I actually feel better with Lefty gone from the picture. Maybe it will force the team to make some changes on offense. They were treating this whole situation like Ben was still playing - shake them up.

StainlessStill
09-03-2010, 04:38 PM
I actually feel better with Lefty gone from the picture. Maybe it will force the team to make some changes on offense. They were treating this whole situation like Ben was still playing - shake them up.

There's not that much more than we can shake up. We spend an entire 4 game pre-season with a goal oriented philosophy as Leftwhich as our Quarterback. That has all changed now, forcing us to come up with a plan scheme wise that goes more into the direction of a Dixon/Batch type personal. We got 10 days to scramble.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-03-2010, 04:40 PM
When everyone KNOWS you will Run, Run, Run i.e 8 and 9 in the box at some point you have to pass, pass, pass.

We didn't seem to have any problems running the ball with 8 or 9 stacked in the box until the last few years.... besides the Bus, Barry Sanders, and some of the other guys wee have had over the years, even parker used to be able to move the rock when there were 7 or 8 guys stacked in the box. When Faneca left and Hartings retired, Simmons got diabetes, and Marvel Smith's back went, so did our normally dominant running game....

We can get back to that. By all accounts and from what I have seen so far, our Oline is geared more towards running the ball and driving defenders backwards. Our pass protection has been inconsistent because you are asking a bunch of 300+ pound behemoths to backpedal and try to keep themselves in between mostly smaller, faster defenders and our QB. Arians just needs to learn how to use his personnel better.

Fire Haley
09-03-2010, 08:49 PM
There's not that much more than we can shake up..

Bullshit

Instead of all those 7 step drops with s l o w developing crossing patterns over the deep middle you call more roll outs with Dixon to one side with a short and long receiver choice or run more swing passes to the RB or throw to the TE as your #1 option.

Lots of ways to move the ball. Fire Arians and hire me.

tony hipchest
09-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Bullshit

Instead of all those 7 step drops with s l o w developing crossing patterns over the deep middle you call more roll outs with Dixon to one side with a short and long receiver choice or run more swing passes to the RB or throw to the TE as your #1 option.

:applaudit: our "11 personel" group (3WR/1RB/1TE set for the newbs) just added another weapon.

while a few more interceptions will be expected, im sure dixon will not lose as many fumbles as ben or lefty. K.I.S.S. may show little drop off in production.

but the title of this thread keeps getting me.

"Welcome to mcdonnalds, may i help you?

"Yes, I'd like a pulled pork McLeftwich please.

Steelerfreak58
09-03-2010, 10:32 PM
I wanted Dix to be the starter anyways. We will get to see what he does now.

StainlessStill
09-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Bullshit

I agree that the possibilities are certainly there for Dixon to step up and offer more of a open playbook with roll-outs and everything, but the problem with rolling out often is that when the quarterback rolls out to one side of the field, more times than none the ball is going towards that side of the field, which takes away the opposite side to which defensive coordinators could realize this really quickly and shift their coverage to one side of the field givin' the format of the offense. There probably isn't too many designed roll-outs in our system and believe Arians would call the majority of the snaps he would with Ben but more vanilla and careful, esp the first 2 games.

At one point or another, Dixon is going to have to step up in the pocket while the pocket is collapsed and nowhere to run, and deliver it downfield with accuracy and THAT concerns me. Like you said, this might open up Heath more than ANYONE on the offensive side of the ball with Dixon in to give him a reliable 2nd option if a first read basis isn't there. Heath is now as valuable as ever.

I guess we'll see soon. Can't wait to see how we all respond to this.

Corey_J
09-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Its better for us anyway !!!!!!!! I hate for anyone to be injured but this may be a blessing from god !!!!!!!

Fire Haley
09-04-2010, 01:38 AM
At one point or another, Dixon is going to have to step up in the pocket while the pocket is collapsed and nowhere to run, and deliver it downfield with accuracy and THAT concerns me. Like you said, this might open up Heath more than ANYONE on the offensive side of the ball with Dixon in to give him a reliable 2nd option if a first read basis isn't there. Heath is now as valuable as ever.

I guess we'll see soon. Can't wait to see how we all respond to this.

aye - there's the rub -

Dixon will never turn into a pocket passer in a week- even when the line gives him perfect protection, he hesitates, then still wants to run.

I'd use the next week of practice and do nothing but have him throw deep balls to Wallace. When defenses crowd the line to stop our run game and his scrambling the only way to make them pay is to throw it deep. If he can't do that, we're in deep shit. Dinkin' and dunkin' with Dixon won't be enough, we need some radical changes in the gameplan and I'm afraid Arians is too stupid or lazy to figure that out.

MasterOfPuppets
09-04-2010, 03:03 AM
if arians was smart, he'd steal some pages out of oregons playbook.

J-N6yY1mHCo

Spinlcrack
09-04-2010, 04:22 AM

Unless you execute so well that your opponent cannot succeed. Everybody knew The Steelers were going to run. Try and stop 'em.

Not always the case now though...

ricardisimo
09-04-2010, 04:37 AM
I think it's interesting that the Trib's "inside sources" are saying they are leaning towards Dennis, while the Gazette's are sources have them betting on Charlie. This should give us a good idea of who has better intel, or who does their journalistic homework better.

rick723
09-04-2010, 08:11 AM
aye - there's the rub -

Dixon will never turn into a pocket passer in a week- even when the line gives him perfect protection, he hesitates, then still wants to run.

I'd use the next week of practice and do nothing but have him throw deep balls to Wallace. When defenses crowd the line to stop our run game and his scrambling the only way to make them pay is to throw it deep. If he can't do that, we're in deep shit. Dinkin' and dunkin' with Dixon won't be enough, we need some radical changes in the gameplan and I'm afraid Arians is too stupid or lazy to figure that out.

Dinkin & Dunkin sure will work in the hands of Mike Wallace and EL. Even Ward makes positive yerds after catches. Sanders too

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Unless you execute so well that your opponent cannot succeed. Everybody knew The Steelers were going to run. Try and stop 'em.

Not always the case now though...

Pats knew it and stopped it fast. Whiz had no answer. Good defense will dictate what the offense will do, like ours does. We have too many weapons at receiver to just run the ball. Coordinators will try to take the run away and thats fine batch will light them up. He is a cerebral guy. Much smarter than Ben, Leftwich and Dixon combined. I still go back to the fact that Leftwich should have been the starter and then he would be playing in week 1.

StainlessStill
09-04-2010, 09:39 AM
aye - there's the rub -

Agreed. Everyone thinks that with Dixon in there, that all of a sudden we're going to explode with creativeness. From the sounds of it, the coaching staff will play Dixon safe and tell him to manage the game, in which, Batch would be our best option to manage the first 4 games if that's the route we are willing to take. Dixon's inexperience certainly has the coaching staff hesitating more than ever. If they were confident in Dixon's ability, he would of been named the starter already.

Fire Haley
09-04-2010, 11:30 AM
From the sounds of it, the coaching staff will play Dixon safe and tell him to manage the game, in which, Batch would be our best option to manage the first 4 games if that's the route we are willing to take.

yeah - but Charlie will shatter into a million pieces on the first hit - I'd let Dixon start the first game.

Nobody says 1 QB has to be our "starter" - I don't care who starts the game - alternate halves or quarters or whoever can move the offense - let them.

Get Dixon out on the edge though, and challenge defenses, I'm convinced that's the way to go.
run the ball up the middle a few times, then bam - roll him out and let him run, please.

Downbylaw
09-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Agreed. Everyone thinks that with Dixon in there, that all of a sudden we're going to explode with creativeness. From the sounds of it, the coaching staff will play Dixon safe and tell him to manage the game, in which, Batch would be our best option to manage the first 4 games if that's the route we are willing to take. Dixon's inexperience certainly has the coaching staff hesitating more than ever. If they were confident in Dixon's ability, he would of been named the starter already.

Not necessarily.Tomlin has already stated that he likes the dynamic of keeping the Falcons guessing. I dont think he would have name Leftwich the starter until late in the week for that reason.

jollyrob68
09-04-2010, 12:10 PM

I agree, Shake it up. Se what the Kid has. Start BAtch to take the pressure off of Dixon, Bring him in in packages and if he gets rolling let him roll.

I want the to release leftwich and inquire about Matt Leinart as insurance.

ricardisimo
09-06-2010, 04:35 PM
I think it's interesting that the Trib's "inside sources" are saying they are leaning towards Dennis, while the Gazette's are sources have them betting on Charlie. This should give us a good idea of who has better intel, or who does their journalistic homework better.

It seems that Mr. Brown at the Trib has the better sources. It's a shame, because I prefer Bouchette as a writer. He's a funny dude.

Fire Haley
09-06-2010, 04:38 PM
I'd let Dixon start the first game. .

Just like I perdicted

Who's the asstoot king now? Huh?

That's right, me, baby.

It's all about me. Where's my karma?